I Am Legend

7.1

1. NigelM.
    Jun 2, 2008
    Terrible rip-off of 28 days later with 10 times the budget, but none of the atmosphere. The script is clunking, Will Smith has none of his usual charm and the CGI ruins it completely. There are some nonsensical bits of talking to shop dummies, which were unintentionally comical, but mostly this is just a dull re-hash of very tired post-world- destruction themes done without flare or imagination.
  2. Feb 4, 2012
    Will Smith is an especially popular actor who makes particularly bad movies. He is usually serviceable in his performance, but never any good. This film is a remake of the far more enigmatic and entertaining B-movie from the 1970s, Will Smith walks around abandoned Manhattan and tries to survive against heavily CGI vampires. There is no villain. There are no great action sequences. ThereWill Smith is an especially popular actor who makes particularly bad movies. He is usually serviceable in his performance, but never any good. This film is a remake of the far more enigmatic and entertaining B-movie from the 1970s, Will Smith walks around abandoned Manhattan and tries to survive against heavily CGI vampires. There is no villain. There are no great action sequences. There aren't any great lines. It's actually boring. The only part of the movie that was somewhere good was the opening sequence where the US Military has to shoot down the Brooklyn Bridge to quarantine Manhattan because the plague is starting. But that part had nothing to do with the rest of the movie. Expand
  3. Oct 1, 2011
    This movie failed to keep my attention. Not only that the movie became very unrealistic. I watched this movie as it was rated as a vampire movie but it clearly was not.
  4. MickD.
    Jan 11, 2008
    Worst movie I've seen this year. The quality of Smith's and Sandy's acting was made redundant in my opinion; there are so many holes in the plot it beggars belief. The zombies' depiction is mostly to blame for this because- [***SPOILER***] 1) They haven't the brains to appreciate Smith is trying to cure them, BUT they are able to capture him in an elaborate Worst movie I've seen this year. The quality of Smith's and Sandy's acting was made redundant in my opinion; there are so many holes in the plot it beggars belief. The zombies' depiction is mostly to blame for this because- [***SPOILER***] 1) They haven't the brains to appreciate Smith is trying to cure them, BUT they are able to capture him in an elaborate mannequin hoax/rope loop operation. 2) They are most enthusiastic in their efforts to devour Smith, but are miraculously overpowered by a small South American woman and her son when Will finally loses it and goes Kamikaze. 3) Despite having an insatiable appetite, they regularly overlook the option of eating each other. To be fair, as many friends have pointed out, most of the movies that would appear to have inspired I Am Legend adopt a similar policy of anti-cannibalism amongst zombie societies (28 Days Later, Omega Man), but I personally still view it as an inexplicable flaw. The movie progresses from predictably dull, usually unnecessary confrontations with the locals to nauseating dogmatic metaphor, which includes a cringe-inducing 'argument' between Smith and Anna, in which our hero rejects all hope and reiterates his own personal belief that God is in fact Bob Marley. This confuses Anna enormously since, as she's already tried to explain, she doesn't actually know who Bob Marley is. She goes on to wonder if he's any relation of Damian, thus destroying her own credibility, and any presumed didacticism intended by the movie. Positive points? Hard to find any. The setting was well thought out, New York did look fairly eerie, all overgrown and deserted like it was. The soundtrack was ok, I guess. And the actual concept itself is genius, in my opinion. Sure, its been done before, but I genuinely jumped everytime a zombie showed up; despite its predictability, it will get the heart rate up. They're loud, ugly and notoriously light-footed (when they want to be) and, as such, the debate over the quality of the special effects can be overlooked if necessary. The mediocrity of the movie however, can not. Horrible dialogue, awful plot and sickeningly sanctimonious. Give this one a miss. Expand
  5. TonyB.
    Apr 4, 2008
    A tremendous production design is just about its only virtue...surprisingly boring in spots.
