Paramount Pictures | Release Date: November 23, 2011
7.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 740 Ratings
WATCH NOW
asthobaskoroApr 1, 2012
Hugo is not a magic, extravagant or elegant fantasy. Let's say it's Martin Scorsese, dazzling 3D and love letter to cinema. But Hugo is mediocre and even boring.
Spielberg00Jun 7, 2012
HUGO was clearly a hard movie to make. The book on which it is based was only half of what we usually find in books, with the other half made up of art. Though this source medium is about 500 pages in length, 60% of that consists of picturesHUGO was clearly a hard movie to make. The book on which it is based was only half of what we usually find in books, with the other half made up of art. Though this source medium is about 500 pages in length, 60% of that consists of pictures to tell the story. Having read the book only over this weekend, I was able to point out a good amount of discrepancies between the two works, but someone who read the book a while ago would not be able to point put one. As this was directed by Martin Scorsese, who had probably never directed anything that would pass with a modern PG rating before this, I expected a few scenes here that would give the average child nightmares, none of which appeared at all in the book. Not only do I realize that Scorsese actually DOES understand what a family movie is, Iâ Expand
JawsPapi87Mar 2, 2012
Hugo wasn't a movie. It was an experience. I rarely come out of the theater feeling as satisfied and uplifted as I did when leaving Hugo. The sets, cinematography and visual effects were incredible and the directing was great as usual. BestHugo wasn't a movie. It was an experience. I rarely come out of the theater feeling as satisfied and uplifted as I did when leaving Hugo. The sets, cinematography and visual effects were incredible and the directing was great as usual. Best movie of 2011. Grade: A Expand
ClariseSamuelsMar 9, 2012
The most enchanting aspect of this film is the magical backdrops--bold colors, intricate clockworks and machines that would make an enthralling playland for any child, and archetypal characters that have a Jungian appeal. The film enthrallsThe most enchanting aspect of this film is the magical backdrops--bold colors, intricate clockworks and machines that would make an enthralling playland for any child, and archetypal characters that have a Jungian appeal. The film enthralls with the fairy-tale set design. It's no wonder that Hugo won so many technical awards at the Oscars--cinematography, art direction, sound editing, sound mixing, and visual effects, all of which were richly deserved. However, the story itself gets off track, literally, since most of it takes place at a Paris train station. There are two stories--one is the story of a lost little boy, orphaned when his loving father dies in an accident and then later abandoned by a drunken uncle who brings the boy to his living quarters under the train station. The boy is hunted by the station master, who is the head of security at the train station, played austerely by Sasha Cohen. The grown-up characters tend to be stiff and wooden cliches, but not because they are bad actors, merely because they are being presented as Jungian archetypes who know their place in this magical universe. The characters are like marionettes waiting for their strings to be pulled, but the puppeteer is the controlling forces outside this luminous world that is really a theater in a box.

