Hot Tub Time Machine

6.6

1. Sep 27, 2011
    The movie is sorta similar to "The Hangover" with its chronologically misplaced plot. But its surprisingly fun.
  2. RobM
    Apr 20, 2010
    Walked out. Loved The Hangover, but this was absolutely worthless.
  3. Sep 22, 2010
    Much better movie than i expected initially. Hilarious movie. Good jokes, funny actors, absolutely random but funny plot. A very interesting and funny comedy.
  4. Jan 7, 2011
    this film has all the makings of a timeless classic. A great cast, superb dialouge, great plot and an original atmosphere. It gets funnier every time you watch it. I had no idea it would become one of my favourite comedies when I first watched it, but it's really grown on me. So damn funny.
  5. Nov 10, 2010
    One of my favorite movies of the year. Had a lot of hilarious moments and the characters were awesome, especially Lou. Made me want to go to a ski resort.
  6. Nov 26, 2010
    Hilarious. By the end you will be "Is that what were going with? Awesome!" At first I thought this would be serious about the issues with time traveling and then it so funny you don't care.
  7. DukeL
    Mar 30, 2010
    It's like The Godfather, Bonnie and Clyde, Star Wars, Pulp Fiction, Back to the Future and Jaws all in one movie. I'm kidding. It's a solid B. A lot funnier and crude than I thought it would be and I'm all the more happier for it. Yes, there are some cliches, but the fun and humor definitely outweight it. Like an incomprehensible Chevy Chase and a cooky Crispen Glover It's like The Godfather, Bonnie and Clyde, Star Wars, Pulp Fiction, Back to the Future and Jaws all in one movie. I'm kidding. It's a solid B. A lot funnier and crude than I thought it would be and I'm all the more happier for it. Yes, there are some cliches, but the fun and humor definitely outweight it. Like an incomprehensible Chevy Chase and a cooky Crispen Glover in supporting roles. Expand
  8. YourMother
    Apr 4, 2010
    I laughed a few times, but there really wasn't any memorable moments. I think it was at least worth seeing for me, but never really wowed me like The Hangover did.
  9. DavidS
    Jun 12, 2010
    The 80's references were cute and one or two jokes were kind of funny, but overall this thing was just awful. (spoiler ahead) And I am usually just offended by a final message saying "just be rich and things will work out great".
  10. Sep 7, 2010
    Not that funny. I laughed maybe once or twice the whole time. I had a friend tell me this was funnier then The Hangover. I no longer accept movie recommendations from this friend
  11. Oct 1, 2010
    Just a generally poor movie. I didn't think the movie executed much of what it set out to do. The plot was weak. This of course was no surprise it is a movie about a Hot Tub Time Machine after all, but that set them up with a lot of potential and yet the movie still fell flat on its face. The movie pretty much just tries to live off of the 1980s nostalgia for teen movies. The sadJust a generally poor movie. I didn't think the movie executed much of what it set out to do. The plot was weak. This of course was no surprise it is a movie about a Hot Tub Time Machine after all, but that set them up with a lot of potential and yet the movie still fell flat on its face. The movie pretty much just tries to live off of the 1980s nostalgia for teen movies. The sad thing is that its a worse picture than many of the 1980s teen comedies and that's saying something. Its raunchy, which can be ok, but this movies humor just generally fails. It certainly doesn't find the perfect match between raunchiness and laughs like a movie such as The Hangover or Superbad does. Overall unless your really in the right mind set for this movie it isn't worth your time. Expand
  12. Jun 7, 2011
    Watchable, when you're bored off your ass, otherwise forget it.

