Hotel Rwanda

8.8

1. BrutusO.
    Apr 5, 2005
    Reading the reviews, it seems to me that a lot of people are missing the point of this movie. It isn't about America, or American/European culpability in the massacres, or Bill Clinton, or even about African governance. And it isn't particularly well made, either, or stylish. What it is, however, is legitimately terrifying in a way that most horror movies only dream about. Those Reading the reviews, it seems to me that a lot of people are missing the point of this movie. It isn't about America, or American/European culpability in the massacres, or Bill Clinton, or even about African governance. And it isn't particularly well made, either, or stylish. What it is, however, is legitimately terrifying in a way that most horror movies only dream about. Those of us who have been in East Africa know that the character stereotypes are pretty close to the bone. So some Rwandans are evil, some good. Some expatriates are good, and some aren't. Frankly, all of the cavilling and complaints about the actors pale into insignificance when faced with the fact that a lot of this stuff really happened, and will happen again somewhere, sometime. If that doesn't get you going, go back to Lord of the Rings or whatever for your thrills.Before I went in (I was dragged in by a girlfriend), I thought it was going to be tedious and obvious - but this movie has an emotional impact that transcends the medium. I found myself on the edge of my seat throughout, and was emotionally exhausted at the end. Nuff said. Expand
  2. EricL.
    Jan 10, 2005
    Best movie of the year does not do it justice. Best movie ever. An Absolute Masterpiece.
  3. AndyS.
    Jan 20, 2005
    What movie are you criers watching? This was visually unimaginative and extremely manipulative.
  4. VincentB.
    Jan 20, 2005
    One of the most manipulative films in a long time, exploiting one of the great tragedies of modern times.
  5. BillK.
    Jan 30, 2005
    Given the inflammatory nature of the material, the film's great virtue is its sobriety.
  6. abhijay
    Jan 30, 2005
    Obviously a film about genocide can't be subtle and it's hard to take lines like, "why are people so cruel?" seriously, but there is a fascinating individual story here, a rich, palpable and pervasive tension that is convincingly rendered onscreen without being too preachy. the shots of the "whites" leaving in the rain were highlights. maybe too intense for some as i found Obviously a film about genocide can't be subtle and it's hard to take lines like, "why are people so cruel?" seriously, but there is a fascinating individual story here, a rich, palpable and pervasive tension that is convincingly rendered onscreen without being too preachy. the shots of the "whites" leaving in the rain were highlights. maybe too intense for some as i found myself gripping the handrest with unusual ferocity for extended periods of time. as for the rash of 0-1 scores on the previous page. it's quite obvious they were posted by the same user. take a look at how all of the names are structured in the same way - first name, last initial. someone with an unusually racist worldview has taken time to try to railroad the metacritic site, hopefully most people have either been spurred to discover the truth by reading these ignorant statements or been wise enough to ignore uninformed one-note dismissals of the movie based purely on some vague notion of a fabricated history. Expand
  7. NancyM.
    Jan 8, 2005
    This film did what Cabaret did for Nazi Germany....you knew the power of what was happening in the background through the eyes of a few characters...The movie was powerful and I, for one, that I, too, said isn't that awful and went back to dinner as Joachim Phoenix said in the movie. Cheadle deserves the academy award as does the director.
  8. KristenM.
    Jan 9, 2005
    If you only see one movie this year, make it this one. It is 2 hours well spent. It will leave you pondering what we should be doing globally to combat evil. Tell your friends to go see it - it needs to be released wide in order to get a greater audience base.
  9. BitBurn
    Jun 9, 2005
    Watching this movie made me realize how precious our lives are. How insignificant my little financial or emotional problems can be compared to what happened over there. Cheadle is extraordinary. The rest of the plot is fabulous too!
  10. PatC.
    May 11, 2006
    A good movie presenting a story that needed to be told. While emotionally and morally self-evident, it was strangely lacking in lasting cerebral understanding. A film done well within the limits imposed on itself.
  11. JimB.
    Mar 25, 2007
    One of the greatest movies of all times. Connects with the viewer on a political, moral, romantic, personal, and work ethical level.
