Paramount Pictures | Release Date: June 13, 2014
8.3
Universal acclaim based on 588 Ratings
WATCH NOW
EpicLadySpongeJan 12, 2016
It doesn't have the bit of charm from the first movie, but it's still worth it to say that it's still a decent sequel to the charming original that made the book look like a success.
TVJerryJun 25, 2014
This sequel takes place 5 years later, when brave Hiccup and his dragon have united their species in harmony. Then comes a villain who wants to enslave them all. The plot and dialogue are pretty mundane, the characters lack any spark orThis sequel takes place 5 years later, when brave Hiccup and his dragon have united their species in harmony. Then comes a villain who wants to enslave them all. The plot and dialogue are pretty mundane, the characters lack any spark or originality, but the animation is lovely. There's too much dialogue for young audiences, but enough action sprinkled throughout to entertain. Overall, an uninspired and unspecial followup. (I don't understand why several of the Vikings in this village have Scottish accents.) Expand
TheQuietGamerDec 19, 2014
The sequel to one of DreamWorks' best animated movies provides yet another top-notch family experience. There's enough humor, action, and emotion to ensure everyone is entertained. It does loose some of the original's magic, but it expandsThe sequel to one of DreamWorks' best animated movies provides yet another top-notch family experience. There's enough humor, action, and emotion to ensure everyone is entertained. It does loose some of the original's magic, but it expands upon the universe in interesting ways.

The attention to detail here is incredible, and I'm not just talking about the phenomenal animation. The world truly feels alive. While we watch our characters progress through the plot it's amazing to see the things that go on around them. In the background you can see dragons interacting one another in a life-like way or people just going about their day. It shows that there's a world out there where things and people are living on their own, not just elements of the plot. It's something amazing to watch.

As far as the story itself goes it is very well-written. Real character growth takes place and emotion is found throughout, although the characters in the film seem oblivious to this. When something devastating happens they only stay sad for a little bit before moving back on to the optimism and humor. It kind of sucked me out of the experience as I was still reeling from what just happened. You think they would have just taken a little bit more time to mourn.

The conflict at hand is very well done. A great villain sets things in motion, however the battles against him seem to lack a sense of urgency. Key powerful and emotional moments pop up in these battles, but they are gone in an instant.

It seems odd to criticize a kid-oriented family movie for lacking some emotional depth. However it's just not hard to notice it's missing. Despite that though the film hardly suffers from it at all. It's still an excellent adventure and one that is sure to please. It just didn't hit every note in the same near-flawless ways the first one did. My total score for the movie is a 7.8/10.
LeZeeMay 3, 2015
Like I said a couple of year ago during 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2' review, it's a terrible title for a sequel. The host, Neil Patrick also said the same thing during the 2015 Oscars. But in the digital world, slight change in theLike I said a couple of year ago during 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2' review, it's a terrible title for a sequel. The host, Neil Patrick also said the same thing during the 2015 Oscars. But in the digital world, slight change in the title makes random in order. I mean on the computer and web world, it won't show in order. Even sometime it might get lost in a vast number of other titles if they dare to chance the first word in the title for a sequel. Other than that they are not stupid as many people think. That's why they highlighted 'Dragon' boldly than the rest of the words.

This part two was not much different to its first. The story continues five years after Hiccup recovers from his injury. He and his pet, Toothless discovers a new land during the survey for the map. So their's adventure begins, but end in a trouble and forces all his people from the town to involve and fight against the rising evil force that tries to conquer them all.

Like I always say, those days are gone, now animated movies are for all ages. This was a very nicely and carefully written screenplay, did not fail to deliver. Very close to the impact the first movie made, but due to simplicity it stayed a couple of steps behind. Developed well with a bit of suspense, thrill and entertainment. Nothing more we could have asked, a perfect follow-up and hoping to explore beyond lot more in the upcoming movies in this series. Four years gap between the movies is a nice idea and fine breathing space for this franchise fan. A movie must be seen by animation fans, especially if you have already seen the first then don't miss it.

BrianMcCriticDec 24, 2014
This is one of the best achievements in animation in a long time better than The Lego Movie, Frozen, and Wreck it Ralph. Every second of this film blew me away from its sweet more humorous moments, to some of the more darker elements youThis is one of the best achievements in animation in a long time better than The Lego Movie, Frozen, and Wreck it Ralph. Every second of this film blew me away from its sweet more humorous moments, to some of the more darker elements you will ever see in a children's film. Plus how can your heart not melt every time you see Toothless on screen. A Expand
csw12Jun 24, 2014
How to train your Dragon 2 displays excellent storytelling, dazzling animation and provides a dark undertone that made the movie that much better. The movie surpasses it's predecessor in almost everyway.
imthenoobOct 22, 2014
Hated the first movie but decided to give the second one a chance and it's such a massive improvement. The story is well done and it's interesting from start to finish. Manages to keep both kids and adults entertained as well. Only complaintHated the first movie but decided to give the second one a chance and it's such a massive improvement. The story is well done and it's interesting from start to finish. Manages to keep both kids and adults entertained as well. Only complaint is that it drags on a bit too long. Expand
TokyochuchuDec 6, 2016
How to Train Your Dragon 2 is a great sequel to the sublime original. It nails most aspects and easily displays whey the Dragon series is probably the best animated franchise out there. Roll on number 3!
foxgroveJun 29, 2014
Beautifully animated and astoundingly designed, this is never- the- less let down by a so so story line that is unwieldy, over indulgent and finally quite boring. It's a shame because the first film was such a surprise. Alas, there in liesBeautifully animated and astoundingly designed, this is never- the- less let down by a so so story line that is unwieldy, over indulgent and finally quite boring. It's a shame because the first film was such a surprise. Alas, there in lies the key. The first film was quite fresh. This sequel may not necessarily be re-hashing events, but the spark of originality has gone. Aside from the afore mentioned pluses only the score adds any further distinction. Expand
JacobMay 27, 2015
How to Train Your Dragon 2 is a good sequel having good writing, gorgeous animation, and is all around engaging proving that Dreamworks can make a good film when they try. The story has some excellent themes and ideas, matures with itsHow to Train Your Dragon 2 is a good sequel having good writing, gorgeous animation, and is all around engaging proving that Dreamworks can make a good film when they try. The story has some excellent themes and ideas, matures with its audience, and has a strong beating heart that isn’t present in a lot of children’s films. The film feels a bit rushed at times not taking its time with certain aspects like the first film did and the set up is far more engaging than the resolution but its still a good film. For those worried this will be a lame cashgrab, it isn’t they really tried to make this one special and while the lack of development in certain areas prevents this film from being excellent there are many moments in this film where it is great. Expand
FranzHcriticJun 15, 2014
Adequate sequel that matches up to the original. The only thing I can disapprove of is Cate Blanchett's voice. She's a combination of Irish and American, and she's an Aussie. Other than that, solid film.
oxanaAug 24, 2014
A smooth continuation to the first 'How to Train Your Dragon' movie.

The characters have grown very naturally, the story progresses, and the story arc works very well. There's a lot going on in the background, so keep an eye on that: a
A smooth continuation to the first 'How to Train Your Dragon' movie.

There's a lot going on in the background, so keep an eye on that: a lot of cute interaction goes on in there, usually provided by the dragons, who definitely try to steal the show in this one - and that definitely works in the movie's benefit.

The human/dragon relationships get portrayed in multiple ways in this one, from one extreme to another. It broadens the world that was introduced in the first movie - and brings forth a set of challenges that are not so easily overcome.

A worthy continuation that keeps on going, with many emotional scenes, leaving lots of room to continue in the future.
eagleeyevikingJun 25, 2014
While it isn't as groundbreaking as it's predecessor, How To Train Your Dragon 2 retains the emotion, fun and brains of it to spur another Dreamworks hit.
BikerjamesJun 16, 2014
The first installment should have won the Oscar for best animated picture. This one should win for sure. The 3D is excellent, the animation is excellent. It's also well written and funny. The detail is amazing. An all around entertaining film.
Rox22Dec 17, 2014
It is clear from the start that they are trying really, really hard to be better than the first movie. Even doing a good job of not rehashing and introducing enough new content to keep you interested.

But, it just lacks the charm that the

But, it just lacks the charm that the first movie had. It's not bad, not in the least, it's damn good! But it just didn't captivate the way the first movie did. Not to mention, what a soppy villain. He comes across more as an activity for the protagonist's to deal with, than an actual threat.

But to be fair, their are more than enough plot twists and character development to overlook this.

Not to forget, the visuals are still brilliant, similar to the first movie, just a bit more polished out.

