8.6

1. BrutusO.
    Apr 5, 2005
    Reading the reviews, it seems to me that a lot of people are missing the point of this movie. It isn't about America, or American/European culpability in the massacres, or Bill Clinton, or even about African governance. And it isn't particularly well made, either, or stylish. What it is, however, is legitimately terrifying in a way that most horror movies only dream about. Those Reading the reviews, it seems to me that a lot of people are missing the point of this movie. It isn't about America, or American/European culpability in the massacres, or Bill Clinton, or even about African governance. And it isn't particularly well made, either, or stylish. What it is, however, is legitimately terrifying in a way that most horror movies only dream about. Those of us who have been in East Africa know that the character stereotypes are pretty close to the bone. So some Rwandans are evil, some good. Some expatriates are good, and some aren't. Frankly, all of the cavilling and complaints about the actors pale into insignificance when faced with the fact that a lot of this stuff really happened, and will happen again somewhere, sometime. If that doesn't get you going, go back to Lord of the Rings or whatever for your thrills.Before I went in (I was dragged in by a girlfriend), I thought it was going to be tedious and obvious - but this movie has an emotional impact that transcends the medium. I found myself on the edge of my seat throughout, and was emotionally exhausted at the end. Nuff said. Expand
  2. EricL.
    Jan 10, 2005
    Best movie of the year does not do it justice. Best movie ever. An Absolute Masterpiece.
  3. NancyM.
    Jan 8, 2005
    This film did what Cabaret did for Nazi Germany....you knew the power of what was happening in the background through the eyes of a few characters...The movie was powerful and I, for one, that I, too, said isn't that awful and went back to dinner as Joachim Phoenix said in the movie. Cheadle deserves the academy award as does the director.
  4. KristenM.
    Jan 9, 2005
    If you only see one movie this year, make it this one. It is 2 hours well spent. It will leave you pondering what we should be doing globally to combat evil. Tell your friends to go see it - it needs to be released wide in order to get a greater audience base.
  5. BitBurn
    Jun 9, 2005
    Watching this movie made me realize how precious our lives are. How insignificant my little financial or emotional problems can be compared to what happened over there. Cheadle is extraordinary. The rest of the plot is fabulous too!
  6. JimB.
    Mar 25, 2007
    One of the greatest movies of all times. Connects with the viewer on a political, moral, romantic, personal, and work ethical level.
  7. Lucy
    Dec 20, 2004
    The best film I have seen all year. A heartbreaking story, phenomenal acting, and powerful music. This film is an intense emotional experience.
  8. ShelleyM.
    Jan 12, 2005
    This movie has changed my life...very few movies have to power to do that.
  9. AmyR
    Jan 22, 2005
    Simple and heartwrenching. Perhaps not the cinematic masterpiece that some movie snobs habitually seek out, but just the right dose of humanity, history and shame to speak to those of us in more fortunate corners of the world.
  10. AnneI.
    Oct 31, 2005
    There is no doubt in my mind that the miracles that were depicted in this movie were from God. It was a very moving and powerful movie.
  11. e.bS.
    Jan 30, 2005
    One of the years best films . a.m.a.z.i.n.g.
  12. Coco
    Jan 5, 2005
    Best Movie I've seen in years. Read the Salon review, which perfectly captures it.
  13. LewisP.
    Jan 7, 2005
    Extraordinarily moving. A modern day Shindler's List. Although we are rocked by the enormity of the tsunami, it is vital to remember that a MILLION people were slaughtered, hacked to death with machetes by their countrymen while the world did absolutely NOTHING to stop it. Horrifying and shameful. We should not need a tidal wave to open our hearts and minds.
  14. JohnY.
    Jan 7, 2005
    The best film of the year -- emotionally powerful with stunning acting from Cheadle.
  15. EleanorM.
    Jan 8, 2005
    Absolutely heartbreaking. You HAVE to see this and tell others. Its crucial.