  6. MaxM.
    Dec 10, 2007
    Do yourself a favor and don't go see it. I wasted 100 minutes of my life watching Will Smith walking through his house, dating dummies, and driving his van around the city.
  7. Aug 26, 2013
    I was not impressed with "I Am Legend". It is sad and a little boring. My family loves this movie, but Will Smith's role fell flat. Emotional people should not watch this.
  8. ChrisW.
    Jan 3, 2008
    Don't waste your time... In what could have been the greatest movie of this generation... Hollywood and it's money hungry studios ruined it! The absolute, by far, worst CG in a movie since Jumangi. there is nothing more fake than those rabid dogs! This movie was a joke! Will Smith's performance was laughable and deplorable. Although, Sam the dog should win an oscar. That Don't waste your time... In what could have been the greatest movie of this generation... Hollywood and it's money hungry studios ruined it! The absolute, by far, worst CG in a movie since Jumangi. there is nothing more fake than those rabid dogs! This movie was a joke! Will Smith's performance was laughable and deplorable. Although, Sam the dog should win an oscar. That was the greastest dog performance since Lassie. Expand
  9. BrianH.
    Apr 2, 2008
    Wow, I wasn't expecting too much and it was even worse than I thought. Every 10 minutes something happens in the script that just baffles me. Pure Hollywood trash and Will Smith is just playing himself again. barf.
  10. LiefS.
    Jan 3, 2008
    horrible cg and ur usual will smith singing along to bob marley moments. the opening scene with the empty time square was the best done part of the movie, if your into movies like these, instead of looking at cgi i-robots with skin, watch 28 days or weeks later, they r both lightyears ahead of this film
  11. Paul
    Jan 3, 2008
    The fact that the producers of this film changed the end from that of the book show that they have no understanding of it and so render this film utterly pointless. Such a waste. Also hearing such a wonderful book compared to excrement such as 28 days later should be painful to anyone who has actually read it.
  12. alkebulanp
    May 29, 2009
    A total waste of smith's talent. ur basic night creatures from hell re-make w little imagination or creativity on display. too many scenes filmed in near total darkness, but then, there's little illumination in the entire film.
  13. JohnJ.
    Dec 12, 2007
    I cannot believe people think that Will Smith can act. He is ridiculous in this movie. Being in shape and being able to run at lot, does not mean one can act. Get a grip. I thought it'd be exciting and cuting edge like Children of Men was last year, but it was so lame. If you've seen the trailer, don't waste your time, that's better than the movie.
  14. RubinM.
    Dec 17, 2007
    The movie sucked. Its a good thing that didn't paid for it. But, either way I spent 90min of my life watching this stupid movie, therefore, I'm thinking about seeking some sort of reparation from Paramount Pictures.
  15. willsucks
    Dec 19, 2007
    What a stinker , not worth a penny to go see . I was so bored , yawn not even worth my review.
  16. DominickM
    Dec 29, 2007
    bad CGI bad acting terrible story
  17. MP
    Dec 30, 2007
    Ok up until three quarters of the way through. Then, it just looses its bottle. Why don't people maiking these 'films based on a book' stick to the original narrative more closely. Don't waste you money on going to the cinema to watch this, buy the book instead its a million and one times better!
  18. lulufry
    Jan 13, 2008
    boring, illogical movie with a pompous title. total swiss cheese. stole my money.
  19. ChrisJ.
    Jan 17, 2008
    Been there, Seen that bought the T-Shirt.This type of material has been done before only better by Danny Boyle in 28 Days Later. The comments that this movie doesn't know what it wants to be are right on the money and this movie is confusing and not well explained even with the countless number of flashbacks.
