7.5

1. Jan 7, 2014
    Uma homenagem ao cinema de uma grandeza fenomenal.
  2. Oct 22, 2013
    Hugo is one of Scorcese's best films in the 21st century, and delivers a combination of magic, expert moviemaking, and a great, talented cast. Sacha Baren Cohen strays from his usual "crazy foreigner" performance for a quiet, shy one. Asa Butterfield is amazing, and has a pretty good amount of potential for the future. Chloe Grace Moretz is amazing, as always, and Ben Kingsley gives an Oscar-worthy performance that is enjoyable as well as sturdy. You have to see this movie for yourself to soak up every little magical thing about it. Just the way it progresses, and the dialogue spoken is a feat almost irreplaceable. Expand
  3. Jul 8, 2013
    A film made ​​for all that we relive so exciting and moving love for cinema. In addition to having an interesting plot is also technically perfect. A photograph crazy, bright and dark in the station instead of in the streets of Paris and a setting that is able to represent in a realistic manner as the Paris of the '30s and special effects really sensational. One thing that surprised me was the absolute 3D. The best I've ever seen so far. A movie film that manages to make you dream and makes us understand the love for cinema. Expand
  4. Jun 20, 2013
    Martin Scorsese's love letter to film is near flawless, visually fantastic, and characters that connected very well to each other and the audience. The special effects were perfectly utilized and were tributary to Georges Méliès and his revolutionary special effects. This was Scorsese's first children's movie and possibly the work closest to his heart. It is a children's movie in that it made me feel like a child again, restoring wonder and marvel to the world of film and the real world at once. The movie also connects parallels between mechanics, literature, and film-making. Expand
  5. Apr 6, 2013
    Hugo is a well made movie from one of the best directors of all time: Martin Scorsese. I read the book too and the movie and the book where very good. The actors are good and the plot is good too. Hugo is a beautiful family film who everyone needs to see.
  6. Jan 6, 2013
    This movie is a wonderful imagination land that combines innocent childhood and a love letter to cinema.
    It is fun, pretty and enthrall you till the end. But most of all it is accurate related to Papa Gorge's life
  7. Jan 4, 2013
    Not often does a film truly find its feet when its basis and plot is, well, film.
    Hugo centres on the extraordinarily rollercoaster life of the title character, adapted from the book "The Tale of Hugo Cabret", we see this small boy (Asa Butterfield) living within the walls of the Gare Montparnasse train station in Paris in an early 1930s France. Hugo keeps the clocks running within the
    station, unbeknownst to everyone else. We soon meet the brilliantly diverse Sir Ben Kingsley, who really catapults himself into the role of toy stall owner 'Papa' Georges, named so by his goddaughter Isabelle, played by the coming-of-age Chloë Moretz. With a rather humorous supporting role from Sacha Baron Cohen as the station inspector, and brief appearances from Jude Law, Richard Griffths, Ray Winstone, Christopher Lee, Helen McCrory and Emily Mortimer, this has an ensemble cast which are used to their fulll potential.
    The cinematography at work here is truly beautiful, from the fluid motion of the train station walls to small pieces within Paris, the visual effects truly are spectacular, from the set pieces of the train station to the hand of the large clock.
    Perhaps the most enjoyable part of this film is the emotional rollercoaster that Martin Scorcese takes us on. This could very well be his most heart-wrenchingly beautiful film to date, he appears to have poured moments from his own life into the 120+ minute ride. With the history of film and moving pictures at play here, it truly is a trip down memory lane for some, but a valuable and entertaining history lesson for most. My pick for the stand alone performance has to be Sir Ben Kingsley, he soars to a different height in his diverse role as a down on his luck old man, I could really watch this man all day, everyday. The nostalgic setting and era used as the backdrop for the film is spot on, providing glimpses of the fast paced motion of technology in the early 20th Century, in particular the automaton, a glorious addition to this tale, one which sets in motion the basis for the film.
    Hugo is quite simply a must-watch film, superb acting, wonderful effects, a riveting and thoroughly entertaining story that really is suitable for all ages, see it to believe it!
  8. Dec 22, 2012
    Best cinematography of all time not to mention crazy visual effects. I thought this movie would have action but instead it had mind blowing screenplay and adrenaline pumping suspense. The one thing preventing this from being a 10 is that it was just barely to slow for me especially for a PG movie. But just barely.
  9. Dec 6, 2012
    Wonderful. A joyous and magical experience. Nominated for 11 Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director. Asa Butterfield and Chloe Moretz are child actors to keep an eye on.
  10. Aug 22, 2012
    2011 in film saw two very successful films depicting forgotten ages of cinema. I speak of course, of Hugo and The Artist. The story-lines weaved within this film may be confusing for some, but for the right individual Hugo is a rare film that is both charming and full of illusion. Simply put, Hugo is easily the best film of 2011 and should be considered among the great films of the 3-D era.
  11. Jun 23, 2012
    You're going to finish the movie with a lot of emotions. I can guarantee you that you will laugh, smile, want to tear up and cry, and stand up and applaud when the credits roll. "Hugo" is a triumph in masterful filmmaking packed with good acting, gorgeous Parisian scenery, a spectacular story, and plenty of emotions that you, no, anybody, will not be able to handle.
    Read the full review
    here:
  12. May 29, 2012
    Good story - very creative. Wonderful child actors. Not too sappy and even some historic background to keep older watchers interested. Well done. S B Cohen did a great job as the police officer.
  13. May 21, 2012
    A heartwarming movie I've seen lately. Love the steampunk themes, charming cast and top notch story. Too bad the ending wasn't as satisfactory as thought it would be.
