6.4

1. Jul 25, 2015
    My enjoyment of this movie depends what mood I'm in at the time. If I'm in a good mood, then I'll enjoy the movie. Otherwise, I'll be instantly bored, balancing it out to a 5/10.
  2. Dec 27, 2014
    Without Jim Carey, this would've been a decent Christmas movie... The story is nothing special but i bet you'll have fun! Not gonna' spoil anything. Recommended
  3. Dec 29, 2013
    Horrible, stupid and practically unwatchable, this is a true Dr. Seuss massacre. I don't know why these directors even bothered with this. And the funny thing is, they're trying to make it look like it's better than the original! I can't tell you much that pisses me of. This garbage is something that should never witnessed by human eyes again.
  4. Dec 26, 2013
    It if full of such enchantment and holiday spirit. A wonderfully executed tale that has heart and a lot of laughs. It is a great Christmas movie to see year and year out.
  5. Nov 15, 2013
    "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" is a noisy and strange-looking film that ultimately does not entertain. To be honest, I got really annoyed and irritated after watching 30 minutes of this. The story was so completely random and strange. My recommendation would be to check something else out for Christmas.
  6. Nov 12, 2013
    A wonderful holiday tale that will mesmerize all ages.
    With impeccable acting from Jim Carey and with the artful direction of Ron Howard, How The Grinch Stole Christmas is victorious.
  7. Oct 22, 2013
    Ron Howard may have struck gold with us, but some of his other films don't live up to that expectation. This movie is quirky, weird, and unsettling. While it works in some places, most of it is not up to par. But, Jim Carrey plays the Grinch damn well.
  8. Mar 9, 2013
    Its a very memorable film that will definetly be watched over and over even by people who hate it, The Grinch suceeds in many ways, not to mention Carrey's stunning performance as this creeper in make-up.
  9. Dec 24, 2012
    A butchering of Seuss' story. The Whos are turned into people that care about nothing except presents and who has the best house, Whoville is bleak, the adults are all idiots who can be out debated by a child, the Grinch is more violent and destructive, there's needless padding and romance, there's toilet humour, and the entire message is lost.