Ben Kingsley seems to understand this the best of anyone in the cast. He sits at the counter of his toy shop unblinkingly, almost frozen in time, until someone or something appears to stimulate him to at least nod his head. The centerpiece of the movie is a contraption called an automaton, a robot-like machine capable of limited action, which is symbolic of all the characters in this universe. But suddenly the story changes, and we realize this is a biography of the French film director George Melies, who participated in the earliest period of cinema and filmed the first fantasy and science-fiction movies. The movie turns into a giant vehicle to pay homage to this director and at one point starts to sound like a documentary. The link between the boy, the director, and the automaton becomes more tenuous and less coherent, as the story breaks down under Scorsese's desire to document this period in film history. In fiction, whether written or visual, it is tempting but problematic to stop and spend long periods giving educational lectures--the challenge is to work the information more subtly into the story.
StevenFJan 4, 2013
Not often does a film truly find its feet when its basis and plot is, well, film.
Hugo centres on the extraordinarily rollercoaster life of the title character, adapted from the book "The Tale of Hugo Cabret", we see this small boy (Asa Butterfield) living within the walls of the Gare Montparnasse train station in Paris in an early 1930s France. Hugo keeps the clocks running within the station, unbeknownst to everyone else. We soon meet the brilliantly diverse Sir Ben Kingsley, who really catapults himself into the role of toy stall owner 'Papa' Georges, named so by his goddaughter Isabelle, played by the coming-of-age Chloë Moretz. With a rather humorous supporting role from Sacha Baron Cohen as the station inspector, and brief appearances from Jude Law, Richard Griffths, Ray Winstone, Christopher Lee, Helen McCrory and Emily Mortimer, this has an ensemble cast which are used to their fulll potential.
The cinematography at work here is truly beautiful, from the fluid motion of the train station walls to small pieces within Paris, the visual effects truly are spectacular, from the set pieces of the train station to the hand of the large clock.
Perhaps the most enjoyable part of this film is the emotional rollercoaster that Martin Scorcese takes us on. This could very well be his most heart-wrenchingly beautiful film to date, he appears to have poured moments from his own life into the 120+ minute ride. With the history of film and moving pictures at play here, it truly is a trip down memory lane for some, but a valuable and entertaining history lesson for most. My pick for the stand alone performance has to be Sir Ben Kingsley, he soars to a different height in his diverse role as a down on his luck old man, I could really watch this man all day, everyday. The nostalgic setting and era used as the backdrop for the film is spot on, providing glimpses of the fast paced motion of technology in the early 20th Century, in particular the automaton, a glorious addition to this tale, one which sets in motion the basis for the film.
Hugo is quite simply a must-watch film, superb acting, wonderful effects, a riveting and thoroughly entertaining story that really is suitable for all ages, see it to believe it!
savannahrummelMay 14, 2012
I wish I could tell Martin Scorsese how much his movie impacted my life. His movie is a true masterpiece. Utterly breathtaking. I wish I could watch it for the first time again.
quincytheodoreMar 13, 2012
I went to cinema with minimum expectation. Despite thanks to rippling effect of media accolade, I couldn't help but noticing its hype. I wanted to be surprised and I honestly was, there's a genuine appeal when you go to cinema and discoverI went to cinema with minimum expectation. Despite thanks to rippling effect of media accolade, I couldn't help but noticing its hype. I wanted to be surprised and I honestly was, there's a genuine appeal when you go to cinema and discover these delights, the most recent being The Adventure of Tintin. With brilliant director and multitude of talented actors, Hugo gives you the old magic of cinema which you might have taken for granted over the years. It's nostalgic, magical and full of vanilla dream. I'll admit it's not my cup of tea, but you can't help but loving it, it's heart-warming in the most platonic universal way.

Hugo is an orphan boy who lives on a train station in Paris somewhere after World War I, for the sake of the magic, that's all you need to know. Contrary to its rather depressing era, the station is vibrantly lively and depicted masterfully. Small details of otherwise average station are put in a spectacular colorful fashion as if it's a more optimist portrayal of dull reality. Cameras pan around and follow the young Hugo's steps while still capturing the posters, little souvenirs, shopkeepers and other things our experienced (read old) weary eyes might overlook. It's simply seeing the world with innocent eyes again, and a far cry of Martin Scorsese's recent works like Shutter Island or The Departed.

It takes its time well, giving time for audience to enjoy it naturally. The station becomes a sort of personified sanctuary for Hugo with people not more than strangers, it's lonely at times yet icy cheerful. Living characters are identically essential as well, Asa Butterfield as Hugo has a likeable charm, he looks physically frail with fragile hardened mask. It's easy to root for an orphan in search for his place. His role is a demanding one, often the movie will focus heavily on him, especially on tear-jerking moments, fortunately he delivers amazingly.

Chloe Moretz as Isabella, a word-savvy kindhearted girl, is undeniably beautiful, even in boyish attires. She's talented with rough juvenile adorable air, she just glows with maturity beyond her age but still has the innocence of a child. Ben Kingsley takes the role of a shop owner who is stern, slightly mysterious and seemingly cold. In a clever persona, he exudes lost confident and unexpected warmth, even humor sometimes. Sacha Baron Cohen plays the part of Station Inspector, a more comedic villainous role, the almost cliché bumbling chaser. He provides more than laughing material though as he also has reasons and problems, but mostly for laugh.