  14. May 14, 2012
    I wish I could tell Martin Scorsese how much his movie impacted my life. His movie is a true masterpiece. Utterly breathtaking. I wish I could watch it for the first time again.
  15. Apr 24, 2012
    A fantastic film. With so much detail and effort put into it. Great acting all around especially from no coming Asa Butterfield. Scorsese takes us on a magical journey that i never wanted to never end.
  16. Mar 31, 2012
    First off, this would be a 9.75. Almost perfect. Story is great. It just such a good story, that I don't know how much I can empathize it. Visuals and score are pretty great. acting is also well done by everyone. Scorsese doesn't disappoint. This is great. Overall you should watch. Recommend for everyone.
  17. Mar 29, 2012
    Hugo es emocionalmente cautivadora. Es una pelicula llena de magia...a todos los amantes del cine les parecera un emocionate viaje en la historia del septimo arte. Es visualmente atractiva, cada detalle de Hugo fue cuidado a tan grado que parece ser casi perfecta. Una de las mejores peliculas que he visto ultimamente y un clasico instantaneo.
  18. Mar 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow, Hugo, this movie is an double edged sword, because much people think: The movie is for a children, but no. What is the reason?. Because the movie have much material of the book (that is excellent), and is awesome, the direction of Scorsese is amazing. But with this material a kid can feeling boring, because I'm watching the movie with my little brother of 9 years, and he tell: We can watch other movie?, this is boring. I think that the movie is excellent, but the mistake of Scorsese or the people that put the subtitles is say: A story for all the family, because is false, I'm feel that the story is for child but the development is for other public. Okay, the rest of the movie is great, the cast is amazing, the performance of the kid is incredible, and the rest wow. The effects are awesome, this scenes on the train station are fantastic, and the robot, is amazing (but I think that Rise of the planet of the Apes, Transformers, or Harry Potter have better effects). The screenplay is excellent. The development [for me] is interesting. Hugo is a masterpiece, is for adults, and teenagers that don't like the cultutre pop, have much amazing things. I put a dry 10, for the problem that I'm tell, but for me the movie is fantastic. Expand
  19. Mar 24, 2012
    It is Scorsese's passion for movies and stroytelling in general that makes it so warm to feel, so appealing to look at, and so entertaining to watch.
  20. Mar 13, 2012
    I went to cinema with minimum expectation. Despite thanks to rippling effect of media accolade, I couldn't help but noticing its hype. I wanted to be surprised and I honestly was, there's a genuine appeal when you go to cinema and discover these delights, the most recent being The Adventure of Tintin. With brilliant director and multitude of talented actors, Hugo gives you the old magic of cinema which you might have taken for granted over the years. It's nostalgic, magical and full of vanilla dream. I'll admit it's not my cup of tea, but you can't help but loving it, it's heart-warming in the most platonic universal way.

Hugo is an orphan boy who lives on a train station in Paris somewhere after World War I, for the sake of the magic, that's all you need to know. Contrary to its rather depressing era, the station is vibrantly lively and depicted masterfully. Small details of otherwise average station are put in a spectacular colorful fashion as if it's a more optimist portrayal of dull reality. Cameras pan around and follow the young Hugo's steps while still capturing the posters, little souvenirs, shopkeepers and other things our experienced (read old) weary eyes might overlook. It's simply seeing the world with innocent eyes again, and a far cry of Martin Scorsese's recent works like Shutter Island or The Departed.

It takes its time well, giving time for audience to enjoy it naturally. The station becomes a sort of personified sanctuary for Hugo with people not more than strangers, it's lonely at times yet icy cheerful. Living characters are identically essential as well, Asa Butterfield as Hugo has a likeable charm, he looks physically frail with fragile hardened mask. It's easy to root for an orphan in search for his place. His role is a demanding one, often the movie will focus heavily on him, especially on tear-jerking moments, fortunately he delivers amazingly.

Chloe Moretz as Isabella, a word-savvy kindhearted girl, is undeniably beautiful, even in boyish attires. She's talented with rough juvenile adorable air, she just glows with maturity beyond her age but still has the innocence of a child. Ben Kingsley takes the role of a shop owner who is stern, slightly mysterious and seemingly cold. In a clever persona, he exudes lost confident and unexpected warmth, even humor sometimes. Sacha Baron Cohen plays the part of Station Inspector, a more comedic villainous role, the almost cliché bumbling chaser. He provides more than laughing material though as he also has reasons and problems, but mostly for laugh.

It's predominated with dramatic moments in more sophisticated fashion, not in full blown exaggerated kind. Usually the movie will focus on the scene silently as the characters express their feelings, with or without witty dialogues. The great thing about it is how the simplest interactions such as, mildly leaning against each other or holding hands, make such impact and you're drawn to it. Soothing soundtracks, classic distinct sound of last century have theatrical beat to it, much like old time cartoon. They fit the theme magnificently and I appreciate the good timing of the sound editing, it's impeccable.

With lucid style it might be confused with children movie, and not saying that it's not, but I think it's more appropriate if it's called a movie for our inner-child. It's highly romantic and timeless, far from cheesy, and it serves as homage to the art of cinema without political or social undertone, just pure amazement and honest humble magic that is so rare these days. Very touching, joyful and passionate, it's easy to understand why lots of people are drown in short yet quaint respite that is Hugo. 9/10
  21. Mar 13, 2012
    Hugo is one of the rare movies that is able to capture almost every emotion. I left the theater feeling happy and positive, and I think that is one of the best things that a movie can do. A tale of adventure, glory, orphans, movies, magic.. what could be better? Hugo is one of the movies that is a movie about a boy in Paris and about the world and that comes to be the world in a movie. I have no higher praise for a movie, and after all it is a movie about making movies, made quite well. Expand
  22. Mar 4, 2012
    One of the best movies I have seen in recent memory. And even my kids, who don't usually like serious themed movies, had to watch it a second time as soon as it came out on bluray. Even though we saw it twice in the theaters. MUST SEE.
