Sony Pictures Classics | Release Date: December 3, 2004
9.2
Universal acclaim based on 410 Ratings
Watch Now
PhillipR.Jul 29, 2008
I am not a film buff and don't normally have much time for watching films, but this one just grabbed me and kept me enthralled. The twists and turns of the story are mesmerizing and the beauty of Mei is captivating. The depiction of the I am not a film buff and don't normally have much time for watching films, but this one just grabbed me and kept me enthralled. The twists and turns of the story are mesmerizing and the beauty of Mei is captivating. The depiction of the Martial Art fighting leaves you in awe, even if a little unbelievable. The closing scenes of fighting and death leave you emotionally drained. Fantastic Expand
2 of 2 users found this helpful
TylerDurden900Jul 9, 2014
House Of Flying Daggers is a gorgeous action movie with sumptuous cinematography and sublime
action sequences. The movie is one of the best martial arts movies made recently. If you don't like the
story, there is always the brilliant action
story, there is always the brilliant action to entertain you.
bobbsywAug 12, 2012
The final fight scene appeared a bit poorly cut-together and took the sheen off an otherwise excellent film. The visuals were truly astounding, and the "echo game" scene must be one of the most amazing pieces of choreography ever filmed.
JaceANov 14, 2008
It has beautiful imagery and stunning scenes.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
oxanaSep 12, 2014
It's been a while since I last watched an Asian movie, so that could be affecting my judgment: still film felt a bit weird, and I don't know why.

Essentially this was a story of love, betrayal, and making choices. Choosing your path, even if it won't lead to lasting happiness. To be a carefree wind - or a playful, teasing wind. To stop for someone, or to go on.

This movie had fighting scenes just as expected, but while beautiful and artistic, they felt a bit hollow, and were at times hard to keep up with.

Altogether the story was easy to follow, the characters intriguing and deep. Seeing Takeshi Kaneshiro and Zhang Ziyi together in a same movie was awesome, and Andy Lau wasn't bad either.

The heavy stuff started only near the end, with the fateful, slightly drawn-out battle of two men who once were friends, but falling for the same woman (among other things) drives them against each other.

