Hostage

8.9

1. FrankO.
    Jan 15, 2006
    I was looking forward to viewing this movie because it was based on a novel by Robert Crais who I admire as a mystery writer. Needless to say, it was too much over the top with special effects and way too long.
  2. RayB.
    Oct 19, 2005
    This film is really difficult to judge. The film itself is a good old fashioned Bruce Willis action movie. But and it's a big BUT the novel it is based on by Robert Crais is one of the best crime thriller books ever written and the movie decided to pick parts of the story to follow and not always the best parts i.e. the discovery in MARS home which is not in the film.
  3. TonyB
    Aug 17, 2005
    There's not a boring minute in it but not too many believable ones either. "Hostage" takes itself more seriously than basically silly claptrap has a right to.
  4. NickH
    Jul 19, 2005
    Die Hard in a duplex... minus the drama, tension, acting, and crazy Europeans.
  5. Dez
    Jul 8, 2005
    I want my MacLane back...
  6. bruceishot
    Jul 1, 2005
    Bruce willis is sooo hot! anyway, the movie was not great... it was not confident with what it wanted to be, a movie aboutt: rowdy kids trying to steal a car, a sick cold-blooded murderer, or a company who wants its money or something... the is a 1, but Bruce get a 50! He has gotten old, but retained sexyness.
  7. GregT.
    Jun 29, 2005
    I love Bruce Willis movies. However, in the middle of this one, I went for a pee and a smoke and kept it running. I wasn't sure that I cared enough about the corrupt father, the bitchy daughter and the precocious son to worry what happened to them. This movie perked up towards the end, but.... I wouldn't write to anyone and suggest that they rent this movie.
  8. wossname
    Mar 25, 2005
    The promising start gives way to tedium as the pacing falls out of the window as we wait for the inevitable ending in which Bruce Willis will save the day; when the ending comes, it is so stupid and implausable that I wonder if Bruce Willis read this script at all!
  9. BeanoS.
    Mar 18, 2005
    So tired of seeing the same predictible suspence. Is Bruce's gardener picking scripts, now? Yawn.
  10. SusanM.
    Mar 15, 2005
    It was okay. A bit loooooong in parts, a lot unrealistic toward the end.
  11. VinceH.
    Mar 12, 2005
    Bruce Willis is one of the rare major actors (Keitel, Walken, Dafoe, etc.) who is always compelling and powerful no matter what crappy movie they are in. He once again proves to be a really magnetic screen prescence (not that he hadn't already of course) amidst all the overly-coincidental cliches that the screenplay piles up. Ben Foster is one of my favorite up-and-coming actors but Bruce Willis is one of the rare major actors (Keitel, Walken, Dafoe, etc.) who is always compelling and powerful no matter what crappy movie they are in. He once again proves to be a really magnetic screen prescence (not that he hadn't already of course) amidst all the overly-coincidental cliches that the screenplay piles up. Ben Foster is one of my favorite up-and-coming actors but he is mostly wasted here, essentially playing the role that Matthew Pitt normally plays. It has some compelling moments (and a very cool Panic Room-inspired opening credits sequence). In the end all you can think is...what's the point? On a side note, the best thing of seeing this was a chance to see the new Sin City trailer. Cannot wait. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Staff (Not credited)
    Right from the intriguing opening sequence, which hints at the bleakness which envelops the movie, Willis’ Talley is an interesting character.
  2. If Hostage looks a lot like a state-of-the-art French "policier" minus the pesky subtitles, the effect is purely intentional.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    What sends this initially tense thriller over the precipice is a plot scheme that never knows when enough is enough.