8.3

1. JaneM.
    Jan 18, 2005
    A dazzling fairy tale, mesmerizing in its cinematic beauty (what color schemes) and the choreographed fight scenes. The allegorical tale of star-crossed lovers (all three) in the throes of passion and history. Truly superior to CTHD and Hero. The acting was superb. The music haunting especially with Kathleen Battle's exquisite soprano voice. The surreal quality makes this film a A dazzling fairy tale, mesmerizing in its cinematic beauty (what color schemes) and the choreographed fight scenes. The allegorical tale of star-crossed lovers (all three) in the throes of passion and history. Truly superior to CTHD and Hero. The acting was superb. The music haunting especially with Kathleen Battle's exquisite soprano voice. The surreal quality makes this film a fairy tale, not t be interpreted in the literal sense (it is not making sense) but working to satisfy our spiritual limbic drives for love and ultimately survival, so intertwined - emotions and passions do help us in our quest for life and immortality. Expand
  2. harrym.
    Apr 10, 2005
    The next best movie after Jet Lee and Jackie Chan's masterpieces. Bravo!
  3. salvMQ
    May 3, 2005
    Very good film. Lot of moaners out there with warped opinions giving it 3s and 1s, don't listen to them
  4. sammy
    Jan 8, 2006
    A beautiful film, one of the best martial arts films I've seen.
  5. thin
    Jan 15, 2005
    Best movie of 2004 (& 2005 so far), even surpasses Hero. Ravishingly beautiful, with an exceptional cast and unparalleled action, this is the kind of movie the cinema was invented for.
  6. s
    Oct 22, 2005
    Just remarkable... The action and romance were pefectly balanced and like all Chinese movies, it ended in tragedy and kept you thinking. Cool action, great storyline, a movie to rival Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
  7. smit
    Jan 9, 2005
    One of the best martial art movie ever!
  8. JeffRobinson
    Feb 10, 2005
    I loved this movie the twist the humor about julia robers i dont know why somone would not like this movie the stealing the cheating its great its a 100 movie in my book, 2 thumbs up. It had me thinking throught the whole thing i loved Oceans Twelve
  9. JordanA.
    Feb 6, 2005
    A classic that might be Ziyi's best work at the end of her career. She is delicious and strong. Jin and Leo put in good performances in support of Mei. Yimou's got a slightly more dynamic story to work with than some of the previous archetypal stories like Ju Dou. This is more along the lines of 859AD American Graffitti meets a Chinese James Bond the way you would want it to be. A classic that might be Ziyi's best work at the end of her career. She is delicious and strong. Jin and Leo put in good performances in support of Mei. Yimou's got a slightly more dynamic story to work with than some of the previous archetypal stories like Ju Dou. This is more along the lines of 859AD American Graffitti meets a Chinese James Bond the way you would want it to be. With the Bond girl in the lead while Bond and the Anti-Hero nearly kill each other and lose the plot over her. Expand
  10. joseo.
    Sep 27, 2005
    Astonishing.
  11. Reikon
    Aug 12, 2006
    Best of his genre.
  12. JaceA
    Nov 14, 2008
    It has beautiful imagery and stunning scenes.
  13. BobbyL.
    Dec 3, 2004
    breathtaking
  14. HouseH.
    Dec 5, 2004
    Nearly perfect.
  15. TimW.
    Dec 7, 2004
    Perhaps this film will obtain an award from Academy Award.
  16. BryanJ
    Jan 7, 2005
    For those who only want to see Kungfu movie, please go rent any of Jackie Chan's movie. This movie has so much more to offer than a kungfu flick so please don't insult Zhang YiMou for his amazing style of story telling. While watching the movie, I found myself totally with the beauty of cinematography, the haunting music score, and the touching love story. When Jin dropped his For those who only want to see Kungfu movie, please go rent any of Jackie Chan's movie. This movie has so much more to offer than a kungfu flick so please don't insult Zhang YiMou for his amazing style of story telling. While watching the movie, I found myself totally with the beauty of cinematography, the haunting music score, and the touching love story. When Jin dropped his sword at the end for Mei, it marks one of the most touching moment in cinema history. Expand
  17. GlennK
    Jan 7, 2005
    A brillant movie, better than Hero.