Overall:

HTTYD2 was deeply enjoyable and I had allot of fun watching it, just a shame it just didn't have that same spark of originality and charm the first movie had.
SEROJAug 4, 2014
Decent animation! I'm not going to spoil anything! You may like it but trust me it's really not that good as everyone say. 5/10 is the only true rating for this movie
moviemitch96Jun 14, 2014
I was pleasantly surprised by how great this film was! In fact, this sequel performed the rare stunt of being equally as good, if not, better than its predecessor! While it does return to some of the familiar concepts from the first, it evenI was pleasantly surprised by how great this film was! In fact, this sequel performed the rare stunt of being equally as good, if not, better than its predecessor! While it does return to some of the familiar concepts from the first, it even offers a lot of new things as well. There's more action, excitement, emotion, you name it! I was definitely entertained from start to finish! Overall, this was a very worthy and groundbreaking sequel to an already great first movie! If you loved the first, then don't hesitate to see this one! Expand
vikesh2206Nov 10, 2014
While it lacks the 'wow factor' as it's predecessor, How To Train Your Dragon 2 retains the emotion, fun and brains of it to spur another Dreamworks hit.
TrilobiteGJan 23, 2015
There is no doubt in saying that this is a very well made and directed animated feature with a good set of characters and creatures. That being said, this movie's plot seems a little rushed and it all seemed to move too quickly for my taste.There is no doubt in saying that this is a very well made and directed animated feature with a good set of characters and creatures. That being said, this movie's plot seems a little rushed and it all seemed to move too quickly for my taste. That being said, still a very well made film. Expand
FreedomFightersJan 9, 2017
DreamWorks, thank you. THANK YOU! Thank you for making a sequel to one of my favorite animated films and not screwing it up! And, on that note, thank you for making a sequel to an amazing animated film and building on the previous film like aDreamWorks, thank you. THANK YOU! Thank you for making a sequel to one of my favorite animated films and not screwing it up! And, on that note, thank you for making a sequel to an amazing animated film and building on the previous film like a sequel should! "How to Train Your Dragon 2" is a fantastic animated adventure that's brilliantly animated, well-acted, excellently written, action-packed, and emotionally resonant. When all is said and done, this might go down as one of the greatest animated sequels ever made, and it is an absolute must-watch! If you haven't gotten the chance to see the film yet, do yourself a favor! Expand
sanyrubJun 6, 2015
They succeeded in achieving a fantastic sequel which almost matches the original. Equally brilliant score and lovely characters. The story is good and the visuals and flights gorgeous. I´m giving it a slightly lower score because here we haveThey succeeded in achieving a fantastic sequel which almost matches the original. Equally brilliant score and lovely characters. The story is good and the visuals and flights gorgeous. I´m giving it a slightly lower score because here we have a few cliches which were totally missing in the first installment, and obviously, it doesn´t have the surprise factor of being the first film in a franchise. But still, wonderful and enjoyable animated film which was the best of 2014. Expand
Forrestgump1Jul 31, 2014
Well, we can't deny it to ourselves anymore. The gaping tundra of Winter is beyond us, and for that I say we are officially in the midst of the summer movie going season. Sequels, sequels, and more sequels are filling the gaps every weekend,Well, we can't deny it to ourselves anymore. The gaping tundra of Winter is beyond us, and for that I say we are officially in the midst of the summer movie going season. Sequels, sequels, and more sequels are filling the gaps every weekend, 16 to be exact.
Sooner or later, goodwill from post franchises are going to run out. This is not the case with the returning favorites of the beloved "How To Train Your Dragon". "Dragon" was a film nobody, not even myself, suspected of being the next best thing..but it was. A little film from Dreamworks Animation, that distinctly gave Pixar a run for their money. The animation was gorgeous, the story even more so. A voice cast that included Gerard Butler, Jay Baruchel, Craig Ferguson and Jonah Hill. One could perhaps argue that something is "missing" from this sequel, I would argue not.

"How To Train Your Dragon 2" stands on its own, not as a sequel, but as an endearing story of hope, forgiveness, and courage. Our favorite characters are back in full swing. Taking place five years after the events in the first film. Hiccup (Baruchel) and his cohorts are all young adults now, serving as dragon riders in Berk. Who now are living peacefully among the towns people. The curiosity of Hiccup has grown immensely, and the world he thought he knew has opened up wider than he could ever imagine. Dealing with the added stress of being appointed his righteous father, Stoick (Gerard Butler) successor, and his tough as nails girlfriend Astrid (America Ferrera). Hiccup's curiosity eventually gets him caught by a notorious dragon warrior, which eventually turns out to be his long lost mother Valka (Cate Blanchett). Hiccup then discovers the plans of an imminent attack by the ruthless Drago Bludvist, a dragon hunter who will stop at nothing until his army is complete.

Furthermore, the main success here lies within the brilliant character development. I recently saw in an article by Entertainment Weekly in which they compared the characters, I saw a sluggish standing, dependent Hiccup being compared to a 20 year old, one legged and tough Hiccup, and to be honest I couldn't be more happier. As with time, it evidently changes everyone. While sure Hiccup and his friends are "growing facial hair", riding on the backs of dragons like it's nothing. Hiccup has become more than a sensational character to root for, rather a Luke Skywalker for this younger generation. We also can't have this film if not for the loveable mascot and poster child; Toothless. The silly, charming and fun Night Fury dragon, that stole our hearts back in 2008.

Equally, the story is just as good, if not better, than the original. The first one had the added pressure of society accepting dragons. Now they have but, face a greater threat than before. In the form of Drago Bludvist, who's rip-roaring voice is brought to spectacular life by Djimon Hounsou. For a childrens film; his antics are a bit darker than most villains you would see. Younger children may be frightened by his overall appearance. However, from my standpoint, I felt he was a worthy adversary for our crew of heroes. A Darth Vader to Hiccup's Skywalker. I also enjoyed the new character Erin (voiced by Game Of Thrones own Kit Harrington).

Of course, some will likely attest that the film's characters are a bit too harsh, or deafening. Some storybook concepts will likely have to be explained to some youngsters. There is an emotional integrity to be upheld here, and director Dean DeBois keeps that formula that made it's predecessor all the more credible. Including characters we care more about, then we have had before. I found little squabbles here and there of certain action set pieces that perhaps felt out of place. If speaking figuratively it never once took away from my fulfillment and satisfaction.

Most sequels tend to overdo it, others just wreck it's potential franchise. The old saying as it goes "if it ain't broken, don't fix it". "How To Train Your Dragon 2" is an emotionally charged, and high flying adventure. The animation is breathtaking, and better than it has every been. I find it hard looking at this film as a sequel, partially because it's so well done that it stands on its own. Which in any sequel is rare. I can only imagine what the future has in store for our lovable band of characters. I do know one thing, "How To Train Your Dragon 2" falls in that 5 percent of sequels that actually builds on their predecessor.

A

By: Nate Adams

Directed By: Dean DeBois
Rated: PG
Runtime: 108 mins
Studio: Dreamworks Animation (Fox)
Release Date: June 13th 2014

Thanks for Stopping By ®
CherryxldMar 30, 2015
How To Train Your Dragon 2 es una película que logra superar a su predecesora con unos muy buenos efectos animados y un desarrollo revelador.

En esta segunda entrega se pueden ver paisajes mejor diseñados, más dragones y batallas más candentes que lo que vimos en la primera parte, en donde su historia transcurre de forma estimulante y satisfactoria dando unos toques sorpresivos en su trama que pueden ser desafiantes y abundantes, creando así, una película de animación potente y atractiva que logra superar a su predecesora.
DavidTejadaNov 18, 2016
How to train your dragon 2, unexpectedly waited, is better than the original. With Hiccup's mother induction the plot is gorgeously and cleverly at its best. Dreamworks haven't made the best movie of the year since 2001's Shrek. Definitely itHow to train your dragon 2, unexpectedly waited, is better than the original. With Hiccup's mother induction the plot is gorgeously and cleverly at its best. Dreamworks haven't made the best movie of the year since 2001's Shrek. Definitely it deserves to be named a children classic and the 2nd best movie of Dreamworks behind Shrek. Nowadays it's time to considerate that Dreamworks is making an excellent job. Expand
mrmonsterDec 28, 2014
This movie was absolutely perfect. Easily the bestanimated movie of the year, no doubt about it. This movie was better than the original, the characters were better, the story was original and unpredictable, and the villain was awesome.
WheelzFourReelzDec 29, 2014
I don't know how they did it, but DreamWorks managed to top the original. How to Train Your Dragon 2 takes every aspect of the original and makes it better, from the character development to the action to the visuals to the humor to the dramaI don't know how they did it, but DreamWorks managed to top the original. How to Train Your Dragon 2 takes every aspect of the original and makes it better, from the character development to the action to the visuals to the humor to the drama to the subject matter. This is easily the best animated movie of 2014. Expand
ReubenIsAGodJul 7, 2014
Best animated film ive seen since Toy Story 3, absolutely fantastic in about every why, recommend everybody to sit down and watch HTTYD 2, only downside is the fact that i felt as if the movie was 2 short, also not enough death and blood, iBest animated film ive seen since Toy Story 3, absolutely fantastic in about every why, recommend everybody to sit down and watch HTTYD 2, only downside is the fact that i felt as if the movie was 2 short, also not enough death and blood, i know its a kids movie but hell, it gets pretty dark. Expand
AwesomeReviewerJun 16, 2014
For starters, “How to Train Your Dragon 2” has a very mature and rich story that is filled with emotional and dramatic depth. It grows our characters from the first film and really feels like a continuation of the series and not just someFor starters, “How to Train Your Dragon 2” has a very mature and rich story that is filled with emotional and dramatic depth. It grows our characters from the first film and really feels like a continuation of the series and not just some cash grab. We see how Berk has changed and how the lives of everyone on the island has become better, I really love how the film tackles darker subject matter like remorse, forgiveness, and redemption, while at the same time touching on themes of love and loss. The screenplay is filled with moments of pure heart and we really see the bond between Hiccup and Toothless expanded upon. Not only is this a great screenplay, but also Dreamworks’ best since the original “Shrek.”

The characters and voice actors are perfect. I love how the characters have grown and their personalities have been enhanced. Hiccup takes a more proactive role in this film and we really see that he’s matured a lot from the first film. His and Toothless’ relationship is expanded on and it really is still the core emotional center of the film. The side characters like Astrid and Snotlout get more screen time this time around and they actually do more with the film. They aid with the comic relief to keep the movie a little lighter than the extremely dark tone that it’s going for. There are a few new characters introduced into the universe like Valka, Eret, and Drago Bludvist. Valka is a great character and she’s another great female addition to the roster. She has a great emotional ark and not only that, she is a strong character and a better dragon master than Hiccup that really holds her own. Eret is a nice addition to the cast as he is also comic relief, but also a interest side villain character. Drago is a fantastic villain and is really a cold hearted murderer. His method of mastering dragons really differs from Hiccups and its a great contrast that shows the different types of people that are in this world. I love how they build him up before actually revealing him.