  23. Mar 2, 2012
    Hugo wasn't a movie. It was an experience. I rarely come out of the theater feeling as satisfied and uplifted as I did when leaving Hugo. The sets, cinematography and visual effects were incredible and the directing was great as usual. Best movie of 2011. Grade: A
  24. Feb 24, 2012
    In one word "GREAT" . I have never read the book but seeing the way Martin directed the film i think i don't have to . He literary bought toe book to life . My deepest respect to Brian Selznick for the amazing book about Georges Méliès . Nothing to say about Martin coz he is always like this (Awesome) . This movie was a box office bomb but in my box office its the biggest hit of 2011's or even the decades . The way the movie goes was so amazing . From how the story turned out from a Little boy to the Greatest Georges Méliès was unbelievable . Never imagined this movie would be like this ! WOW ! Expand
  25. Feb 21, 2012
    A great movie for all ages....timeless/classic/etc....but I was lucky to see it at a movie company's private theatre on a very wide screen and in 3D with great sound....do yourself a favor, and see it at the best theatre you can find, and you must see it in 3D....I promise you if you love movies, you will be blown away. its like a charles dickens classic in 3D.
  26. Feb 21, 2012
    I can understand the viewpoints of the people that did not enjoy this movie. I can also see how the trailers of this movie can be misleading to the final film presented as the movie itself is more methodically paced than the action adventure portrayal. I, on the other hand, did not watch this film immediately in the theaters so I came to the movie with more of an open mind. Others criticized that they did not get any story out of the people in the train station and their rhyme and reason were convoluted, however, I thought it was well done. Especially if you try to look at them from Hugos perspective. Like him, looking upon them somewhat from a distance, you come to realize that that's how we look upon each other most of the time. Others commented that they wanted those relationships more spelled out, but In the end, I didn't think that was necessary. This is more about Discovery, and within that discovery, lies the adventure. Whether it be in ourselves or each other. This movie reminds me why I love movies in the first place. Expand
  27. Feb 21, 2012
    My favorite movie of 2011. The story of friendship, filial loyalty and love of the cinema greatly appealed to me.
    It was certainly a departure from the usual fare serve up by Martin Scorsese, showing us his range.
  28. Feb 19, 2012
    Scorsese's another masterpiece. I have always adored him as the master of gangster genre - however, this family film also proves that Scorsese has talent in almost all genres of films. In sports genre, 'Raging Bull'; in gangster genre, well... too many; in romance genre, 'The Age of Innocence' and maybe 'Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore'; in family film genre, 'Hugo'... All his films impressed us with his brilliant direction, imagination and courage. Thank you so much, Mr. Scorsese. Expand
  29. Feb 9, 2012
    Hugo takes place in the train station in Paris, France. Very great cute film directed by the legendary Martin Scorsese. Going into this movie I had low exceptions because of Scorsese's past films. Hugo is about a little boy who works at a train station in the clocks where he finds this machine robot that has the power to do many things. Isabelle played by Chloe Grace Moretz, is a friend he finds while running away from the guards. Later on he finds out the secret behind the machine. Over all great amazing piece of art. Everyone go see it today! Expand
  30. Feb 7, 2012
    This year a blossoming homage to the genesis of the film industry has progressed into raptures for film aficionados and filmmakers (two frontrunners of the imminent Oscar, THE ARTIST, which I have yet to watch, and HUGO have aimed at B&W silent film and innovator Georges Méliès respectively). Martin Scorsese stews this $170,000,000 budgeted 1930s Paris Gare Montparnasse train station adventure feature in an almost immaculate way, and for the generation which may not be stupefied by Georges Mélièsâ Expand
  31. Jan 24, 2012
    Spectacular, Magical -- a Joy! A movie truly for the ages! Any review is meaningless - just go see it,
    in a movie theater, on a big screen -- you will have it with you
    forever!
  32. Jan 18, 2012
    Hello and I am aspiring critic. I am 16 years of age and have created a blog for a few reviews that I have written. I was hoping that you may be interested in checking it out http://shutethecritic.blogspot.com/2012/01/inbetweeners-movie-2011-film-review.html
    One day I hope to have a an impact on metascores, but first I need some feedback
  33. Jan 17, 2012
    Hugo is clearly one of the best movies of the year, for many reasons. First, is an adaptation of a book that has nothing to envy to Harry Potter or The Lord of the rings. Second, its use of 3D is breathtaking and that is more surprising because is a non-animated movie. Third, the picture has amazing performances of Asa Butterfield and Ben Kingsley. Finally, the film has some beautiful messages, the most important for me are the one that the whole world is like a machine and we all are the parts of it, so everyone has a role to play; and the other is that the movies can capture our dreams. These four things mixed with typical Scorsese criminal stuff and visceral fantasies, and the recollection of old movies; make this picture a tribute to cinematography.
    This tribute is explicit when are shown in screen The Arrival of a Train, Exiting the Lumiere Factory, Intolerance, A Trip to the Moon, The Great Train Robbery, The Cabinet of Doctor Caligary, and many more. And add to this, that in the film appears George Melies, the father of science fiction movies. The implicit things are the automata, which remind me the robot of Metropolis, and the derailment of the train with the same camera position of Lumiere Brothers picture.