I need 150 chars... here we go 12345678901234567890234567890234567890234567890234567890234567890234567890234567890234567890234567890234567890234567890
  13. Mar 20, 2012
    So, I was looking at different time travel films to watch, and I was appalled that this film has a 6.6 metascore. What the hell is wrong with society? This is just some raunchy, lazy, worthless piece of crap excuse for horny males. I mean, how many boobs, F* bombs and sex jokes does Hollywood need to make? This genre should be banned, its not art. Its CRAP.
  14. Mr.Beely
    Apr 1, 2010
    This movie was hilarious. I laughed from start to finish.
  15. KyleA.
    Apr 6, 2010
    It was a very funny movie, many funny moments as with all of these kinds of movies, but I feel like they leave a lot of gaps in the story line and plot, such as you never find out what the "Great White Buffalo" is. But for a good, funny film to see with your friends, I recommend it.
  16. JohnC
    Bad movie.
  17. MichaelD
    Mar 26, 2010
    I saw this movie 2-3 weeks ago at a screening, I was so excited for this movie and would talk about how funny and great it looked. I was incredibly disappointed. Even though the story isn't meant to make sense, you can't help yourself but cringe at how bad the story is. I get the fact it's supposed to be dumb, but It could have been dumb and great at the same time. I saw this movie 2-3 weeks ago at a screening, I was so excited for this movie and would talk about how funny and great it looked. I was incredibly disappointed. Even though the story isn't meant to make sense, you can't help yourself but cringe at how bad the story is. I get the fact it's supposed to be dumb, but It could have been dumb and great at the same time. You'll be cringing all the way through it based on how bad the story is put together, It just moves from one dick joke to another, then the movie is over. I'm 18, I love movies like that too, but this movie was shit. I laughed 2 or 3 times, but they were cheap laughs that were thrown at the audience to keep them interested, like unfair shock laughs. You wont be quoting this movie to friends, and you won't remember this movie a year from now. It's just a total waste of what talent the movie had to offer. Thank Christ I saw this movie for free, or else I'd be even more pissed off. Expand
  18. Gary
    Mar 26, 2010
    Saw a late night screening last night, very funny. What crack me up even more are the actual
  19. MarkJ.
    Mar 27, 2010
    Guys-only stupid movie comedies come in two flavors: stupid-stupid and smart-stupid. Stupid-stupid comedies are stupid movies made by stupid guys. Smart-stupid comedies are made by smart guys who get together and say, "HEY! Let's make a really stupid gross-out movie that's makes us laugh." Think "Beerfest" vs. "The Hangover." "Hot Tub TIme Machine" is the latter. It makes guys Guys-only stupid movie comedies come in two flavors: stupid-stupid and smart-stupid. Stupid-stupid comedies are stupid movies made by stupid guys. Smart-stupid comedies are made by smart guys who get together and say, "HEY! Let's make a really stupid gross-out movie that's makes us laugh." Think "Beerfest" vs. "The Hangover." "Hot Tub TIme Machine" is the latter. It makes guys laugh so hard we gag and wheeze, makes us feel vaguely ashamed at having such a good time and let's us ease our guilty consciences by saying, "It was just a stupid little gross-out laugh in the boys' room in between Marlboroughs." What's wrong with that? Expand
  20. Carlos
    Mar 29, 2010
    Relies heavily on cheap laughs, but does contain a few genuine lol moments. For mature audiences definitely, no 12 years old please.
  21. ChadS.
    Mar 30, 2010
    Did black people really listen to Rick Springfield? Sure, they did. Unaware of the ostensible incongruity of his race and song selection, Nick(Craig Robinson) belts out "Jessie's Girl" before a ski resort audience, and probably means every word of that chart-topping power-pop classic. Set ten years prior to the Telecommunications Act of 1996, "Hot Tub Time Machine" recalls an era in Did black people really listen to Rick Springfield? Sure, they did. Unaware of the ostensible incongruity of his race and song selection, Nick(Craig Robinson) belts out "Jessie's Girl" before a ski resort audience, and probably means every word of that chart-topping power-pop classic. Set ten years prior to the Telecommunications Act of 1996, "Hot Tub Time Machine" recalls an era in which niche marketing had less of a stranglehold on the music industry. By deregulating the airwaves, rock parted ways with soul, creating a musical segregation that, to this day, keeps all the genres in isolation from each other. But Nick lived through the eighties, so in spite of his Kid & Play hairdo, Nick's eighteen-year-old self was probably an anglophile, as well, which is hinted at by the straightaway older man's universal inquiry, "Where can I find a woman like that?" Such music cosmopolitanism can also be glimpsed in Dito Montiel's "A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints", where Robert Downey Jr.(as Montiel, reflecting back on his formative days spent in Astoria, New York circa 1986) marvels that Puerto Ricans had once listened to Journey. "Yo, Steve Perry is the s***!" proclaims one of the Latino youths. That's debatable. In my mind, Dave Wakeling of The English Beat was the s***. The inclusion of "Save it For Later" on the soundtrack was probably John Cusack's idea. (General Public's "Tenderness" is my favorite eighties song.) Although "Hot Tub Time Machine" disappointingly fails to detect "The Heart of Rock and Roll" in spite of its numerous "Back to the Future" references, the amiable enough film perfectly nails down the decade's tacky surfaces. If you want a love letter to Generation X: see Greg Mottola's "Adventureland" instead. Expand
  22. CaseyF
    Apr 3, 2010
    This made me laugh a hell of a lot more than The Hangover did. It was a screwy plot and it left a lot unanswered, but in this kind of movie you really just don't care. It's a feel good romp, one that left me thoroughly entertained.
  23. Brando
    Apr 3, 2010
    You'll get the most out of this movie by going in expecting exactly what the title offers. The comedy seems a little dated because of the success of The Hangover, but it offers a lot of laughs and brilliant cameos by Chase and Glover.
  24. FatimaM
    Apr 4, 2010
    If you are between the ages of 33 and 55 and grew up in the United States, you must go see HOT TUB TIME MACHINE. I laughed the entire 1 hr and 45 min. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.
  25. ZinT
    May 6, 2010
    God damn awful. Like a bad version of the Hangover. It's like none of the jokes made the final cut. Half the time it was like the actors didn't even want to be there. CRAP.
  26. KevM
    Jun 11, 2010
    Walked out. Insult to the genre and complete waste of time. It's biggest crime...not funny...at...all. I am completely baffled by the "professional" critics on this one.
  27. berban
    Jun 3, 2010
    Better than I expected for a comedy of this caliber... but not too much better.
  28. TeakW
    Mar 26, 2010
    Vulgar but utterly hilarious. The trailers really don't give it any justice. Don't miss this movie.
  29. Steve-O
    Mar 27, 2010
    I worked at a ski resort for 7 years in the 80's. This movie was made for and is about me. Ah...the mammeries...erm, memories! Best comedic movie since The Hangover.
  30. Critic
    Mar 27, 2010
    going into it ii though it would suck much to my surprise it pretty funny now how am i gonna survive raw after wrestlemania.......

1. Reviewed by: Dan Kois
    A fundamentally lazy comedy that will probably make you laugh like an idiot.
    Like the "Scream" series, Hot Tub Time Machine is a cake-and-eat-it-too experience; you get both a vintage Brat Pack comedy, albeit one regrettably drenched in post-Hangover raunch, and an ongoing metacommentary at the same time.
    A sloppy, raucous, time travel farce in the grown-men-gone-wild "Hangover" style, it’s a surprisingly satisfying, if not exactly LMAO, riot.