  12. Lucy
    Dec 20, 2004
    The best film I have seen all year. A heartbreaking story, phenomenal acting, and powerful music. This film is an intense emotional experience.
  13. ShelleyM.
    Jan 12, 2005
    This movie has changed my life...very few movies have to power to do that.
  14. AmyR
    Jan 22, 2005
    Simple and heartwrenching. Perhaps not the cinematic masterpiece that some movie snobs habitually seek out, but just the right dose of humanity, history and shame to speak to those of us in more fortunate corners of the world.
  15. BobE.
    Jan 20, 2005
    Extremely disjointed and insulting. This was a blatent rip-off of the genuine emotions felt in "Schindler's List" This movie is a fraud!
  16. JoeM.
    Jan 20, 2005
    A patronizing piece of propaganda that exploits events, with a filmaker of no real vision and style. The users are overating the film, big-time!
  17. MariaA.
    Jan 20, 2005
    I'm sorry, I just don't buy it! There are certain moviegoers who enjoy emoting and feeling depressed, but this movie really left me cold. It was a terrible attempt to manipulate that didn't work.
  18. TommyJ.
    Jan 20, 2005
    The user rating for this film is misleading and way off-the-mark. This was less a "film" than a poorly-constructed docudrama that used shameless manipulative tactics. Not a film to recommend to anyone.
  19. JasonG.
    Jan 20, 2005
    In the end, an overwrought, messy and boring drama that is highly overestimated.
  20. JeffM.
    Jan 20, 2005
    I must give this film the lowest grade to counter the incredible overpraise it is receiving from artistically clueless users. This film was bland and devoid of visual style. On purpose you say? Yes, probably, but hard to sit through.
  21. JamesM.
    Jan 20, 2005
    I love histor and current events, but this film was dishonest and exploitative. While many of the readers swoon and gush over it with their ridiculous 10 ratings, I find the film extreme in the other direction.
  22. LouisA.
    Jan 20, 2005
    I went to see this with high expectations, but was disappointed with the bland screenplay and listless direction. It could have been a great film, but in the end was a poor imitation of "Schindler's List."
  23. HenryK.
    Jan 20, 2005
    Far from the spectacular film that many users on this forum have indicated. Overated script, performances and technical achievements. A complete bummer!
  24. JohnT.
    Jan 20, 2005
    Best picture of the year? I think not. Actually a film that tries and make you believe events that were not genuine, but dramatic rip-offs from Spielberg's "Schindler's List"
  25. LeaT.
    Jan 20, 2005
    This does not deserve a Best Picture nomination as it exploits and manipulates real-life events to produce a calculated tearjerker.
  26. MarkS
    Jan 31, 2005
    While this movie does remind one of Schindler's list, that does not make it a bad movie. It just shows that there are many good people in the world who look out for others, even in the most trying times. This movie shows us what happened in Rwanda while the world took a blind eye. I would have liked a little more of the historical context for the fighting that went on, but this movie While this movie does remind one of Schindler's list, that does not make it a bad movie. It just shows that there are many good people in the world who look out for others, even in the most trying times. This movie shows us what happened in Rwanda while the world took a blind eye. I would have liked a little more of the historical context for the fighting that went on, but this movie was quite good even missing that. Expand
  27. AnneI.
    Oct 31, 2005
    There is no doubt in my mind that the miracles that were depicted in this movie were from God. It was a very moving and powerful movie.
  28. e.bS.
    Jan 30, 2005
    One of the years best films . a.m.a.z.i.n.g.
  29. Coco
    Jan 5, 2005
    Best Movie I've seen in years. Read the Salon review, which perfectly captures it.
  30. LewisP.
    Jan 7, 2005
    Extraordinarily moving. A modern day Shindler's List. Although we are rocked by the enormity of the tsunami, it is vital to remember that a MILLION people were slaughtered, hacked to death with machetes by their countrymen while the world did absolutely NOTHING to stop it. Horrifying and shameful. We should not need a tidal wave to open our hearts and minds.
  31. JohnY.
    Jan 7, 2005
    The best film of the year -- emotionally powerful with stunning acting from Cheadle.