    This film makes us nostalgic, but not in a sad way, because we notice that these classics have not been forgotten and never will. They are the foundation of cinematography as an art. Hugo is one of the few movies that are not boring to watch again an again.
  34. WOB
    Jan 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hugo will become a movie classic. This movie was a delight to experience. The actors were dramatic when they were suppose to be dramatic; the acting was appropriately reserved when the scene called for being subtle; their acting fit the historic "sensabilities" and normal psychological reactions of children & adults for the times. This a great movie! Expand
  35. Jan 9, 2012
    You'd have to be in a pissy mood not to love this film. Great for families and couples -- for people who don't mind being reminded about the importance of hope. Visually stunning (see it in 3D) and the greatest recent tribute to the history of film-making. There are several levels to the interpretation of the film, for those who are paying close attention. It's a rarity to see children who can act this well. It's surreal, to be sure, but intentionally so, and given the theme, it could hardly be any other way. I'll be very disappointed if Scorsese doesn't win some Oscars with this one. He's been working cinematic wonders for thirty years and this is no exception. Expand
  36. Jan 4, 2012
    Hugo is a thank you letter from Martin Scorsese to motion pictures, specifically the first motion pictures and their early pioneers. Using the inquisitive adventures of a young, orphaned French boy, Scorsese leads us into a much broader and surprising area than where the setup begins. Furthermore, Hugo is in 3D which at first thought seems an odd medium from the director of The Departed, Gangs of New York, and Raging Bull. The polished result and gimmicky tricks of 3D do not resemble Scorsese Expand
  37. Jan 3, 2012
    Thank you, Scorcese, for bringing this very elegant, beautiful movie to the screen. Having just gained patience for fine filmmaking after seeing Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, I was able to sit back and soak this movie in. It has moments that evoke The Artist, War Horse and even Incredibly Loud. It was a pleasure seeing 3D being used so incidentally, yet perfectly. And to learn something, too, about the early days of filmmaking. go see this with an open mind and heart, and get beyond "the kids' story." You will be rewarded. Expand
  38. Jan 3, 2012
    As everyone states, beautifully done. I loved how the character of Hugo was developed, particularly his revelation about broken machines. To me, the movie did feel more about Hugo than early film. A bit too long perhaps, but some fantastic performances (the always-fantastic Chloe Grace Moretz) make it easy to get through. I plan to see it again soon.
  39. Jan 3, 2012
    What to say about this film "HUGO".Director Martin Scorsese beautifully presented the story to the screen.The story filled with Adventure and Emotion of a little boy who try to do everything to know about the secret. Awesome Screenplay and Cinematography and the hard work is shown on each an every frame of the movie. It is really one of the Masterpiece in Hollywood Movies.
  40. Jan 3, 2012
    A different side of Marty. Feels much softer also much more personal. And the 3D thing wasn't an issue during the view. The scenes in which oldest type of film were shown with the newest type of technology were amazing. Shortly yet another great piece of cinema from Marty.
  41. Dec 30, 2011
    Hugo is a film that might be too sophisticated for little children. The movie seems to be marketed to young children. That might have hurt the box office sales. Having said that, this movie is one of the best of 2011. It's pretty, whimsical, and most of all touching. Who knew director Martin Scorsese is capable of making a family oriented film. Ben Kingsley is wonderful in the film and Sacha Baron Cohen is quite impressive playing a more serious role. Small complain -- when the movie is set in France, I do wish that the language spoken would be in French too. I understand it's an american production. It's just my pet peeve. I see signs all written in French but they all speak English. It's just not authentic. Expand
  42. Dec 30, 2011
    Without spoiling, consider a motion picture whose last 30 minutes are equal to the last 4 minutes of Cinema. To be in a theater with people tearing up over images of vintage and historic cinema, so beautifully integrated into a dazzling and heartfelt story is something special indeed. Absolutely knock-out use of 3D, fantastic performances by everyone involved, glorious set design, music, costumes and state -of-the-art CGI that propel a story rather than being superficial, stand alone tricks makes HUGO a film for moviegoers world wide. Absolutely do not miss this film in a theater. The images are transporting and need to be experienced on the big screen. Expand
  43. Dec 27, 2011
    While the beginning may be slow, it rewards you with one of 2011's best films. The story about a young boy named Hugo who tries to unlock the secrets of an automaton is compelling, even if the story is a tad predicable.
  44. Dec 24, 2011
    This movie speaks to anyone who dreams of a world where everything reaches its full potential and who strives to make a change or impression on the world in one way or another. I didn't see it as a love letter to movies as much as a love letter to visionaries that recognize the potential around them...the man that first saw the potential in film simply served as a perfect example of one of these visionaries. Expand
  45. Dec 24, 2011
    HUGO is the one of the most wonderfully pleasant movies I have ever seen ... The first time I have actually felt "movie magic." Please do not miss this movie.
  46. Dec 24, 2011
    Now im a huge Martin Scorsese fan, i love all his movies from The departed to Goodfella's to Casino. But this has to be one of the greatest films i have ever seen. The acting in this is absolutley phenomenal, the music is brilliant, and overall it's an amazing thrill ride which everyone should enjoy.
  47. Dec 23, 2011
    A nicely written story, visually pleasing with good acting. Somewhat predictable but I wasn't much in the mood for a challenge, just sit back and enjoy the costumes, sets, colors, dialogue. Some of the characters were caricatures (the adults) and they were a bit over the top and light on dialogue but enough to propel the story forward. This will be a classic. Enjoy it with the family.
