7.3

1. PK
    Sep 6, 2009
    Far better than the over-rated Superbad, which was released around the same time. Hilariously awkward nerdy comedy.
  2. Oct 15, 2010
    great movie, it really connects with people who are smart enough to understand that the stupidity of the movie is intentional. in that sense, this is the funniest movie ive ever seen, and should be enjoyed by lots of people.
  3. TimF.
    Jan 4, 2008
    It's stupid humor done to perfection.
  4. JoeR
    Oct 27, 2007
    I went in expecting a few laughs, but left with my side hurting and tears running down my face. The forest fall had me cracking up big time. Big thumbs up!!! Can't wait for the DVD.
  5. CalebC.
    Aug 1, 2007
    I got to see a sneak peek June 27th and I can say that I wasn't really excited about seeing this film after seeing the preview. This is a comedy classic and personally I thought it was the funniest film that I've ever seen. Its this years Napoleon Dynamite. Go see it as soon as it comes out and tell your friends/spread the word
  6. RobertB.
    Jan 5, 2008
    One of the funniest movies I've seen in a while.
  7. MarandaD.
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hot Rod, is and was the best movie in the whole entire world and i watch it pretty much everyday and it will always be the funniest thing ive ever seen and i cant believe theres people who are too uptight to laugh at this movie. its very funny.
  8. WilliamT
    Jun 21, 2008
    The humour is akin to what you and your friends talk about at school or work. It's often random and stupid but you laugh out loud anyway and repeat the quotes over and over again. HIghly enjoyable for anyone who is a fan of stupid humour.
  9. MajniB.
    Feb 1, 2009
    Good movie, funny all through.
  10. ReedM
    Feb 20, 2009
    Hot Rod made me pee my pants...more than once!
  11. JaredC.
    Jul 31, 2007
    Its humor provides risque sexuality, but its story provides the most. Oh yeah, its more than Talladega Nights, its more than a Borat, and its way more than a Sicko, its a perfecto. Reaches above standards. Its fun and probably better than Transformers.
  12. RW.
    Aug 1, 2007
    Its a genuinely funny movie. Full of good laughs.
  13. SusuB.
    Aug 5, 2007
    My friends and I laughed and laughed. I bought sound track, it's cool beans.
  14. TedS.
    Sep 3, 2007
    Many will mistake the humor in this movie as dull, slapstick bathroom laughs, while the true comedy of the film lies in its quirky, random and satirical humor. One of the funniest movies of the year, hands down
  15. bizz
    Mar 16, 2009
    Whoever rated this low is crazy, this is probably the best movie I've ever seen, you never stop laughing. best quotes to mess around with friends. By far the best comedy I've ever seen.
  16. TimM
    May 18, 2009
    This movie takes all the great parts of Napoleon Dynamite and adds to it with hilarious stunts and overly cheesy humor. This is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.
  17. SB
    Jun 15, 2009
    Hilariously original and life-changing. I am a big fan of the Seth Rogan, Will Ferrell, and Michael Cera movies. Andy Samberg is right up there with him and he makes hilarious music videos. F*ck all of these official critics, they never say anything good about awesome movies anyway.
  18. JesseR.
    Dec 31, 2007
    Great, hilarious movie! It is not a slapstick, the humor lies in the completely randomness that is SNL humor, and if you don't like it go watch Fox News. Only kicking back and listening to NOFX gives me more pleasure than this laugh-out-loud comedy. Just look at the plot. Rod has to save his stepdad's life so he can beat him up. I've seen Suberbad it is good, but not Hot Rod good.
  19. KatherineM
    Aug 26, 2007
    Anyone who thinks the humor in this movie lies in the stunts COMPLETELY missed the point of this movie. The humor is the in the tangential delivery, in the randomness, in the clever, distinct, and odd mannerisms and perspectives of the characters. The style is reminiscent of the show Family Guy. Andy Samberg falling isn't what is meant to be funny. Lines like, "I'm pumped! Anyone who thinks the humor in this movie lies in the stunts COMPLETELY missed the point of this movie. The humor is the in the tangential delivery, in the randomness, in the clever, distinct, and odd mannerisms and perspectives of the characters. The style is reminiscent of the show Family Guy. Andy Samberg falling isn't what is meant to be funny. Lines like, "I'm pumped! I've been drinking green tea all day!" are the true hilarity of the film. I guess you just have to have a certain sense of humor to appreciate it. I thought it was one of the funniest movies I have seen in a loooong time, and if Superbad hasn't come out the same weekend, I think Hot Rod would be getting the attention and acclaim it deserves. Awesome movie. Expand
  20. KyleF.
    Jan 17, 2009
    Funniest movie I've ever seen. Weird at times, but the whole fighting Frank thing was just too much. I love this movie!
  21. DallinP
    Jul 13, 2009
    Hilarious movie! It certainly isn't afraid to try out new things but it balances it well with comic classics such as the jerk boyfriend. This movie is simply awesome.
  22. Dec 15, 2010
    A Comedy Masterpiece? Of course not. A Cult Comedy Masterpiece? I'd say so. Yes, the film is reliant on Absurdist and odd humor. But behind what many may find extreme stupidity, I find a subtle sense of genius. All the little things pull together to make this comedy among my favorites. Andy Samberg's energetic performance, the entirely Europe soundtrack despite there not being a clear timeA Comedy Masterpiece? Of course not. A Cult Comedy Masterpiece? I'd say so. Yes, the film is reliant on Absurdist and odd humor. But behind what many may find extreme stupidity, I find a subtle sense of genius. All the little things pull together to make this comedy among my favorites. Andy Samberg's energetic performance, the entirely Europe soundtrack despite there not being a clear time setting, and, what I would say is the best climax of all time, the riot scene. Accenting the film is Danny McBride's performance, while not fine acting, is funny during every line. The Cast, Direction, makes what critics may call "A Poor Attempt at an Extended Digital Short" what I call "A Brilliant, Misunderstood Brilliant Comedy" Expand
  23. May 8, 2011
    This is a film that has only gotten better with time. The difficulty for many absurdist comedies (Wet Hot American Summer, Anchorman, etc.) is that they are designed to find purchase with viewers' tastes over repeat viewings, with clever asides and small jokes packed within the larger bit which may at first appear overly broad and simplistic, prompting some people to call a film with aThis is a film that has only gotten better with time. The difficulty for many absurdist comedies (Wet Hot American Summer, Anchorman, etc.) is that they are designed to find purchase with viewers' tastes over repeat viewings, with clever asides and small jokes packed within the larger bit which may at first appear overly broad and simplistic, prompting some people to call a film with a potentially elaborate wit "stupid." Critics don't have the benefit of seeing a film multiple times prior to a review, and thus often absurdist films are lumped into categories with other twee indie comedies and ignored. It's true that absurdism is an acquired taste, and there are many people who don't grasp the rhythm of these films. But for those who can enjoy a scripted comedy with a sense of the wildly absurd and slightly parodic, "Hot Rod" is a must-see, and one of the most underappreciated comedies of 2007. While it starts with a bang, it takes a little bit for the movie to switch into full gear. Having Ian McShane is always a smart casting choice for any film, and he shows here that he can wield comedy along with his usual gravitas. Samberg, meanwhile, is a terrific doofus, as expected, and fans of his web and TV antics will love what he does here. But for the real breakout star? It's a three-way tie: Jorma Taccone, Bill Hader, and Danny McBride shine throughout the film as Samberg's plucky crew, and provide many of the great background laughs that will keep viewers coming back again and again (Hader's facial expressions, in particular, create a film reel's worth of hilarity when you least expect them). Isla Fisher and Will Arnett also play some great bit parts, though nothing too outside-the-box for either of their histories.