The animation and visuals are probably amongst the best I’ve seen from any CGI film to date. It is just breathtakingly gorgeous. The character’s movements are so fluid and each character has their own way of moving. What I found really impressive is the facial animation. There are so many intimate moments in this film that require no dialogue and we can sense exactly what the characters are thinking from their expressions. There is always something happening in the foreground as well as the background and it’s unlike anything that I’ve seen before in the medium. Characters could be taking in front of the camera, but in the background there could be an epic battle taking place. There is a lot to take in, but the director, Dean DeBlois, knows how to balance the visuals with well paced story. The layout and environment are also quite impressive. Every blade of grass, powder of snow, and water particles are just amazing to look at.

The score from John Powell impresses again and really enhances the already great score of the series. It’s bombastic, epic, touching, and moving. There is something about the score that really makes the film so much better than it already is. I was literally left in tears because of the score and how beautiful it is.

I’m gonna come out and say it. “How to Train Your Dragon 2” is a MASTERPIECE amongst modern films and a revolution in animation. It is a film that is going to push animation further and allow the medium to be taken more seriously. For a major studio production, it goes to places that the medium has only thought of, but couldn’t really pull it off because of limitations set by studios and audiences alike. It is almost a near perfect film and I award it the highest 5/5 that I can.
GentM2015Jun 10, 2015
Quiet possibly one of the best animated movies of all time.How To Train Your Dragon 2 reminded us what is like to watch an animated movie that speaks to kids and adults alike.Everybody will love and get amazed by this movie.It's constantlyQuiet possibly one of the best animated movies of all time.How To Train Your Dragon 2 reminded us what is like to watch an animated movie that speaks to kids and adults alike.Everybody will love and get amazed by this movie.It's constantly fast paced full of action and the characters are as great as they ever was.The voice acting is also perfect and the Director really knows where to take inspiration,which in this case just happens to be The Empire Strikes Back.And this movie totally reminded us of the greatness of that movie. Expand
teddylukeApr 7, 2015
how to train your dragon 2 is better then the first film this is my favorite DreamWorks film. I really went to see a how to train your dragon sequel..
Movi3R3vi3werNov 27, 2014
Deeper, darker and emotionally power, this does what a sequel should do which is improve upon the first and make way for future installments. The dragons are awesome and the characters are no exceptions, this is a great animation for theDeeper, darker and emotionally power, this does what a sequel should do which is improve upon the first and make way for future installments. The dragons are awesome and the characters are no exceptions, this is a great animation for the whole family. Expand
JohnKristoferDec 25, 2014
The sequel is much better than it's predecessor.The Movie improves from it's plot to it's characters but sadly it still has some problems but it still an incredible film to watch cute,fun and entertaining that is good for young ages.
reellmJul 26, 2015
5/5★ Rare is the sequel that is almost as good as its prequel but DreamWorks does it, expanding on the world and characters without falling prey to the dreaded terrible two. The movie, like its hero, has more mature themes, and successfully5/5★ Rare is the sequel that is almost as good as its prequel but DreamWorks does it, expanding on the world and characters without falling prey to the dreaded terrible two. The movie, like its hero, has more mature themes, and successfully entertains a mass audience without pandering to them.
I would like to point out that it lacks the emotional resonance as the first film, and the finale is too big and too blockbuster actiony but an interesting twist- unlike many movies, the director chose not to make the relationship between the young couple,Hiccup and Astrid, a big plot point. Instead, the touching romance was between a married couple that had been apart for many years.
Verdict: Enjoy!
DokaluJan 26, 2015
Dreamworks How To Train Your Dragon 2 is a very nice animated movie. It has beautiful CGI, in all the technological aspects it looks really good, but besides that, this movie has as a surprise that is not only for kids, but for adults tooDreamworks How To Train Your Dragon 2 is a very nice animated movie. It has beautiful CGI, in all the technological aspects it looks really good, but besides that, this movie has as a surprise that is not only for kids, but for adults too because the film touches things mature enough for them. That's something really nice because it's not just a kid's movie, it's actually a movie that the whole family can enjoy.
When Hiccup finally is the hero of his village, another villain comes back to ruin everything for him and he once again will join forces with his dragon to defeat him and save everyone. I know we have seen the story before, but it's a little modified, so it's actually a little original. One of the best aspects of the film is that it's actually not about jokes, it doesn't try to be funny, it just tries to be entertaining and tell a good story and in that is something it succeeds by far. Though, it has some dorky dialogues, some stupid scenes and a lot of the cliches kid's movies have. Anyway, children's must-see.
Real score: 7.8
sammurphy66Jul 14, 2014
Smart, funny, visually splendid, and offering a surprising amount of emotional depth, How to Train Your Dragon 2 is a thoroughly entertaining ride for all ages.
ToFewViewsNov 20, 2014
This movie is extremely creative and imaginative, It is also one of the nicest looking Animated movies I've seen in the past years. The beauty in all the different dragons and the scenery is amazing. The story is a bit better this time aroundThis movie is extremely creative and imaginative, It is also one of the nicest looking Animated movies I've seen in the past years. The beauty in all the different dragons and the scenery is amazing. The story is a bit better this time around there is more tension/drama then the first and more then you'd expect from the series.They bring back all the big voice actors from the first for this one and add a few new ones for comedic effect. All together I really enjoyed this film, I thought it captures the creativity and beauty the creators where trying to create extremely well.
and you don't need to be a little kid to love this movie.
AkashVijayJan 21, 2015
How to train your Dragon 2 is richer, more complex and more mature than it's predecessor. It has a more emotional touch to it and visually it's just as thrilling if not more. Exploring the up's and down's in the relationship between a boy andHow to train your Dragon 2 is richer, more complex and more mature than it's predecessor. It has a more emotional touch to it and visually it's just as thrilling if not more. Exploring the up's and down's in the relationship between a boy and a dragon, this is a film that holds nothing back and isn't afraid to explore the unexplored. It's a film that adults are likely to enjoy just as much as children. Although it felt a touch too long, it's undoubtedly one of this years great achievements. Is it overall better than it's predecessor? Probably, time will verify. Expand
ToffenuffJan 6, 2015
Does a surprisingly good job at going above even the high bar that the first movie set. Some time has passed and the characters are older now, more experienced, and both changed and yet the same. If you loved the first movie, you'll also loveDoes a surprisingly good job at going above even the high bar that the first movie set. Some time has passed and the characters are older now, more experienced, and both changed and yet the same. If you loved the first movie, you'll also love this one. Highly recommended. Expand
CriticFerJun 1, 2016
How to Train Your Dragon 2 is another sequel works and knows how to follow the story of the Vikings and dragons. Animation have not only evolved, but also the characters evolved. His designs are even better than the first film and animationHow to Train Your Dragon 2 is another sequel works and knows how to follow the story of the Vikings and dragons. Animation have not only evolved, but also the characters evolved. His designs are even better than the first film and animation is even better than the other films Dreamworks and again, the script is fantastic. The dialogues, jokes, drama, everything is great in the script for this sequel. But if, as the former has a problem. And in this case is not the villain (which has an excellent design and is terrible), is the death of the father of Hiccup. I found unnecessary wear and tear because I felt as if the writer and director the sack a part of The Lion King. But as I said before, this sequel has evolved. And it has excellent animation shots when it comes to dragons flying in the sky, or fight scenes or landscapes. In my opinion it is better than the first. And it would be strange that some see this child that felt more like a sequel to teenagers than children. Osea does not have too many adults jokes or insults, it's just that with the evolution of this film felt more for teens. And yes, I think that Oscar deserved. After all, How to Train Your Dragon 2 is another excellent sequel to Dreamworks and I'm looking forward to see his third film. Expand
OnAnarchyOct 13, 2014
A mature, richly developed story serves the beautiful animation well. Any fan of family themed animated movies will find this to be one of the best in recent years.
OpinionatedGuyDec 31, 2014
It’s been a while since I watched the first movie so I don’t remember much other than that there was a war between dragons and humans. I am glad this movie somehow summarized the first movie in some scenes in the movie without the flashbackIt’s been a while since I watched the first movie so I don’t remember much other than that there was a war between dragons and humans. I am glad this movie somehow summarized the first movie in some scenes in the movie without the flashback yada yada yada.

Compared to its original, this sequel feels a bit more matured and I liked how it does not underestimate its target audience and they just go with it in terms with its mature themes. Of course, it still had the humor that both kids and adults will love that will enhance their experience watching this movie.

The movie’s plot was well-written, fast-paced and has no fillers at all which made this movie entertaining to watch. The character development is great in this movie especially on Hiccup and Toothless. After all, they’re the stars of the movie.

The animation style in this movie is great to watch as you can even tell by its smallest details that the people who worked on this movie made sure that the animation in this movie will keep your eyes on the screen.