  16. PaulD.
    Jan 8, 2005
    Best movie Iv'e seen in a long time
  17. M.A.Moran
    Feb 2, 2005
    Don Cheadle is amazing, but Paul Rusesabagina is truly the man! Excellent and powerful film without being preachy or manipulative.
  18. KarenC.
    Feb 3, 2005
    I saw the movie with someone who had spent time in Rwanda and knew the history from it's source. People critical of the portrayal of Rwandans are looking for what they want to see and not what is actual. We were both impressed and moved. The movie was made to tell the true story of a hotel manager and his experience in those awful 90 days of genocide, not the whole story of Rwanda. I saw the movie with someone who had spent time in Rwanda and knew the history from it's source. People critical of the portrayal of Rwandans are looking for what they want to see and not what is actual. We were both impressed and moved. The movie was made to tell the true story of a hotel manager and his experience in those awful 90 days of genocide, not the whole story of Rwanda. This should not be compared to Schindler's list...the stories have similarities, but are not the same. Schindler had years to work out his humanitarian effort...Rusesabagina's situation was thrust on him in a matter of days and grew more harrowing at an alarming speed. Don Cheadle was fabulous and deserves an oscar for his performance. Rusesabagina oversaw the whole making of the movie, so I feel confident that it was true to his memory. Expand
  19. amandal.
    Feb 3, 2005
    Don Cheadle is absolutely wonderful, as is the rest of the cast. Heart-wrenching movie; definitely must-see.
  20. EugeneN.
    Feb 4, 2005
    This movie is about courage. A must see movie.
  21. NirmalK.
    Feb 6, 2005
    I though I will come disapointed knowing the story before going to movie but it is a very thoghy provovative movie. Well made and writen, They conveyed the barbarism without gore - must see.
  22. KaceyG.
    Mar 29, 2005
    The acting in this movie was very well done, as was the whole story.
  23. MikeG
    Jul 9, 2005
    To be honest with you, I don't really care about this film's strengths and weaknesses. The conflict that this movie is portraying is what does it for me; just the image of the soldier saying "No Rwandans" and the reporter's take on what people will say to his footage does it for me. It's so true.
  24. DouglasR.
    Aug 2, 2006
    A truly emotional movie that highlights the disgraceful neglect of atrocities that occur in Africa. For the family featured it was a happy ending unlike for millions of others.
  25. RamzeezeB.
    Feb 24, 2007
    just a great movie. it caputures the reality and is justs an awesome file.
  26. LanaS.
    Mar 5, 2007
    A wonderfully acted, meticulously observed political drama.
  27. EvanO.
    May 30, 2008
    This was a very good movie. I'm only 14 and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The acting by Cheadle was terrific, and most of the plot was done spectacularly. I wasn't too bloody, but was very, very sad. It really is hard to believe that something like this could have happened only 15 years ago.
  28. PatrickS
    Feb 26, 2009
    ONe of the most inspiraional movies I have seen in a long time. It shows that no matter what and in the time of reckoning that one person can come out and change it for a country. Don Cheadle was brilliant and showed courage and teanacity to overcome the Hutu militia.
  29. TaylorB
    Apr 3, 2009
    This movie was insane. I am 14!!! and this movie touched me greatly. It made me think this only happened 14 or 25 years ago. If you put you self in side one of those people who watched there children,mom,dad,brother or sister get chopped up with a knife or beaten to death. What do you think? This movie deserves 10/10!!!
  30. IanR
    Jun 28, 2009
    Whether what others say, this is certainly one of the best dramas out there. My intention to watch this film was really for suspense, but I got more than what I expected. And this film goes to my list as the most moving film I have ever seen.Can't help but cry.
  31. ForettaW
    Jun 13, 2010
    I was 11 when I watched this heartbreaking movie! I can say it made my tear up watching people being killed. I handled it well though because the point in my class was to see what is actually happening in the world of ours. It touched my heart so much! Wouldn't you think I am too young to watch a rated R movie?