  48. Dec 21, 2011
    Martin Scorsese's Hugo is a wonderfully magical film that sweeps the audience our of their seat from the very start and takes us on a whimsical adventure that reminds us why we love to go to the movies. The film takes the title character's adventure as he tries to uncover a message from his late father, which leads him to pair up with a young girl named Isabelle, all while being antagonized by the Station Inspector as well as Isabelle's godfather George. The film is also scattered with amusing and entertaining "anecdotes" of some of the station shop keepers. Despite this being his first attempt at a "family" movie, Scorsese exerts amazing control and tone throughout the film. He averts the all too common mistakes in this medium of being too flashy, too comical, and too exaggerated. Furthermore Scorsese does a wonderful job in extracting amazing performances from his two young stars Asa Butterfield and Chloe Moretz. Though some will undoubtedly say that Butterfield's performance was "over the top" I felt that it fit perfectly with the mood of the film. In one particular scene Hugo explains that he has to be on this earth for a purpose, Butterfield proves that he is just as adept at his craft as many of the great actors of the day. Butterfield and Moretz are accompanied by veteran actor Ben Kingsley who gives another great performance though even he is out shined by the young stars. The production design of the film was perhaps its strongest aspect, featuring amazing art direction and costume design as well as breathtakingly beautiful cinematography, which is where the true magic of Hugo lies. Howard Shore also delivers his best film score since The Lord of the Rings. Hugo must also be commended for its strong message of film preservation and indeed its celebration of cinema as a whole. Hugo reminds us what the movies are really for and why we even bother to go to the movie theater these days, and that is to step into our dreams. It is arguably the best family films ever made and undeniably one of the best films of 2011. Expand
  49. Dec 20, 2011
    "Hugo" is an amazing movie, a movie that most definately lives up to it's hype. The emotional Appeal of the movie and the concept is just great. The acting is top-notch and moments of emotion are handled very well. There is a lot of elegance in the fantasy and a lot of innocence about not giving up on your dreams and not forgetting your past. The plot is relatively good with a very strong message. The flaws with the movie is that the movie can become very slow and boring at times and there are not exactly that many thrils in the story but these flaws are flushed out by the greater aspects of the film. Overall, Hugo is an extrevagant child fantasy film that is well-directed with lots of inncence, a strong message, and a look at what it is: film making. Hugo is an amazing film worth film worth watching as long as you don't get turned off by the slow pace. Breakdown for "Hugo": Presentation: 9.5, Plot: 9.1, Acting: 9.8, Dialogue: 9.8, Lasting Appeal: 9.6, Verdict: 9.3 out of 10 "Amazing". Expand
  50. Dec 17, 2011
    Hugo is filmed so beautifully, and its story is told just so elegant. Hugo is easily one of the best films of the year maybe the decade, and it has one of the most talented casts ever put together with strong performances from Chloe Moretz, Asa Butterfield and Ben Kingsley who will most likely receive an Oscar nomination for his strong and committed performance. I give this movie 96% of a good movie. Expand
  51. Dec 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Saw the movie with my girlfriend last night and thought it was a really interesting and unique movie. The movie is about early film making and a young boy finding his way home after his father dies and leaves him with this ani-tron human looking machine that writes. The overall story was original and breathtaking, the CG were great and overall the movie looked fantastic. Expand
  52. Dec 16, 2011
    A Masterpiece. My exact words when the movie was over. This is a great children's movie but It seemed mostly for adults. Kids would not like this. Kids now a days are spoiled and prefer crap. Also Hugo's character was actually Martin Scorsese when he was a kid. There is much talk online about how the advertisement was misleading, which it was. The trailer made the movie seem like a piece of crap. But that was not the case. The advertisement was pure genius, it lured in a bunch of selfish Americans who don't know what a good movie is. I do not feel sorry for them if they where bored because that's what they get. But getting to the actual film review. It was really good. The plot was excellent. Its about the magic and love of film making so if you love films then you wont be disappointed. The acting was super. All the actors had there own unique personalities. The chases in this movie actually supported the plot. I have never seen any other kids movie that every scene supported the plot. Don't forget about the writing, it was also really good. I would not recommend this film to children but to film lovers everywhere and to Martin Scorsese fans. Expand
  53. Dec 11, 2011
    Actually, I liked this film although I did find it initially rather slow going. I nodded off for a short time and then perked up. It is a visually attractive film which is very stylized. The combination of old Paris and the old silent films is totally a visual treat. The film has a wonderful cast including the classy Christopher Lee, Frances De La Tour and even a **** cameo by director Scorsese. I did find though that the Hugo character lacked personal charm. However, his co-star looked to me as if she was a young Kim Catrell. This one has more warmth than a usual Scorsese film which is a plus. Still, hard to beat The Departed which was totally brilliant! Expand
  54. Dec 10, 2011
    Hugo is a masterpiece of art and films that goes on the journey of 3D. The story is about the young boy who created the invention of mechanical man until he meets the old filmmaker who creates the entire movies of the early 1900's. The movie was based on the novel by Brian Selznick's 'The Invention of Hugo Cabret", and its a brilliant story that recreates the entire movies from the past, and I do enjoy both the novel and the movie. The characters are interesting to see and they did amazingly job on their roles. Like Papa Georges (Ben Kingsley), Young Hugo Cabret (Asa Butterfield), Isabelle (Chloe Grace Moretz from Kick-Ass), and Station Inspector (Sacha Baron Cohen). They did perfect job and especially Ben Kingsley who did so much job as the character who created movies since he did many roles that accomplish. These two children are good at this and I just the love the two children are working each other and they have good friends for having a sweet moments. The settings are great and the build-up is just phenomenal. The CG effects are wonderful to the background was in 3D with good atmosphere and the flash images are fantastic to see. Scorsese did wonderful job and the first time make this movie for children's book. Also, this movie treats to children like adults and the adults are fascinating to watch. I love this movie and its one of the best films of the year. Beautifully perfect film and Martin Scorsese was awesome! Expand
  55. Dec 10, 2011
    It's a fun and beautiful adventure - My wife and I with our four boys (ages 9, 12, 15, & 17) enjoyed it immensely. My fours boysâ
  56. Dec 10, 2011
