7.1

1. Oct 15, 2010
    great movie, it really connects with people who are smart enough to understand that the stupidity of the movie is intentional. in that sense, this is the funniest movie ive ever seen, and should be enjoyed by lots of people.
  2. Oct 16, 2011
    Its all silly and preposterous, but Andy Samberg does a great job in racking up the audience with the movie as well using his great, brazen performance. HE made "Hot Rod" such a funny movie.
  3. Feb 23, 2012
    It's filled with cheap laughs and slapstick humor, but for the most part it works. It will never be known as a great comedy, but if you are looking for a quick comedy fix I venture to say this one will satisfy most viewers.
  4. Dec 15, 2010
    A Comedy Masterpiece? Of course not. A Cult Comedy Masterpiece? I'd say so. Yes, the film is reliant on Absurdist and odd humor. But behind what many may find extreme stupidity, I find a subtle sense of genius. All the little things pull together to make this comedy among my favorites. Andy Samberg's energetic performance, the entirely Europe soundtrack despite there not being a clear timeA Comedy Masterpiece? Of course not. A Cult Comedy Masterpiece? I'd say so. Yes, the film is reliant on Absurdist and odd humor. But behind what many may find extreme stupidity, I find a subtle sense of genius. All the little things pull together to make this comedy among my favorites. Andy Samberg's energetic performance, the entirely Europe soundtrack despite there not being a clear time setting, and, what I would say is the best climax of all time, the riot scene. Accenting the film is Danny McBride's performance, while not fine acting, is funny during every line. The Cast, Direction, makes what critics may call "A Poor Attempt at an Extended Digital Short" what I call "A Brilliant, Misunderstood Brilliant Comedy" Expand
  5. Jun 28, 2012
    A funny movie that's jokes are at times stupid and not funny, but for most of the movie the you will be laughing and enjoying yourself, so long as you are willing to overlook a few stupid and unfunny moments.
  6. May 8, 2011
    This is a film that has only gotten better with time. The difficulty for many absurdist comedies (Wet Hot American Summer, Anchorman, etc.) is that they are designed to find purchase with viewers' tastes over repeat viewings, with clever asides and small jokes packed within the larger bit which may at first appear overly broad and simplistic, prompting some people to call a film with aThis is a film that has only gotten better with time. The difficulty for many absurdist comedies (Wet Hot American Summer, Anchorman, etc.) is that they are designed to find purchase with viewers' tastes over repeat viewings, with clever asides and small jokes packed within the larger bit which may at first appear overly broad and simplistic, prompting some people to call a film with a potentially elaborate wit "stupid." Critics don't have the benefit of seeing a film multiple times prior to a review, and thus often absurdist films are lumped into categories with other twee indie comedies and ignored. It's true that absurdism is an acquired taste, and there are many people who don't grasp the rhythm of these films. But for those who can enjoy a scripted comedy with a sense of the wildly absurd and slightly parodic, "Hot Rod" is a must-see, and one of the most underappreciated comedies of 2007. While it starts with a bang, it takes a little bit for the movie to switch into full gear. Having Ian McShane is always a smart casting choice for any film, and he shows here that he can wield comedy along with his usual gravitas. Samberg, meanwhile, is a terrific doofus, as expected, and fans of his web and TV antics will love what he does here. But for the real breakout star? It's a three-way tie: Jorma Taccone, Bill Hader, and Danny McBride shine throughout the film as Samberg's plucky crew, and provide many of the great background laughs that will keep viewers coming back again and again (Hader's facial expressions, in particular, create a film reel's worth of hilarity when you least expect them). Isla Fisher and Will Arnett also play some great bit parts, though nothing too outside-the-box for either of their histories.