  32. DermN.
    Dec 23, 2004
    Absorbing. Don't let the bummer topic keep you away. The story is ultimately upbeat and truly heroic. Don Cheadle carries the film on his shoulders very well.
  33. ChristinaS.
    Jan 11, 2005
    The best movie I've senn in many years. Very powerful and moving.
  34. donaldw
    Jan 13, 2005
    A powerful, gut wrenching, frightening and moving film. Excellent performances by all, including an uncredited Jean Reno.
  35. TomB.
    Jan 15, 2005
    One of the finest movies I have ever watched or better yet, experienced. Cheadle is a 10 on a 5 star scale. An astonishing movie in every way.
  36. NathanF.
    Jan 21, 2005
    I salute Don Cheadle for taking on the least feel-good movie of the year. The tragedy of what happened in Rwanda, and what continues to happen in other forms in other parts of the world, needs to be told -- and watched -- so that perhaps we can lessen or prevent future such horrors. But maybe I'm too optimistic. Regardless, his portrayal of Paul Rusesabagina is a striking portrait of I salute Don Cheadle for taking on the least feel-good movie of the year. The tragedy of what happened in Rwanda, and what continues to happen in other forms in other parts of the world, needs to be told -- and watched -- so that perhaps we can lessen or prevent future such horrors. But maybe I'm too optimistic. Regardless, his portrayal of Paul Rusesabagina is a striking portrait of how one man confronts the barbarity and anarchy around him, and does what he can -- even if it's akin to fighting an inferno with a spritzer bottle -- while struggling to maintain his courage and composure in the midst of hell. Bravo. In similar circumstances, who of us would do better? Expand
  37. JustineL.
    Oct 22, 2005
    Let not the following make same mistake... remember what the history taught us in Hotel Rwanda.
  38. jorgev.
    Jan 22, 2005
    I find it impossible to give this anything less than a 10. yes, it "hollywood-ized" paul's story, but it's still a story the west needs to be told. a 10 for don cheadle's performance alone.
  39. KenG
    Jan 23, 2005
    Reading these readers comments was very interesting. Why do you suppose so many readers gave this movie 0 or 1 star? For the conseratives among them could it be they didn't like that this movie didn't make the United States look good (as the leader of the western world that ignored what was going on) For the liberals among them could it be that they didn't like that this Reading these readers comments was very interesting. Why do you suppose so many readers gave this movie 0 or 1 star? For the conseratives among them could it be they didn't like that this movie didn't make the United States look good (as the leader of the western world that ignored what was going on) For the liberals among them could it be that they didn't like that this movie because it could be taken as daming of Bill Clinton, and also could be used by some to justify (wrongly- I am liberal) Bush's war in Iraq. Grow-up people, this was an excellent movie, and if I am right as to why so many people are giving it such a big thumbs down, it really makes a sorry statement, but it does partially explain how we could have so easily ignored what was going on. Expand
  40. SeanW.
    Jan 24, 2005
    Sadly, this is a film that is not reaching the general populace. I thought the movie touched just the right balance in how much violence to show and withhold. One cannot demonstrate the horror of such an event by trying to show the violence. How could you show a million deaths? What they could do was show the affects on individual lives like the hotel manager or the girl who begged the Sadly, this is a film that is not reaching the general populace. I thought the movie touched just the right balance in how much violence to show and withhold. One cannot demonstrate the horror of such an event by trying to show the violence. How could you show a million deaths? What they could do was show the affects on individual lives like the hotel manager or the girl who begged the Western journalist not to leave her because she'd be taken out and chopped. I even felt for the U.N. soldiers who had been castrated by the politics of their superiors. Hearing the bitter irony behind the comments of the West as they refused to term the situation genocide made me ashamed to be a Westerner. Are we behaving any differently now with the genocide in Darfur? As one of the characters in the film related, we just say that "It's terrible." Then we go back to eating supper. I highly, highly recommend it. Expand
  41. RP
    Jan 27, 2005
    One of my top 10 for 2004. Gripping. Not as good as Schindler's List but close.
