Humpday

6.8

1. Norm
    Jul 10, 2009
    It occurred to me as the unrealistic story of Humpday rolled out that the feelings I was having are probably similar to the feelings women have had watching movie after movie made by men attempting to portray how women approach sex and relationships. There is just no way the idea propelling this plot would get as far down the road as Seattle writer/director Lynn Shelton wants us to It occurred to me as the unrealistic story of Humpday rolled out that the feelings I was having are probably similar to the feelings women have had watching movie after movie made by men attempting to portray how women approach sex and relationships. There is just no way the idea propelling this plot would get as far down the road as Seattle writer/director Lynn Shelton wants us to believe. Not much rang true so for me no emotional involvement, no empathy and not much enjoyment. The characters and story are based in Seattle but the city is not a factor. Expand

1. One of the best indie films of the year, Humpday is a lighter descendant of "sex lies and videotape," yet burrows just as deep into the male psyche and the human capacity for self-deceit.
  2. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    May not be the single best movie I've seen so far this year--though it's certainly a contender for the title--but it's without doubt the most surprising.
  3. Reviewed by: Cammila Albertson
    The movie does open up a lot of heretofore vacuum-sealed cans of worms. Does sex represent a sort of grand completeness that men secretly yearn for in their friendships?