It's predominated with dramatic moments in more sophisticated fashion, not in full blown exaggerated kind. Usually the movie will focus on the scene silently as the characters express their feelings, with or without witty dialogues. The great thing about it is how the simplest interactions such as, mildly leaning against each other or holding hands, make such impact and you're drawn to it. Soothing soundtracks, classic distinct sound of last century have theatrical beat to it, much like old time cartoon. They fit the theme magnificently and I appreciate the good timing of the sound editing, it's impeccable.

With lucid style it might be confused with children movie, and not saying that it's not, but I think it's more appropriate if it's called a movie for our inner-child. It's highly romantic and timeless, far from cheesy, and it serves as homage to the art of cinema without political or social undertone, just pure amazement and honest humble magic that is so rare these days. Very touching, joyful and passionate, it's easy to understand why lots of people are drown in short yet quaint respite that is Hugo. 9/10
Mad_Hatter91Jul 8, 2013
A film made ​​for all that we relive so exciting and moving love for cinema. In addition to having an interesting plot is also technically perfect. A photograph crazy, bright and dark in the station instead of in the streets of Paris and aA film made ​​for all that we relive so exciting and moving love for cinema. In addition to having an interesting plot is also technically perfect. A photograph crazy, bright and dark in the station instead of in the streets of Paris and a setting that is able to represent in a realistic manner as the Paris of the '30s and special effects really sensational. One thing that surprised me was the absolute 3D. The best I've ever seen so far. A movie film that manages to make you dream and makes us understand the love for cinema. Expand
outsideinMay 15, 2012
The Other Scorsese

The Other Scorsese

One Martin Scorsese uses cinema to make violent, 'realistic' films like Mean Streets, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Casino and Goodfellas, while the other one makes gentle, thoughtful films like The Age Of Innocence, Kundun and Hugo.(He also makes music documentaries like Woodstock, Last Waltz and Shine a Light.)

This lavish 3D production is a labor of love devoted to the making of films, the true subject of Hugo. The story is about an orphan who lives in a Paris train station who carries on the family tradition of fixing clocks. In this tale, he turns his hand to fixing the broken life of Georges Meliere (Ben Kingsley), chased by the evil station master (Sacha Baron Cohen, wonderful) and helped by the young, female ward of the great cinema innovator. Who is it aimed at? It is too old for very young children, too slow for older children, and not adept enough to move many adults because of its almost cartoony style. It is like Frank Capra on acid, but not nearly as witty.

