6.0

1. Nov 2, 2014
    House of 88 Wasted Minutes

House of 88 Wasted Minutes

This movie just bored me mostly because there was absolutely no story. I also hated how it felt like a TV show. The shots were framed much like a sitcom's, and I didn't like the random shots of torture and sex in between scenes. The cinematography was very aggravating as well. The random mirrored, negative, and inverted shots distracted and annoyed me. It made this movie feel like a music video (wonder why). Dr. Satan was also very forced. He didn't come into the movie until the last 10 minutes. If they would have explained the connections between the Firefly family, Captain Spaulding, and Dr. Satan, it would have made a bit more sense. Speaking of which, the best part of House of 1000 Corpses was Captain Spaulding. He was a very likable character, and he inserted some much-needed comic relief into the film. I just wish that he had more screen time. I have no clue how anyone could like this movie. To me, it was scene after scene of bizarre imagery and torture.
  2. Jan 15, 2014
    The message here is quite simple: You either get this film or you don't.

If you read the reviews with low scores, it becomes very apparent who is leaving them.
  3. Feb 24, 2013
    I have one word to describe this movie AWFUL! It doesn't even compare to it's sequel, The Devil's Rejects. This is just a weird, drugged out, gore fest, that makes absolutely no sense. It's not even funny, It's a complete waste of time. Even Rob Zombie's sister was said to have walked out of the screening in disgust, saying, "what the F is wrong with you!?"
  4. Jan 1, 2013
    It's scary, suspensful, funny, and features a ton of great characters that will haunt your dreams. Rob Zombie has created something special with this movie. I loved it.
  5. Jul 29, 2012
    I went through the annoying process of registering with metacritic just to discourage you from watching this movie.

Pros: the captain clown character, the first scene, general weirdness
    Cons: bad, bad soundtrack, annoying cut scenes
  6. Jan 16, 2012
    Rob Zombie gives us a cult classic horror film that we all have been craving for quite some times. I remember first seeing this film and being terrified by the Firefly family. I would highly recommend.
  7. Sep 3, 2011
    This Movie Was Pretty Good it was Bloody Insane Strange And Chilling it has all the good element of a Decent Horror Film It is alot better then Ridculas Horror Films Like Final Destination House of The Dead and So On
  8. Sep 1, 2010
    Rob Zombie's take on 1970's B-Movies.
    Full of weird and wonderful characters especially Sid Haig as the almost iconic Captain Spaulding.
    The acting is pretty bad throughout (I assume this was to get the B-Movie feel in parts) & it gets a bit silly at the end. A mention for the great use of Slim Whitman's "I remember you" in quite a morose scene as well. Not as good as Robert Rodriguez's
    Rob Zombie's take on 1970's B-Movies.
    Not as good as Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror which is in the same genre & done a lot better.

Shock-rocker Rob Zombie's loving homage to flat-out nasty horror films of the 1970s will leave many post-"Scream" (1996) horror fans cold because of what it's not. It's not slick or glossy. It's not funny or self-referential.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    Zombie's film plays more like an experimental pastiche than an outright homage to those classic road-trip-gone-wrong movies.
    Kicks off as a cheap piece of retro schlock and quickly devolves into a putrid bloodbath with a thin narrative made utterly indecipherable by the first-time director's clueless approach to filmmaking.