  20. JohnN
    Jan 22, 2008
    This movie was pretty lacking. You want to like it - but ultimately it's actually worst of breed. Bag CGI. Bad Resolution. Bad character development. Lots of missed opportunities. Very much like the remake of the planet of the apes. A total miss - and it made a gazillion dollars, so get ready for more of these empty-focus tested remakes that nobody wants to see after they watch it This movie was pretty lacking. You want to like it - but ultimately it's actually worst of breed. Bag CGI. Bad Resolution. Bad character development. Lots of missed opportunities. Very much like the remake of the planet of the apes. A total miss - and it made a gazillion dollars, so get ready for more of these empty-focus tested remakes that nobody wants to see after they watch it once. People really wanted to like this. Expand
  21. AndyB.
    Mar 25, 2008
    I give it a 2 just because I finished the movie. The Director of this movie, previously was a music video maker. Proof that Hollywood knows how to market and rip off the consumer, throw Will Smith into a movie, make some cool movie posters and one-liners keep it PG-13 so the underage can consume it and some cool previews and your gonna make money. This movie started pretty cool, but was I give it a 2 just because I finished the movie. The Director of this movie, previously was a music video maker. Proof that Hollywood knows how to market and rip off the consumer, throw Will Smith into a movie, make some cool movie posters and one-liners keep it PG-13 so the underage can consume it and some cool previews and your gonna make money. This movie started pretty cool, but was crap after the first half. Left a lot of things unexplained, didn't play up the zombies at all. The zombies looked like something out of Shrek the CG stuff, just didn't do it. This whole movie was an identity crisis. Didn't know what it wanted to be, should it be a moralistic, allegory, or a end of the world horror flick, or both? Never figured it out. I wanted to like it, but my gut was right on this one. No good. Expand
  22. Mobius
    Mar 31, 2008
    Good points: Smith and the dog manage to hold the film together and give a believable performance of being alone in the city. Bad Points: Awful CGI infected creatures. having Faith in god pushed in your face. Oh did i mention crap CGI Animation.
  23. jackv
    Oct 12, 2009
    Awful, I liked smith in fresh prince and all his wacky nonsense movies such as Wild Wild West and Men in Black, but after this an I, Robot, he needs to be run out of Hollywood by a torch carrying mob. A monstrosity of a film that dishonors another great book.
  24. MrAgnostos
    Feb 18, 2010
    Am I the only one who noticed the striking religious theme? Christian allegory and themes run through this movie and as a non-religious person, this instantly put me off the it. Science is the catalyst that triggers mankind's demise, sure, but it's also increasingly apparent that the DarkSeekers or whatever theyre called, are almost inevitable consequences of modern living. Will Am I the only one who noticed the striking religious theme? Christian allegory and themes run through this movie and as a non-religious person, this instantly put me off the it. Science is the catalyst that triggers mankind's demise, sure, but it's also increasingly apparent that the DarkSeekers or whatever theyre called, are almost inevitable consequences of modern living. Will Smith, our saviour, has fallen out with God, though he essentially 'sees the light' near the end. The light and dark themes are biblical. The woman and boy who see out the movie and christian, and practically the final scene of the movie is of a church, bells ringing... theres plenty more, but like C.S. Lewis' books, once I discovered their true nature as a child, I was just instantly put off. Expand
  25. TerryC.
    Dec 10, 2007
    The point is totally missed, Will Smith plays in a clunky execution that is complexity plotted.
  26. RogerM.
    Dec 14, 2007
    This is most likely the worst movie I've ever paid to watch. Everything is stretched to insane boredom. It's totally fiction, and why the "hero" have to end up as he did, escapes my wit. Nothing worth mentioning in this movie. Unless you buy the evangelical twist at the end. I wouldn't have seen this through if I went alone. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.
  27. PedroJunior
    Dec 14, 2007
    It's NOT a performance if you're acting like yourself! Didn't the Kevin Costner experiment teach us anything?
  28. JasminW.
    Dec 15, 2007
    Week plot, poor logic, cheap scare instead of real suspense. Not worth the $9 or $10 bucks to see this movie in the theater. Don't bring your girlfriends to this movie as a date. I saw several couples walked out on this one.
