Hot Fuzz

8.7

1. JoshP.
    May 5, 2007
    Hey those of you that gave it low ratings. Go watch the George Lopez show for your canned laughs. The movie was phenomenal. Of course the kitsch and the plot are all tongue in cheek as Point Break was a node of inspiration for some scenes. There hasn't been a movie this funny in awhile and if you've already seen the mediocre Blades of Glory, go see something a little smarter.
  2. BeckyS.
    May 5, 2007
    Even Better than expected, kept me laughing from beginning to end
  3. DanS.
    May 2, 2007
    Though the twitch editing combined with the loud wooshing sound effects became tiresome after a while, the film is genuinely funny, and the action scene during the final push was hilarious.
  4. DwightT.
    May 2, 2007
    Good Lord. Reading the low reviews by the people who never get anything is infuriating. This movie delivers if you have a brain. Enjoy!
  5. BillyS.
    May 2, 2007
    Hot Fuzz is Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright's take on all those big budget action/buddy films in the same way they did zombie pics in Shawn of the Dead. It's very well done with a lot of good British actors and Pegg and Nick Frost prove to be the next great comedy team in movies today, but because action/adventure is my least favorite genre I just didn't laugh as much as I Hot Fuzz is Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright's take on all those big budget action/buddy films in the same way they did zombie pics in Shawn of the Dead. It's very well done with a lot of good British actors and Pegg and Nick Frost prove to be the next great comedy team in movies today, but because action/adventure is my least favorite genre I just didn't laugh as much as I thoght I would. There are some very funny scenes and Frost gets most of the great lines but after Shawn Of the Dead I was just a little disappointed that it didn't require astronaut diapers to watch it. (But that doesn't mean I can't wait for whatever they team up to do next). Expand
  6. RobR.
    May 1, 2007
    This is (In my opinion) the BEST movie since Shaun of the Dead. Not only is it very funny throughout the movie, it also reminds you of what made shaun of the dead such a good movie, A GOOD STORY LINE. Very funny while having very serious scenes of action, and this movie was actually scary at times! Some may say that this is bold, but not only is this the best movie in 3 years, It may be This is (In my opinion) the BEST movie since Shaun of the Dead. Not only is it very funny throughout the movie, it also reminds you of what made shaun of the dead such a good movie, A GOOD STORY LINE. Very funny while having very serious scenes of action, and this movie was actually scary at times! Some may say that this is bold, but not only is this the best movie in 3 years, It may be the best movie I have ever seen! Expand
  7. JacobS.
    Apr 30, 2007
    I don't give out 10s lightly, but this film deserved. I literally could not stop laughing. I completely forgot about the popcorn I bought, and nearly busted a rib laughing. However, the 8 of us who went were pretty much the only ones making any noise, but we made a lot of it. I intend to watch this movie at least two more times in theatres, and will buy the DVD in an instant.
  8. Ccw
    Apr 29, 2007
    Very funny, good, jokes, and hilarious action, a little slow at the start.
  9. ItaiF.
    Apr 28, 2007
    Love how they combined intense action with dry uproarious humor 2 thumbs up.
  10. AndrewJ.
    Apr 28, 2007
    Funny. But not nearly as funny as you'd expet. The fun lies in the details and references to other action films. You won't be laughing out loud much, it's more of a "grin plastered to your face for 90 minutes" kind of movie.
  11. DaveN.
    Apr 28, 2007
    Funniest movie I've seen in a long time! Not quite perfect, but damn funny. I'm a big fan of Brit comedies, and this is one of the better ones -- better, IMHO, than "Shaun of the Dead."
  12. MichelH.
    Apr 28, 2007
    An almost Twilight Zone lampoon of an English rural village. A hip, intelligent ripping off the vineer of a bucolic, peaceful , but hypocritical English Township by an overachieving London Bobbie bent on solving crime that locals pronounce doesn't exist.
  13. NickA.
    Apr 27, 2007
    A truly British film, with its comedy founded in the absurd.
  14. DavidS.
    Apr 27, 2007
    The care and attention lavished on this film by the writers and director is obvious, extraordinary, and well worth your time to see. It is, truly, an almost perfect satire.
  15. Eeganrac
    Apr 27, 2007
    I love how this movie just makes fun of those crappy buddy cop movies. I really like this movie, but I have to warn you, there are some dull periods in the movie. The end of the movie was just phreaking sweet.
  16. CarrieJ.
    Great movie!
  17. R.Jones
    Apr 26, 2007
    I was smiling the entire time.