  18. RashidCarlosJamilMarcanoR.
    Mar 12, 2005
    ¡INCREÃ
  19. OatmealBlizzard
    May 17, 2005
    A wonderful film. Beautifully filmed, exquisitely acted. An epic of love, passion, and heartbreak; full of gravity-defying ass-kicking action that builds to a gut-wrenchingly beautiful climax. Highly recommended. My second favorite movie of last year behing Eternal Sunshine.
  20. Day
    May 7, 2005
    This movie was wonderful. This movie kicked crouching tiger hidden dragon, and hero's butt. Takeshi Kaneshiro is very cute. This is the best ive seen Zhang Ziyi act ever. Great movie. Keep it coming.
  21. DeniseG.
    Sep 30, 2007
    a beautiful film with jaw dropping action & achingly tender love scenes. The scenery is stunning.
  22. KastusL
    Jul 26, 2008
    Poetic in every scene, in every touche, in every voice. Unbelievably how Zhang can create this? Like picture of Rembrandt in movie.
  23. AndyT.
    Dec 12, 2004
    One word: Phenomenon.
  24. Bifidus
    Jan 12, 2005
    Just wonderful!
  25. JadaG.
    Jan 18, 2005
    True Kung Fu fans who love the old Chinese movies with the story will love this film. If you like the Americanized kung fu flicks, you will like the fight scenes. Visually, beautiful.
  26. PhillipR.
    Jul 29, 2008
    I am not a film buff and don't normally have much time for watching films, but this one just grabbed me and kept me enthralled. The twists and turns of the story are mesmerizing and the beauty of Mei is captivating. The depiction of the Martial Art fighting leaves you in awe, even if a little unbelievable. The closing scenes of fighting and death leave you emotionally drained. Fantastic
  27. Kevin
    Dec 19, 2004
    I love it when Chinese "critics" rating this movie. They would say that they have seen all the kung fu flicks becasue they are from asian and that everything has already been done. I do agree that it has many similarities.. and they might not have the true "kung fighting" compare to the old-school flicks. For me, I like to rate one movie at a time. I dont go into a movie categorizing it I love it when Chinese "critics" rating this movie. They would say that they have seen all the kung fu flicks becasue they are from asian and that everything has already been done. I do agree that it has many similarities.. and they might not have the true "kung fighting" compare to the old-school flicks. For me, I like to rate one movie at a time. I dont go into a movie categorizing it to the "asian market" before even watching it. Just cuz the Western market hasn't been exposed to it as much as those 'critics' have, but I feel like they can still learn to appreciate the artistic and emotional perception that were created through these files. So... for future reference, please dont use your "I-am-from-asia-so-I-know-more" type of crap cuz that's just plain bull. Expand
  28. Jul 9, 2014
    House Of Flying Daggers is a gorgeous action movie with sumptuous cinematography and sublime
    action sequences. The movie is one of the best martial arts movies made recently. If you don't like the
    story, there is always the brilliant action to entertain you.
  29. TonyL.
    Feb 6, 2005
    The kungfu sequences are amongst the greatest even in hong kong standard. Using a love story to reflects Zhang's love-hate relationship with China is not new but still interesting. A little hard for non-chinese to get the message though. Lousy subtitle translation spoiled some of the hidden meanings, too.
  30. Ursula
    Jan 7, 2005
    It may not have been as visually breathtaking as "Hero" and its characters may not all have been as charismatic as in "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", but as a whole it was stunningly beautiful. Some may call scenes where you only see Jin sitting on his horse thinking of what to do boring - I loved the slow parts between the exciting fight scenes!
  31. Chris
    Jan 9, 2005
    This movie is so beautiful, I found myself really wanting to love it. And, it really comes close to attaining sublime perfection. But, the overwrought melodrama at the end keeps this movie from being a hands-down '10'. It's frustrating to watch a movie come so close only to fall just short with a few ill-advised scenes. In spite of it's weaknesses, this movie is still This movie is so beautiful, I found myself really wanting to love it. And, it really comes close to attaining sublime perfection. But, the overwrought melodrama at the end keeps this movie from being a hands-down '10'. It's frustrating to watch a movie come so close only to fall just short with a few ill-advised scenes. In spite of it's weaknesses, this movie is still a must see in the theater because the sheer beauty of it will take your breath away. Expand
  32. TuN.
    Mar 1, 2005
    Beautiful movie, excellence story and great fight / dance scenes. I hope they come out with another sequence.