  32. EleanorM.
    Jan 8, 2005
    Absolutely heartbreaking. You HAVE to see this and tell others. Its crucial.
  33. PaulD.
    Jan 8, 2005
    Best movie Iv'e seen in a long time
  34. M.A.Moran
    Feb 2, 2005
    Don Cheadle is amazing, but Paul Rusesabagina is truly the man! Excellent and powerful film without being preachy or manipulative.
  35. KarenC.
    Feb 3, 2005
    I saw the movie with someone who had spent time in Rwanda and knew the history from it's source. People critical of the portrayal of Rwandans are looking for what they want to see and not what is actual. We were both impressed and moved. The movie was made to tell the true story of a hotel manager and his experience in those awful 90 days of genocide, not the whole story of Rwanda. I saw the movie with someone who had spent time in Rwanda and knew the history from it's source. People critical of the portrayal of Rwandans are looking for what they want to see and not what is actual. We were both impressed and moved. The movie was made to tell the true story of a hotel manager and his experience in those awful 90 days of genocide, not the whole story of Rwanda. This should not be compared to Schindler's list...the stories have similarities, but are not the same. Schindler had years to work out his humanitarian effort...Rusesabagina's situation was thrust on him in a matter of days and grew more harrowing at an alarming speed. Don Cheadle was fabulous and deserves an oscar for his performance. Rusesabagina oversaw the whole making of the movie, so I feel confident that it was true to his memory. Expand
  36. amandal.
    Feb 3, 2005
    Don Cheadle is absolutely wonderful, as is the rest of the cast. Heart-wrenching movie; definitely must-see.
  37. EugeneN.
    Feb 4, 2005
    This movie is about courage. A must see movie.
  38. LinL.
    Feb 6, 2005
    Don Cheadle's compelling presence holds the movie together, and you keep remembering in horror, "This is a true story." But the emotional ups and downs get wearisome -- tearful embrace in fear; tearful embrace in relief; tearful embrace in fear-that-turns-into-relief, etc.
  39. NirmalK.
    Feb 6, 2005
    I though I will come disapointed knowing the story before going to movie but it is a very thoghy provovative movie. Well made and writen, They conveyed the barbarism without gore - must see.
  40. KaceyG.
    Mar 29, 2005
    The acting in this movie was very well done, as was the whole story.
  41. MikeG
    Jul 9, 2005
    To be honest with you, I don't really care about this film's strengths and weaknesses. The conflict that this movie is portraying is what does it for me; just the image of the soldier saying "No Rwandans" and the reporter's take on what people will say to his footage does it for me. It's so true.
  42. jj
    Sep 3, 2005
    So good.
  43. DouglasR.
    Aug 2, 2006
    A truly emotional movie that highlights the disgraceful neglect of atrocities that occur in Africa. For the family featured it was a happy ending unlike for millions of others.
  44. RamzeezeB.
    Feb 24, 2007
    just a great movie. it caputures the reality and is justs an awesome file.
  45. LanaS.
    Mar 5, 2007
    A wonderfully acted, meticulously observed political drama.
  46. EvanO.
    May 30, 2008
    This was a very good movie. I'm only 14 and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The acting by Cheadle was terrific, and most of the plot was done spectacularly. I wasn't too bloody, but was very, very sad. It really is hard to believe that something like this could have happened only 15 years ago.
  47. PatrickS
    Feb 26, 2009
    ONe of the most inspiraional movies I have seen in a long time. It shows that no matter what and in the time of reckoning that one person can come out and change it for a country. Don Cheadle was brilliant and showed courage and teanacity to overcome the Hutu militia.
  48. TaylorB
    Apr 3, 2009
    This movie was insane. I am 14!!! and this movie touched me greatly. It made me think this only happened 14 or 25 years ago. If you put you self in side one of those people who watched there children,mom,dad,brother or sister get chopped up with a knife or beaten to death. What do you think? This movie deserves 10/10!!!
  49. IanR
    Jun 28, 2009
    Whether what others say, this is certainly one of the best dramas out there. My intention to watch this film was really for suspense, but I got more than what I expected. And this film goes to my list as the most moving film I have ever seen.Can't help but cry.