  42. riazd
    Jan 30, 2005
    Powerful.
  43. DeniseJ.
    Jan 31, 2005
    This was the most moving movie I have ever seen.
  44. keithw
    Jan 5, 2005
    See this movie at any cost.
  45. MelissaG.
    Jan 8, 2005
    The acting, the richness of each scene -- the density of landscape, houses, different classes of people, bands, faces -- the decency to make a film that tells a terrible and true story -- make the experience of viewing this movie a powerful event. I thought President Clinton got off easy here. I thought the fact that the US refused even to cripple the murderous radio broadcasts should The acting, the richness of each scene -- the density of landscape, houses, different classes of people, bands, faces -- the decency to make a film that tells a terrible and true story -- make the experience of viewing this movie a powerful event. I thought President Clinton got off easy here. I thought the fact that the US refused even to cripple the murderous radio broadcasts should have been included. Finally, I thought more of the perspective & story of the UN chief, Lt. Gen. Roméo Dallaire, would have deepened the story. Cheadle is phenomenal; the children are darling & fine actors. Expand
  46. BrianB
    Feb 1, 2005
    A powerful, important, and well-crafted film. Extremely moving. Would rate a 10 if not for Nick Nolte. See this despite him (it's a minor role anyway). The rest of the cast is very convincing, and portray very real emotions. A movie that stays with you long after you see it. And the soundtrack is wonderful too.
  47. MichalF.
    Feb 2, 2005
    My only concern about this remarkable movie is the sound track. I found there were a number of times that I could not hear what was being said,mostly because the musical and noixse background overwhelmed the speaker.
  48. SusanM.
    Feb 22, 2005
    Excellent movie, very inspirational, very moving. Anyone who gives it a 5/10 because it doesn't portray the violence graphically enough should maybe choose another movie genre, like horror! The story is about one man's courage in times of despair, one family's love when surrounded by hatred, not a gore-fest. I would highly recommend this movie.
  49. MichaelL.
    Feb 24, 2005
    Best movie!
  50. KatieF.
    Feb 27, 2005
    Excellent - a must see movie! It was so powerful that the theater was completely silent as everyone left.
  51. DianaR.
    Feb 8, 2005
    This is definetly an eye opener. I would recommend that everyone see this, I had no idea these atrocities were occuring. Also, as a side note, I imagine the user rating would be higher (around a 9) if someone didn't have a personal vendeta against the movie (which explains why they rated the movie with O's many many times in a row.....)
  52. debbiel.
    Feb 9, 2005
    The movie was a moving experience; it is a tribute to the humanity of one man who stepped up for all of us.
  53. GerronK.
    Mar 30, 2005
    This film is an important one. I don't recall the 1994 Genocide in Rwanda, but this film opened it up for me. By focusing on only several characters, director Terry George personified the horror in Rwanda. This is a magnificently powerful film, with a beautiful score and a wonderful song by Wyclef Jean. I recommend it fully!
    Apr 13, 2005
    A story that I was not aware of, brought my attention to the horrible atrositites that happened in 1994. I want to help in any way I can to prevent this from ever happenign. I'm ashamed we did nothing to help these people
  55. Crystal
    Apr 20, 2005
    Within the first 30 minutes of watching this movie I was in tears. Out of all of the movies i have ever seen about any war, this one hit hardest. We as americans tend to get comfortable where we are and forget about the rest of the world its problems. Everyone needs to see this movie to wake them up.
  56. heihei
    Apr 23, 2005
    How many innocent people more have to die on our watch ?????