Combine all of this with a soundtrack so 80s cheese-tastic it drips through the speakers, and "Hot Rod" is absolutely worth your time. It's not for everyone, but as a fan of slapstick and absurdism, this film had me rolling from start to ridiculous finish.
  7. Jul 8, 2013
    This movie was so crazy funny that I can't believe it did so badly. It's actually just a huge bummer to know we might not get more from this team of people. Maybe it's not for everybody. Certainly it is quite low brow. Anybody who is a fan of the Lonely Island's work is going to find lots to like about this movie.
  8. Jul 26, 2011
    For reasons unknown I had never heard of nor seen this movie until last weekend. The story and comedy are simple, its not as indy as Napoleon Dynamite and doesnt have the greatest story ever for a low budget movie, at times its pretty dumb however there are some laughs in some scenes, particularly in its dialog and its quotable script. I wished the movie hadnt taken the easy route of aFor reasons unknown I had never heard of nor seen this movie until last weekend. The story and comedy are simple, its not as indy as Napoleon Dynamite and doesnt have the greatest story ever for a low budget movie, at times its pretty dumb however there are some laughs in some scenes, particularly in its dialog and its quotable script. I wished the movie hadnt taken the easy route of a standard underdog story with a predictable happy ending but the movie does have its moments, it does have some quotable lines and I recommend for fans of random comedy. Expand
  9. Mar 29, 2013
    The humor and scenes of Hot Rod feel kind of like an Adam Sandler dumba** flick but Hot Rod is different as to drag in more memories yet unforgettable scenes at the same time. The important part are the memorable Samberg scenes in which you can forget you hate these kind of movies and enjoy the ride.
  10. Aug 10, 2013
    Hot rod is the guilty movie that even strict critics will like but they would never admit it. It is not a quality comedy with intelligent jokes but it is the perfect film to watch and laugh out loud. You will laugh until you cry and you will enjoy it because it is entertaining. Do not listen to the bad reviews because, just watch it and laugh.
  11. Jun 14, 2013
    Good movie, as long as you're going in expecting a light-hearted comedy, and understand the stupidity is why it is funny and it is intentional.
  12. Jun 26, 2014
    "I used to be legit. I was too legit. I was too legit to quit. but now I'm not legit. I'm unlegit. And for that reason, I must quit."

When i first went to see this movie at the theaters i didn't really know anything about it and i pretty much went because i was with friends. While watching the movie i didn't really seem to like anything about it yet my friends were laughing their asses off. So i gave it another chance when it came out on dvd and strangely i happened to absolutely loved it this time around. The movie has a awkward comedy feel to it and does it perfectly i guess some people say this is kinda like Napoleon Dynamite but honestly this movie is way better.

The movie follows Rod Kimble (Andy Samberg) a amateur stuntman trying to live up to his deceased fathers name and to also prove to his stepfather Frank (Ian McShane) that he is a man by trying to beat him up. After unsuccessfully trying to jump the local pool Rod heads home to find out that Frank is very sick and will die soon unless he gets expensive heart transplant. After blowing off some steam Rod comes up with a plan to throw a massive charity event to help pay for Franks surgery by jumping fifteen buses. This is when Rod with the help of his crew, Kevin (Jorma Taccone) his stepbrother, his two friends Dave (Bill Hader), and Rico (Danny McBride), also his hot neighbor Denise (Isla Fisher) who Rod has crush on help him train so he can become a great stuntman and earn the 50 thousands dollars he needs for his stepfather surgery.

The movie has plenty of great scenes but also some that don't hit the mark by trying to be too funny. I would say that the "Cool Beans" part had to be one of the most hilariously random things i have pretty much ever seen in a movie. A great thing about the movie is that it got me hooked on the comedy group "The Lonely Island" which consist of both Andy Samberg and Jorma Taccone who acted in the movie also Akiva Schaffer the director of the movie and now they happen to be one of my favorite music groups out now. What can i say about Isla Fisher in this movie she looked absolutely beautiful also she was pretty funny as well.

Overall i give it a 7.0
  13. Nov 9, 2014
    I'm upset that no one went to see Hot Rod In theaters. This is a very funny comedy with a great heart. The score with the cheesy 80's vibe is better than many movie scores I've heard. You are supplied with laughs every minute. Hot Rod is a soon to be CLASSIC with a devoted fan base. Hot Rod deserves a 10.
  14. Nov 9, 2014
    Hot Rod is a great movie for families with kids I would say at least 15 or above. This is an AMAZING movie. It has lots of comedy elements to make it a great movie. It has comedy, randomness, and adult/teen humor. I think it is a totally under rated movie and barely anybody went to see it in theaters but it has a great cult following and a strong and sturdy fan base. It is a greatHot Rod is a great movie for families with kids I would say at least 15 or above. This is an AMAZING movie. It has lots of comedy elements to make it a great movie. It has comedy, randomness, and adult/teen humor. I think it is a totally under rated movie and barely anybody went to see it in theaters but it has a great cult following and a strong and sturdy fan base. It is a great hilarious movie and i love it. Expand

1. Hot Rod is a stupid movie about stupid people doing stupid things.
  2. Unfortunately, the gags start to wear thin shortly around the 15-minute mark, not to mention the fact that they pale in comparison to the real-life indignities endured by the members of the "Jackass" crew.
  3. Reviewed by: Gregory Kirschling
    Wait until the best parts pop up on YouTube.