  50. ForettaW
    Jun 13, 2010
    I was 11 when I watched this heartbreaking movie! I can say it made my tear up watching people being killed. I handled it well though because the point in my class was to see what is actually happening in the world of ours. It touched my heart so much! Wouldn't you think I am too young to watch a rated R movie?
  51. DermN.
    Dec 23, 2004
    Absorbing. Don't let the bummer topic keep you away. The story is ultimately upbeat and truly heroic. Don Cheadle carries the film on his shoulders very well.
  52. ChristinaS.
    Jan 11, 2005
    The best movie I've senn in many years. Very powerful and moving.
  53. donaldw
    Jan 13, 2005
    A powerful, gut wrenching, frightening and moving film. Excellent performances by all, including an uncredited Jean Reno.
  54. TomB.
    Jan 15, 2005
    One of the finest movies I have ever watched or better yet, experienced. Cheadle is a 10 on a 5 star scale. An astonishing movie in every way.
  55. NathanF.
    Jan 21, 2005
    I salute Don Cheadle for taking on the least feel-good movie of the year. The tragedy of what happened in Rwanda, and what continues to happen in other forms in other parts of the world, needs to be told -- and watched -- so that perhaps we can lessen or prevent future such horrors. But maybe I'm too optimistic. Regardless, his portrayal of Paul Rusesabagina is a striking portrait of I salute Don Cheadle for taking on the least feel-good movie of the year. The tragedy of what happened in Rwanda, and what continues to happen in other forms in other parts of the world, needs to be told -- and watched -- so that perhaps we can lessen or prevent future such horrors. But maybe I'm too optimistic. Regardless, his portrayal of Paul Rusesabagina is a striking portrait of how one man confronts the barbarity and anarchy around him, and does what he can -- even if it's akin to fighting an inferno with a spritzer bottle -- while struggling to maintain his courage and composure in the midst of hell. Bravo. In similar circumstances, who of us would do better? Expand
  56. JustineL.
    Oct 22, 2005
    Let not the following make same mistake... remember what the history taught us in Hotel Rwanda.
  57. jorgev.
    Jan 22, 2005
    I find it impossible to give this anything less than a 10. yes, it "hollywood-ized" paul's story, but it's still a story the west needs to be told. a 10 for don cheadle's performance alone.
  58. MarcD
    Jan 22, 2005
    Powerful with a fantastic performance by Cheadle. However, it lacks a certain something to classify it as a film classic.
  59. KenG
    Jan 23, 2005
    Reading these readers comments was very interesting. Why do you suppose so many readers gave this movie 0 or 1 star? For the conseratives among them could it be they didn't like that this movie didn't make the United States look good (as the leader of the western world that ignored what was going on) For the liberals among them could it be that they didn't like that this Reading these readers comments was very interesting. Why do you suppose so many readers gave this movie 0 or 1 star? For the conseratives among them could it be they didn't like that this movie didn't make the United States look good (as the leader of the western world that ignored what was going on) For the liberals among them could it be that they didn't like that this movie because it could be taken as daming of Bill Clinton, and also could be used by some to justify (wrongly- I am liberal) Bush's war in Iraq. Grow-up people, this was an excellent movie, and if I am right as to why so many people are giving it such a big thumbs down, it really makes a sorry statement, but it does partially explain how we could have so easily ignored what was going on. Expand
  60. SeanW.
    Jan 24, 2005
    Sadly, this is a film that is not reaching the general populace. I thought the movie touched just the right balance in how much violence to show and withhold. One cannot demonstrate the horror of such an event by trying to show the violence. How could you show a million deaths? What they could do was show the affects on individual lives like the hotel manager or the girl who begged the Sadly, this is a film that is not reaching the general populace. I thought the movie touched just the right balance in how much violence to show and withhold. One cannot demonstrate the horror of such an event by trying to show the violence. How could you show a million deaths? What they could do was show the affects on individual lives like the hotel manager or the girl who begged the Western journalist not to leave her because she'd be taken out and chopped. I even felt for the U.N. soldiers who had been castrated by the politics of their superiors. Hearing the bitter irony behind the comments of the West as they refused to term the situation genocide made me ashamed to be a Westerner. Are we behaving any differently now with the genocide in Darfur? As one of the characters in the film related, we just say that "It's terrible." Then we go back to eating supper. I highly, highly recommend it. Expand
  61. RP
    Jan 27, 2005
    One of my top 10 for 2004. Gripping. Not as good as Schindler's List but close.