Nevertheless, it is enjoyable, brilliantly made, occasionally surprising and well played by the cast. One quibbling question: why are all the French people, English? Why not cast French people or Americans? Is it because Americans only belong in Type 1 Scorsese films?
JudgeHoldenFeb 26, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hugo's magic and mystery are very slow to kick in and fade away in a nick of time. The movie itself, albeit with a very slow plot, has all the elements of Scorsese's masterpiece: good acting, convincing photography, very good makeup and setting, interesting action. However, it seems to me that at some point the story got stuck at a crossroad, unable to decide whether keep its clockwork Paris magic or develop the story of the French cinema pioneer. In my opinion, both elements could have been worked better! It's a good movie, though! Expand
geo86Mar 17, 2012
Excellent movie. From the begging til the end keeps a pace. There isnt a single moment that you are bored of the movie. Great story, great actors everything is perfect, there is no exaggeration, you can feel Hugo loneliness and his bound toExcellent movie. From the begging til the end keeps a pace. There isnt a single moment that you are bored of the movie. Great story, great actors everything is perfect, there is no exaggeration, you can feel Hugo loneliness and his bound to the robot. To the end you can understand the connection between Hugo robot Papa Georges even the feelings of the station inspector. I love this movie very much. Another great work of Scorsese. Expand
MegWhiteleyMar 28, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow, Hugo, this movie is an double edged sword, because much people think: The movie is for a children, but no. What is the reason?. Because the movie have much material of the book (that is excellent), and is awesome, the direction of Scorsese is amazing. But with this material a kid can feeling boring, because I'm watching the movie with my little brother of 9 years, and he tell: We can watch other movie?, this is boring. I think that the movie is excellent, but the mistake of Scorsese or the people that put the subtitles is say: A story for all the family, because is false, I'm feel that the story is for child but the development is for other public. Okay, the rest of the movie is great, the cast is amazing, the performance of the kid is incredible, and the rest wow. The effects are awesome, this scenes on the train station are fantastic, and the robot, is amazing (but I think that Rise of the planet of the Apes, Transformers, or Harry Potter have better effects). The screenplay is excellent. The development [for me] is interesting. Hugo is a masterpiece, is for adults, and teenagers that don't like the cultutre pop, have much amazing things. I put a dry 10, for the problem that I'm tell, but for me the movie is fantastic. Expand
adventureforevrMar 13, 2012
Hugo is one of the rare movies that is able to capture almost every emotion. I left the theater feeling happy and positive, and I think that is one of the best things that a movie can do. A tale of adventure, glory, orphans, movies, magic..Hugo is one of the rare movies that is able to capture almost every emotion. I left the theater feeling happy and positive, and I think that is one of the best things that a movie can do. A tale of adventure, glory, orphans, movies, magic.. what could be better? Hugo is one of the movies that is a movie about a boy in Paris and about the world and that comes to be the world in a movie. I have no higher praise for a movie, and after all it is a movie about making movies, made quite well. Expand
KostersKMar 22, 2012
I think most audiences from 12 and under will find Hugo to be one of the best films for their age group. Outside of that age range will likely find the film to be of fantastic quality in every category. The true question for most readers is,I think most audiences from 12 and under will find Hugo to be one of the best films for their age group. Outside of that age range will likely find the film to be of fantastic quality in every category. The true question for most readers is, do you like family films? Can you tolerate them? If so, rent it, buy it, borrow it, or somehow find a way to watch it. I think you will like it, if not absolutely love it. For me personally, I think it really is a beautiful and stunning film to see, and the acting is spot on. I just didn't care for the film after the first say hour and a half or so. Not that the last half hour is bad, in fact I rather liked it at first. It was after re-watching part of it, and thinking about it in depth that I began to realize its flaws. I do think it was rather predictable in ways, which is to be somewhat expected as a family film. I also can't get over the ending feeling like an attempt at becoming a shoe-in at the Oscars. This does bother me to a certain extent how it was done, and how educational it became on the start of the film industry. I hope if anything this ends up inspiring youth to be more creative as I find there to be far too few of these around today. None-the-less, still a well done film and was glad to have seen what it was all about.

