6.4

1. DarrenS.
    Mar 30, 2010
    Jim carrey carreys every scene he's in. But not only that, the costume design and the make up is brilliant. Great atmosphere! But having a love interest and having an actual backstory is wrong. If Tim Burton directed it, I would give it a perfect 10. So, I give it an 8, bravo Jim bravo!
  2. Feb 19, 2011
    I'm not a huge Jim Carrey fan, as a matter of a fact I really can't stand 98% of his movies, but this is a good one, granted it's not as good as the original animated movie, but it's still enjoyable, my only complaints are that it doesn't follow the original story that well, but this is a good movie from beginning to end.
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    Not really much to present, but nevertheless its still a entertaining Christmas film.
  4. May 2, 2012
    Watched this film at least 6 times now every time I get a little more entertainment, its very quotable and works for all ages Carreys performance is outstanding, its hilarious.
  5. Ryencoke
    Dec 2, 2008
    I can't believe all of the negative reviews on this film. I saw it in theaters years ago, and to this day I still will gladly consider it the best Christmas movie of all time. Jim Carrey, is without question the best grinch anybody could have asked for. Amazing and very well done.
  6. MaryZ.
    Feb 9, 2001
    I loved this film! Carrey is perfect for the role. The soundtrack is wonderful as well.
  7. HowMulroneycakesStoleHannukah
    Dec 7, 2002
    Not bad. The production design is awe-inspiring, the acting top-notch, Ron Howard's direction wonderfully enthusiastic. And Max the Dog is brilliant. But. It's just too dark. It's got the same problem that Spielberg's (underrated) Hook had: too much effort, not enough charm. Carrey doesn't help matters with his overcooked (though at times sublime) performance as Not bad. The production design is awe-inspiring, the acting top-notch, Ron Howard's direction wonderfully enthusiastic. And Max the Dog is brilliant. But. It's just too dark. It's got the same problem that Spielberg's (underrated) Hook had: too much effort, not enough charm. Carrey doesn't help matters with his overcooked (though at times sublime) performance as the titular green miseryguts, either. But ultimately, the blame has to be levelled at the script - it's just not Dr Seuss enough. Too bitter, too cynical. Also, it commits the cardinal sin of criticizing all the rhyming - it's Seuss, for God's sake! The rhymes are what it's all about! Seuss was the master of rhymes. He dropped da best rhymes in da place, dawg. Do not be dissin' da rhymes, biatch. Etcetera. Now, it may sound like I hate this movie and everything it stands for, but I don't; I'm still going to give it a green rating, because it's still very entertaining. But I get the feeling the kids are not going to like it because it's so oppressively miserable. It's almost like a fairy-tale made by Ingmar Bergman (or the miserable Bergman of repute). It's good. But be wary. Expand
  8. TrystanS.
    Oct 29, 2002
    This has proven to be the best Jim Carrey films of 2000! Carrey is cool, and hillarious, but this movie has made him the greatest! In my heart and mind I have given this since the first day I saw it (in Spokane theater) a 9 out of 10! The best Christmas film in the whole wide world!
  9. BrandonC.
    Nov 22, 2001
    This movie was great!!! Jim Carrey brought the Grinch to life real good.
  10. RyanM.
    May 28, 2001
    Great! Full of holiday cheer. A great Christmas movie. Hard to forget!
  11. AmandaH.
    Dec 7, 2002
    I gave it a ten because it gives more details than the book.i loved the film.
  12. TomL.
    Aug 2, 2002
    Carrey is a comic GENIUS!!!!
  13. KimberleyS.
    Dec 18, 2003
    Its The Best!!
  14. NoelleB.
    Dec 12, 2001
    It was great how they made everything real.
  15. JasmineE.
    Dec 2, 2001
    I thought it was so...whats the word...magical. I thought the baby grinch was the cutest-yet scary- thing! I want pictures of him!
  16. Eminems_girl
    Dec 5, 2002
    Best Christmas movie ever:)
  17. derwinkel
    Mar 16, 2005
    Fantastic.
  18. JohnT
    Dec 5, 2006
    I think it was good.BUT........why make a movie about someone STEALING CHRISTMAS!!!!!!Bad subject,ok movie.By the way..........the grinch has a heart and just needs to let it out.
  19. JaredB
    Nov 19, 2007
    From reading other critics' reviews, I can only assume that they were expecting something along the lines of Shakespeare. This is a Jim Carrey film. So, obviously, that's not gonna happen. My advice is to just take the movie for what it is: a light, breezy, and very funny adaptation of one of Dr. Seuss' best works. This has something the animated version didn't have. From reading other critics' reviews, I can only assume that they were expecting something along the lines of Shakespeare. This is a Jim Carrey film. So, obviously, that's not gonna happen. My advice is to just take the movie for what it is: a light, breezy, and very funny adaptation of one of Dr. Seuss' best works. This has something the animated version didn't have. This one actually explains what made the Grinch such a jerk. Trust me, if I had been picked on as much as he was, I'd have anger issues too. I loved the way this movie dared to explore his attitude from that angle. This film was directed with an enormous amount of energy by Ron Howard. The casting was probably the most brilliant thing about this film. Besides Carrey, the best casting decision was a little girl named Taylor Momsen, who is absolutely wonderful as Cindy Lou, the heroine of the story. I also enjoyed Jeffrey Tambor as the Mayor of Whoville. All I can say is, some critics just need to lighten up and enjoy movies for what they are instead of what they could be. Expand
  20. AdamS
    Nov 27, 2009
    This is a phenomenal movie, I can't believe the bad reviews! I watch this every christmas, easily the best christmas movie. Those who don't like the film must seriously lack humour.
  21. DanikaC.
    Nov 28, 2001
    It was awesome! I love Jim Carrey to begin with, but this was the Best! Really, in my heart it gets an 11 out of 10!!!
  22. Oct 20, 2010
    this movie relies on Jim Carrey's performance as the title character and its storytelling at the same time when it sticks to the source material. How the Grinch Stole Christmas is an entertaining holiday movie from ten years.
  23. May 28, 2012
    They could not have picked anybody better than Jim Carrey to be the Grinch (unless it was Johnny Depp). Anyways, this was very fun entertainment for the holidays.
  24. Apr 4, 2012
    How the Grinch Christmas is a extremely funny movie with a wonderful holiday feel to it. Jim Carrey brought the Grinch to life real good and truly gave a memorbale performance.
  25. Dec 26, 2013
    It if full of such enchantment and holiday spirit. A wonderfully executed tale that has heart and a lot of laughs. It is a great Christmas movie to see year and year out.
  26. Mar 9, 2013
    Its a very memorable film that will definetly be watched over and over even by people who hate it, The Grinch suceeds in many ways, not to mention Carrey's stunning performance as this creeper in make-up.

I am not a mind-reader and cannot be sure, but I think a lot of children are going to look at this movie with perplexity and distaste. It's just not much fun.
  2. This new feature has replaced the original's benevolence, taste and wit with cynicism, armpit humor and manic, desperately unfunny padding.
  3. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    Profoundly unnecessary -- cluttered, padded even at 90 minutes, indifferently narrated by Anthony Hopkins, and consistently misdirected by Ron Howard.