8.2

1. Feb 16, 2012
    The acting was amazing, the imagery superb. Although it can get boring, Howards End is a classic.
  2. Dec 1, 2013
    Excellent. How could anyone rate it less than a 10? If only people would gain insight from movies like this about the importance of preserving and protecting the environment. Emma Thompson's Oscar was well-deserved, but I thought Helena Bonham Carter should've also won one.
  3. Sep 22, 2014
    My first of the Merchant Ivory works, and I was thoroughly impressed, though for all the fine craftsmanship, it seemed to be exactly like Howards End after its matriarch died--empty, barren and without any soul whatsoever. That's what stops me from giving it a 10. And mysteriously, I kept on half-expecting Sir Anthony to say 'Margaret' like he did 'Clarisse' in The Silence of the Lambs'...

Merchant and Ivory have regathered many of the cast and crew from their earlier films to work on this reproduction to exquisite effect.
  2. Reviewed by: Staff(not credited)
    The filmmakers have allowed themselves an overlong 140 minutes in order to preserve as much of the plot as possible, but they have bypassed many of the novel's key ideas and ironies.
    The splendid cast embodies the characters so fully that the events actually seem to be happening to them, instead of unfolding from a screenplay.