For my full review, visit http://visuallyimpairedreviews.blogspot.com/2012/03/hugo.html
DoehlMar 24, 2012
It is Scorsese's passion for movies and stroytelling in general that makes it so warm to feel, so appealing to look at, and so entertaining to watch.
JuanoloMar 31, 2012
First off, this would be a 9.75. Almost perfect. Story is great. It just such a good story, that I don't know how much I can empathize it. Visuals and score are pretty great. acting is also well done by everyone. Scorsese doesn't disappoint.First off, this would be a 9.75. Almost perfect. Story is great. It just such a good story, that I don't know how much I can empathize it. Visuals and score are pretty great. acting is also well done by everyone. Scorsese doesn't disappoint. This is great. Overall you should watch. Recommend for everyone. Expand
AwesomeReviewerMay 2, 2012
â
ObbiePR18Mar 29, 2012
Hugo es emocionalmente cautivadora. Es una pelicula llena de magia...a todos los amantes del cine les parecera un emocionate viaje en la historia del septimo arte. Es visualmente atractiva, cada detalle de Hugo fue cuidado a tan grado queHugo es emocionalmente cautivadora. Es una pelicula llena de magia...a todos los amantes del cine les parecera un emocionate viaje en la historia del septimo arte. Es visualmente atractiva, cada detalle de Hugo fue cuidado a tan grado que parece ser casi perfecta. Una de las mejores peliculas que he visto ultimamente y un clasico instantaneo. Expand
Parera_Starr11Apr 24, 2012
A fantastic film. With so much detail and effort put into it. Great acting all around especially from no coming Asa Butterfield. Scorsese takes us on a magical journey that i never wanted to never end.
CalciferusMay 21, 2012
A heartwarming movie I've seen lately. Love the steampunk themes, charming cast and top notch story. Too bad the ending wasn't as satisfactory as thought it would be.
mrmonsterAug 4, 2012
Although Hugo was not very entertaining, it was a good mystery/drama that was actually very inspiring. It is the best movie that has come out in a long time. I wonder what the world would be like if everyone was like Hugo.
pumbazMay 29, 2012
Good story - very creative. Wonderful child actors. Not too sappy and even some historic background to keep older watchers interested. Well done. S B Cohen did a great job as the police officer.
SpangleMay 19, 2014
Right from the onset of the film, it is entirely clear why it got so many Oscar nominations for its visuals. The visual effects, sets, and cinematography, are all absolutely gorgeous and this film absolutely qualifies as eye candy. On top ofRight from the onset of the film, it is entirely clear why it got so many Oscar nominations for its visuals. The visual effects, sets, and cinematography, are all absolutely gorgeous and this film absolutely qualifies as eye candy. On top of that, it is a fantastic look at film history. I did not expect that going in and while I knew some of what was discussed, it was still very cool to see it come to life in a film. In terms of the story itself, the film was very cute and charming as we follow the events that transpire for this kid living in the train station. The acting was also pretty good. There were moments when I had to pause and take in how bad they were, but for the most part, they did a solid job for being child actors. Ben Kingsley also turned in a reliably good performance.

On the negative side, there is not much, but the aforementioned times when the acting was...less than sub-par. In those moments, it took me out of the film a bit. In addition, in the beginning, it is a tad hard to get into. However, once you are in, you are in for good. Overall, Hugo is a very enjoyable film that really demonstrates the magic of film and is a very different work from Martin Scorsese, but certainly right up there with the rest of his amazing filmography.
Iky009Jan 7, 2014
A small tribute to the history of cinema, Martin Scorsese offers us with the magic of Hugo, with a message so sincere and beautiful .
WiesyApr 6, 2013
Hugo is a well made movie from one of the best directors of all time: Martin Scorsese. I read the book too and the movie and the book where very good. The actors are good and the plot is good too. Hugo is a beautiful family film who everyoneHugo is a well made movie from one of the best directors of all time: Martin Scorsese. I read the book too and the movie and the book where very good. The actors are good and the plot is good too. Hugo is a beautiful family film who everyone needs to see. Expand
dollarsignNov 25, 2015
*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************wow
SummersausageJan 6, 2013
This movie is a wonderful imagination land that combines innocent childhood and a love letter to cinema.
It is fun, pretty and enthrall you till the end. But most of all it is accurate related to Papa Gorge's life
killian13Jul 7, 2013
Hugo is one of movies of Martin Scorsese I love ,because it tell the story of the first studio of cinema and George Méliése .
the movie respects the story of the book
bsykes91Jun 20, 2013
Martin Scorsese's love letter to film is near flawless, visually fantastic, and characters that connected very well to each other and the audience. The special effects were perfectly utilized and were tributary to Georges Méliès and hisMartin Scorsese's love letter to film is near flawless, visually fantastic, and characters that connected very well to each other and the audience. The special effects were perfectly utilized and were tributary to Georges Méliès and his revolutionary special effects. This was Scorsese's first children's movie and possibly the work closest to his heart. It is a children's movie in that it made me feel like a child again, restoring wonder and marvel to the world of film and the real world at once. The movie also connects parallels between mechanics, literature, and film-making. Expand
AmaljosJun 22, 2014
Someone compared this movie to a Hans Christian Andersen tale and I think this is about as good a comparison as it gets. Some people find it boring and painful, others are mesmerized and inspired by the story it tells and the way it does so.Someone compared this movie to a Hans Christian Andersen tale and I think this is about as good a comparison as it gets. Some people find it boring and painful, others are mesmerized and inspired by the story it tells and the way it does so. In short, if you prefer Disney's version of the little mermaid story, you will likely be disappointed by Hugo.