Combine all of this with a soundtrack so 80s cheese-tastic it drips through the speakers, and "Hot Rod" is absolutely worth your time. It's not for everyone, but as a fan of slapstick and absurdism, this film had me rolling from start to ridiculous finish.
  24. Jul 8, 2013
    This movie was so crazy funny that I can't believe it did so badly. It's actually just a huge bummer to know we might not get more from this team of people. Maybe it's not for everybody. Certainly it is quite low brow. Anybody who is a fan of the Lonely Island's work is going to find lots to like about this movie.
  25. Jun 14, 2013
    Good movie, as long as you're going in expecting a light-hearted comedy, and understand the stupidity is why it is funny and it is intentional.
  26. Nov 9, 2014
    I'm upset that no one went to see Hot Rod In theaters. This is a very funny comedy with a great heart. The score with the cheesy 80's vibe is better than many movie scores I've heard. You are supplied with laughs every minute. Hot Rod is a soon to be CLASSIC with a devoted fan base. Hot Rod deserves a 10.
  27. Nov 9, 2014
    Hot Rod is a great movie for families with kids I would say at least 15 or above. This is an AMAZING movie. It has lots of comedy elements to make it a great movie. It has comedy, randomness, and adult/teen humor. I think it is a totally under rated movie and barely anybody went to see it in theaters but it has a great cult following and a strong and sturdy fan base. It is a greatHot Rod is a great movie for families with kids I would say at least 15 or above. This is an AMAZING movie. It has lots of comedy elements to make it a great movie. It has comedy, randomness, and adult/teen humor. I think it is a totally under rated movie and barely anybody went to see it in theaters but it has a great cult following and a strong and sturdy fan base. It is a great hilarious movie and i love it. Expand

1. Hot Rod is a stupid movie about stupid people doing stupid things.
  2. Unfortunately, the gags start to wear thin shortly around the 15-minute mark, not to mention the fact that they pale in comparison to the real-life indignities endured by the members of the "Jackass" crew.
  3. Reviewed by: Gregory Kirschling
    Wait until the best parts pop up on YouTube.