  18. GeorgeH.
    Apr 26, 2007
    A perfect film that works both as a satire and as the kind of "shoot-'em-up" film it satirizes. Expertly written and directed, well paced impeccably cast. One of the best comdies AND action films in many a year!
  19. Shaust
    Apr 25, 2007
    This is not SOTD so don't go into the theater expecting it. Also, it's British so if you don't 'get' British comedy, you might not enjoy this. Otherwise, I advise all to see it. (And yes the quick cuts are superfluous but they are symbolic of Nicholas Angel's character - big city cop). This comedy team is the best!
  20. WillT.
    Apr 24, 2007
    As Shaun of the Dead was a Zombie movie with comedic elements this is more of a comedy with an action theme. This was (i think) funnier, but SOTD was a better made movie.
  21. PaulK.
    Apr 24, 2007
    This was a lot funnier than the trailer suggested and I definitely enjoyed it way more than Shaun Of The Dead. If you have any desire to see this, try to get to the theater. It's worth it.
  22. NickM.
    Apr 24, 2007
    this was the second best comedy ive seen in ten years, only beaten by Borat. I dont see why people say that Shaun of the dead was funnier, it wasnt. As comedies go this is a 10, but since im rating movies based on how well they were, im giving it an 8, which is still great. The acting , story and the overall idea was great, but its a comedy, its got too any laughs to be a 10. Its the best this was the second best comedy ive seen in ten years, only beaten by Borat. I dont see why people say that Shaun of the dead was funnier, it wasnt. As comedies go this is a 10, but since im rating movies based on how well they were, im giving it an 8, which is still great. The acting , story and the overall idea was great, but its a comedy, its got too any laughs to be a 10. Its the best movie this year, a must see Expand
  23. TonyO
    Apr 23, 2007
    I liked the British humor, there were some good action scenes, and there were a couple of clever twists. The bad: I think it was a bit too long (2hr 1min) and the close-ups combined with quick cuts got a little annoying. Even if someone is either from Virginia or connected with VT in some way, you can't really complain about the violence. The previews clearly show that there are some I liked the British humor, there were some good action scenes, and there were a couple of clever twists. The bad: I think it was a bit too long (2hr 1min) and the close-ups combined with quick cuts got a little annoying. Even if someone is either from Virginia or connected with VT in some way, you can't really complain about the violence. The previews clearly show that there are some shootouts in the movie and it's not like you are being forced to see the movie---buying a ticket means you made the choice to see it. Expand
  24. AndrewG
    Apr 23, 2007
    A little slow in the beginning, but never dull. The end is an amazing tribute to all action films. SOTD fans will love it. Spaced fans will too! Don't believe these negative reviews. I feel pity for the people that don't get it.
  25. SeanP.
    Apr 23, 2007
    Carolyn, my heart goes out to you and everyone in your state, but you really should not let the event affect your rating for this film. Don't fault the violence only because you watched it a week after VT. As far as film-making, the action scenes were well-filmed, the violence cleverly over-the-top, and the very British humorwas consistently hilarious throughout. (Also, the Carolyn, my heart goes out to you and everyone in your state, but you really should not let the event affect your rating for this film. Don't fault the violence only because you watched it a week after VT. As far as film-making, the action scenes were well-filmed, the violence cleverly over-the-top, and the very British humorwas consistently hilarious throughout. (Also, the filmmakers made this before the shooting, they can't be blamed at all.) Expand
  26. StephenH.
    Apr 23, 2007
    This movie is hilarious. You could bring up Virginia Tech with any movie with gun violence; if you're not comfortable with it yet then see a different movie.
  27. JasonP.
    Apr 23, 2007
    This movie was a big disappointment. I loved Shaun of the Dead and this film was no where as good. I wish I didn't see the trailer for this film, because then a lot of the jokes would of been fresh. When I saw SOTD, I didn't know anything about it except that my friends loved it. I'm sure if I saw the trailer for SOTD, it would of spoiled half that movie for me as well. This movie was a big disappointment. I loved Shaun of the Dead and this film was no where as good. I wish I didn't see the trailer for this film, because then a lot of the jokes would of been fresh. When I saw SOTD, I didn't know anything about it except that my friends loved it. I'm sure if I saw the trailer for SOTD, it would of spoiled half that movie for me as well. Overall, this movie was humorous, but I thought it spent way too much time trying to make fun of Michael Bay and other action junky directors like him. It should of just made a good action film with loads of laughs. That's where SOTD succeeded and Hot Fuzz failed. SOTD made a regular zombie movie that was "laugh out loud" funny. Also, the supporting cast of this film was annoying and no where close to being funny. The only funny moments came from the two main characters, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. SOTD's supporting cast helped make a more interesting and entertaining film. Expand
