7.5

1. Mar 2, 2014
    when i saw this it was boring and something that isnt enjoyable . Wow martin scoresse why would you make a film like this . it is boring , it is Sh***t
  2. Jan 30, 2014
    ''A Masterpiece.'' ''Spectacular!'' The Best use of 3D. Martin Scorsese shows his love of Film-making. One of the Best Films of 2000's. A New Masterpiece of the millennium. One of the most important film you're ever going to see. You won't see anything like Hugo.
  3. Jan 23, 2014
    Martin Scorsese is one of my all time favorite directors and this movie was good,
    i liked the visuals and the plot, and i like the details about movie making and all that stuff,
    however i didn't like the way this movie addresses it's audience,
    it seems as the story was for kids not for adults, come on if you seen it, you'll know what I'm talking about
    that's my only problem with this movie.
  4. Jan 7, 2014
    Uma homenagem ao cinema de uma grandeza fenomenal.
  5. Dec 4, 2013
    I was expecting to be dazzled by Hugo, as critics across the board praised the movie and it won several Oscars for its achievements in cinematography and art design. However, Hugo let me down. The massive praise clearly stems from its purpose, a mushy love letter to the art of cinema. The acting is perpetually bland, the effects were underwhelming, and the story isn't as endearing as several other 2011 releases. Hugo is not a bad film, and I do enjoy some moments. But when people cite Hugo as a year-defining film and an instant classic, I can't help but disagree. Hugo is a decent family movie, but does nothing new or inspiring other than glorify Hollywood. In the end, it's a sweet and simple appetizer for all the delicious cinematic entrees 2011 had to serve.

Follow me on twitter. @cbeers2513
  6. Nov 28, 2013
    A nice movie you can watch with your whole family. The main negative parts are: Main character's acting is dull and the movie could be shorter (its 126 min.) When or If you watch it fully, you will understand how come it earned 5 Oscars.
  7. Oct 22, 2013
    Hugo is one of Scorcese's best films in the 21st century, and delivers a combination of magic, expert moviemaking, and a great, talented cast. Sacha Baren Cohen strays from his usual "crazy foreigner" performance for a quiet, shy one. Asa Butterfield is amazing, and has a pretty good amount of potential for the future. Chloe Grace Moretz is amazing, as always, and Ben Kingsley gives an Oscar-worthy performance that is enjoyable as well as sturdy. You have to see this movie for yourself to soak up every little magical thing about it. Just the way it progresses, and the dialogue spoken is a feat almost irreplaceable. Expand
  8. Aug 19, 2013
    Hugo tells the story of young Hugo Cabret and his journey to try and find a message from his late father. Scorsese uses great imagery with vibrant colors to throughout the film giving the entire film a bright and hopeful view on life. However in spite of this view of a brighter and ore hopeful life the colors sometimes distract, finding yourself looking more at the old and attractive architecture in comparison to what is occurring on the screen.

The story of Hugo is a roller-coaster of ride where at one point the story is just but Hugo trying to find a message from his father after his tragic loss. Then the story quickly adapts to a journey of discovery and to rekindling people's dreams.

Sacha Baron Cohen is hilarious in this film, from his in chase scenes to his failures at attempting to secure a lover. Cohen plays the simpler minded police officer whose confusion in conversation is leads to bags of laughter. Moretz delivers an incredible performs as the twelve year old, Isabelle who lives to read the great novels of the day and who is already up for an adventure.

However despite the strong performances from the entire cast the film Hugo fails to keep the attention of the audience, apart from the funny Cohen or strong lines of dialogue delivered by an incredible cast can’t bring the film back from the rather dull narrative that is the plot of Hugo.

Unfortunately a film that had so much going for it, an incredible cast, director and writer. The film fails to entertain past the usual slapstick humor of a children’s film. Despite this the visuals of the film is stunning which I suppose is an upside if you aren’t easily distracted by grand architecture then this will be a major upside to your cinematic experience.

In hindsight I will remember Hugo but not for it’s narrative I will remember it for it’s stunning visuals and superb acting, but I do not think that this is a film which I will remember with fond memories or frankly even remember at all. In hindsight this is not a film I would likely watch again.