  29. PHB.
    Dec 16, 2007
    Horrible ending. If ruined the other 2/3s of the movie for me. Did it remind anybody of the wicked terrible ending to the movie "Signs"?
  30. MovieCritic
    Dec 16, 2007
    Horrible, noisy. This is film is a crude advertisement for medical products and services, by its scary dramatization of "virus epidemics", extending the theme of the earlier film, "28 Days", however, "28 Days" was skillfully done and entertaining. "I Am Legend" is garbage. From now on, just seeing Will Smith's face in an interview sends me into shock. This film is the epidemic.
  31. LewisP.
    Dec 16, 2007
    First of all, I was wondering how the female survivor and her son were able to get out of NYC so easily at the end of the movie. If she drove her car maybe she would have taken the Henry Hudson Parkway to the Bronx and then upstate. But wait a second--if the Army blew up the Brooklyn Bridge in order to prevent people from leaving Manhattan, wouldn't they have blown up all the First of all, I was wondering how the female survivor and her son were able to get out of NYC so easily at the end of the movie. If she drove her car maybe she would have taken the Henry Hudson Parkway to the Bronx and then upstate. But wait a second--if the Army blew up the Brooklyn Bridge in order to prevent people from leaving Manhattan, wouldn't they have blown up all the bridges? So how did the two get to the "colony"? Maybe she was able to drive the car on to the Staten Island Ferry and figure out how to operate it (if you believe a ridiculous scenario like that, you probably rated this movie a "10"). There were other things in "I am Legend" that I found to be too incredible to be believable. For example, when we first meet the mutants, they don't seem intelligent enough to hatch a plan to do anything except bite people. But toward the end, they seem to be organized with a leader, capable of going after Will Smith. And how did they figure out where Will Smith was living? All of a sudden they have such great intelligence? If they had such capabilities, why didn't they track Will Smith (in his home) earlier? Even if one was engrossed by the first two Acts of this script (and I certainly wasn't) , Act 3 fell apart completely. Will Smith is so depressed because he has no one to talk to and when he finally meets the female survivor and her son, instead of being overwhelmingly happy that he's no longer alone and can talk to somebody, he ends up almost immediately arguing with her about the existence of the 'colony'. The chemistry between the two is almost non-existent and the writers attempt to 'humanize' Will Smith by giving him some lame lines about how he likes reggae music. And what about that scene where Will Smith is so depressed that he decides to play a game of kill-the-mutants with his car. I couldn't tell if this was one of Will Smith's dream sequences but if it wasn't, it didn't make a hell of a lot of sense. Here's a guy who's been spending all his time trying to save humanity by finding a vaccine that will transform the mutants and after he loses his dog, he goes to the trouble of setting up floodlights at the base of the Brooklyn Bridge and (for kicks) tries to kill as many mutants as he can. Was he trying to commit suicide or was it the director's decision to (awkwardly) place the hero in jeopardy and get him out of it? If it was still night out, how was Will Smith able to drive home in the dark without being attacked by a horde of mutants? Most unimpressive were the flashback scenes explaining how the virus wiped out humanity. There's no buildup, no tension whatsoever. Within a few hours, the virus has infected most people in Manhattan and they're all trying to escape. The movie would have been much more compelling if the infection was gradual and we saw how people coped with the transformation of their neighbors. Some reviewers have praised the film for its 'inspirational message'. In true 'faith-based' Christian fashion, it was God who told the female survivor that there was a colony in upstate New York (or was it Pennsylvania, I can't remember). But God takes a backseat when it comes to 'faith' in this movie. Rather it's "science" that's elevated to the status of true religion. "I am Legend" echoes the mantra which we've been hearing since the 50s that "science" somehow holds the key to solving our most unsolvable problems and allaying our deepest fears. The whole idea that a virus can in a matter of a few weeks (or even days or hours) can infect and destroy humankind is laughable. Even more laughable is that some scientist can come up with a "cure" in the form of a mysterious "vaccine" to reverse the effects of such a contagion. In reality, when people get sick from some kind of 'disease', it doesn't happen overnight. It usually takes years before symptoms manifest themselves. 'Scientists' have been trying to find a 'cure' for cancer for years and always boast that they're one step away from discovering the elusive clue. The same goes for the pie-in-the-sky stem cell research which has been touted as a potential panacea for most diseases. I'll believe more in I am Legend's mutants before I believe in stem cell researchers enabling paralytics to walk again! "I am Legend" has a few good special effects and that's why I give the film 3 stars. But even those cuddly mutants become tiresome after awhile. As for Will Smith--he was far superior in "I, Robot" which at least had a fairly engrossing story. If you like Zombie movies coupled with pseudo-religious pontification, then I am Legend might be for you. Otherwise, exercise your brain by reading a book (non-fiction would be most preferable after coping with one shrieking zombie after another). Expand
  32. JS
    Dec 17, 2007
    Note that the top four ratings for this film are all from New York sources. Take those out, and the movie scores much lower.
