6.7

1. Lyn
    May 26, 2013
    If you've ever been to marriage counseling, this film might give you PTSD flashbacks. But admonitions to have more oral sex probably didn't solve your problems, and it doesn't immediately work wonders for Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones, either. Streep can be just as brilliant at frowsy, doormat types as she is playing queen-of-the-world types see "One True Thing." But Jones is given such a humorless, curmudgeonly role that even as you root for them to work things out, you never quite buy them as a couple. Of course, it's nice to see starring parts for AARP types and they can't all be rollicking, luminous productions with great soundtracks, e.g. "Something's Gotta Give." But this really was pretty dull and dry, and the soundtrack was clueless. Expand
  2. Apr 25, 2013
    I was incredibly uncomfortable watching this movie. It didn't have any funny moments and it just made me feel very weird. I don't want to watch a mediocre movie about unhappy people. It's not a fun movie to watch and there are many other movies about unhappy couples which are much better. Not worth watching.
  3. Dec 15, 2012
    If my relationship was as bad as the one pictured, this film may be of benefit, or at least parts of it might be considered a bit therapeutic. But as a mainstream entertainment vehicle, it is not profound enough to be gripping and it isn't entertaining in any other way. And casting the excellent Steve Carell as a therapist mislead me, and who knows how many others, into thinking of this as at least a sometimes humorous Hollywood look into marriage, which it is not. That may be a fault of my expectations but also should be a concern of those who market the film. As a non-comedy, the music is too overpowering and inappropriate, the scenery too pretty, and the cliched actions of the husband too broadly cruel and inexplicable for any of it to have real gravity. Then, suddenly, there is repair and a cheerful ending, a disservice to the real work needed in saving a marriage this badly derailed. There is a nugget for a tough, revelatory film about the common marital issue it tries to portray... but Hollywood is possibly too timid to make it. In any case, if you are looking for a light evening's entertainment, this IS NOT IT. Expand
  4. Sep 20, 2012
    Terrible movie. Save your money. I was wishing I had a fast forward button on my seat so I could get through the boring parts, which was most of the movie.
  5. Sep 8, 2012
    The most awkward movie ever..... If you aren't at least 60 wanting a cheap alternative to couple's therapy I recommend steering clear from this one! However, the movie is great for those that wish to start a diet as one scene in particular is sure to leave you with deep mental scaring. How this movie was green-lit I'll never know!
  6. Aug 31, 2012
    Just because "Hope Springs" has well known stars with historically big box office draw does not a good movie make. Merrill Streep is OK in her part but Tommy Lee Jones is bad for this movie. Just like Clint Eastwood in "Bridges" he is totally miscast. He (and Clint) has one persona and a whipped salaryman is not it. Then the dialog- it is slow and over the top sexual, making everyone in the theater squirm and occasionally issue nervous giggles. Not recommended by me. Bridges had some redeeming qualities and I watched it several times over the years but this is "hopelessly broken springs".
    Bob
  7. Aug 19, 2012
    This movie was horrible!!!. NOT FUNNY AT ALL!!! I am not young and I was grossed out watching Tommy Lee and Meryl Streep make out and talk about their sex life. Thank God we only payed $6 to watch this disaster of a movie.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Sep 16, 2012
    As the couple try to rekindle the bedroom flame the note of cutesy comedy kicks in and the movie gets phonier and phonier.
  2. Reviewed by: Angie Errigo
    Sep 10, 2012
    Very funny, it's also penetrating on the ravages of time on love and marriage and sweetly touching, but with abundantly incongruous randy content to heartily amuse.
  3. Reviewed by: Ellen E. Jones
    Sep 1, 2012
    Fine turns from Streep and Jones bedrock this compassionate, quietly subversive drama.