Overall, this sequel to the How To Train Your Dragon franchise will entertain everyone, both fans of the franchise as well as the general audience with its mature themes, entertaining plot and great character development.
BigZDec 10, 2014
An unexpected second installment of How to Train Your Dragon came out with flying colors. I mean that both figuratively and literally. We often are caught up in epic fantasy so long as it resembles The Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones,An unexpected second installment of How to Train Your Dragon came out with flying colors. I mean that both figuratively and literally. We often are caught up in epic fantasy so long as it resembles The Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones, but hope is kindle when a movie like this comes out. It is difficult to have a sequel that was an improvement in pretty much every way from the first but they figured out how to do it. Each character was given attention and care to their development and delivery to the plot and dialogue. The world of dragons and their personalities was widely expanded as well as their relationship with humans. With such powerful creatures susceptible to human rule, it was only a matter of time before a big bad guy came along to pit dragons on each other along with the rest of the known world. Hiccup and his friends have to prove themselves against impossible odds and the fury of open war. But they find help in unexpected places. This movie kept it thrilling and adventurous but it did not slack on the emotion. You laugh, gasp, and even cry when you see this while not missing out on the fun of it all. It is hard enough to make a movie this well put together. I felt like there was a pretty quick pace, not really leaving any time for collection, but given that this movie is intended for younger viewers, it was the better move to maintain constant attention throughout with big moving scenes, one after the other. Well done. Animated movies often stay on their own plain but, I think this time they broke through and gave some of the good movies this year a run for their money, period. Worth a watch. Expand
Delaforce828Oct 14, 2014
Really enjoyable, the character designs of the Dragons are spectacular, and much like the first film the flying sequences are great and work great in 3-D. The story has a nice touch to it and works fine. Overall good.
jlplattenJun 13, 2014
This is a very good film, but for me it lost the charm of the original. Typically, sequels to an animated movie end up being trash, but this film doesn't follow that trend. As a sequel, it has more dragons that are very interesting and coolThis is a very good film, but for me it lost the charm of the original. Typically, sequels to an animated movie end up being trash, but this film doesn't follow that trend. As a sequel, it has more dragons that are very interesting and cool looking. The action, graphics and overall story in the film are great as well! I'm very happy with the progress of the main characters, and it really sets up the 3rd film well. Where I was turned off, was the constant need to force Toothless into doing cute actions. In the first film, Toothless had a genuine cuteness to him, but in the sequel it was overdone and quite frankly became distracting. For example, there would be some important dialogue between characters, and then Toothless would be doing something in the background... I guess they put this is for the kiddies who could care less about what's going on in the story, but as an adult, I care about the characters and the challenges they're trying to overcome... but I couldn't focus on what they were saying with how distracting Toothless became during those scenes. Also, I really liked the rag-tag bunch of Hiccups friends in the first film. They were a ton of fun, but in the sequel, they didn't have the same impact. Astrid as Hiccups girlfriend is boring, and Snotlout, Fishlegs, Tuffnut were not really funny. Ruffnut was definitely the best of the group, but her "joke" quickly ran its course, when they used it over and over again. Other than the many distractions from Toothless and the lack of fun from Hiccup's group of friends, this movie was a fantastic sequel. I will recommend it to all families and feel like it's a great challenger to Lego Movie for best animated film of the year. Expand
SkyrimGuy935Jan 17, 2015
How To Train Your Dragon 2 is one of the rare cases in which an animation can entertain kids and adults equally. Boasting beautiful animation, strong character development, and surprising emotional impact, How To Train Your Dragon 2 succeedsHow To Train Your Dragon 2 is one of the rare cases in which an animation can entertain kids and adults equally. Boasting beautiful animation, strong character development, and surprising emotional impact, How To Train Your Dragon 2 succeeds in becoming one of the best animated films ever made.

9.4/10
BlaKDemonaZJan 11, 2015
Com o sucesso do primeiro filme, que foi muito bom, era de se esperar uma sequência e que mante-se o nível. Incrível como conseguem divergir totalmente do livro, e mesmo assim criar uma excelente história. O segundo filme ficou melhor aindaCom o sucesso do primeiro filme, que foi muito bom, era de se esperar uma sequência e que mante-se o nível. Incrível como conseguem divergir totalmente do livro, e mesmo assim criar uma excelente história. O segundo filme ficou melhor ainda que o primeiro, mais maduro, com uma trama menos "infantil", e com uma batalha épica que fez a batalha dos 5 exércitos do Hobbit passar vergonha!! Manteve um nível de excelência para a franquia, e com certeza veremos um "How to Train Your Dragon 3". Que a DreamWorks mantenha o nível dessa franquia!! Expand
IMAX500Jun 13, 2014
It's One of those DreamWorks Animation movies yet again another green range since the first, First and second Shrek, megamind and puss in boots. These Dragons and people are even funnier. Even when some other girl falls in love with aIt's One of those DreamWorks Animation movies yet again another green range since the first, First and second Shrek, megamind and puss in boots. These Dragons and people are even funnier. Even when some other girl falls in love with a villain. Another Masterpiece by Fox and DreamWorks.! Great Job who ever director! Be sure to look out for an Special Trailer for the new DreamWorks Movie: Penguins of Madagascar! Coming Soon in 3D! Expand
francisrgoJun 14, 2014
Easily the Best Animated Feature of the year and Best Summer Film. Dreamworks usually takes the backseat and strides behind Pixar but with How to Train Your Dragon 2 they might have a winning formula to overcome the hurdles. What is reallyEasily the Best Animated Feature of the year and Best Summer Film. Dreamworks usually takes the backseat and strides behind Pixar but with How to Train Your Dragon 2 they might have a winning formula to overcome the hurdles. What is really great about HWTYD2 are the script and characters. The script is moving and digs deep about life, death and overcoming all odds. The cinematography, score and graphics are gorgeous and helps evoke the emotions of the film. Expand
RoraEstJul 16, 2014
This movie taught me of being a peace keeper. It feels like when I was young and I watched The Lord of The Rings: Fellowship of The Ring. Which means, it's perfect. I couldn't more grateful with this movie. I ADORE DREAMWORKS so much!!! :')This movie taught me of being a peace keeper. It feels like when I was young and I watched The Lord of The Rings: Fellowship of The Ring. Which means, it's perfect. I couldn't more grateful with this movie. I ADORE DREAMWORKS so much!!! :') So many children should be more inspired with the movie. I love the whole animation, so high-definition! And the all background with sun lights, those were amazing. I almost felt it's like AVATAR. But, as I said before, the whole movie was perfect as LOTR. It's just I thought John Powell could gave us more. The plot and the action already gave me more but suddenly it feels almost empty with the soundtrack. And, the *spoiler* proposal-song...that's so bad song. #LOL Frozen did better. Well, still, it's amazing. I enchanted with everything. The jokes and the heart-breaking scenes, truly moved me.

Dreamworks, you are my love to you! :'))))
MordoReviewerJun 1, 2016
Tony1984Feb 15, 2017
Not quite as good as the the original but sequels are always tricky, Animation is top drawer, great humor and action, never a dull moment. Number 2 Dragon is more poignant and sad than necessary maybe but I think it's up to the viewers toNot quite as good as the the original but sequels are always tricky, Animation is top drawer, great humor and action, never a dull moment. Number 2 Dragon is more poignant and sad than necessary maybe but I think it's up to the viewers to decide their feelings on that one. It's hard to keep the small ones, the teenagers and the adults happy all at the same time but I think Dreamworks make a good shake at it.. Expand
papeadojhonJan 21, 2015
It's rare that a sequel be more good that the original one, but How to Train Your Dragon 2 made it. Full of heart, funny, dramatic, beatifully animated and with a great story, this sequel makes the original just the begining.
Rob7309Jun 14, 2014
I really enjoyed the movie. It was fun to see these characters again and I liked the direction the story went. Great visuals as well as good voice acting and score. The How To Train Your Dragon movies are easily Dreamworks' best work.
alwayswatchingAug 30, 2014
Hiccup, the main character of the movie, lives in a small viking town called Berk. Thanks to his studies and constant analysis of dragons, people of Berk now a lot more about dragons and understand them better. They are living peacefully withHiccup, the main character of the movie, lives in a small viking town called Berk. Thanks to his studies and constant analysis of dragons, people of Berk now a lot more about dragons and understand them better. They are living peacefully with tamed dragons until a group of dragon hunters arrive from a neighboring place. From then the story gets twisted and we unpredicted events unfold.

Hiccup constantly pushes to solve the problems with conversation and dialog unlike most vikings in his town who are ready to fight and use violence. He relentlessly engages with the “enemies” and keeps a discourse with them. He constantly studies them and tries to understand them.

There are two strong themes in the movie that made me love it. The first theme is the relation between humans and animals which symbolically represents the relation between any two group of adversaries: two races, two ethnicities, followers of two religions, or even two nations. Through the movie, when a group studies and understands the other group, animosities subside, mutual respect flourishes, and the common cores of both groups bind them together. In the call for understanding other groups, this movie implicitly asks us to throw away all the preconceptions and dogma and look at them, judge them, and treat them fairly and justly.

The second strong theme in the movie is Hiccup's constant search for his identity. He is confused about who he really is and why he is different from all other vikings. But he also ceaselessly searches and seek what he wants to do with his life. He is fearless when he faces challenges and new experiences.

How to train your dragon 2, is a phenomenal movie, the kind that you have wait years for to come and the kind that will fill you with joy whenever you remember. It is extremely fun to watch with an amazing story and unbelievable cinematography. It is a kids movie for adults. After watching this movie, all you want to do is flying and pondering on the questions that it touches.
victorhjklJun 19, 2014
How to train your dragon 2 is amazing, one of the best animation movies I have ever seen, It will surprise you in all the ways! The movie is funny and exciting at the same time. I think I never seen a sequence of a animation movie as good as that.
NikoZguri1997Jun 19, 2014
absolutely amazing! i can't believe how much i loved "How To Train Your Dragon 2"! cause i did went into this movie excited, but i was also worried if it was gonna screw up like usual sequels do. i was so wrong! "How To Train Your Dragon 2"absolutely amazing! i can't believe how much i loved "How To Train Your Dragon 2"! cause i did went into this movie excited, but i was also worried if it was gonna screw up like usual sequels do. i was so wrong! "How To Train Your Dragon 2" is everything a good sequel should be. first of all, it's absolutely gorgeous! and the best part: it takes the incredible animation of the first movie, makes it even better and takes it to the next level. the flying scenes in this movie are incredibly stunning! like they're flying around and the camera's following them, it was so beautiful and it felt like i was up there with them. and i saw it in 3D, so my mind was literally blown away. and the CGI in this movie's definitely top notch! like there's this shot of a piece of land and a ship. it's a far away shot that looked so great, i was like "It looks like live action. This looks like a live action movie". but aside from the incredible animation, deep down this movie's something even more. it takes the characters we all loved in the first one to the next level, just like a good sequel should do. ya know in the first movie, Hiccup was the boy, the boy who found a dragon. in HTTYD 2, he has to become the man, the chief of Berk. this reminded of "The Lion King" or "The Empire Strikes Back". i walked outta the movie like "This is probably "The Lion King" or "The Empire Strikes Back" of this generation". the action's exciting, the comedy's hilarious and it has fantastic emotions. i actually cried like 3 times in "How To Train Your Dragon 2". this movie's not just for kids, it's also for adults. i mean, adults are gonna love this movie, cause there are themes that really hit them, and kids are gonna love the movie cause it's a fun and exciting action/fantasy movie with incredible animation and awesome dragons. and when they grow up, they'll start to understand the darker themes and emotional aspects the movie was going for, and they'll appreciate it even more. that's what i call a good sequel! another one of the great highlights in the movie, it's the relationship between Hiccup and Toothless. to Hiccup, Toothless's a lot more than just a pet dragon. he's Hiccup's best friend and they really show how complex the emotional bond between a person and an animal can really be. it was perfect in that sense. the only small gripe i got with the movie, it's that Drago could've been a little better as the villain. don't get me wrong, he's still a great new character and the movie does make him better as it goes. it's just that, when he first showed up, i was like "This guy feels kinda weak". that's just a small gripe, it's not enough to bring the movie down. honestly, i can't think of anything bad in "How To Train Your Dragon 2". it's the best animated sequel from DreamWorks we have, since "Kung Fu Panda 2". Dean DeBlois, i really hope you win the Oscar for this movie. you definitely deserve it! you gave us one of the best sequels in a really long time. i'm telling ya, Dean DeBlois knows what he's doing in every movie he makes. he gave us "How To Train Your Dragon 1" which was amazing. now, he gives us "How To Train Your Dragon 2" which is even better. i'm really excited for "How To Train Your Dragon 3", but i don't know how they're gonna top this one. this is the BEST animated movie of the year, and probably one of the best animated movies in a really long time. so, if you haven't seen it yet, go watch it. i swear to you, you're gonna love it.