  57. FinnR>
    May 12, 2005
    This movie is so brilliant and powerful. I think this movie will make viewers want to do something and take action where it is needed, locally or globally. And right now something needs to be done about Dafur in Sudan. It makes the viewers question, "Where were we about eleven years ago and why didn't we help?" and
  58. DedeB.
    May 19, 2005
    Wow. This movie is simply amazing. Don Cheadle delivers one of the most amazing performances ive seen in years. In scope its all within believablitiy and it had quite a few gut-wrenching moments that will go down in cinematic history. You must watch this movie. Its a great history lesson on why not to be apathetic and when you do what happens to people.
  59. nottias.
    May 19, 2005
    This movie will truly move you. It warns you that war and other problems still exists in the world. This open your eyes. I think every school should allow their students to watch this movie. Maybe the movie will teach young people how to reach out in help others even when their in the need of some help. Simply teaches them how to be brave but relaxed at the same time. In the movie Paul This movie will truly move you. It warns you that war and other problems still exists in the world. This open your eyes. I think every school should allow their students to watch this movie. Maybe the movie will teach young people how to reach out in help others even when their in the need of some help. Simply teaches them how to be brave but relaxed at the same time. In the movie Paul used all of his sources anything that came to his mind. Expand
  60. StacyD
    May 3, 2005
    Wonderful!!!!
  61. TFrayling
    May 8, 2005
    An excellent movie perfectly portraying the astounding events that happened in Rwanda. A must watch film.
  62. ZanderS.
    Jun 4, 2005
    This was a very good movie, it was scary is was sad it was happy. this movie shows us what really goes on in the world that we decided to turn our backs on.
  63. AlyE.
    Jun 7, 2005
    Excellent!!! Best movie I've seen in ages! No offense to Jamie Foxx, but Don Cheadle was robbed of the Oscar.
  64. raVen
    Jul 9, 2005
    (9.5) A frank photograph of the human lottery, as it stacks the odds according to race. I must agree: this was Cheadle's Oscar.
  65. BrianG.
    Aug 8, 2005
    I absolutely loved this movie. It was a deeply inspiring film, to see how much one man sacrificed to help his family and innocent people which were from the opposing side. Best movie in a long long time.
  66. SkylerP.
    Oct 13, 2006
    Brilliant film!
  67. AbbyG.
    Dec 23, 2006
    Our generation's parallel to the Holoacaust. This film will stay with you always.
  68. DonavinR.
    Dec 20, 2006
    A truly powerful film, with SUPERB acting. Why was this film looked over for a Best Picture nomination?
  69. ShaniceT.
    Jun 12, 2006
    This is one of the best films of the new millennium. Don Cheadle and Sophie Okonedo deserved to win the Oscars that they were nominated for! Their acting was breathtaking, and their chemistry was magical.
  70. VinceT.
    Jun 19, 2006
    A deeply moving film with great performances all around. Don Cheadle and Sophie Okonedo were outstanding.
  71. KennedyB.
    Jun 19, 2006
    One of the best films of the 21st century. I could not believe Hotel Rwanda was not nominated for Best Picture, it absolutely deserved it. Don Cheadle was great as usual, but Sophie Okonedo's performance really shocked me. This woman is amazing!
  72. Sophie
    Jun 29, 2006
    5 stars. Finaly a good story without a typical black character (drug dealer, assassin, and other stuff).Many people could say that is awfull but they only say that because they never experienced a situation like that.I have 2 say that even if the movie was the crap that are saying, i would give the same 5 stars to the director for having the courage to expose this horrible matter.
  73. TenilleW.
    Jan 1, 2007
    Unfortunatley Mr. Hall does not know that the truth of that horrific event was exactly how it happened. 1 million people died in that tragic event. If those people were able to govern themselves do you honestly think that this horrible event would have been taking place. People like this are exactly what this movie referred to. Unfortunately, these people will never see the truth for what Unfortunatley Mr. Hall does not know that the truth of that horrific event was exactly how it happened. 1 million people died in that tragic event. If those people were able to govern themselves do you honestly think that this horrible event would have been taking place. People like this are exactly what this movie referred to. Unfortunately, these people will never see the truth for what it is. Amazing movie, amazing acting, amazing voice to the million people who lost their lives. Thank you. Expand
  74. nate
    May 4, 2009
    Great film. Don was spectacular in his role. many emotions.