I would like to reiterate that my score is nothing against the acting. Moretz and Bohen were great. My score is more against the story and the general feel of the film.
  9. Jul 10, 2013
    Nice, cute, Hugo is a nice film and a bit tedious and um, hilarious in itself. Its too long though and it was extended. Though its good it won a few Oscars, though its kind of odd
  10. Jul 8, 2013
    A film made ​​for all that we relive so exciting and moving love for cinema. In addition to having an interesting plot is also technically perfect. A photograph crazy, bright and dark in the station instead of in the streets of Paris and a setting that is able to represent in a realistic manner as the Paris of the '30s and special effects really sensational. One thing that surprised me was the absolute 3D. The best I've ever seen so far. A movie film that manages to make you dream and makes us understand the love for cinema. Expand
  11. Jul 7, 2013
    Hugo is one of movies of Martin Scorsese I love ,because it tell the story of the first studio of cinema and George Méliése .
    the movie respects the story of the book
  12. Jun 20, 2013
    Martin Scorsese's love letter to film is near flawless, visually fantastic, and characters that connected very well to each other and the audience. The special effects were perfectly utilized and were tributary to Georges Méliès and his revolutionary special effects. This was Scorsese's first children's movie and possibly the work closest to his heart. It is a children's movie in that it made me feel like a child again, restoring wonder and marvel to the world of film and the real world at once. The movie also connects parallels between mechanics, literature, and film-making. Expand
  13. Jun 19, 2013
    A visually stunning experience that any film fan will love to see. Not only does the film have characters that you connect with, but it will have you totally invested in the journey back to the an earlier time in movie history.
  14. Jun 11, 2013
    I didn't really like this film. It was too long and boring, lame. I didn't get the message of that movie and i didn't even bother to look for it through the internet or watch the movie again. A waste of my time.
  15. May 15, 2013
    This movie suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkksssssssssssssssssssssssss. I am a professional movie critic.
  16. May 15, 2013
    I didn't read the book so I don't know if its properly ported, but the movie is... omg.
    It's been years since I have to stop watching a movie and this had even Oscars behind it.
    The girl is extremely painful and the main character is even worse.
    I'm not trying to be troll. I'm just saying that, for me, it's an incredible bored movie.
  17. Apr 25, 2013
    Hugo is directed by either Spielberg or Scorsese. I think it's Scorsese, but it felt like Spielberg. The film even had some John Williams-style big music, composed by Howard Shore (yeah, that's right! the saxophone player from the band Lighthouse!)

This fantasy is about a boy who lives in the walls of a Paris train station. Not since The Legend of 1900 have I heard of anything this
    screwy. Inside these walls are the guts of the station's clocks. The guts consist of cogs, gears, counterweights, pinions, springs, and inexplicably steam.

During the course of the film, we learn that Hugo is the dude that built C3PO (or some C3PO prototype). C3PO reveals to Hugo that the local old grump (played by Ben Kingsley) is in fact a forerunner to movie wizards like Spielsese or Scorberg.

Anyway, I saw this movie in regular old boring 2D. I didn't realize it was a 3D film until the scene where some pages with drawings go flying from the kids' hands and drift all over the screen. At first I was thinking, "What the hell is this all about? Am I supposed to be mesmerized by fluttering stationery?" Then I realized that this was intended to be seen in super-duper 3D. "Ahh," I thought, "Now I see. Ooooh, that would have been so cool to see all that paper flying around in 3D." We haven't witnessed anything like this in cinematic history since the famous bolo-bat scene in the 1953 film House of Wax.

Hugo does a lot of hiding and running, primarily from a train station cop played by Sacha Baron Cohen. Cohen's character is an amalgam of Inspectors Javert and Clouseau. He and his trusty Doberman Pinscher cannot seem to track down the elusive boy who knows the station and its walls like the inner workings of an automaton. During one climactic scene, Hugo gives the Inspector the slip by doing a Harold Lloyd impression from a clock tower.

Once the Inspector catches up with Hugo, they have a talk. During the conversation, the little urchin makes the Inspector laugh. The Inspector tells him that he's funny. Hugo then says, "I'm funny how? I mean funny like I'm a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to f____n' amuse you? What do you mean funny? Funny how? How am I funny? What the f__k is so funny about me? Tell me, tell me what's funny!"

Wait a minute. I might me confused. That dialog might be from a different movie a real Scorcese film.

All in all, Hugo isn't such a bad movie. But in retrospect, I think I would have preferred watching the Harold Lloyd film, Safety Last.
  18. Apr 6, 2013
    Hugo is a well made movie from one of the best directors of all time: Martin Scorsese. I read the book too and the movie and the book where very good. The actors are good and the plot is good too. Hugo is a beautiful family film who everyone needs to see.
  19. Mar 16, 2013
    It`s an interesting film, It was kind of slow at times but has a good message. I like the music and time of this movie, it adds a nice feel to it. I kind of wanted more from the movie but it`s worth watching.
  20. Jan 11, 2013
    Well there goes two hours of my life I'm not getting back. Many others have nailed what's wrong here; it's too long, there's almost no plot, the acting is weak, there are glacier size holes in the story, trite characterizations, exposition is the main source of dialogue, I could go on. Yes, it's beautifully shot, but we go to movies to see ourselves through the characters portrayed. If we only wanted beauty, we could go to the beach, or a park. The filmmaker (George Milies) in the film became a has-been because once the novelty of moving pictures wore off (a train! Special effects!) the audience craved rich, complex characters overcoming seemingly impossible odds to acheive their goals. The Director of Hugo forgot that.