  62. riazd
    Powerful.
  63. DeniseJ.
    Jan 31, 2005
    This was the most moving movie I have ever seen.
  64. keithw
    Jan 5, 2005
    See this movie at any cost.
  65. MelissaG.
    Jan 8, 2005
    The acting, the richness of each scene -- the density of landscape, houses, different classes of people, bands, faces -- the decency to make a film that tells a terrible and true story -- make the experience of viewing this movie a powerful event. I thought President Clinton got off easy here. I thought the fact that the US refused even to cripple the murderous radio broadcasts should The acting, the richness of each scene -- the density of landscape, houses, different classes of people, bands, faces -- the decency to make a film that tells a terrible and true story -- make the experience of viewing this movie a powerful event. I thought President Clinton got off easy here. I thought the fact that the US refused even to cripple the murderous radio broadcasts should have been included. Finally, I thought more of the perspective & story of the UN chief, Lt. Gen. Roméo Dallaire, would have deepened the story. Cheadle is phenomenal; the children are darling & fine actors. Expand
  66. BrianB
    Feb 1, 2005
    A powerful, important, and well-crafted film. Extremely moving. Would rate a 10 if not for Nick Nolte. See this despite him (it's a minor role anyway). The rest of the cast is very convincing, and portray very real emotions. A movie that stays with you long after you see it. And the soundtrack is wonderful too.
  67. JudeeG.
    Feb 12, 2005
    A very powerful film. Obvisously, much of the gore and horrror of the period was left out, but the desperation and fear was excellently played out by Cheadle and the rest of the cast.
  68. MarkB.
    Feb 19, 2005
    Modest but smartly written and directed example of that problematic movie genre unflatteringly known as Spinach Cinema, featuring a standout performance by Don Cheadle (Devil in a Blue Dress, TV's Picket Fences) as heroic hotel manager Paul Ruesabagina, who protected over 1,000 Tutsi refugees from being wiped out in a 1994 South African civil war that escalated into mass genocide. Modest but smartly written and directed example of that problematic movie genre unflatteringly known as Spinach Cinema, featuring a standout performance by Don Cheadle (Devil in a Blue Dress, TV's Picket Fences) as heroic hotel manager Paul Ruesabagina, who protected over 1,000 Tutsi refugees from being wiped out in a 1994 South African civil war that escalated into mass genocide. Spinach Cinema is a blanket term used to describe good or bad films dealing with an uncomfortable-to-confront hot button issue that, if it were covered on CNN, many viewers would hurriedly surf past it to ESPN or a Friends rerun. Consequently, and with a few key exceptions (Gandhi, Schindler's List), these films aren't box office successes, because potential attendees respond to them the way most 5-year-olds respond to spinach. Case in point: the valiant but doomed 2003 Angelina Jolie/Clive Owen flick Beyond Borders; not at all a bad movie, but audiences avoided it in droves because who wants to see repeated closeups of bloated, starving African orphans either before or after a dinner date? Writer-director Terry George nimbly avoids most of the pitfalls by having most of the atrocities appear offscreen, using footage of mass executions very sparingly and fleetingly, and emphasizing suspense while adding an occasional, totally unexpected dash of humor. George's best move is the conception and casting of his central character, who in his actions bears some superficial resemblances to Oskar Schindler but is vastly different: Schindler was an aristocratic, highly successful businessman and womanizer whose change was so unexpected that director Steven Spielberg and writer Steven Zaillian wisely never completely explain it, knowing that they can't. Most of us aren't Schindler: we're not rich, and we're faithful to our partners...and Cheadle's great triumph as Ruesabagina is his portrayal of him as a vulnerable Everyman who does the right thing. This makes Hotel Rwanda, despite its tough subject matter, surprisingly upbeat and ennobling: it tells us that if he can act heroically and selflessly under overwhelming circumstances, we can too. And it counterbalances some of the difficult implications of mass slaughter that any film dealing with it has to confront: what was the rest of the world doing while this was allowed to occur? Judgment at Nuremberg, made by Stanley Kramer (the king of American Spinach Cinema and a filmmaker that everyone once liked until Pauline Kael wrote an essay telling them not to) hurled the thunderbolt that America gave the German judges who turned droves of innocent people over to the Nazis a slap on the wrist because we wanted to make nice with post-World War II Germany and get their business. Hotel Rwanda, in its own genteel way, makes an equally if not more damning indictment: that America and Europe mostly ignored the mass exterminations in Rwanda only partially because troops were occupied in other hot spots at the time (which would be a slightly defensible excuse if it were actually true)--but mostly because, in addition to Rwanda not being an oil-rich territory, it's pretty much Blacks killing off other Blacks, so why should America and Europe care? It's implied, rather than flatly stated outright, but in even hinting at it, Hotel Rwanda courageously graduates from Spinach Cinema to Cod Liver Oil Cinema. Expand