  33. CornerH.
    Jan 20, 2005
    Does anyone even realize that beyond the twisted love story and action sequences, that moreover there is actually a mystery? Who can answer the following questions?: 1. Who rescued Mei & Jin in the field? 2. Who was the man that Mei previously seduced? 3. Who is the House of Flying Daggers deceased leader's daughter? 4. Who is the true new leader of the House of Flying Daggers? Does anyone even realize that beyond the twisted love story and action sequences, that moreover there is actually a mystery? Who can answer the following questions?: 1. Who rescued Mei & Jin in the field? 2. Who was the man that Mei previously seduced? 3. Who is the House of Flying Daggers deceased leader's daughter? 4. Who is the true new leader of the House of Flying Daggers? Another movie with a similar type of mystery is: Chan Is Missing (1982) Directed by Wayne Wang The guys looking for Chan never find him, but the audience can if paying close attention. Neither of these films play below the level of intelligence of the audience, but 'Daggers' offers much more entertainment then 'Chan', so that the less observant can still enjoy the show. Expand
  34. ElizabethD.
    Jan 25, 2005
    Yes, it's not as good as Hero. But Zhang Yimou is one of the rare filmmakers of our time, in my opinion. He has such an eye for colour, and can create movies that dazzle and touch the heart.
  35. ZsoltG.
    Jan 31, 2005
    It's a fantastic movie, which is very spectacular and poetic in the same time.
  36. theop.
    Oct 4, 2005
    A really good martial arts film that doesn't revolve around martial arts. flying daggers is the best film of it's genre since Crouching tiger, hidden dragon (hero came close). Though it is really a soap opera like love story with fighting sequences, it has great acting.
  37. GaryS.
    Feb 27, 2005
    Enchanting and captivating. Certainly not an all action movie but the two hours playing time seem to just drift by effortlessly
  38. JoeF
    Mar 17, 2005
    What a great plot for a martial arts based film, not to mention good on the eyes.
  39. armandosmithee
    May 1, 2005
    What dazzling eye candy! Great action and acting also. A thinking persons swordfight movie. The sound and music score also was awsome. A superior effort from the best Chinese director alive today.
  40. StephenW.
    Jun 21, 2005
    Over all good movie. Great picture and sound and fighting. Probably couldn't sit through it again though. Best first time around.
  41. TonyP.
    Jun 5, 2005
    Very Enjoyable, and one of the most beautiful looking films I have ever seen. More of a love story than an action film, but you will not be disappointed
  42. haris
    Dec 29, 2004
    Absolutely amazing. The best foreign film i have seen since Battle Royale. Everyone should see this film. Definately in the top 10 films of the year.
  43. J
    Feb 28, 2005
    A great exploration of chinese views, coupled with a tragedy that could not be avoided. An excellent movie, good fight scenes backed up by a great script.
  44. MichaelH.
    Feb 28, 2005
    Visual stunning, story is engaging, levels of deceipt and plot twists keep you on the edge of your seat.
  45. Gaz
    Feb 28, 2006
    Simply beautiful. A love story that breaks the stereotypical dimensions of the mainstream Western cinema, and in doing so, expresses that romance on a far greater and physical level. Far better than other easily predictable romances, it thereby deserves a higher mark.
  46. JB
    Aug 11, 2006
    It's a good story with great acting, that actually does the reverse of what most stories do: it starts out on a grand scale (rebels vs. government) and then focuses inward on a smaller scale (character devotions vs. personal responsibility). Luckily for us, HoFD is one of very few films that does this well. I would rate this higher than Hero.

1. Reviewed by: Phil Hall
    Quite simply, House of Flying Daggers is a film that sets several new standards for production and entertainment values. It is a wild riot of color, music, passion, action, mystery, pure old-fashioned thrills and even dancing.
  2. A glorious new addition to martial-arts cinema.
    Forget "Hero" -- that cult hit was just Zhang Yimou's warm-up for this martial-arts fireball that throws in a lyrical love story, head-spinning fights and dazzling surprises.