    I felt that Hugo storyline was enchanting, the acting was really brilliant, and really was one of the best movies of the year. The best scenes occur in the second part of the movie, where you see Kingsley portray a man who's lived his dream and is now wading through life without a purpose. Hugo, the boy, is the catalyst of the movie and helps Kingsley's character heal himself as well as bring purpose to all characters in the film. Hugo brings so many positive elements together. Family, hopes, dreams, and purpose are all themes that are presented so beautifully here. Scorsese should be proud as well as everyone who participated in this movie! Expand
  57. Dec 10, 2011
    Some may interpret this as a children's film, but its artistry expands beyond that audience. It follows the adventures of a boy who lives in a Paris train station and has a fascination with all things mechanical. The plot and dialogue are minimal, making this an almost silent film. The visuals, on the other hand, are amazing. This is director Martin Scorsese's most stylishly inventive film and the 3D is spectacular. The story sinks a bit with his film restoration messages and this drags the pacing slightly, but the brilliance of a master filmmaker makes this a masterpiece. Expand
  58. Dec 9, 2011
    The main mystery in Hugo is one so lovingly unraveled that you are taken along for one of the most viscerally entertaining films of the year. Hugo tells the story of Hugo Cabret a young boy who lives in a train station in Paris following the death of his father and his subsequent taking in by his unpleasant uncle. When the film starts, Hugo has been along for a long stretch of time, his uncle having disappeared. He is slowly collecting spare parts to repair a machine left to him by his father but while doing so he is interrupted by many different characters coming through the station. It's a marvel of a film in the way its presented with long sweeping shots through station platforms and beautiful lobbies into the clock towers Hugo visits throughout the station. It just looks brilliant with the 3D being some of the finest I have seen since Avatar, possibly better.
    Scorsese has assembled a fantastic cast with Asa Butterfield giving a touching performance as Hugo as he desperately tries to fix the machine as he believes it may hold a message from his father. Chloe Moretz puts on a great British accent and performance as a young girl just looking for a good adventure. However the films finest performance has to be Ben Kingsley as the man who has lost everything in his life and has to live with the shame of it. The comparisons between him and Hugo are both tragic and intriguing. The film skillfully tells a tale not only of loss but of the early days of cinema with the best use of classic cinema like Voyage to the Moon I have ever seen. The comparison of the adventure that is Hugo to the adventure experienced by film makers in its early days is one shown skillfully and elegantly by some fantastic directing by one of the true greats of film making. With some great cameos by the likes of Christopher Lee, Richard Griffiths and a great "villain" in Sacha Baron Cohen it is an absolute joy to watch, a real film lovers film.
  59. Dec 8, 2011
    Hugo is something truly extraordinary. It's an emotionally provocative fantasy drama with timeless themes, a gorgeously sumptuous visual feast and perhaps most intriguingly, it's Martin Scorsese doing family entertainment. You have to tip your hat to the film's production designers - from the meticulous recreation of a 1930s Parisian train station (particularly the intricate and beautiful clock tower that serves as Hugo's sanctuary) to the little details on the numerous stalls that crowd its walkways, to the period costumes, all of which help to utterly enthrall you in Scorsese's film world, helped in no small measure by his use of 3-D. The cast all give exceptional performances, with the young lead Asa Butterfield giving a surprisingly mature, heartfelt performance, Chloe Grace Moretz continuing to prove herself to be one of the most talented and versatile actresses working today, and Sir Ben Kingsley's performance is understated but masterfully multi-layered. As is to be expected from any sort of period drama, the rest of the cast is filled out with the usual British thesps - from Richard Griffiths to Christopher Lee. Quite surprisingly, the person who most impressed was Sacha Baron Cohen as Inspector Gustav. Though he provides the majority of the comic relief for the film, his performance isn't simply exaggeration for the sake of it (like in Borat or Sweeney Todd) - you have to respect his talent as a serious actor for making Gustav a complex and understandable character, as he could have quite easily ended up as a 'Allo 'Allo! knock-off. Scorsese is a film buff, and he likes to show it - in addition to the engaging story and child-like wonder that Hugo provides, it also serves as a love-letter to films of the past, and could serve as a good starting point for someone not familiar with such masters as Harold Lloyd and Buster Keaton. That could be the most appealing aspect of Hugo - the huge variety of things it discusses. Yes, it's about an outsider finding his place in the world, yes, it's about looking back on your life and the pain of remembering missed opportunities, and yes, it's about growing up, but it's also a film about film. Scorsese has created something very personal to himself, but also something that will resonate with people the world over, perhaps for many years to come. Expand
  60. Dec 8, 2011
    Truly inspiration, and stunning. By far it easily tops "The Help" of Harry Potter and the deathly Hollows part 2." Watch out Oscars this could be the big winner
  61. Dec 5, 2011
    http://themuddoctor.blogspot.com/2011/12/hugo.html There are few other films that are overflowing with love as much as Hugo; love for film, for Paris, for family, and for its central characters. This is the gentlest work of Scorseseâ
  62. Dec 5, 2011
    Even though many people have said it before, this movie is a goddamned masterpiece. Finally, Martin Scorsese has returned to making art. Nothing against The Departed and Shutter Island, but if you want a more vivid display of Scorsese's brilliance, why not check Hugo out. It has nearly every ingredient that I could possibly become addicted to in here. The 3-D is used amazingly, the child acting is marvelous and the entire feel is warming, refreshing, mind-blowing and of course, it's brimming with life. Few films have managed to reenter the feeling that you recieve after discovering the majestic art of cinema. And Hugo is among those films. **** I love this movie. The more I think and talk about it, the more I want to see it. In 3-Dk, of course. It's magical and awe-some! Thank god Scorsese lives in this time Expand
  63. Nov 30, 2011
    At the risk of sounding clichè, the perfect word to describe this film is "magical". Every second is bursting with happiness, warmth and appreciation, not only for film, but for humankind as well. From a director who's given us something like "The Departed", to see a masterpiece at the COMPLETE opposite end of the spectrum is just remarkable. "Hugo" will be a classic for every Christmas season to come. Expand
  64. Nov 29, 2011
    Martin Scorsese has escaped from his comfort zone as a gangster movie manifesto, proven that he can make a children's film, and still keep up with the rapid change of movie making formats and technology. And he has done so successfully.

