Holy Man

5.5

1. Nov 16, 2010
    This is not a very good movie. I saw it in the theaters when it originally came out in 1998. I made a mistake and picked this movie over Antz because I thought a comedy with Eddie Murphy had to offer a few laughs. The movie also seemed to have potential. It is a comedy about a soulless home shopping network executive who hires a guru to help boost his image and sales. In reality, itThis is not a very good movie. I saw it in the theaters when it originally came out in 1998. I made a mistake and picked this movie over Antz because I thought a comedy with Eddie Murphy had to offer a few laughs. The movie also seemed to have potential. It is a comedy about a soulless home shopping network executive who hires a guru to help boost his image and sales. In reality, it is a boring movie filled with Jeff Goldblum monologues. Seriously, a lot of the movie is filled with close ups of him reading his script in a monotone voice. This movie is a prime exhibit of how horrible of an actor Jeff Goldblum is. He was unconvincing. He also had no chemistry with his love interest. The only reason this movie rates a 2 instead of a 0 or a 1 is Eddie Murphy. Some of the scenes with Eddie Murphy were funny. The problem was he was not the prime focus of the movie. The movie centered on Jeff Goldblum who simply is not a good actor. The movie might have been a little better with a different actor, but it still wouldnâ Expand

Tom Schulman's script is on the sloppy side and offers few surprises; still, it's not entirely bereft of laughs.
    A love story about two people with no apparent chemistry, whose lives are changed by a stranger who remains an uninteresting enigma. No wonder it just sits there on the screen.
  3. For all the funny possibilities of Mr. Murphy's neat transformation here, the latest comedy from Stephen Herek ("Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure," "The Mighty Ducks") doesn't know what to do with him.