  28. JawaT.
    Apr 23, 2007
    Not 'funnier than Shaun of the Dead' only funny in a completely different way. The film offers not only cerebral laughs for the first two thirds but a whiplash change into slapstick for the last thirty minutes. It's not that anyone giving this a bad score has no sense of humour... it's just that they would much prefer to watch something like 'Epic Movie' for Not 'funnier than Shaun of the Dead' only funny in a completely different way. The film offers not only cerebral laughs for the first two thirds but a whiplash change into slapstick for the last thirty minutes. It's not that anyone giving this a bad score has no sense of humour... it's just that they would much prefer to watch something like 'Epic Movie' for their laughs. High quality viewing. Expand
  29. JohnK.
    Apr 22, 2007
    Probably the best comedy of the year. So spot on; there's not a better parody of action films out there.
  30. MattA.
    Apr 22, 2007
    Loved it. My favorite movie of all time is Shaun of the Dead, and this lived up to my expectations. Edgar Wright does such a great job blending comedy and violence in his films. One of most talented directors of our age. Simon and Nick pull off the parts effortlessly. Great. a solid A.
  31. JayC.
    Apr 22, 2007
    [***SPOILERS***] During the first half I kept thinking, "British humor can be funny, but so far this is not". Then Simon opens up the weapons cache room and gets a white horse. In spite of all the shooting and mayhem, the death toll is low and the laughs are super. There are many little zany moments (stopping for the bird, drop-kicking the old lady with the shotgun, was it a real town in [***SPOILERS***] During the first half I kept thinking, "British humor can be funny, but so far this is not". Then Simon opens up the weapons cache room and gets a white horse. In spite of all the shooting and mayhem, the death toll is low and the laughs are super. There are many little zany moments (stopping for the bird, drop-kicking the old lady with the shotgun, was it a real town in miniture?) You have to see it to believe it, and then you aren't totally sure about everything that happened. Expand
  32. AideenM.
    Apr 22, 2007
    About time the Brits made another comedy in the tradition of Ealing Studios and the Terry-Thomas and Carry On movies of the 1960s.
  33. EC
    Apr 21, 2007
    Not quite as good as Shaun of the Dead, but still worth seeing. I haven't seen anybody spoof action flicks this well since Loaded Weapon 1, and that was 14 years ago.
  34. MikeD.
    Apr 21, 2007
    Great movie. Very funny and original. I liked Shaun of the Dead better but both actors are great in these roles. Not the same characters as in Shaun of the Dead but hilarious nonetheless. Well worth the price of admission.
  35. JoeyK.
    Apr 21, 2007
    Wow, fantastic movie. It succeeds as an action, mystery, cop, parody, and comedy movie all at the same time, and superbly. It's simply incredible how impressive this is as a genuine movie while still being, at it's core, a complete farce.
  36. AlexanderN.
    Apr 21, 2007
    Best movie ever. If you haven't seen it yet, you need to. right now. Seriously stop reading this and go to the theater.
  37. theLex
    Apr 21, 2007
    Smashing! I loved it! It makes my want to shoot my gun and yell "bang" "bang" each time I fire it! See the film. You'll totally get what I'm saying! I cannot recomend this film more! Go see it, and be prepared to laugh your head off! Cheers!
  38. CAENT
    Apr 21, 2007
    Although it wasn't as funny as "Shaun of the Dead", it still had me laughing in my seat from start to finish. I love the sense of humor. The action will surprise you. You kind of get the best of both worlds with this film. Definitely a must see, especially if you enjoyed "Shaun of the Dead".
  39. RobbyT.
    Apr 21, 2007
    Some advice for the moviegoer: Before the film starts, get yourself into the state of mind that you're about to watch a fresh take on a "Bad Boys" style action flick starring a couple of rising stars from England. You will appreciate the comedy so much more if you aren't expecting it. And to Matt (scroll down), VERY well said. I like Monty Python and all but, when I read USA Some advice for the moviegoer: Before the film starts, get yourself into the state of mind that you're about to watch a fresh take on a "Bad Boys" style action flick starring a couple of rising stars from England. You will appreciate the comedy so much more if you aren't expecting it. And to Matt (scroll down), VERY well said. I like Monty Python and all but, when I read USA Today's blurb, I had to roll my eyes. I gotta write that down! Expand
  40. PhilM.
    Apr 21, 2007
    I thought it was hard to top shaun of the dead, but this movie managed to top it in so many ways, this movie had so much more and the parodies were just classics. Definitely go and see this movie.