  69. MichalF.
    Feb 2, 2005
    My only concern about this remarkable movie is the sound track. I found there were a number of times that I could not hear what was being said,mostly because the musical and noixse background overwhelmed the speaker.
  70. SusanM.
    Feb 22, 2005
    Excellent movie, very inspirational, very moving. Anyone who gives it a 5/10 because it doesn't portray the violence graphically enough should maybe choose another movie genre, like horror! The story is about one man's courage in times of despair, one family's love when surrounded by hatred, not a gore-fest. I would highly recommend this movie.
  71. MichaelL.
    Feb 24, 2005
    Best movie!
  72. KatieF.
    Feb 27, 2005
    Excellent - a must see movie! It was so powerful that the theater was completely silent as everyone left.
  73. AaronF.
    Feb 6, 2005
    Do not see "Hotel Rwanda" ever. and by ever i mean never ever. not in theaters and certainly not when it comes out on dvd. do not rent it. do not watch it at a friend's house. if it is ever screened on television...change the channel. now you might be wandering what is so bad about this movie, and to be perfectly honest it wasn't the worst movie i've ever seen Do not see "Hotel Rwanda" ever. and by ever i mean never ever. not in theaters and certainly not when it comes out on dvd. do not rent it. do not watch it at a friend's house. if it is ever screened on television...change the channel. now you might be wandering what is so bad about this movie, and to be perfectly honest it wasn't the worst movie i've ever seen (cough-"Armageddon"-cough), but it was without a doubt one of the most disappointing releases in years. what works me up so much about this particular film's suckage is the buzz surrounding it; three oscar nominations - THREE!! don cheadle was fine, but that was about it. i don't give kudos to performances that beg for them, and this would be such a case. the story that the film explores, the rwandan genocide of 1994, is in itself a captivating subject. however the way in which this conflict is presented in this film plumbs all the depths of my bathroom sink. but the cardinal sin of this clunker is doubtlessly the writing. i might only feel this way because i personally have an interest in screenwriting, and because it is my belief that you can only make a good film if you start with a good screenplay, but in any case, the dialogue and pacing in "Hotel Rwanda" just plain blows. i can't count how many times i rolled my eyes during one of cheadle's characters monologues. i could go on forever but i...i just need to stop. i suppose i'll finish by telling you, the reader, that i really hate this movie because it did have promise. there were moments where i almost felt a twinge of compassion for the characters and events onscreen, and that is why this is the most frustrating release in a long time. Expand
  74. DianaR.
    Feb 8, 2005
    This is definetly an eye opener. I would recommend that everyone see this, I had no idea these atrocities were occuring. Also, as a side note, I imagine the user rating would be higher (around a 9) if someone didn't have a personal vendeta against the movie (which explains why they rated the movie with O's many many times in a row.....)
  75. debbiel.
    Feb 9, 2005
    The movie was a moving experience; it is a tribute to the humanity of one man who stepped up for all of us.