On the other hand, if you like the attention to detail and the not entirely happy endings of Andersen's classic short stories, you will probably find that Hugo is a captivating film that is hard to describe in a few words. It really lives in a lot more than three dimensions.

If you also happen to be a cinema fan, you will love it even more. What is a cinema fan? It's person that appreciates films for more than just their entertainment value. The way movies are made, the different layers of audio, visuals, emotions, symbols, the photography, the standout supporting casts, the way you can predict the cliché moves sometimes, but love it anyway. We love the good movies, like the bad ones, and films like Hugo make our hearts sing.

One last note on the use of 3D. I usually avoid 3D versions of movies because that feature has not yet proved itself to be more than just a gimmick. In Hugo's case, it is still partially true. I watched it in 3D and the opening sequence in the train station as well as a couple other select shots were exceptionally staged for 3D. Aside from that though, you get used to the effect and thankfully, it's the story that stays in the center of attention, followed by beautiful cinematography, characters, and 3D is trailing humbly behind. If you have the opportunity, watch the 3D version, but you will not really love it in 2D any less.
CherryxldNov 23, 2014
Hugo es una película que triunfa mostrando varios acontecimientos con respecto a la historia del cine, logra dar un buen espectáculo y su trama es muy convencional.
kolingkmMay 8, 2014
hugo is an amazing movie i really like that porno i really like that he came all over her boobs its really HOT i get so turned on i also like his nipples when i see it makes me wanna hump the **** out my dog and my sister fridge
Another_NerdFeb 26, 2015
Scorsese knows how to make a movie about just about..... anything. Hugo came about as a really well done film about films, an insight which one otherwise would never get.
maggie1Nov 7, 2014
When first seeing this movie I was in awe of the beauty it not only captures your attention but also your mind. I love that this film blends the past with the present showing the viewer how far special effects have come. this unlike manyWhen first seeing this movie I was in awe of the beauty it not only captures your attention but also your mind. I love that this film blends the past with the present showing the viewer how far special effects have come. this unlike many others can be enjoyed by the whole family and I mean that. Its not a cookie cutter family movie where the parents sit waiting for something interesting to happen with the suspense and adventure everyone can enjoy and go on a journey with the characters. I also love that Martin Scorsese directed a film that was unique from all his other films that are for a much more mature audience.
This film uses sound to its advantage every chance it gets. I believe sound is one of the most important aspects of a film and in Hugo sound allows another aspect to draw you in, to suspense the next scene, to know when to look even more intently. The sound in this film was edited so beautifully it as if it is a part of the words blended into one solid piece of art. One does not go without the other. They work hand in hand and as one becomes silent the other is ready to take its place. Martin Scorsese did a wonderful job of incorporating sound throughout this film just like he does in many others like Cape Fear and Goodfellas.
I love that the cast in this film is far from well known and all-star actors; I believe if this film had better known actors it would have detracted from the beauty of the story and we would lose the realistic aspect that Hugo is a boy living in a train station and that Isabelle is a curious young girl looking for an adventure. The cast really took their parts seriously and I believe that helped make this film what it is. The small characters were also quiet a big part of this film without all the side characters a lot of the story would be lost. If we didn't have an inspector we would lose a fair amount of the suspense and never have the threat of Hugo being taken away to the orphanage.
The special effects in this film are my favorite part. They capture you with the past and the present showing how far we have come and the amazing changes that have been made. Including George Melies is the best thing Martin Scorses could have done because this not only give an amazing plot but also bridges the gap between old and new. By including some of Melies original work we see how special effects have transformed from the magicians hat to 3-D pictures. Last when Hugo turns into a robot you not only believe it but you start to think it could happen in real life and that is when a movie truly becomes a masterpiece.
Overall I believe anyone can enjoy this film and recommend it to not just families but everyone. If you're looking for something a little less ordinary then watch Hugo I promise it won't disappoint. I must say if you can please watch it in 3-D but even if you can't it's still worth watching.
MrMovieBuffMay 28, 2015
A young boy goes on an adventure in Martin Scorsese's 'Hugo', a film adapted from Brian Selznick's novel titled "The Invention of Hugo Cabret". The film stars Asa Butterfield as Hugo, a young, orphan boy who lives in a clock above a ParisA young boy goes on an adventure in Martin Scorsese's 'Hugo', a film adapted from Brian Selznick's novel titled "The Invention of Hugo Cabret". The film stars Asa Butterfield as Hugo, a young, orphan boy who lives in a clock above a Paris train station.

