8.0

1. Feb 9, 2015
    If you love suspenseful horror movies. Do yourself a favor. Don't read anything else about this movie. Just go watch it now and don't spoil the fun. The story is extremely well written, the movie is very well executed and all of the cast do a phenomenal job of their roles.
  2. Feb 1, 2015
    Seemingly ordinary but deceptively quirky, Housebound is the farthest thing from haunted house cliché. The movie shifts between horror and comedy so easily, it's as if Psycho and Home Alone happening at the same time at the same house. Characters are occasionally annoying, although they react with such ludicrous manner, it's almost a representation of real reaction. These are not clean cutSeemingly ordinary but deceptively quirky, Housebound is the farthest thing from haunted house cliché. The movie shifts between horror and comedy so easily, it's as if Psycho and Home Alone happening at the same time at the same house. Characters are occasionally annoying, although they react with such ludicrous manner, it's almost a representation of real reaction. These are not clean cut personalities of usual on-screen haunting victims, at first they might not be likeable, but in the end one can't help but to laugh at them or cheer for their potential survival.

Story revolves around Kylie Bucknell (Morgana O'Reilly) after she botches a robbery attempt, thus sentenced for house arrest. Her family is not a normal one, it's quite dysfunctional actually. As her stress level rises, she begins to find odd things happening in her old house. The development strays from the norm so much, it's refreshing to see a sort of movie as parody of itself yet still able to be taken seriously. Kylie is the type of troubled girl who's rebellious with golden heart buried very deep inside, and she makes all the wrong laughable decision.

Most of the funny part comes from her mistakes and how Amos (Glen-Paul Waru), a sympathetic tech support and occult enthusiast who is willing to help her and her family. The movie moves with certainty, it may seem awkward and out of place, but everything has purpose, either it to set the tension or simply entertain. Character are jovially natural with occasionally profanity or excessive gossip lash, it's not hard to imagine that this family could be just that strange family in the corner of one neighborhood.

When it sets to chill, it delivers so fascinatingly well. Some of the scares are predictable, but they are effective regardless thanks to the smart direction. Screenplay is superb, from disturbing nightmarish tales, down to silly self-mocking jokes and slapstick gore. It will give audience ample of surprises and delights. Its polar opposite terror and hilarity help each other, some aspect of the horror makes the comedy much more appreciable. Furthermore, with a few brilliant twists and their ingenuous nature, the characters will be more relatable as audience gets to know them.

Housebound is the perfect example of 'Don't judge a book from its cover' old saying. It is a blast, it's exciting in every laughs and gasps. This is one of the most fun I've had watching a movie.
  3. Jan 27, 2015
    Housebound was and unexpected treasure, and is one of my top films so far this year - I came across this film by accident, so glad I watched it. The right blend of horror, comedy, suspense, over the top gore and I found myself marveling at how this movie just came out of nowhere.
    The fun was not knowing what what coming next.
  4. Jan 16, 2015
    OMFG! I totally didn't expect to see that coming. This is one of the best horror-comedy in ages. I've never been so thrilled by scary movies nowadays but this just threw me out of the window. If you wanna see a well-acted, well-scripted, well-executed, thrilling and funny horror movie, don't hesitate on seeing this. It will get you on the edge of your seat and your belly shaking!
  5. Jan 12, 2015
    This film doesn't take itself too seriously and as a result it is tremendous fun. A horror/comedy mash up that gets the balance absolutely right - it manages to poke a bit of fun at the genre tropes while still delivering genuine mystery and chills. It's a clever script, making the most of it's setting and wonderful performances from the whole cast. I have been recommending it every chanceThis film doesn't take itself too seriously and as a result it is tremendous fun. A horror/comedy mash up that gets the balance absolutely right - it manages to poke a bit of fun at the genre tropes while still delivering genuine mystery and chills. It's a clever script, making the most of it's setting and wonderful performances from the whole cast. I have been recommending it every chance I get, which is usually a good sign! Expand
  6. Dec 23, 2014
    I never write reviews, but I had to review this one. This is proof that you don't need $100 million dollars to make a great movie, just a great idea, a great script, great acting and brilliant direction. How bizarre that a movie can be so scary and hilarious at the same time.
  7. Dec 2, 2014
    One of the most entertaining movies I've seen in a while, and quite unique in its approach: act one is a horror, act two a murder mystery, and act three a comedy; each act just as effective as the others.
  8. Oct 21, 2014
    When I pressed play I was expecting an average stupid haunting movie but Housebound was just great. If you want gore and comedy watch it. The director manages to make you laugh while you are scared as hell.
  9. Oct 19, 2014
    Fantastic.

Clever little horror/comedy from NZ. Don't think too much about it, it will completely fall apart. Just roll with it for some spooky and gory fun.

1. Reviewed by: Mike D'Angelo
    Oct 17, 2014
    Housebound, a horror comedy from New Zealand, tries another tack: Its protagonist doesn’t leave because she legally can’t. The movie doesn’t get nearly as much mileage from this concept as it might have, getting bogged down in an increasingly silly plot having nothing to do with house arrest, but the premise does at least justify a hilariously antisocial leading lady.
  2. Reviewed by: Sheila O'Malley
    Oct 17, 2014
    Housebound is a standout, though, because of its satirical mood and its multiple scenes of almost screwball comedy.
  3. Reviewed by: Gary Goldstein
    Oct 16, 2014
    The mishmash that results is by turns creepy, silly, inventive, darkly funny and, at one point, mind-blowingly bloody. Still, some smart streamlining would have sharpened the focus and amped up the power of this well-shot and edited spookfest.