Sadly it seems that Hollywood can't turn a

Sadly it seems that Hollywood can't turn a short story into a movie without completely wrecking it. Sadder still is that there are people who believe that longer, stupider, better graphics, or has a celebrity automatically mean better.
  10. May 28, 2012
    They could not have picked anybody better than Jim Carrey to be the Grinch (unless it was Johnny Depp). Anyways, this was very fun entertainment for the holidays.
  11. May 2, 2012
    Watched this film at least 6 times now every time I get a little more entertainment, its very quotable and works for all ages Carreys performance is outstanding, its hilarious.
  12. Apr 4, 2012
    How the Grinch Christmas is a extremely funny movie with a wonderful holiday feel to it. Jim Carrey brought the Grinch to life real good and truly gave a memorbale performance.
  13. Oct 9, 2011
    Not really much to present, but nevertheless its still a entertaining Christmas film.
  14. Feb 19, 2011
    I'm not a huge Jim Carrey fan, as a matter of a fact I really can't stand 98% of his movies, but this is a good one, granted it's not as good as the original animated movie, but it's still enjoyable, my only complaints are that it doesn't follow the original story that well, but this is a good movie from beginning to end.
  15. Oct 20, 2010
    this movie relies on Jim Carrey's performance as the title character and its storytelling at the same time when it sticks to the source material. How the Grinch Stole Christmas is an entertaining holiday movie from ten years.
  16. DarrenS.
    Mar 30, 2010
    Jim carrey carreys every scene he's in. But not only that, the costume design and the make up is brilliant. Great atmosphere! But having a love interest and having an actual backstory is wrong. If Tim Burton directed it, I would give it a perfect 10. So, I give it an 8, bravo Jim bravo!
  17. AdamS
    Nov 27, 2009
    This is a phenomenal movie, I can't believe the bad reviews! I watch this every christmas, easily the best christmas movie. Those who don't like the film must seriously lack humour.
  18. Ryencoke
    Dec 2, 2008
    I can't believe all of the negative reviews on this film. I saw it in theaters years ago, and to this day I still will gladly consider it the best Christmas movie of all time. Jim Carrey, is without question the best grinch anybody could have asked for. Amazing and very well done.
  19. JaredB
    Nov 19, 2007
    From reading other critics' reviews, I can only assume that they were expecting something along the lines of Shakespeare. This is a Jim Carrey film. So, obviously, that's not gonna happen. My advice is to just take the movie for what it is: a light, breezy, and very funny adaptation of one of Dr. Seuss' best works. This has something the animated version didn't have. From reading other critics' reviews, I can only assume that they were expecting something along the lines of Shakespeare. This is a Jim Carrey film. So, obviously, that's not gonna happen. My advice is to just take the movie for what it is: a light, breezy, and very funny adaptation of one of Dr. Seuss' best works. This has something the animated version didn't have. This one actually explains what made the Grinch such a jerk. Trust me, if I had been picked on as much as he was, I'd have anger issues too. I loved the way this movie dared to explore his attitude from that angle. This film was directed with an enormous amount of energy by Ron Howard. The casting was probably the most brilliant thing about this film. Besides Carrey, the best casting decision was a little girl named Taylor Momsen, who is absolutely wonderful as Cindy Lou, the heroine of the story. I also enjoyed Jeffrey Tambor as the Mayor of Whoville. All I can say is, some critics just need to lighten up and enjoy movies for what they are instead of what they could be. Expand
  20. JohnT
    Dec 5, 2006
    I think it was good.BUT........why make a movie about someone STEALING CHRISTMAS!!!!!!Bad subject,ok movie.By the way..........the grinch has a heart and just needs to let it out.
  21. JeffF.
    Jan 19, 2006
    Very depressing. With one of the worst soundtracks of all time.
  22. SqueegieB.
    Jan 4, 2006
    This movie was a massecre of the origional cartoon. never in my wildest dreames have i thought that i would see a good movie be slapdashed in such a way!!!!
    Dec 11, 2005
    Okay in itself, but the Grinch seems pedophilic... the Whos are obsessed, and the mayor is just wierd... It strays off the whole POINT of the book, and Cindy Lou is an annoying little stalker.
  24. JillS.
    May 15, 2005
    An abomination. The opposite of the Seuss message plus they gave the grinch a love interest. ugh.
  25. derwinkel
    Mar 16, 2005
    Fantastic.
  26. B.J.
    Mar 28, 2004
    Shockingly bad movie, despite a valiant attempt to save it by Carrey.
  27. KatieP.
    Dec 22, 2003
    Ugh. I hated this movie.
  28. KimberleyS.
    Dec 18, 2003
    Its The Best!!
  29. HowMulroneycakesStoleHannukah
    Dec 7, 2002
    Not bad. The production design is awe-inspiring, the acting top-notch, Ron Howard's direction wonderfully enthusiastic. And Max the Dog is brilliant. But. It's just too dark. It's got the same problem that Spielberg's (underrated) Hook had: too much effort, not enough charm. Carrey doesn't help matters with his overcooked (though at times sublime) performance as Not bad. The production design is awe-inspiring, the acting top-notch, Ron Howard's direction wonderfully enthusiastic. And Max the Dog is brilliant. But. It's just too dark. It's got the same problem that Spielberg's (underrated) Hook had: too much effort, not enough charm. Carrey doesn't help matters with his overcooked (though at times sublime) performance as the titular green miseryguts, either. But ultimately, the blame has to be levelled at the script - it's just not Dr Seuss enough. Too bitter, too cynical. Also, it commits the cardinal sin of criticizing all the rhyming - it's Seuss, for God's sake! The rhymes are what it's all about! Seuss was the master of rhymes. He dropped da best rhymes in da place, dawg. Do not be dissin' da rhymes, biatch. Etcetera. Now, it may sound like I hate this movie and everything it stands for, but I don't; I'm still going to give it a green rating, because it's still very entertaining. But I get the feeling the kids are not going to like it because it's so oppressively miserable. It's almost like a fairy-tale made by Ingmar Bergman (or the miserable Bergman of repute). It's good. But be wary. Expand
  30. AmandaH.
    Dec 7, 2002
    I gave it a ten because it gives more details than the book.i loved the film.
  31. Eminems_girl
    Dec 5, 2002
    Best Christmas movie ever:)
  32. MichelleP.
    Nov 3, 2002
    I loved the book as a little girl (and still do) but this movie left me feeling cheated. And to think, Ron Howard who's the master of movies made this piece of trash. The humor was disgusting, the Whos were unlikable, and the Grinch himself was darker, meaner, and definetly much more evil than in the book, even when he turned "good" (?) he still didn't seem to have a heart. When I loved the book as a little girl (and still do) but this movie left me feeling cheated. And to think, Ron Howard who's the master of movies made this piece of trash. The humor was disgusting, the Whos were unlikable, and the Grinch himself was darker, meaner, and definetly much more evil than in the book, even when he turned "good" (?) he still didn't seem to have a heart. When he was a little kid, he didn't have a heart either! This is the worst movie of all-time. Expand
  33. TrystanS.
    Oct 29, 2002
    This has proven to be the best Jim Carrey films of 2000! Carrey is cool, and hillarious, but this movie has made him the greatest! In my heart and mind I have given this since the first day I saw it (in Spokane theater) a 9 out of 10! The best Christmas film in the whole wide world!
  34. TomL.
    Aug 2, 2002
    Carrey is a comic GENIUS!!!!
  35. RosieK.
    Jun 29, 2002
    Disgusting, pretentious, film.
  36. NoelleB.
    Dec 12, 2001
    It was great how they made everything real.
  37. JasmineE.
    Dec 2, 2001
    I thought it was so...whats the word...magical. I thought the baby grinch was the cutest-yet scary- thing! I want pictures of him!
  38. DanikaC.
    Nov 28, 2001
    It was awesome! I love Jim Carrey to begin with, but this was the Best! Really, in my heart it gets an 11 out of 10!!!
  39. MeM.
    Nov 22, 2001
    YUCK!
  40. BrandonC.
    Nov 22, 2001
    This movie was great!!! Jim Carrey brought the Grinch to life real good.
  41. ColeL.
    Nov 21, 2001
    This Movie hides its mean spirit with its gigantic budget. But in the end, Jim Carey is the man for this role.
  42. RyanM.
    May 28, 2001
    Great! Full of holiday cheer. A great Christmas movie. Hard to forget!
  43. MaryZ.
    Feb 9, 2001
    I loved this film! Carrey is perfect for the role. The soundtrack is wonderful as well.
  44. MichaelC.
    Feb 3, 2001
    Disappointing, cheesy, corny and useless. One of the worst films of 2000.

I am not a mind-reader and cannot be sure, but I think a lot of children are going to look at this movie with perplexity and distaste. It's just not much fun.
  2. This new feature has replaced the original's benevolence, taste and wit with cynicism, armpit humor and manic, desperately unfunny padding.
  3. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    Profoundly unnecessary -- cluttered, padded even at 90 minutes, indifferently narrated by Anthony Hopkins, and consistently misdirected by Ron Howard.