acaiberryMar 20, 2015
A sequel that surpasses the first? Animated? Almost unheard of. Well, HTTYD2 is a fun, fast-paced movie for the kids and although there maybe some plotholes and really cheesy elements, this is ALMOST as good as it gets for kids movies.A sequel that surpasses the first? Animated? Almost unheard of. Well, HTTYD2 is a fun, fast-paced movie for the kids and although there maybe some plotholes and really cheesy elements, this is ALMOST as good as it gets for kids movies.

When a friend of mine first told me about HTTYD2, I made the mistake of dismissing it, claiming that the animations were silly and I was too mature to sit through it. I was wrong and I definitely was touched a few times even though my pride really fought hard not to show it. There is just so much hope and symbolism that you have to root for the protagonist in this one.

If you haven't seen this and watched the first one, do it. Toothless is just as adorable and the rest of the cast are fun to watch as well.

Word to describe: Sunlight. It makes you feel warm then goes away, then comes back and everyones happy.
Watch it with friends and definitely get some popcorn because you're in for a treat, which is somewhat rare for adults in an animated film. This is annoying guy approved because expect a lot chit-chat when watching.
Jman4Jul 9, 2014
Gorgeously animated, moving, and an improvement on the original in every way, How to Train Your Dragon 2 is an animated masterpiece not to be missed, with entertainment for children and adults alike.
Larry223Oct 26, 2014
Esta película no es demasiado alejada de la anterior. Hay muchos cliches y aunque quiere tener una trama mas seria, los personajes no se toman con seriedad si por ejemplo: esta apunto de llegar una guerra entre cientos de dragones. Ademas elEsta película no es demasiado alejada de la anterior. Hay muchos cliches y aunque quiere tener una trama mas seria, los personajes no se toman con seriedad si por ejemplo: esta apunto de llegar una guerra entre cientos de dragones. Ademas el protagonista Hipo aquí tiene 20 años pero parece muy tonto, cuando tiene un dragón enfrente que esta por matarlo el se queda quieto sin hacer nada en ves de huir, defenderse o intentar calmar al dragón. otro problema es que cosas como un reencuentro o la muerte de alguien es algo de 5 minutos para superarlo. Las emociones no son tan reales como en la anterior película. La animación es muy buena igual que como la anterior pero eso es lo único que mejoro ligeramente de la anterior. Ademas hay cosas que no entiendo como el control mental del jefe dragón, todos los reyes dragón tienen eso? Si es así, pues, como el de la primera película no uso lo mismo para evitar que los dragones escaparan para que el si comiera? Ademas al final sale un Deus Ex Machina. No me gusto tanto como la anterior. Le doy un 06/10 no supera a la anterior, es casi decente. Expand
DirtyDaveJun 23, 2014
This movie builds off the original in interesting ways, if you haven't seen the first one though it'll be hard to get into. The charm of this movie lays entirely with toothless. For not having any dialogue he's the most expressive andThis movie builds off the original in interesting ways, if you haven't seen the first one though it'll be hard to get into. The charm of this movie lays entirely with toothless. For not having any dialogue he's the most expressive and enjoyable character. He's adorable and cleverly funny in unique ways that stick with you. It's unfortunate you can't say the same for the rest of the characters.
Hiccup's confident attitude doesn't suit his voice anymore so his funny moments are gone. Asterid has become the annoying girl you hate your best friend for daring. Strangely enough it's the girl twin who's name you can't even remember is the only other comical relief in the film because of her infatuation with a new character.
There are some tender moments with Hiccup's father that are heartwarming, but the rest of the plot is generally predictable. And the fights are regrettably boring because of the PG rating, making an all out war look like a nerf sword fight.
Though it doesn't do anything unpredictable, the movie is still overall enjoyable and will have you feeling for the characters at times and laughing at how adorable it is the rest. Just don't go in expecting the imagination the first one brought you.
vahnAug 25, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Simply put, HTTYD 2 was a very surprising movie that blew my expectations away: the first movie was already very well done, so I had high hopes for it to be good. And not only it did not disappoint...but I can almost say that this was the best sequel I've ever seen, since probably Kung Fu Panda 2.

What works in this movie is probably how the story is actually set 5 years in the future: our characters have grown up and that's already a very nice touch to the story, especially since they are also different in their behaviours, especially Hiccup being a very more reliable character and unlike the first movie, where he was more of a "passive" character, he's now always in the battle and you do feel such high respect on seeing his sense of exploration and of knowledge. The music is fantastic, the story is interesting and follows extremely well the first movie almost naturally, and all the characters are so likeable that it's hard to pick a favourite one (SPOILER: heck, my sister cried when Stoick died nearly the end of the movie: I was not expecting that to happen and all in the theatre actually cried when that happened: It's rare when a movie makes everyone cry like that)) and It's just a pleasent movie to watch and watch again.

However if I have to pick a BIG flaw of the movie, that would definitely be the Villain.

I have absolutely no idea who the bad guy was: we see a scene in the past where he tried to submit the village chiefs, and then we move in the future (the movie's present) where he's just bad and controls dragons. That's. It.
Sure, we know -a- reason why he hates dragons, but he has absolutely no character growth and we basically get nothing out of him: he came as he went, and when he dies it's as if nothing happened. That was a huge flaw because it had everything except a well made villain (On this regard, I heard that in the beginning that the main villain was going to be Hiccup's mother, and as much as that idea is a lot more darker than the movie really is, I think it would have worked MUCH better than putting in a random bad guy with basically no character development).

Aside that big flaw, nothing else really ruins it: I honestly didn't expect this movie to be as good as the original, but I'm almost sure that it's even better! Opinions may vary, but I'm definitely gonna watch this movie again, once it comes out in dvd.

Alongside Kung Fu Panda 2!
SpiRoOct 25, 2014
This movie is great continuation of original story, if only main character wasn't so annoying.. Hiccup voice is extremely annoying, cheesy comebacks and lame dialogues do not help one bit..
hayashimegumiJul 31, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For a legendary creature lover like me, it's pretty easy to love How To Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) because there are all sorts of cuddly, playful dragons in this film. There are also plenty of distinctive characters, mostly adorable and hilarious in their own ways so the film is generally fun to watch!