  41. JohnMorrison
    Apr 21, 2007
    Starts out slow and gets faster and faster. The latter half is screamingly funny. Saw it here in Washington, DC with a whole bunch of Americans. As a middle aged Brit, who was a cop in the 80s close to where this was supposed to be set, I didn't think this would translate. But it does. In large part because the movie isn't a parochial UK comedy, its a play on action movieStarts out slow and gets faster and faster. The latter half is screamingly funny. Saw it here in Washington, DC with a whole bunch of Americans. As a middle aged Brit, who was a cop in the 80s close to where this was supposed to be set, I didn't think this would translate. But it does. In large part because the movie isn't a parochial UK comedy, its a play on action movie stereotypes of the last 20 years. Great fun. Expand
    Apr 21, 2007
    This was a most enjoyable film to watch; everyone in the audience had a great time as evidenced by their constant laughter. This isn't Talladega Nights or Dumb and Dumber. The comedy in Hot Fuzz is subtle and subversive. The play on the buddy-cop genre is masterfully executed. The masterful editing the crisp and innovative directorial style give the film a slick look and sometimes This was a most enjoyable film to watch; everyone in the audience had a great time as evidenced by their constant laughter. This isn't Talladega Nights or Dumb and Dumber. The comedy in Hot Fuzz is subtle and subversive. The play on the buddy-cop genre is masterfully executed. The masterful editing the crisp and innovative directorial style give the film a slick look and sometimes gleefully frenzied pacing. For those looking for smart in their funny, this is the comedy movie to watch this year. Expand
  43. MarkG.
    Apr 21, 2007
    Everything about the movie is awsome! Far better than Shaun of the Dead (another great movie)
  44. Jefframone
    Apr 21, 2007
    Freakin' HILARIOUS! It pokes fun at how brainless and idiotic American action movies are without being brainless and idiotic itself. It's smart, it's quick (editing, not running time) and best of all funny as hell. I noticed that the only "bad" review it got was from "The Hollywood Reporter", which said "All the action is staged with energy, but it gets relentless without Freakin' HILARIOUS! It pokes fun at how brainless and idiotic American action movies are without being brainless and idiotic itself. It's smart, it's quick (editing, not running time) and best of all funny as hell. I noticed that the only "bad" review it got was from "The Hollywood Reporter", which said "All the action is staged with energy, but it gets relentless without anything really funny going on." Nothing funny going on? Either this person did not even see this movie or he fell asleep. Or, and this is my guess, he is such stupid and numbed by what passes for a good movie by American standards, he didn't get that they were being spoofed. This movie is a great time. See it NOW! Expand
  45. GaetanS.
    Apr 21, 2007
    I had a great time. I didn't like it as much as Shaun, but then again, I'm a zombie film addict. Fuzz is funny and you'll be surprised by the quality of the action scenes.
  46. CiaranG.
    Apr 21, 2007
    As the movie progresses, it gets better and better (and crazier).
  47. NK.
    Apr 20, 2007
    Amazing. just go and see it. you will not regret it. much much better than shaun of the dead.
  48. Matt
    Apr 20, 2007
    Dear USA Today. Monty Python's Flying Circus is almost 40 years old. Please get the f*** over it. Comparing it with Hot Fuzz is somewhat like comparing South Park to Sergeant Bilko. BTW Hot Fuzz is a great movie. Not as good as Shaun Of The Dead but still worth seeing.
  49. James
    Apr 20, 2007
    Smart. just when you think it's fallen into the conventions it parodies, the film reveals a joke 20 minutes in the making. That level of investmet is too rare these days and much appreciated in this one. It also gets better the more you think about it.
  50. BobB
    Apr 18, 2007
    I live in the uk so i saw this movie back in february. Its' absolutely brilliant. so much fun. i wish there were more movies like this. it works on two levels. a hilarious comedy, and a killer action film. it's not a spoof like most movies are but a tribute to awesome actin movies.
  51. AndrewC.
    Apr 17, 2007
    Ridiculously entertaining - the most fun I've had at the movies in what seems like years.

A little too long and suffers from a sagging midsection when the level of exposition becomes laborious, but the spectacularly entertaining final 30 minutes compensates for a lot of flaws.
    It's a blast.
  3. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    A sustained genre parody that's equally funny but (maybe in deference to the genre) much more pumped up.