4.7

1. Aug 13, 2010
    This movie... doesn't exist. It is probably the least creative movie I've ever seen. It's really mentally grathing and slow, and it may not be the worst movie I've ever seen, but it's pretty close. I know it's not about shock and more about gross out scares, but you can't really be grossed out too much if you're not immersed in the movie (maybe the infamouse "eyegasm", but nothing else), and this movie does nothing interesting to help itself. What little story there is the most cliched I've ever heard. I'd like to dig more deeply into it, but there is nothing there to dig into. All you have to know is that people get tortured while the audience wonders what's so great about it. This may not be a part of a genre I like, but a truely good movie could suck you in regardless of the genre. Not to get off track or anything, but a good example is, Pulp Fiction. It is listed under "crime", "drama", "suspence", and "comedy" all at once, but you don't think "hey, I'm watching a crime/drama/suspence/comedy", you just think "hey, I'm watching a movie". Hostel is so cliched that it seems like a genre template and nothing else. I read the user reviews of people who liked it in case I missed something, but the argument of "saterizing the audiences lust for pain" could be said for any movie in the genre. Bottom line: you can't have a gross-out movie without the "movie" part. I was grossed out when i stepped in dog poop, but that doesn't make it the apitamy of cinema. Expand
  2. Jul 7, 2011
    Let me say to start that I am NOT the target audience for this movie. This moive is more for the gore for the sake of gore crowd, anyone else watching this movie has chosen to punish themselves. This movie has no higher purpose, no greater wisdom, no real story. Hack and slash, hack and slash.
  3. Mar 8, 2014
    The film is effective at giving you creeps with its gory scenes, but the film took quite a long time to get going. Ultimately, the film is a disappointment. If you're interested in this type of genre, I would recommend you to check out the first three movies in the "Saw" series.

1. It's obligatory for a horror film to feature exploitative sex as an appetizer, but Roth, even as he fulfills the sleaze imperative, does something shrewder: He mocks his heroes, presenting them as cold-eyed horndog jerks who fail to see that they've wandered into an entire country of exploitation.
  2. Reviewed by: John Anderson
    Hostel may become something of a classic among Fangoria magazine's readership, acolytes of George Romero and audiences who thought "Saw II" was for babies.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Abele
    Although he damn near slanders an entire country - expect poor Slovakia's tourism industry to take a hit - Roth is not an unskilled ringleader of gory crisis moments, or breathless escapes. The squeamish should simply stay away, but carnage queens will appreciate some of Roth's less grisly, even amusing details.