The animation is stunning, the plot is admirable but sad to say that there is not much authentic dragon actions (the dragons are being controlled most of the time) and it is not emotional enough. Perhaps they did not intend to make people to get emotional and tear but I really feel that deaths should, at least be given more elements or screen time to it ... I don't enjoy the fact one of the dragons that I am fond of just die (quite easily too) and be gone forever.
mgastrykerJun 14, 2014
I didn't think that a sequel to a movie could be better than the original. I'm glad to say that I was wrong. Everything about this film works to improve on the first. The graphic design seems much more colorful this time around. The level ofI didn't think that a sequel to a movie could be better than the original. I'm glad to say that I was wrong. Everything about this film works to improve on the first. The graphic design seems much more colorful this time around. The level of detail is astounding. The voice actors are just as spectacular, especially Cate Blanchet as Valka. Most importantly, the mood and emotion has become much more adult, resulting in the movie appealing to more ages. I have seen this movie twice already. I may even see it again, because it is just that good. Expand
MemburgJun 28, 2014
This film is quite clearly a shoe-in for the best animated film of the year, if not this decade. It captures just as much charm, action, drama, and outright brilliant moments from the original, and then some. It captures the essence of what aThis film is quite clearly a shoe-in for the best animated film of the year, if not this decade. It captures just as much charm, action, drama, and outright brilliant moments from the original, and then some. It captures the essence of what a fantasy film really is, and that's a film that makes you think; "Yeah, I want to be that guy!" or "I wish I had that." It holds up not only as a film that will enthral children, but also one that will leave those of all ages, even critics who've had their emotions locked away in a cage made of The Godfathers and Citizen Kanes gasping for breath while watching a film with damn good action, far far better action than the original. It tells the story of how someone as nerdy and unpopular as Hiccup from the original can become something so, so much more. It made me realise that our world is not just a large green rock that we have to suffer on. Its a plethora of opportunity from which any situation could spring. And so, How to Train Your Dragon 2 is a masterpiece. See it if you haven't already. Expand
Ali_MarashianNov 20, 2014
"At the first sight you may find the film boring, but if you continue watching, you'll see it worth it.
probably DreamWorks's best animation along with the original "How to Train your Dragon", the meaning it contained was somehow political which made it even more enjoyable to watch. "Good dragons under the control of bad dragons will do bad things"
many things just cropped up during the movie, in a gripping and beautiful way"
LelchelseaJan 19, 2015
How to Train your Dragon 2 was not a bad movie but it certainly wasn't the best. I believe it didn't improve on its predecessor but instead fell short of it. The dynamic of the group in the first one was much stronger and even then focused onHow to Train your Dragon 2 was not a bad movie but it certainly wasn't the best. I believe it didn't improve on its predecessor but instead fell short of it. The dynamic of the group in the first one was much stronger and even then focused on many more characters. In the second movie it is more focused just on Hiccup and his family making other characters seem boring or unnecessary. Many people believe this was a deep and dramatic turn animation film that is a masterpiece to withhold but just because it tackles many mature aspects doesn't mean it succeeds with them. How to train your Dragon 2 is still a good movie but really isn't the stuff of animation legend.
Bmeyer8Apr 5, 2016
This is probably my favorite DreamWorks movie and sequel. I couldn't just put this movie down and I am like a big fan of the franchise. The movie had good animation and amazing dragons, even Toothless. I like Toothless a lot.
DudeUnknownDec 30, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was a pretty bad movie. First of all, the audience targeted was poorly executed. They tried to make it for kids and adults, but kind of failed. The dark and violent atmosphere vs. the random cartoon guy you all love! The one part that really made me hate it was the stupid idea to kill off Hiccup's dad right after he got reunited with his wife he hadn't seen in years. It reminds me of the insane, unnecessary plot twists and drama in Downton Abbey, which was terrible. Expand
jonhJun 15, 2014
Gorgeously done and exhilarating in parts. A worthy sequel. Not in my mind as magical as the first, and I thought the film was needlessly dark in a couple areas.
SnoracksJun 15, 2014
This summer movie maintains most of the splendor of its predecessor while creating more depth and shape to an interesting world full of cute dragons. It does not drag on (pun intentional) in any place and was paced extremely well. TheThis summer movie maintains most of the splendor of its predecessor while creating more depth and shape to an interesting world full of cute dragons. It does not drag on (pun intentional) in any place and was paced extremely well. The heartfelt moments seemed down to a science and the overwhelming cheese is what kept me from giving this 10/10.

Still, if you liked the first film this film will likely not disappoint unless you expect far too much from it.
JoesatmoesJun 20, 2014
I loved the first movie, so I was excited to see what they could do with a sequel (especially when Dreamworks has been so well w/ sequels, with the 2nd Kung Fu Panda movie and the 3rd Madagascar being the best in their respective series). SoI loved the first movie, so I was excited to see what they could do with a sequel (especially when Dreamworks has been so well w/ sequels, with the 2nd Kung Fu Panda movie and the 3rd Madagascar being the best in their respective series). So I went to see this movie with a few friends, and none of us liked it. And personally, I normally like movies that everyone else hates, not the other way around- well, with the exception of maybe Frozen, but many people, I see now, agree with me that it wasn't that good.

I mean, personally I though the pacing was awful (which was also a problem I had w/ Frozen) - I thought the mother's reveal, the villain's reveal, and even the central conflict were shown to quickly. And the villain was the worst I've seen since, well, Hans from Frozen. Actually, this was probably worse because he looked so evil and mad, but also a genius, and he looked that way, but his dialogue was very bland and kind of stupid, and his intentions were stupid and overused (seriously? Why did they have to add the world-domination part?!) and he just didn't seem...evil enough. And I really didn't like Hiccup's mom. I guess there was something about her personality that I didn't like, but I didn't like her inclusion in the movie. Her being dead in the first movie created tragedy for Hiccup and Stoik (since Hiccup had noone to support him when his dad looked down upon him, and Stoik was a single parent trying to take care of his people, but also be a good father), and gave Stoik a good reason for hating dragons. And the fact that she wanted peace between dragons and humans made it kind of Hiccup's 'destiny' to be like that, which takes away from the first movie, where HE was the first viking who wouldn't kill a dragon. Now, if it turned out that she was taken away and, over time grew to love dragons, that would be a different thing.
Then there was the handsome british guy. His character could have been pretty good- a guy who was on the bad side but turned good? That's what made Prince Zuko such an awesome character! But he changed sides a bit too fast (going back to the pacing)- maybe if they Riders saved him, but he betrayed them, but after thinking about what is good and what isn't, then he changed his mind, that would have made me like his character more (and then, when Hiccup gave him a-certain-person's dragon, he would have earned that honor a bit more). But his character also caused for some wanna-be-funny moments from Ruffnut...I know they're teens, so jokes about a girl liking a hot guy a are pretty much inevitable, but noone in the theater I went to laughed at the scenes where she's pretty much drooling for the guy (well, maybe except for when she falls in love w/ Snottlout and Fishlegs).

There were also a few little things that pissed me off, like Hiccup being shown as adventurous at the beginning, but everyone forgets about that. And when we found out about Stoik wanting to make Hiccup chief, it's through this odd...fake conversation between Astrid and Hiccup, which could have been cute if it wasn't for Astrid using her hands like Hiccup does and him asking when he's ever done that- jokes like that almost always feel forced imo. In fact, a lot of the jokes in this movie feel forced. And I thought the scene where Stoik and Hiccup's mom were singing could have been quite emotional, it was pretty awkward (especially w/ Gobber talking in the middle). And I'll probably be the first to say it, but I think Dragon Racing is really not fun to watch- it's like they wanted to make a cool-looking sport like Quidditch, but to make it with the least effort possible- by both creativity of the writers, and the skill required by the players.

Even though I didn't like the movie, I did think there were some good points about it: I thought Toothless, especially w/ his interactions w/ other dragons, was pretty cute and funny, but he was also a total badass in fights, and hi struggling to not follow the Alpha Dragon was pretty awesome. In fact, all the battles were awesome (though not as much as in the first movie), and while the shots of the flying got old from the first movie, they still look beautiful- especially in 3D. And (spoiler alert) Stoik's death scene was pretty heartbreaking, especially knowing that he had been trying so hard to be good and had wanted to see his son become chief and just wanted to come home as a happy family- I swear, his death almost made me cry as much as Mufasa's, not to mention it was done by Toothless (though he was under control by the villain, which is btw the only moment when I really thought that he was an evil madman). Of course, his death was ruined when the scene right after his death, there was a scene where everyone is being goofy while struggling to fly on the baby dragons, but it was still quite a heart tugging moment while it lasted.
BlueSky8642Sep 2, 2014
Quite possibly the best animated sequel of all time, How To Train Your Dragon 2 expands its boundaries while retaining the heart-warming spirit of the original. The animation quality is superb; the plot is as mature as any Lord of the RingsQuite possibly the best animated sequel of all time, How To Train Your Dragon 2 expands its boundaries while retaining the heart-warming spirit of the original. The animation quality is superb; the plot is as mature as any Lord of the Rings movie; the soundtrack is mind-blowing; and the characters are relatable human characters, complete with flaws and realistic character development. It far surpassed my expectations, and was worth the 6 month long wait. Honestly deserves the wins for Best Animated Feature, Best Original Score, and Best Original Song at the 2015 Oscars. Expand
AaronActionJun 23, 2014
This movie basically raises the bar not only animated movie, but for movies and art in general. Not only is this movie a home-run, but it smashes the ball far over the gate/ the stands and crashes into the parking lot.

First off, YES this

First off, YES this movie is worth Seeing/Buying/Then watching again, because it's that damn good. The last two animated movies I saw were the Lego Movie and Frozen and after watching this I can 100% say this movie is completely better in every way. And just to name a few things, the emotion/character development/story and just flat out animation is far better than almost every movie I've seen my entire life, yes ENTIRE LIFE. It's a cute animation that children will love, but has a much deeper and darker story that adults can appreciate it. If you like the dark/style of the 90's animated Batman series than this movie is right down your ally.
Jraptor59Jun 22, 2014
I loved part 2. Instead of a bland copy of the first story, this sequel continued and advanced the plot. It had complex character development and a true "coming of age" story for the main characters. It is one of the few cartoon sequels thatI loved part 2. Instead of a bland copy of the first story, this sequel continued and advanced the plot. It had complex character development and a true "coming of age" story for the main characters. It is one of the few cartoon sequels that actually AT LEAST lives up to the original! Expand
MercentJun 13, 2014
Your ten year old will probably love every minute of it but you will just have to enjoy the popcorn. How to Train Your Dragon 2 sticks to the tradition of lackluster animation sequels. 6 points, for old time's sake.
AesterilMar 17, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. They show hiccups mother never wanting to see her child again because of what again? And she would have never seen hiccup if he hand't accidentally stumbled next to her in the clouds? Expand
iloveFFCJul 13, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Good sequel. Unlike the rest of the world, I think the first was much better. The movie was good, but there's one part where the movie kinda lost me, Stoick's death. One of my favorite characters got killed off. And after reuniting with his long lost wife, it defanitely made me shed a tear. There's a lot of new dragons, all cool and unique in their own ways, but there's so many new ones I couldn't keep track of them all. Overall, the CGI is fantastic, the characters are fantastic, and the plot is pretty good for a kids movie. I'll give it a 7.5, but there's no halfway option, so it's awesomeness gets it an 8. Expand
ThePopCulturistJun 25, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can't think a good reason to say this is a bad film, it's not. It has some flaws in the narrative and Hiccup kinda lost part of the magic he had on the first film, maybe to make him more mature, but nothing terrible, it gave the chance to other characters to shine.

The heartbreaking scene of the film (Stoick's death) , it has many feelings, not only his father died, he died because of his best friend, it's so dark and bitter that they needed a "goofy" scene after it to distract kids from crying and don't get traumatized, it works great, I witnessed some examples while watching the movie, kids crying because of the scene and then they stopped, that is the point of the goofy Baby-Dragon scene). I was thinking that if this film was made by Disney or Pixar it would end up in a tragic cliché, like magic dragon tears that will bring Stoick back to life, after all,"All dragons have secrets"... right?