  76. PaulaW.
    Mar 19, 2005
    I'd rate this a ten for its worthy premise but only about a five for execution. Hotel Rwanda performs an important service by putting names and faces and a landscape to far-off genocide, and it is clear-eyed about the limitations and failures of Western involvement. The heroic story of Paul Rusesabagina provides good narrative structure. But the melodrama, terrible dialogue, sketchy I'd rate this a ten for its worthy premise but only about a five for execution. Hotel Rwanda performs an important service by putting names and faces and a landscape to far-off genocide, and it is clear-eyed about the limitations and failures of Western involvement. The heroic story of Paul Rusesabagina provides good narrative structure. But the melodrama, terrible dialogue, sketchy accents and some shaky acting by Sophie Okonedo (sorry, Sophie--I loved you in Dirty Pretty Things) give this movie an unfortunate After-School Special quality. The educational value of Hotel Rwanda would be higher if it were letting the world know about a tragedy we could do something about now, like the ones going on in Sudan or the Congo, instead of one that's safely in the past. Then again it is important to know the mistakes of the past so we can try not to repeat them. Expand
  77. GerronK.
    Mar 30, 2005
    This film is an important one. I don't recall the 1994 Genocide in Rwanda, but this film opened it up for me. By focusing on only several characters, director Terry George personified the horror in Rwanda. This is a magnificently powerful film, with a beautiful score and a wonderful song by Wyclef Jean. I recommend it fully!
    Apr 13, 2005
    A story that I was not aware of, brought my attention to the horrible atrositites that happened in 1994. I want to help in any way I can to prevent this from ever happenign. I'm ashamed we did nothing to help these people
  79. ChadS.
    Apr 2, 2005
    Paul Rusesabagina gets to be the focus, and hero, in his own film. The two journalists may remind you of the FBI agents in "Mississippi Burning", whose heroism regulated whatever black leadership there was during this juncture to the sidelines. Although Joaquin Phoenix and his journalistic cohort risk their lives to get footage of the machete wielding Hutus against the orders of his boss, Paul Rusesabagina gets to be the focus, and hero, in his own film. The two journalists may remind you of the FBI agents in "Mississippi Burning", whose heroism regulated whatever black leadership there was during this juncture to the sidelines. Although Joaquin Phoenix and his journalistic cohort risk their lives to get footage of the machete wielding Hutus against the orders of his boss, the story doesn't follow their renegade excursion. We only see the footage they captured without the embellishment of the danger they encountered in getting it. In "Hotel Rwanda", there are white people who want to help, but this movie is about Paul. Here's another example: there's a health-care worker who we presume to be the dead, but towards the end of the film, we see her on the periphery of the frame as the Rwanda survivors enter a refugee camp. She's not the subject, the Africans are. Even though she plays a part in the ludicrous attempt at a happy ending, the film establishes the Rwandans first before making her the focal point. Although a more sobering finish might've been more appropriate to the material, the postscript is the final word in "Hotel Rwanda". Expand
  80. Crystal
    Apr 20, 2005
    Within the first 30 minutes of watching this movie I was in tears. Out of all of the movies i have ever seen about any war, this one hit hardest. We as americans tend to get comfortable where we are and forget about the rest of the world its problems. Everyone needs to see this movie to wake them up.
  81. heihei
    Apr 23, 2005
    How many innocent people more have to die on our watch ?????
  82. FinnR>
    May 12, 2005
    This movie is so brilliant and powerful. I think this movie will make viewers want to do something and take action where it is needed, locally or globally. And right now something needs to be done about Dafur in Sudan. It makes the viewers question, "Where were we about eleven years ago and why didn't we help?" and
  83. DedeB.
    May 19, 2005
    Wow. This movie is simply amazing. Don Cheadle delivers one of the most amazing performances ive seen in years. In scope its all within believablitiy and it had quite a few gut-wrenching moments that will go down in cinematic history. You must watch this movie. Its a great history lesson on why not to be apathetic and when you do what happens to people.
  84. nottias.