  75. PetreA.
    Dec 22, 2004
    No Comment........ the movie speaks for itself
  76. LawrenceP.
    Dec 26, 2004
    Don Cheadle finally gets a leading role. One of the best movies of the year.
  77. heatherb
    Jan 14, 2005
    This movie will tear at your heart and sense of humanity. it is an extraordinary tale of the experiences of the people of rwanda during an undescribable time. the portrayls are amazing and the visions of this film stay with you. this is a movie you must see and must tell others to see. it is important that we all see what we as people can do to one another, especially since the same thing This movie will tear at your heart and sense of humanity. it is an extraordinary tale of the experiences of the people of rwanda during an undescribable time. the portrayls are amazing and the visions of this film stay with you. this is a movie you must see and must tell others to see. it is important that we all see what we as people can do to one another, especially since the same thing is happening now in the sudan. Expand
  78. Shauna
    Jan 14, 2005
    An incredible movie. one of the top five on my all-time list, certainly the best of the year.
  79. Valentina
    Jan 16, 2005
    I am not usually moved by films that are suppose to make me cry, but this is the exception. I can't see a single flaw in this masterpiece of a movie.
  80. JadaG.
    Jan 18, 2005
    It was like a Roots experience of living the lives of the Tusi's and Hutu.
  81. OmarY.
    Jan 21, 2005
    If you're going to spam this site with fake reviews, at least make it look believable. Seek help, this movie was fantastic.
  82. SamD.
    Dec 10, 2005
    Beautifully acted, and portrayed. What people and critics must understand is that Rusesabagina was not a saint and that the Hutu population were not all evil and corrupt. Imagine having to choose, as a Hutu, whether to kill your neighbors and their children, or have yourself and your children be killed. That is what many of the nay-saying critics below do not understand. In that genocide Beautifully acted, and portrayed. What people and critics must understand is that Rusesabagina was not a saint and that the Hutu population were not all evil and corrupt. Imagine having to choose, as a Hutu, whether to kill your neighbors and their children, or have yourself and your children be killed. That is what many of the nay-saying critics below do not understand. In that genocide there were three types of people; the Hutu extremists, the Tuitsi victims and the moderate Hutus. The extremists killed the other to groups bcause both were a threat to their goal: To wipe out the entire Tutsi population. At the end of thd movie, when the Tutsi "rebels" are shooting at the Hutus who are evacuating the country, it is also important to understand two more things; One, the group of Hutus running away is made up of mostly innocent Hutus but the Tutsi "Rebel" Army neither knows this or have the time to figure it out. Two, most of the "rebels" have lost family and friends to these people and therefore are pursuing reckless revenge, hence the "not caring" part. Truefully, this movie did not show ENOUGH bloodshed so it came off a little weak and civilized as to what it was: A barbaric GENOCIDE. Expand
  83. TracyR
    Jan 22, 2005
    Fabulous. People who gave it a zero have holes in their heads. Cheadle deserves the Academy Award.
  84. jimb.