  33. JoeB.
    Dec 17, 2007
    A bore. I agree Will Smith is a fine actor, but he is terribly miscast in this feature. I believe Robert Downey Jr would have been a much better choice. This is essentially a one man show, and requires a very interesting personality to pull it off. Smith is a consummate leading man, but like all leading men - strong silent and not super deep. That is what we require of our leading men. A bore. I agree Will Smith is a fine actor, but he is terribly miscast in this feature. I believe Robert Downey Jr would have been a much better choice. This is essentially a one man show, and requires a very interesting personality to pull it off. Smith is a consummate leading man, but like all leading men - strong silent and not super deep. That is what we require of our leading men. This story forces the main character to struggle against survival, a fight to find a cure, and to stave off his own insanity. That role calls for a much more multi-dimensional actor. I was hoping "legend" would either get eaten by lions, or mauled by vampires. by 30 minutes into the film, I was ready for him to loose. Expand
  34. CharlieM.
    Dec 26, 2007
    I thought it was terrible, yes the CGI and effects were really quite good, but the plot and the ending were terrible. I would not recommend it.
  35. GayleL.
    Dec 28, 2007
    Not much dialogue here! Just a silly zombie movie. Boring....and disappointing.
  36. AC
    Dec 18, 2008
    I've seen all 3 of the "I am Legend" movies and it seems like each one gets farther and farther from the book. And I've read the book several times. I was blown away by the story, so much so that when I finished it I had to read it again that same night. Now of the 3 movies, Last man on earth, Omega Man, I am Legend this is by far the worst of them. I gave this movie two views I've seen all 3 of the "I am Legend" movies and it seems like each one gets farther and farther from the book. And I've read the book several times. I was blown away by the story, so much so that when I finished it I had to read it again that same night. Now of the 3 movies, Last man on earth, Omega Man, I am Legend this is by far the worst of them. I gave this movie two views to give it a chance and hated it so much more the second time around. They changed some much of it from the book why even call it I am Legend.. And the ending?!? Who came up with that!!!!! It was GARBAGE but then again in Hollywood it's all about making money and not being true to the source material. Well I've said my piece if you want to watch go for it hopefully you'll get some enjoyment out of this stinker as for me I wasted 3 plus hours of my life that I'll never get back. Expand
  37. RobV.
    Jan 28, 2008
    The only thing worse than the movie itself is noticing that deep down within the story is the dead seed of something potentially brilliant. Save yourself the trouble of asking for a refund and pass this one up. It's Signs all over again.