He possesses a mechanical object which is called an automaton, a human-like figure that holds a pen and needs to be switched on using a heart-shaped key. Young Hugo needs to find where this key is and what this machine can do.

Hugo's father (played by Jude Law) was the one who brought this broken thing into their lives, and together, they believe that they can fix it. However, since Hugo's father's death, he has been left on his own, struggling to survive and feels like he is losing his purpose.

Hugo meets a grumpy old man named Georges Melies (Ben Kingsley), he tries to take everything that Hugo has as he believes that he is a thief. Hugo also meets his granddaughter (Chloe Moretz) and discovers that she also has a heart-shaped key. Hugo uses this as an opportunity to try and fix the broken automaton and see where his life goes from there.

Director Martin Scorsese has crafted a wonderful family film that shares pretty much the same spirit as the early "Harry Potter" movies. 'Hugo' is a wonderful, dazzling movie that is beautifully shot and well-told. I get that the pacing may frustrate some people as it is a slow-moving movie. But once the story hits you, it can be gripping. It's also a movie made for people who both love film and want to be a filmmaker. If you love the movie industry like Martin Scorsese, you will love this.
CantandresJul 31, 2015
This is the most beautiful movie I have ever had the pleasure to watch, both visually and conceptually. The performances by the children were deep and sensitive. It is the finest work Scorsese has ever done.
ULTRA_MARIO_10May 30, 2016
First time I saw this, I thought the movie is just nothing but bland but really the storytelling is great and it's emotional.

Good movie. Recommended to those who like movies with excellent drama and Great storytelling but can still be

Good movie.

Recommended to those who like movies with excellent drama and Great storytelling but can still be boring at times so it's a 7/10.
EpicLadySpongeApr 25, 2016
Gee, with Hugo, I think I feel like my eyes are very weak and my brain needs to rest by now. Movies never make me like that but Hugo just did and that's how Hugo should be the next time I see this again.
CasualCoolsebMay 14, 2016
I firstly read the book, so I decided to go and check out the movie itself. I was speechless. I couldn't have wished for a better experience from a 2011 movie. Definitely check it out. You'll thank me.
Thigpen84Feb 20, 2017
Hugo brought movie magic back for me, I would put this among Scorsese's Best, Ben Kingsley and Sasha Cohen are as good as ever, great story, and I love the wonderful world within the clocks. this flick took us somewhere we have never beenHugo brought movie magic back for me, I would put this among Scorsese's Best, Ben Kingsley and Sasha Cohen are as good as ever, great story, and I love the wonderful world within the clocks. this flick took us somewhere we have never been before and yet it used old film footage to create it. A great original story but at the same time it pays tribute to a lost time in movie history by finishing a real life story....Brilliant Expand
MonkiReviewsMay 29, 2017
I loved this movie. The acting was good and the story was magical. The acting was realistic, better than I expected. The look of the movie felt old fashioned and magical, and made it work. It was better than I expected.