    Jan 23, 2005
    People are...retarded? I can understand criticism about the movie in terms of diluting it's impact and that outside of the story itself, the movie doesn't do anything that unique. But the story carries the movie itself, and while it pulled several punches, the events that the story recounts are true. I'm not familiar with the character's story specifically, but the People are...retarded? I can understand criticism about the movie in terms of diluting it's impact and that outside of the story itself, the movie doesn't do anything that unique. But the story carries the movie itself, and while it pulled several punches, the events that the story recounts are true. I'm not familiar with the character's story specifically, but the film effectively outlines everything that caused the genocide, that it wasn't some ancient tribal conflict as portrayed by the media, making it seem that it was inevitable, but the cause of a very specific set of contemporary circumstances. That Hutus and Tutsis didn't even exist until Beligans colonized the area in the 1800's is 100 percent true, as is the fact that the UN and US dragged their feet for very politically motivated reasons. France really was selling weapons to the Hutu militia, the radio station that everyone listened to really existed, and the US was afraid to call the situation genocide to aviod another Somalia. It had nothing with any real difference between the two groups, but this manufactured class which the modern world had a hand in creating. That's the moral of the story I think, that the world all had a part in perpetrating the violence, both directly and through intenional inaction, even though we like to think of a conflict born exclusively from that region. The movie could have been much more devastating, in terms of depicting the violence and horror that happened, I have nothing against criticizing the movie itself, but to claim that these events never happened is a lie. Phil Hall is a PC wussy, things were easily that barbaric, and much more so, since the film has a tame pg-13 rating,, that's how an entire population was able to slaughter nearly an million people WITH MACHETES. If there wasn't such hysteria and brutality going on, the genocide wouldn't have happened. Objectively, the movies probably a 7 just on how it looks and all that, but the story it tells is one of the most important of our time, and it does a good job of staying out of the way and letting the events speak for themselves. Expand
  85. RyanL.
    Jan 26, 2005
    Compelling story of the abhorent nature of humanity to both hurt and turn a blind eye, while at the same time shows the power of the human spirit to overcome under unimaginable circumstances. Cheadle and Nolte performances are chillingly realistic set against the backdrop of true events allows this film to excel where others fail.
  86. judyT.
    Jan 26, 2005
    Excellent movie. I couldn't stop crying. You can only see it once is you have a heart and a soul. We should learn a lesson, but we won't.
  87. SJAnderson
    Jan 26, 2005
    Magnificent. This was one of the best movies I have seen all year. The story is moving and Don Cheadle gives the performance of a lifetime. Hotel Rwanda is a must see.
  88. AbbyC.
    Jan 29, 2005
    The most powerful movie I have ever seen. You need a moment afterwards to digest what you saw.
  89. CeciS.
    Jan 31, 2005
    Certainly the best picture of the year (for those who live in the real world and not in a delusional fantasy-land (either political or just plain lazyland-- I'm not sure where Mr. 0-1 and his friends are from, but I fear the former...) A tight, tense storyline, pitch-perfect performances (great actors who knew that this one was a classic, for the ages) and (obviously) a hero whose Certainly the best picture of the year (for those who live in the real world and not in a delusional fantasy-land (either political or just plain lazyland-- I'm not sure where Mr. 0-1 and his friends are from, but I fear the former...) A tight, tense storyline, pitch-perfect performances (great actors who knew that this one was a classic, for the ages) and (obviously) a hero whose real life story was sometimes even more unbelievable than the film condensation. The film-makers were quite brilliant in their treatment of the genocide, as it allowed some of those who would never go to a documentary-version to see this film...and it also allowed children to see it-- a very important factor. Cheadle is simply amazing, but there really was not a weak spot in the cast. Of course, he had to be, to play Paul R-- now there is a lesson to all. Expand
  90. Katy
    Feb 12, 2005
    An authentic telling of an important story. The screenplay was amazing because of how accurately it modeled normal, everyday discourse, rather than making all the characters a little more witty or florid or metaphorical than we are in real life. Terry George boldly chose to be a storyteller rather than a filmmaker here. No pride, no ego.
  91. G.M.D.K.
    Apr 14, 2005
    Powerful!Stunning! One of my favorite films of hope,strenght,and survival.
  92. MichelleR.
    Apr 15, 2005
    I had chosen this movie for my presentation and when i went to watch it, I was totally astounded at what had happened in rwanda... The beauty of the movie lies in the acting and the contents of this film. Cheadle certainly potrays the quest for freedom and survival marvellously.