A good story, beautiful clothes, colors and design, but somehow this left me wanting for more. Maybe I will watch this another time again and be more at ease with it.
PatC.May 4, 2006
The film starts as a political confrontation between government and rebel interests, but no one is who they seem, and through many plot twists the story converts into a romantic confrontation between love and freedom interests. A Mata Hari The film starts as a political confrontation between government and rebel interests, but no one is who they seem, and through many plot twists the story converts into a romantic confrontation between love and freedom interests. A Mata Hari kind of thing. But unlike a Hollywood romance, the characters all realize they are expendable, that no one cares whether they live or die. In the confines of this oriental mindset they find a way to make their obscurity empowering, which is interesting though perhaps not memorable. The martial arts action is precise but reeks of improbability. The most remarkable thing by far in this project is its attention to the art of the photoplay. Every scene is lush in color and light and finely crafted with the meticulousness of an impressionistic painting. As a feast of visual splendor for those with an eye for art, this is a wonderful movie. Expand
sammyJan 8, 2006
A beautiful film, one of the best martial arts films I've seen.
sOct 22, 2005
Just remarkable... The action and romance were pefectly balanced and like all Chinese movies, it ended in tragedy and kept you thinking. Cool action, great storyline, a movie to rival Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
JeffRobinsonFeb 10, 2005
I loved this movie the twist the humor about julia robers i dont know why somone would not like this movie the stealing the cheating its great its a 100 movie in my book, 2 thumbs up. It had me thinking throught the whole thing i lovedI loved this movie the twist the humor about julia robers i dont know why somone would not like this movie the stealing the cheating its great its a 100 movie in my book, 2 thumbs up. It had me thinking throught the whole thing i loved Oceans Twelve Expand
joseo.Sep 27, 2005
Astonishing.
GnarlesFeb 12, 2006
The first 90 minutes or so are simply great, but the climax eventually becomes almost unbearably silly - and the alarmingly fake CGI snowstorm doesn't help. Until that point, though, this is a beautiful and satisfyingly passionate The first 90 minutes or so are simply great, but the climax eventually becomes almost unbearably silly - and the alarmingly fake CGI snowstorm doesn't help. Until that point, though, this is a beautiful and satisfyingly passionate movie, with some of the best fight scenes ever shot (especially the bamboo forest). Recommended, but don't be surprised if you find yourself laughing at the end. Expand
ReikonAug 12, 2006
Best of his genre.
theop.Oct 4, 2005
A really good martial arts film that doesn't revolve around martial arts. flying daggers is the best film of it's genre since Crouching tiger, hidden dragon (hero came close). Though it is really a soap opera like love story with A really good martial arts film that doesn't revolve around martial arts. flying daggers is the best film of it's genre since Crouching tiger, hidden dragon (hero came close). Though it is really a soap opera like love story with fighting sequences, it has great acting. Expand
DeniseG.Sep 30, 2007
a beautiful film with jaw dropping action & achingly tender love scenes. The scenery is stunning.
KastusLJul 26, 2008
Poetic in every scene, in every touche, in every voice. Unbelievably how Zhang can create this? Like picture of Rembrandt in movie.
VidM.Nov 10, 2005
Solid. Not worth seeing a second time though. In the same vein as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Hero. A couple good fight scenes, nothing awesome enough to warrant any more detail than that. The love story is predictable and falls kinda flat.
GazFeb 28, 2006
Simply beautiful. A love story that breaks the stereotypical dimensions of the mainstream Western cinema, and in doing so, expresses that romance on a far greater and physical level. Far better than other easily predictable romances, it Simply beautiful. A love story that breaks the stereotypical dimensions of the mainstream Western cinema, and in doing so, expresses that romance on a far greater and physical level. Far better than other easily predictable romances, it thereby deserves a higher mark. Expand
JBAug 11, 2006
It's a good story with great acting, that actually does the reverse of what most stories do: it starts out on a grand scale (rebels vs. government) and then focuses inward on a smaller scale (character devotions vs. personal It's a good story with great acting, that actually does the reverse of what most stories do: it starts out on a grand scale (rebels vs. government) and then focuses inward on a smaller scale (character devotions vs. personal responsibility). Luckily for us, HoFD is one of very few films that does this well. I would rate this higher than Hero. Expand
imthenoobMar 18, 2012
I really liked it but the only problems I had with the film is that it failed to show what happend to the rebel group (House of the Flying Daggers) and the action scenes could have been better. Still a solid film though, Definently worth the watch.
EpicLadySpongeMay 3, 2016
Makes China look like a magnificent place to visit and also makes China look like a memory for everyone who's been there or lives there no matter what, in any coincidence, were you forced to be there for any reason.
BroyaxAug 6, 2017
On passera vite fait sur la propagande mao-communiste des films chinois en costumes (de tuniques et de sabres si j'ose dire) dont est coutumier le cinéma de l'Empire du Milieu depuis les années 2000 (l'Empereur s'en sort toujours face auxOn passera vite fait sur la propagande mao-communiste des films chinois en costumes (de tuniques et de sabres si j'ose dire) dont est coutumier le cinéma de l'Empire du Milieu depuis les années 2000 (l'Empereur s'en sort toujours face aux tentatives de rébellion-sédition-révolte de n'importe quel groupe armé ou ensemble d'individus pas contents, gloire à notre Chine unie et réunie, les conspirateurs seront taillés en pièces etc, etc).

On passe donc là-dessus, car c'est moins évident que dans Hero, moins voyant même si -est-ce un hasard- le film n'a pas la même puissance esthétique que Hero, lequel avait sans nul doute placé la barre très haut en matière de bon goût et d'élégance.

Les Poignards Volants n'en reste pas moins un "beau" film à la photographie soignée et à la présentation raffinée. Les combats sont à cet égard très stylés et très stylisés, quitte à se laisser aller à une certaine préciosité, y compris dans les dialogues et nombre de situations mélodramatiques dont n'aurait pas honte toute la bibliothèque Harlequin réunie.

Cela en devient presque risible, notamment lors du long dénouement au cours duquel les masques tombent et les sentiments se déversent, toutes vannes ouvertes, au fil de quelques rebondissements pas piqués des hannetons.

A dire vrai et contre toute attente, on devrait être soûlé par tant de guimauve et de naïveté noyées dans tant de grandiloquence mais les acteurs, ce trio admirable Lau-Kaneshiro-Ziyi, parvient à tenir l'ensemble contre vents et marées. En outre, contrairement à un Tigre et Dragon (par exemple) le film sait garder le vent en poupe, même lors de sa grande fin... délirante (qui a dit satirique ? -à l'insu de son ignorance bien sûr).

En bref, on y croit à moitié mais on passe un bon moment raffiné et précieux dont on ne se lasse toujours pas après 3 visionnages déjà !