A visually stunning movie with an amazing soundtrack and good new dragon designs (that could be better in some cases) will get your attention (and your kids´) every moment. Let's hope they don't destroy the magic of two good movies in the third movie.
OwlieAug 10, 2014
Yes, everything I hoped for and more.. I absolutely loved the animation and splendour of the 'new world'. And the film takes no prisoners, and hated but loved it!
Maybe the morals go a tiny bit over children's heads, don't care, I loved it..
Maybe the morals go a tiny bit over children's heads, don't care, I loved it.. I would never in a million years think a sequel would be better, but it really is.. But you can't have one without the other!
AnanisaptaDec 13, 2014
What a disappointing mess! This sequel has less than half the charm of the original. Apparently if it's loud with a lot of color and motion, some people will feel entertained; but if this is the best Dreamworks can do, I'll short their stock.What a disappointing mess! This sequel has less than half the charm of the original. Apparently if it's loud with a lot of color and motion, some people will feel entertained; but if this is the best Dreamworks can do, I'll short their stock. In fact, now that I look at it, DWA peaked at $35.19 on 12/30/13 and yesterday closed at $21.75, down 38% in under a year. That's in the face of a stock market UP 36.6% over the same period. Clearly their market has grown up but they haven't. Too bad! Expand
JoeKnowReviewsJun 28, 2014
Dreamworks sure have a habit of making good sequels don't they? (Shrek 2, Panda 2, Madagascar 2) It impresses me that in the midst of the beautiful animation, the scope of this world they create and the epic storyline of this film: they stillDreamworks sure have a habit of making good sequels don't they? (Shrek 2, Panda 2, Madagascar 2) It impresses me that in the midst of the beautiful animation, the scope of this world they create and the epic storyline of this film: they still manage to give so much weight to the scenes when the characters are talking; something about the pacing, dialogue and soundtrack gives the characters not only more depth but more memorability too. To me it was a crucial reason why I loved every minute of this film, DreamWorks have upped their game once again! Expand
masseyJan 17, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Five years have passed since the events of the first movie and we're already thrown into how much Berk has changed since then and how much more of a community it feels with the presence of dragons. Things such as Dragon Racing at Berk are fun to watch and it's nice to see all the different ways in which dragons have come to use and how everyone has become adapted to being around them. Hiccup's new inventions were very cool; kudos to the filmmakers for coming up with those very nifty ideas.

One of the things that struck me at first was how beautiful the film looked; the visuals and animation were vastly improved on the first and characters, dragons and scenery looked and felt more alive than ever. There's a lot of attention to detail such as small character quirks and Toothless playing about in the background with other dragons. That being said though, having dragons pop in and out of frame in the background is overdone by just a touch and distracts from important dialogue and events occurring in the foreground.

The introduction of Hiccup's mother in the movie feels a little too rushed; I thought that maybe she would have been brought in in the third film. Furthermore, the little mention of Hiccup's mother earlier on in the film takes away from the surprise of the reveal. However, it's nice to see the two finally get to bond, Hiccup discovering that he takes a lot from his mother, and the reunion with the whole family, when Stoick stumbles across his wife, is very heartwarming indeed. "You're as beautiful as the day I lost you." - this may or may not have brought a tear to my eye...

The moment when the film begins to lose its balance, and almost ejects you from the immersion is when Drago Bludvist, the antagonist, is given very little build-up, despite the mystery surrounding the character at the beginning of the story, and is suddenly seen launching an attack on the dragon home inhabited by Valka, Hiccup's mother. The remainder of the film at this point feels rushed, as if the filmmakers realised they'd forgotten about the threat they'd introduced at the start of the film. I wasn't entirely convinced that Drago was a menacing villain, despite his plans and actions in the film, and the filmmakers hit a bit of a sour note on making the antagonist black, something a little cliché in animated films and just a little bit racist too.

The battle at this point in the movie feels a little too reminiscent of the final battle in the first installment, making it hard not to draw comparisons between the two. Stoick's death was emotional but I expected a greater reaction from everyone else, especially Hiccup and Valka as they'd just lost the chance of being reunited as a family. Having Stoick killed off and Valka there to 'take his place' as a parent for Hiccup just seemed a little too convenient.

I felt a little disappointed with the climax and ending; though it regarded more the connection between Toothless and Hiccup, the final battle at Berk was a little too short for my liking. Other than Hiccup becoming chieftain and taking his father's mantle, the ending just makes it feel like not much had happened, that there wasn't much of a lesson to learn and that there was little difference between the beginning and end events of the film.

Though I don't mind the emphasis put on the relationship between Hiccup, his mother and his father, I feel that other characters weren't developed enough and that some of them were merely there for comic relief. The changes made to Astrid felt a little off; yes, you can tell that it's meant to be the same Astrid from the first film and yes, five years have passed but the character's appearance and characterisation is softened and a little watered down from the strong character that she was in the predecessor. It felt like she was only there to be the established 'love interest' who we don't really get to learn much more about. Eret, the dragon trapper and a new character to the series, was one of the only other characters who had sufficient development and subsequently had believable motivations.

How To Train Your Dragon 2 is a good film and is worth the watch, carrying a lot of heart and is guaranteed to make you smile, laugh and maybe even break into tears but the sequel loses its footing with a story that rushes itself in its second half and fails to develop characters as it did with its predecessor.
EmmeNov 4, 2014
The storytelling in this movie is really bad, the emotional elements like loss, sacrifice etc are just dealt with on a very superficial, bad tv style level, there are a lot of plotholes. The dragons are cute, though, but I feel this is one ofThe storytelling in this movie is really bad, the emotional elements like loss, sacrifice etc are just dealt with on a very superficial, bad tv style level, there are a lot of plotholes. The dragons are cute, though, but I feel this is one of the animated movies that drags the genre down instead of lifting it up. Expand
SoapertJun 14, 2014
As soon as the movie started I could tell something was off. The only character that expressed any real emotion was Toothless, everyone else seemed so lifeless. During most of the dialogue the characters mouths moved and words came out, butAs soon as the movie started I could tell something was off. The only character that expressed any real emotion was Toothless, everyone else seemed so lifeless. During most of the dialogue the characters mouths moved and words came out, but they were so inexpressive it didn't feel like they were actually living characters with something to say. The entire film lacked in humor and had less charm than a single frame of a Disney or Pixar film. This was disappointing because I quite enjoyed the first one. Expand
CybercoreCEOJul 4, 2014
The director and writer of this movie has respect and love for this series. The characters have not just grown up physically, but mentally, translating well with the audience. You see the characters develop in a non-intrusive way, a path veryThe director and writer of this movie has respect and love for this series. The characters have not just grown up physically, but mentally, translating well with the audience. You see the characters develop in a non-intrusive way, a path very difficult to do in a 1hr. 45 min. timeframe. Speaking of timeframe, the pacing is well distributed and every scene has the right amount of time without feeling drawn out or rushed. The themes in this movie translates to both adults and kids. There are strong emotions for the adults to care about and fun action scenes for the kids. Finally, the artwork and designs of the movie are beautiful and can inspire others. The amount of character development, great pacing, strong emotions, and inspiring artwork are why I give this movie 10/10. Expand
DaMovieLoverSep 17, 2014
How to Train Your Dragon 2 is a rare sequel that is the same as exciting, thrilling, funny, and deeply explored or more darker in plot concept than its predecessor. What makes HTTYD2 more aimed for the YA framework is that it possesses matureHow to Train Your Dragon 2 is a rare sequel that is the same as exciting, thrilling, funny, and deeply explored or more darker in plot concept than its predecessor. What makes HTTYD2 more aimed for the YA framework is that it possesses mature tone and dramatic depth about family relationships and dragons that we don't see in the first film. Hiccup in the second film is more conscious than ever as he finds his mother; in here we see that the film is actually growing from a childish film to a mature yet darkly dramatized film. The stunning visuals have also a big contribution in making this movie a big hit for DreamWorks' second movie for the year. HTTYD2 is an eye-catching movie experience for the young and old. Recommended! Expand
Genghis_SeanJun 13, 2014
Pretty steep step down from the original which I thoroughly loved. It's significantly darker than its predecessor and less funny. The characters, story, dialogue, and writing have all gotten worse. I took my daughter, who really likedPretty steep step down from the original which I thoroughly loved. It's significantly darker than its predecessor and less funny. The characters, story, dialogue, and writing have all gotten worse. I took my daughter, who really liked Astrid in the original. Though a girl, she was driven in a way no other character was and outperformed all the boys with her determination. In the second book, she's abandoned all that ambition and spends most of the movie doting on Hiccup. She identifies now seemingly as nothing more than his future wife and has hardly any lines. That was disappointing. They did introduce another major female character, but she was nowhere near the inspiration that Astrid had been. Similarly, the lessons from the first movie, to see past our prejudices, are nowhere to be found. The story is muddled, and the jokes don't work nearly as well. I'm sure kids will like the action, but adults will be mostly bored. I certainly was. Expand
Albert13Jun 13, 2014
How to Train Your Dragon 2 is an excellent sequel. It does what sequel should do. It takes its roots, expands them and doesn't rehash the previous film. Twists and surprises make this movie more of an adult experience than a kiddie one.How to Train Your Dragon 2 is an excellent sequel. It does what sequel should do. It takes its roots, expands them and doesn't rehash the previous film. Twists and surprises make this movie more of an adult experience than a kiddie one. Beautiful, emotional and dazzling, How to Train Your Dragon 2 is the best animated film in years and puts some animated sequels to shame. Expand
ShamrockVAJun 14, 2014
It's really not a cartoon for children. A lot of smiles a lot of tears. Just go and enjoy it. One of the most upscale, amazing, exiting film I've seen this, last, many years.
YaysuzJun 13, 2014
Much, much better then the original one. That's it. YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT THIS MOVIE IS!!!! GO SEE IT NOWWWWWW!!!!!! DON'T WASTE MY TIME, GO WATCH IT!!
Dkay7777777Jun 22, 2014
"How to Train Your Dragon 2" has just become one of my favorite movies of all time. This film takes everything that was great from "How to Train Your Dragon," and improves upon it immensely. Seriously, this movie is amazing! The visuals"How to Train Your Dragon 2" has just become one of my favorite movies of all time. This film takes everything that was great from "How to Train Your Dragon," and improves upon it immensely. Seriously, this movie is amazing! The visuals are amazing, the sound is amazing, the score is amazing, and the characters are amazing!
Everything about this movie is outstanding. It's hilariously funny, gut-wrenchingly sad, and extraordinarily uplifting at different points throughout the movie.
I'd also recommend that you see it in IMAX 3D, as the visuals are definitely made for this format. Without a doubt, this was hands down, THE best IMAX 3D movie we've seen all summer, and we've seen every movie that's played in IMAX 3D thus far.
Seriously, if there's one movie that you see this summer, this should definitely be it.
casualadJul 31, 2014
‘How to Train Your Dragon 2’ is the sequel to ‘How to Train Your Dragon’ which follows the Vikings of Berk, specifically Hiccup and the Nightfury. Within this sequel dangers comes in form of a human rather than a dragon.