'Hugo' is Scorsese's first film shot entirely in 3-D. It also may be the best 3-D film ever made (Yes. Even better than Avatar).
  65. Nov 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a very good movie. It may not be as good as Star Wars, but it beats many other movies that I've seen. It has a very interesting plot, in which, the main character is trying to get a former director to believe in himself again. This director stated that he now hated creating movies, because after the Great War, (World War I) he threw all of his equipment away, and never went back to making movies. So now in the end, the director gave everything to a museum, and celebrated his movies. The dynamic characters in the story are very interesting as well. Everyone seems to change very much from beginning to end. The only real problem I have with this movie is that the beginning of it was slower than a Legend of Zelda game. I had no idea who any of these characters were, because at first, they weren't properly introduced until a short while later. However, the rest of this movie more than makes up for this shortcoming. Expand
  66. Nov 27, 2011
    Beautiful!!!!! a truly spellbinding classy epic oscar worthy film that is unforgettable and cannot be overhyped it is wonderful!!! S e e t h i s m o v i e ....it is important that you do.
  67. Nov 27, 2011
    A masterpiece. I was sucked in to the story from the first frame. Yes, it's visually stunning, but all at the service of the emotional truth of the characters. Never have I seen such complex technology so purely at the service of a deeply human story. The more you think about the film, the more you fine loops, parallels, connections and themes. The film exists completely on its own terms, yet evokes multiple classics as well, from "Rear Window" & "400 Blows" to "Amelie." Pacing is deliberate and some viewers, especially younger ones, may find it a little slow, but I was enthralled and only once was tempted to check the time. This is one of those movies that truly transports you to another world if you let it. If you resist, or somehow remain distant, yes, you'll be bored. But if you give yourself over to the movie - a feat I did not find difficult - you'll be richly rewarded.

And my all means, see it in 3D in a movie theater.
  68. Nov 27, 2011
    Very few movies hit me with emotional impact, when the movie is a visual masterpiece as well. Every visually gorgeous film I've seen, lacked storytelling, character, and depth. This movie was stunning, in every way. See "Hugo." It truly is, a masterpiece.
  69. Nov 27, 2011
    I saw this film with my 14-year-old daughter, who had read the book, and we both loved it. It felt like kind of a throwback to older, foreign films in a way -- the time period, photography, music, the movie's pacing. But the story itself was charming, sweet, sentimental -- not your usual Hollywood mashup of loud music, explosions, violence and quick cuts. It was quite different, and quite wonderful. We saw it again 2 days later and enjoyed it just as much. Expand
  70. Nov 27, 2011
    People complained the movie too slow and predictable. Maybe, but I don't think it was slow and it was predictable, but so what? Why do people want to think ahead instead of enjoy the part they are watching? The history of cinema, the heart and soul put behind this story, the life back then, the suffers that the young generation may never understand...It is beautifully weaved and the story telling is compelling, and the boy is one very talented actor! I enjoyed the movie thoroughly! It will become the classics of classics. A movie that pays tribute to the ones who walked before our time...I wish people who complains have more respects of the story this movie is trying to tell...it happens to be compelling and touching! Expand
  71. Nov 27, 2011
    Hugo was an inspiring film that made you believe once again in the magic of childhood. The mystery aspect of the film was a delight. It was filled with charm and wonder. The concept was fresh and the acting was great. The plot line was believable. I walked in to the theater wondering if I would really enjoy a film like this and came out thinking that it was great. It was family friendly and most importantly it conveyed its message well. The movie made you feel like you were a part of the world that the characters lived in. The film was beautiful and a treat to watch. It had its share of minor mistakes. It was a little bit long -2 hours and 6 minutes- and some of the film was unnecessary and could have been edited out. It was unexciting at times. Still, I would recommend it to anyone wanting to see a child friendly film that isnâ Expand
  72. Nov 27, 2011
    I found Hugo to be a lyrical, beautifully acted and filmed movie that addressed an array of human values through the eyes of a host of appealing characters. How appropriate that a movie about the early years of film making almost a century ago should have been so carefully crafted with today's amazing cinematic technologies. I saw it in 3D, which I think enhanced the actor's expressions and enhanced the intimacy of scene after scene.

When I realized that several scenes in the movie were grounded in scenes from early films that are shown, I smiled to myself and saluted Hugo's creators. As the movie closed the audience spontaneously applauded. My wife and I did as well. We are heading back next weekend.