It's much much easier to criticize than it is to create a movie start to finish. And yet, we as Scorcese's audience deserve to see him use his awesome power and budgets in the service of great characters in a great story, and not in talking down to us. The ten-year old in me is disappointed.
  21. Jan 6, 2013
    This movie is a wonderful imagination land that combines innocent childhood and a love letter to cinema.
    It is fun, pretty and enthrall you till the end. But most of all it is accurate related to Papa Gorge's life
  22. Jan 4, 2013
    Not often does a film truly find its feet when its basis and plot is, well, film.
    Hugo centres on the extraordinarily rollercoaster life of the title character, adapted from the book "The Tale of Hugo Cabret", we see this small boy (Asa Butterfield) living within the walls of the Gare Montparnasse train station in Paris in an early 1930s France. Hugo keeps the clocks running within the
    station, unbeknownst to everyone else. We soon meet the brilliantly diverse Sir Ben Kingsley, who really catapults himself into the role of toy stall owner 'Papa' Georges, named so by his goddaughter Isabelle, played by the coming-of-age Chloë Moretz. With a rather humorous supporting role from Sacha Baron Cohen as the station inspector, and brief appearances from Jude Law, Richard Griffths, Ray Winstone, Christopher Lee, Helen McCrory and Emily Mortimer, this has an ensemble cast which are used to their fulll potential.
    The cinematography at work here is truly beautiful, from the fluid motion of the train station walls to small pieces within Paris, the visual effects truly are spectacular, from the set pieces of the train station to the hand of the large clock.
    Perhaps the most enjoyable part of this film is the emotional rollercoaster that Martin Scorcese takes us on. This could very well be his most heart-wrenchingly beautiful film to date, he appears to have poured moments from his own life into the 120+ minute ride. With the history of film and moving pictures at play here, it truly is a trip down memory lane for some, but a valuable and entertaining history lesson for most. My pick for the stand alone performance has to be Sir Ben Kingsley, he soars to a different height in his diverse role as a down on his luck old man, I could really watch this man all day, everyday. The nostalgic setting and era used as the backdrop for the film is spot on, providing glimpses of the fast paced motion of technology in the early 20th Century, in particular the automaton, a glorious addition to this tale, one which sets in motion the basis for the film.
    Hugo is quite simply a must-watch film, superb acting, wonderful effects, a riveting and thoroughly entertaining story that really is suitable for all ages, see it to believe it!
  23. Dec 29, 2012
    A pretty film in blue-ray, and one of few movies a parent can take a kid to without the inevitable F-bomb. Entertaining but slow to the point and a bit overacted.
  24. Dec 22, 2012
    Best cinematography of all time not to mention crazy visual effects. I thought this movie would have action but instead it had mind blowing screenplay and adrenaline pumping suspense. The one thing preventing this from being a 10 is that it was just barely to slow for me especially for a PG movie. But just barely.
  25. Dec 6, 2012
    Wonderful. A joyous and magical experience. Nominated for 11 Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director. Asa Butterfield and Chloe Moretz are child actors to keep an eye on.
  26. Nov 28, 2012
    Technically immaculate and successful at reaching deep into any cinephile's heart and plucking at his heart strings, "Hugo" is a clear treat.
  27. Sep 3, 2012
    A great experience in sound and vision. 'Hugo' deserved all 5 Academy Awards it won, but not more. Asa Butterfield was very disappointing, for my opinion he should only play in horror movies in young age. Also the dialogues are sometimes faint and the whole story is extremely predictable. It mixes the love to inventions with the love to the cinema. The plot is slightly boring and only the hunting scenes with Sacha Baron Cohen are really exciting. All in all a well-made homage to the initation of films, which disappointed me here and there and will definitely be boring for kids! Expand
  28. Aug 22, 2012
    2011 in film saw two very successful films depicting forgotten ages of cinema. I speak of course, of Hugo and The Artist. The story-lines weaved within this film may be confusing for some, but for the right individual Hugo is a rare film that is both charming and full of illusion. Simply put, Hugo is easily the best film of 2011 and should be considered among the great films of the 3-D era.
  29. Aug 4, 2012
    Although Hugo was not very entertaining, it was a good mystery/drama that was actually very inspiring. It is the best movie that has come out in a long time. I wonder what the world would be like if everyone was like Hugo.
  30. Jul 26, 2012
    This movie was quite falsely advertised. All these commercials saying "This movie is the greatest movie of ALL TIME...Magical...enthralling..." It wasn't that good whatsoever. This is nothing close to enthralling. The most exhilarating part was when the main character was running from a security guard. Hugo is repetitive, slow, and didn't appeal to me WHATSOEVER. It was visually entertaining, as the setting was interesting and the gears were a nice touch, but I still didn't like the movie. Not recommended. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Nov 29, 2011
    Although a nip and a tuck here and there might improve Hugo's overall pace, there is no denying that this love letter to the movies is something to cherish.
    For all the wizardry on display, Hugo often feels like a film about magic instead of a magical film.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Nov 28, 2011
    Visually Hugo is a marvel, but dramatically it's a clockwork lemon.