I absolutely

I absolutely enjoyed this film since it managed to enthral and entertain, but provide a heart-warming tale and some remarkable touching moments that get to the audience. The sets and the scenes are mesmerising allowing for some breath-taking backgrounds.

The characterisation of Hiccup is much more thoroughly explored which I find is the best part of this film. In the sequel we see Hiccup as a young adult, more wise and courageous, compared to the slightly accidental young teen he was within the original. This new young adult hiccup allows the story to diverge into extremely touching situations due to the maturity of Hiccup. The other residents of Berk are all delightful to watch from the other matured young adults like Astrid and Fishlegs, to the elders like Gobber and Stoick. The new cast is also a breath of fresh air with one character in particular being the highlight. The dragons from the initial film all retain their characteristics making them all original. The new dragons all have their own unique personalities which fit well within the older, already seen, dragons. The villain is extremely vile by the looks and the actions he partakes in. This causes the audience to instantly hate him and root for the heroes, especially if you’re an animal lover.
I think it could have been improved if they showed a little more of the characteristics of the new species of dragon. Furthermore there is a specific scene that could have been the end of the film setting up for another instalment leaving a cliff-hanger. However they did not do this and did complete the film rather than leaving it at a heart-plucking moment.

In the end ‘How to Train your Dragon 2’ is a step above its predecessor expanding and becoming more engaging. This film is a must see in anyway. Everyone will enjoy ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2’ since there is everything for the family.
DemonicSoulJun 18, 2014
Story:
Story:
Five years after the Viking village of Berk has made peace with the dragons, dragons now live amongst the villagers as working animals and companions. But when someone wants to control all the dragons, it's up to Hiccup and the gang to stop him. The film has been getting a TON of praise from critics, so much that I decided to finally begin reviewing animated films (Will eventually go to other genres). Whereas the 1st film's story revolved around Hiccup as he tries to earn the respect of his father and fellow villagers, along with developing a relationship with Toothless, the 2nd film focuses on Hiccup's family and the dangers that Drago Bludvist has on the dragons. To me, I don't see what the critics are talking about when it comes to the story being refreshing and original since it does have some problems. The story here is by-the-books: (To avoid as much spoilers as possible, I won't reveal anything important) Hiccup learns about Drago, Drago does evil things, Hiccup meets Drago and tries to solve the problem without violence, Drago does more evil things, Hiccup has to stop Drago in the end leading into a final action scene. The story here is nothing new and amazing as critics seem to say, and since this is one of those animated films that centers around its story and characters (as in their contributions to the plot) while also having a serious tone, having a cliched story actually hurts the film more than it would in something like Madagascar or Rio. In fact, the story in the 1st film to me felt better than here mostly because of Hiccup's great chemistry with some of the characters. Overall, the story is receiving more praise than it deserves. 6/10

Animation:
This is the film's biggest strength as the animation here is spectacular. The backgrounds look stunning, the textures are great, the character designs are well made, the environments vary from snowy mountains, to lush flora, to ice-y terrain, and Berk. Another impressive thing was the variety of dragons. There were at least 30 different kinds of dragons seen, and each one looks like they have their own unique feature that makes them special. You can easily make an encyclopedia on all the dragons here. But the most incredible thing about the animation were the action scenes, especially with some "Alpha" dragons fighting in the background. Definitely watch this movie in 3D or IMAX if you can. 10/10

Characters and Comedy:
As said, to me the 1st film made better use of the characters than here. I'll say that Hiccup's relationship with his father Stoick and his mother Valka make for some of the more heartwarming moments in the film. Dreamworks did add in some emotional scenes here as things happen to Hiccup, and it's great to see him change throughout the film because of those actions. His bond with Toothless also serves as another highlight to the film. His scenes with his family and Toothless are some of the best moments in the film. As for all the returning characters, they don't serve much of a purpose in the film outside of mere comic relief. I'm even disappointed that Dreamworks didn't expand Astrid and Hiccup's relationship seeing as how they're a couple now. Astrid just follows what all the side characters do now. As for the villain, Drago is your standard-dark dressing, eye-slashed, gritty-voiced villain who doesn't have an interesting backstory or goal. He wants to control all the dragons. So original. As for comedy, the returning side characters are mostly comic relief, so with them and Toothless, you'll find some nice comedy sprinkled here and there amidst all the action and conflicts. It's clear that Dreamworks focused more on Hiccup, his family, and Toothless more than their returning characters and villain. 7/10

Sound:
John Powell does an incredible job with this score incorporating a more "epic" fantasy feel to the film. The score ends up immersing you into this fictional world that Dreamworks created. They even added a song to the mix. It features Hiccup's mom and dad singing a song they hold dear to them, and it's a nice addition to an already incredible score. Oh, and the sound effects here are fine, especially in the action scenes. 10/10

Acting and Casting:
All the performances here are great but if there's one thing I have to complain about, it would be Jay Baruchel's voice for Hiccup. Watch the movie and find out why. I also feel they didn't use Jonah Hill and Christopher Mintz-Plasse to their full potential. But the acting is still great and the casting is fine. 8/10

Verdict:
This film although great, is sort of overrated when it comes to praise. This is mostly because of the flaws in the story and some of the characters. But the animation and score are what makes this film soar over Frozen and The Lego Movie. This is my pick for best animated feature of the year.....for now.

Extra:
+1 for being a sequel I enjoyed.

Rating: 9/10
scb47Jun 15, 2014
The sequel is different in tone from the original, but equally satisfying. The story is a little darker, as it deals with loss in a particularly personal way. But it is visually stunning, amusing, and moving throughout. The story relies veryThe sequel is different in tone from the original, but equally satisfying. The story is a little darker, as it deals with loss in a particularly personal way. But it is visually stunning, amusing, and moving throughout. The story relies very much on the first film, so one might be a little confused without seeing these films in order. Expand
WaterTiger5Jun 29, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Warning: Like the 1st movie this movie doesn't actually show you how to train your dragon

How To Train Dragon:2 was an ok movie for children. It wasn't as good has Kung Panda. I would give this movie a 9, but my favorite character: Stoick dies. Killing him I off was a horrible choice for DreamWorks. He was basically the heart and soul of the movie. Hiccup was too scrawny to be the main hero. He could have been a side kick. On the flip side, the movie had great animation and many new exciting themes. Like Hiccup's mother being alive. The movie also was more exciting than the first in some spots. Overall if you have children take them to this movie it is good kids movie.
GekkoSoldier1Aug 4, 2014
Love the movie more than I thought I would and I like the first one, more dragons, more story. Heaps of actions and domestic comedy. All I can say is Worth Watching.
mslindachenSep 16, 2014
"How To Train Your Dragon 2" Is a very emotional movie, and captures the importance of trust and friendship very well. The plot was organized and easy to follow, and the story line was creatively created. It was a great continuation from the"How To Train Your Dragon 2" Is a very emotional movie, and captures the importance of trust and friendship very well. The plot was organized and easy to follow, and the story line was creatively created. It was a great continuation from the first film, and Toothless and Hiccup's friendship grew. It was a wonderful movie, and I am excited for the third one! Expand
winterhombreAug 5, 2014
First things first: I never intended to watch this, it turned out to be the movie of choice on a family outing today & I had 0 interest in watching it since I never saw the original nor the series. With that in mind, I'll say I enjoyed everyFirst things first: I never intended to watch this, it turned out to be the movie of choice on a family outing today & I had 0 interest in watching it since I never saw the original nor the series. With that in mind, I'll say I enjoyed every moment and was money well spent.
The movies itself is greatly scripted with some twists and drama you wouldn't expect in a 'kids' movie, but it was one of the reasons why I liked it so much, and it is very well done in terms of animation and modelling (once again surpassing standards and my own expectations). I won't go on about characters and story because you probably already know them and I could spoil something.
I think it's superb and probably one of the best movies I've seen in a while and, without a doubt, one (if not THE) best animated films of the last 10 years. I'd give it a 9.5 but since it won't let me...
raypeterson2424Jun 27, 2014
The most entertaining movie I've seen in theaters so far this year. It felt like a solid entry in the HTTYD storyline. New lessons are learned, characters deal with loss, and heroes rise to the occasion. The flying scenes are really wellThe most entertaining movie I've seen in theaters so far this year. It felt like a solid entry in the HTTYD storyline. New lessons are learned, characters deal with loss, and heroes rise to the occasion. The flying scenes are really well done and were worth seeing in 3D. I usually avoid 3D if I can but it was justified in this movie. I can' t wait to see how Dream Works concludes this exceptional story. Expand