    May 19, 2005
    This movie will truly move you. It warns you that war and other problems still exists in the world. This open your eyes. I think every school should allow their students to watch this movie. Maybe the movie will teach young people how to reach out in help others even when their in the need of some help. Simply teaches them how to be brave but relaxed at the same time. In the movie Paul This movie will truly move you. It warns you that war and other problems still exists in the world. This open your eyes. I think every school should allow their students to watch this movie. Maybe the movie will teach young people how to reach out in help others even when their in the need of some help. Simply teaches them how to be brave but relaxed at the same time. In the movie Paul used all of his sources anything that came to his mind. Expand
  85. StacyD
    May 3, 2005
    Wonderful!!!!
  86. TFrayling
    May 8, 2005
    An excellent movie perfectly portraying the astounding events that happened in Rwanda. A must watch film.
  87. ZanderS.
    Jun 4, 2005
    This was a very good movie, it was scary is was sad it was happy. this movie shows us what really goes on in the world that we decided to turn our backs on.
  88. AlyE.
    Jun 7, 2005
    Excellent!!! Best movie I've seen in ages! No offense to Jamie Foxx, but Don Cheadle was robbed of the Oscar.
  89. raVen
    Jul 9, 2005
    (9.5) A frank photograph of the human lottery, as it stacks the odds according to race. I must agree: this was Cheadle's Oscar.
  90. BrianG.
    Aug 8, 2005
    I absolutely loved this movie. It was a deeply inspiring film, to see how much one man sacrificed to help his family and innocent people which were from the opposing side. Best movie in a long long time.
  91. SkylerP.
    Oct 13, 2006
    Brilliant film!
  92. AbbyG.
    Dec 23, 2006
    Our generation's parallel to the Holoacaust. This film will stay with you always.
  93. DonavinR.
    Dec 20, 2006
    A truly powerful film, with SUPERB acting. Why was this film looked over for a Best Picture nomination?
  94. RitaP.
    Feb 15, 2006
    Great film on an important topic. I was also greatful that the movie tried hard not to potray the extent of the violence.
  95. ShaniceT.
    Jun 12, 2006
    This is one of the best films of the new millennium. Don Cheadle and Sophie Okonedo deserved to win the Oscars that they were nominated for! Their acting was breathtaking, and their chemistry was magical.
  96. VinceT.
    Jun 19, 2006
    A deeply moving film with great performances all around. Don Cheadle and Sophie Okonedo were outstanding.
  97. KennedyB.
    Jun 19, 2006
    One of the best films of the 21st century. I could not believe Hotel Rwanda was not nominated for Best Picture, it absolutely deserved it. Don Cheadle was great as usual, but Sophie Okonedo's performance really shocked me. This woman is amazing!
  98. Sophie
    Jun 29, 2006
    5 stars. Finaly a good story without a typical black character (drug dealer, assassin, and other stuff).Many people could say that is awfull but they only say that because they never experienced a situation like that.I have 2 say that even if the movie was the crap that are saying, i would give the same 5 stars to the director for having the courage to expose this horrible matter.
  99. TenilleW.
    Jan 1, 2007
    Unfortunatley Mr. Hall does not know that the truth of that horrific event was exactly how it happened. 1 million people died in that tragic event. If those people were able to govern themselves do you honestly think that this horrible event would have been taking place. People like this are exactly what this movie referred to. Unfortunately, these people will never see the truth for what Unfortunatley Mr. Hall does not know that the truth of that horrific event was exactly how it happened. 1 million people died in that tragic event. If those people were able to govern themselves do you honestly think that this horrible event would have been taking place. People like this are exactly what this movie referred to. Unfortunately, these people will never see the truth for what it is. Amazing movie, amazing acting, amazing voice to the million people who lost their lives. Thank you. Expand
  100. nate
    May 4, 2009
    Great film. Don was spectacular in his role. many emotions.

1. Reviewed by: Phil Hall
    The film presents the Rwandans in the worst possible way: venal, corrupt, vicious, stupid, barbaric and completely incapable of governing themselves. Honestly, I've seen more intelligent and sympathetic depictions of Africans in Tarzan movies.
  2. Cheadle impressively carries the entire picture, delivering the kind of note-perfect performance that's absolutely deserving of Oscar consideration.
    Hotel Rwanda, based on real lives and events, aims unequivocally to break your heart.