  73. Nov 27, 2011
    The genius of Martin Scorsese film, and his stunning mastery of different genres of films in which an unattainable position on the Stanley Kubrick film that proved timeless. Hugo is a cinematic masterpiece and said that as a love letter to the Scorsese film, along with exemplary creativity in the use of 3D techniques is an achievement that is considered.
  74. Nov 26, 2011
    Hugo was a fantastic films. The 3D was well used. Unlike most movies today where they toss scenes in that just scream "Did we mention that this movie is in 3D?" The 3D really added depth perception that came in handy during the scenes that showed the movie sets. The acting is superb and very believable, partly due to it's stellar cast. All of the characters were great. There were no true "villains" in this movie, each had their own motives and perfectly reasonable reasons for the way they act. The story is well down. However the only downside to the story is how the just expose certain character's backstory's all at once. This is justified by the fact that if they didn't the movie will be 5 hours long. Personally I felt that this movie was better than the book. While the book was great, things seemed to flow more smoothly in the movie. Do not be fooled by the fact this movie was based on a book geared towards older kids and early teens. It is very deep and really plays with all of your emotions. If you go into this movie expecting this to be a simple childs film, you will leave the theater disappointed. While this movie isn't bad for children, they may not enjoy it as much as an older audience. The movie is very story driven with few action scenes. While the story may seem to lack direction at first, it all ties in at the end. You will have to be patient with this movie, don't expect everything to be layed out right away. Expand
  75. Nov 26, 2011
    I'm not sure the production company had any idea how to market this film. The trailer looks like a non-stop action thriller set in a train station, when in fact it is far slower but well-paced, and its best moments come away from the station. Ostensibly they're marketing it as a kids' film, and my seven year old did enjoy it, but adults, and especially Scorsese fans, will find deeper meaning as the old director gets to immerse himself in his love for movies and moviemaking. His fans know he had a sickly childhood, unable to engage in many activities kids his age did, and that he spent many hours watching movies. Ben Kingsley is Ben Kingsley, and that should say enough. A marvelous film for all ages. Expand
  76. Nov 26, 2011
    Hugo is a very cute and enjoyable film. Martin Scorsese brought the book to life. It showed very much suspense and even some laughs. I definitely agree with shibumi7126 that is was a very heart-felt film. Hugo is about a little brave boy who works at a train station in the clocks area where he finds this amazing robot that has the ability to do a lot of things along with an amazingly smart man (Ben Kingsley). This great picture is filled with amazing writing and amazement. Expand
  77. Nov 26, 2011
    Just a wonderful movie -- especially for those who love the silents. Great performances -- especially by two youngsters and a charming, well written story. Yes, it has a "hollywood ending," but they still have a place. Go and enjoy!
  78. Nov 25, 2011
    Hugo was such a beautiful movie. The level mystery in the beginning left you wondering where this movie was going. The satisfaction of learning alongside Hugo as to where the story takes you leaves your heart touched with happiness and inspiration.
  79. Nov 24, 2011
    I am very torn about this film, as I think it contains some really bad directing by a great director. Ouch. On the other hand, once the film finds its pace and leads to its lovely conclusion I found myself deeply moved. It is not just a piece of fluffy entertainment, and yet it is very entertaining. Admittedly
  80. Nov 24, 2011
    A wonderful movie for all ages. Beautiful art direction, and score. Hugo is not what I thought it would be, but it was something better. A story about french cinema, on protecting it through the years. The movie plays out slowly but great. The opening sequence was marvelous, as it sets up for the rest of the movie. This movie should be walking away with some Oscars come February.
  81. Nov 24, 2011
    I'm not sure if Mick Ock even saw the same movie I did. He claims that the "stuff about cinema" is only 20 minutes or so, when in reality it took up the entire second half of the movie (just over an hour). Hugo is a touching, heart-felt movie, if you have the intelligence to get it.
  82. Nov 23, 2011
    If you go into this movie thinking of the types of standard movies with typical humor and childish bravado, then don't waste your money on a ticket. This movie requires you to look into your heart, mind, and soul and realize you are going to be transported back to the way movies used to be when we returned multiple times to the theatre to witness them over and over. Hugo is a masterpiece of a movie for anyone who remembers the nostalgia of going to the cinema. Martin Scorsese has proven once again that he can obtain flawless acting out of anyone including sasha baron cohen who makes you forget about borat and bruno with an intricate performance as the inspector. All in all this movie is a refreshing respite from the repetitve fare that hollywood has become known for this century. Expand
  83. Nov 23, 2011
    Having seen over 4,000 films in my life, while I'm not a critic, I do think I can say, without hesitation or reservation, that The American Film Institute now has a new movie to place in the top 10 greatest films of all time, Hugo.
  84. Nov 23, 2011
    This movie was genious!!! It did everything a movie needs to do to be a family friendly suspence mystery. The characters were very fasinating, the plot was both well thought out and well played out, and the message was both audvious and insightful. It taught that every human being has a purpose. If you feel like you lost your purpose, you feel like a broken robot that can't do anything. The truth is, every human being is on this earth for a reason. Expand
  85. Nov 23, 2011
    Guys this time the critics are on a right track the movie far more best classic movie of one of the great director of our time Martin Scorsese. It it is the best adventure movie of our time and whats in bonus its an awesome joy-full adventure for all ages. Its a full family entertainer. So go and watch the movie and uncover the secret of Hugo Cabret.

1. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Nov 29, 2011
    Although a nip and a tuck here and there might improve Hugo's overall pace, there is no denying that this love letter to the movies is something to cherish.
    For all the wizardry on display, Hugo often feels like a film about magic instead of a magical film.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Nov 28, 2011
    Visually Hugo is a marvel, but dramatically it's a clockwork lemon.