  93. sveta
    Apr 19, 2005
    A lot of Hollywod movies are crap. Bad script, bad actos, bad everything. This movie is magnificent. I find it hard to belive it was produce by Hollywood. Hollywod is driven by greed AND WILL NOT TAKE RISKS . If more people attenedd or rented or bought the DVD for this movie we would get better quality movies made insstead of the contatnt dribble that is constantly churned out as rubbish A lot of Hollywod movies are crap. Bad script, bad actos, bad everything. This movie is magnificent. I find it hard to belive it was produce by Hollywood. Hollywod is driven by greed AND WILL NOT TAKE RISKS . If more people attenedd or rented or bought the DVD for this movie we would get better quality movies made insstead of the contatnt dribble that is constantly churned out as rubbish that is delivered on a regular basis. Expand
  94. armandos.
    Apr 28, 2005
    Don Cheadle gave a magnificent performance. The movie held back on the graphic violence, which is a good thing-so that more people will be exposed to the situation in Africa. According to Jared Diamond, the overpopulation and enviromental destruction of the land is as much to blame for the genocide as any ethnic hatred. Besides, the differences between the two groups is superficial, and Don Cheadle gave a magnificent performance. The movie held back on the graphic violence, which is a good thing-so that more people will be exposed to the situation in Africa. According to Jared Diamond, the overpopulation and enviromental destruction of the land is as much to blame for the genocide as any ethnic hatred. Besides, the differences between the two groups is superficial, and there was much intermarriage going on. A great movie. Expand
  95. K.R.
    May 12, 2005
    This movie was amazing, i felt like i was going to impload or expload or somthing. Ive seen a couple movies that have touched me like this one. Paul is one man who saved over 1000 lives risking everything that he had and loved int he world. It shows whats going on every day across the world, even now im somolia and sudan. Im sure there hundreds of other place sthat arent even publicised This movie was amazing, i felt like i was going to impload or expload or somthing. Ive seen a couple movies that have touched me like this one. Paul is one man who saved over 1000 lives risking everything that he had and loved int he world. It shows whats going on every day across the world, even now im somolia and sudan. Im sure there hundreds of other place sthat arent even publicised by the media. I dont think ive ever rated a movie befor but i want people to see this movie and know that its based on a true story. Expand
  96. lorrainet.
    Jul 24, 2005
    A very touching film. One which makes me ashamed to be a westerner. Why didn't we do more to stop the awful violence? How can people hate other people so much. How can people look others in the eyes - even children - and just kill them? I will never understand this. Paul was such a brave and amazing man. Thank you Paul for saving all those people with your bravery and cleverness. God A very touching film. One which makes me ashamed to be a westerner. Why didn't we do more to stop the awful violence? How can people hate other people so much. How can people look others in the eyes - even children - and just kill them? I will never understand this. Paul was such a brave and amazing man. Thank you Paul for saving all those people with your bravery and cleverness. God Bless you. Expand
  97. GarethC.
    Aug 28, 2005
    Wow! This movie was outstanding. How did Don Cheadle not win the Oscar for his performance. A deeply moving film with an inspirational performance. You MUST watch this movie.
  98. NoahS
    Oct 13, 2006
    An oustanding film that deserved it's acclaim.
  99. AstelleW.
    Dec 19, 2006
    Stunnning and compassionate film!
  100. ArumA.
    Jan 14, 2007
    what a moving inspiring movie.

1. Reviewed by: Phil Hall
    The film presents the Rwandans in the worst possible way: venal, corrupt, vicious, stupid, barbaric and completely incapable of governing themselves. Honestly, I've seen more intelligent and sympathetic depictions of Africans in Tarzan movies.
  2. Cheadle impressively carries the entire picture, delivering the kind of note-perfect performance that's absolutely deserving of Oscar consideration.
    Hotel Rwanda, based on real lives and events, aims unequivocally to break your heart.