5.9

1. Mar 18, 2014
    I admire Jason Stathan. He is not made for the Oscars, Golden Globes or any awards but still he's unstoppable. He is the only kinda surviving and serving in cinema successfully. When it comes to the commercial cinemas anyone can easily pick this mans movies to watch any given day. It is guaranteed entertainment. I always wanted to praise him for his contribution to the commercial cinemas who made stabilize over the recent fast growing graphic-cum-commercials.

The Story of this movie was not freshly squeezed. You can find similarities with other movies. Not the whole movie, part by part from different movies. After seeing the opening scene I thought it is better to call it a sequel to 'A History of Violence'. But the story started to take turns for every 20 minutes. It is a nicely arranged pieces and kept very simple as possible.

I am glad that Sylvester Stallone Invested to make this movie with Jason Statham and James Franco. Looks like Statham and Stallone sharing a good friendship after working together for 'The Expedibles' movies. I still unable to recognise James Franco as a tough man, for me he's a chocolate hero. Undoubtedly he was awesome in this film, but I love to see him in a beautiful romantic movie near future.

It was a decent movie, but the stunts were not good enough as we expect from Statham movie. According to the story, it was well achieved. More dramatised crime-thriller than an action. That can draw attention to a family audience, but drug scenes in the movie are what repels them away. Everything is not that strong, still it is rated R. Whatever they say it's a treat to watch if you are a Statham fan.
  2. Mar 12, 2014
    Scripted by Sylvester Stallone and starring quite a nice trio of supporting performers, Kate Bosworth, James Franco and Wynona Ryder, Jason Statham's latest film HOMEFRONT has all the makings of a perfect B movie... swampy small town, secret meth cookers, local hostilities and brutality, all that fun stuff. But the film is so poorly directed by Gary Fleder that in every action scene you literally have no idea what is going on. The nicely choreographed fight scenes, which is the point of a Statham film, particularly suffer.

As usual it makes no sense to have this cockney lad in the small town south but I could buy that since Statham has such charisma on screen and he's great with kids. He has a small daughter in this film, the wife is dead of course, and his scenes with the girl very sweet. But the rest is a big old mess.

Sadly, the 3 supporting stars aren't given much to do and none of them takes the opp to chew the scenery and go for it. So what's left... not much and unlike most Statham films, the man never takes his shirt off or hops out of bed in his underwear. So what is the point?
  3. Mar 8, 2014
    Now I can stomach my fair share of generic action films are long as it can keep me at least some-what interested. With Homefront, I couldn't help but roll my eyes with how painfully generic and predictable it was. It was laughably bad...really, really bad, So much so that I couldn't even sit through the first 15 minutes before I stopped watching.
  4. Feb 10, 2014
    "Homefront" es una buena pelicula de accion, tiene un buen argumento y buena accion.Esta pelicula vale la pena verla, porque tiene un buen desarrollo y disfrutas viendo a Jason Statham en la pelicula.
  5. Dec 5, 2013
    Jason Statham plays a DEA agent who leaves his job for a quiet country life with his daughter. It doesn't take long for an assortment of bullies (including James Franco) to menace him constantly. Sylvester Stallone adopted a novel and his simplistic style is all over the script: relentless threats for the upstanding good guy met with steely calm and hard knocks for the arrogant bad guys. Unfortunately, much of the action is cut too fast and blurry to tell what's happening, but Statham gets in a few good moves. Although it's competently made, nothing about the story or the direction is special. Expand
  6. Dec 3, 2013
    I suppose it's not surprising that Sylvester Stallone wrote the screenplay, since the plot is so ancient it might have been etches as hieroglyph on Rambo's machine gun. There's an appeal to simple action movie, but it's nowhere to be found on the uninspiring Homefront, and even the capable cast can't save it from mediocrity. Either it's from the poor casting or lackluster predictable content, audience will most likely have little to none enjoyment watching Jason Statham bludgeoning random thugs, again.

Jason Statham plays Phil Broker, a former undercover cop who retires into the countryside after his testimony incarcerated a drug lord. Little did he know that his past, and untidy file saving, will haunt him and his daughter. The concept is to portray the antagonist as a man involuntarily dragged into fights as he defends a frail looking little girl. Statham has done this concept in last year movie Safe, and to approximately the same undistinguished effect. The movie doesn't offer anything novel; in fact Arnold Schwarzenegger's Commando back in '80s has more flair and arguably more personality.

There are several big names here, but they are underutilized or badly cast. James Franco brings plenty credibility, and originally I thought he'd offer more challenge in acting department for Statham, however his role as Gator just doesn't work. He doesn't convey the menacing threat to Statham, and if the movie opted for more cerebral contest, it could've been better, but instead his actions just seem random and unorganized. It is far from clever scheme the backwater hoodlum runs, it more resembles panicked redneck rampage with money as incentive.

Winona Ryder is looking messy and not in intentionally thought provoking or sympathetic way. Honestly, I didn't even recognize her at first, she's too hectic to give more impression than just Gator's confused lackey. Kate Bosworth goes full hillbilly crackhead, profanity firing in all cylinders. Another thing that's wrong with the movie; it spews curses constantly. There are many ways to make profanity works, peppering it as ham-fisted way to lure any reaction from audience is not one of them.

Screenplay builds up inconsistently as it gives the illusion that something dramatic might happen soon, although it unfortunately turns into average brawl yet again. Music and sound effect try too hard to sell the dynamic, in which there's barely any, they function more as loud distractions if any. Perhaps the nicest thing in the movie is how the action is done. These scenes are pretty well done; they have rough impact and believably pain-inducing, although there is only modest amount of it.

Homefront doesn't bring anything new. The cast is talented and action is passable, but for extremely abysmal plot which audience can find at cheap bargain or rerun at Cinemax, it’s hardly worth anyone's time.
  7. Dec 3, 2013
    There's really not much to say on this one. It's your standard Jason Statham action flick that's unsurprisingly no different from anything else he's done in the past. James Franco gives what is probably the most notable performance in the entire film. However, the supporting ladies Winona Ryder and Kate Bosworth both give weak and half-hearted performances. The story is rather predictable as well. Overall, from what I saw, it really makes me question if this would've been better had Sylvester Stallone not abandoned this back in the day. The only good thing I can really say was that it was somewhat entertaining while it lasted, but that's about it. Collapse
  8. Dec 1, 2013
    Even the preview is not worth watching. James franco is overated as an actor. Action movies were better in the 90's. Newer ones are usually boring and predictable.
  9. Nov 27, 2013
    jason statham rock as always..film is above average..watchable action thriller..! story is bit old style....but film's postive is the star cast,stylish performances,and i like tat cute girl too..over all i give 7 out of 10

1. Reviewed by: Mark Kermode
    Dec 9, 2013
    Homefront has a pedigree that promises something special, but the results are solidly ordinary.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Glasby
    Dec 9, 2013
    An unfathomably airless B-movie that betrays its USP by spreading the thrills too thinly. You can see why Stallone had second thoughts.
  3. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Dec 5, 2013
    This meat-and-potatoes B-thriller stays modest and grounded: compared with the noisy excesses of higher-budgeted action flicks, it has a kind of crude integrity.