  38. doiknoyunope
    May 27, 2009
    The only reason this movie gets a 1 is because of Will Smith!! This movie was horrible! How could this movie get 10s(from you guys) and 90s(from critics)? I don't understand. in my opion this movie was unclear...I can honestly say that I paid attention to the whole movie and to this day I still do not understand anything that happened in the whole movie. If anyone would care to The only reason this movie gets a 1 is because of Will Smith!! This movie was horrible! How could this movie get 10s(from you guys) and 90s(from critics)? I don't understand. in my opion this movie was unclear...I can honestly say that I paid attention to the whole movie and to this day I still do not understand anything that happened in the whole movie. If anyone would care to explain, please feel free to do so. Expand
  39. EdyC.
    Dec 11, 2007
    Oh please, give me a break, Will Smith stinks, and the critics don't make any sense at all, they say its magnificent performances, well there wrong, I'm so certain that there was very little action, mostly suspense, but truly, its rated PG-13, well excuse me you MPAA people, this movie should be rated PG-15, only if it is available, it is just silly dumb cinematic poorness, like Oh please, give me a break, Will Smith stinks, and the critics don't make any sense at all, they say its magnificent performances, well there wrong, I'm so certain that there was very little action, mostly suspense, but truly, its rated PG-13, well excuse me you MPAA people, this movie should be rated PG-15, only if it is available, it is just silly dumb cinematic poorness, like last year, there was very little good movie choices for the Christmas holidays. Expand
  40. TracyJackson
    Dec 15, 2007
    Lack of any logic or common sense in the plot. Wasted a good actor Will Smith in this movie. I feel sorry for him to be associated with this film. What a waste of time and money to see it in the theater.
  41. BillyS.
    I Am Nauseous.
  42. ColbyS.
    Dec 17, 2007
    I can't be the only one who saw this as a blatant ripoff of 28 Days Later. Come on. And Will Smith is only popular because chicks dig his body.
  43. AdamK.
    Dec 17, 2007
    I saw I am legend and I was bored. The premise is great and could have been so great, but it failed to deliver..(yeah I saw omega man when I was 12). So picture castaway, but instead of Tom Hanks, slip in Will Smith and some angry super zombies....(read more) Don't get me wrong...there are many scenes that grip you with tension...but it seems like the zombie porn and collapse of I saw I am legend and I was bored. The premise is great and could have been so great, but it failed to deliver..(yeah I saw omega man when I was 12). So picture castaway, but instead of Tom Hanks, slip in Will Smith and some angry super zombies....(read more) Don't get me wrong...there are many scenes that grip you with tension...but it seems like the zombie porn and collapse of society concept has come to an end with this one...they did a great job making NY look empty and over grown I have to say...but with so few people on the screen you need a really good actor keeping you in to it...will smith can't carry the role. I think worst of all were the zombies...I think they were all CGI which made it feel awkward...all this work to create a reality of end of days and then throw in CGI super zombies? When they screamed their mouths were the size of the grand canyon...but to try to get real about an unreal movie...these zombies could scale 4 story building like lightening...they could crash their heads into windshields 15 times and not get hurt...they had a virus that made them nuts and thirsty for people, but how does that make them invincible...bullets stop them but breaking through a plexiglass wall with their heads or a windshield doesn't slow them down...whatever... skip it all together. Expand
  44. ArleneK.
    Dec 18, 2007
    Terrible movie!
  45. PhilB.
    Dec 21, 2007
    The only good part of this movie is when you get to see SHREK. Other than that ....it sucks. Too bad I cant put -1.
  46. Potsos
    Dec 25, 2007
    So many plot holes and inconsistancies I'm not going to even attempt to fit them all. Will Smith is great, the dog (I'm not kidding) is probably the best dog acting I've ever seem on film. However, the bottom line is this: Hollywood movies are made for Americans. Thus, this movie betrays it's book title by replacing the darkseekers legendary hatred for the doctor with So many plot holes and inconsistancies I'm not going to even attempt to fit them all. Will Smith is great, the dog (I'm not kidding) is probably the best dog acting I've ever seem on film. However, the bottom line is this: Hollywood movies are made for Americans. Thus, this movie betrays it's book title by replacing the darkseekers legendary hatred for the doctor with the safety of "divine intervention/martyr on the cross". And just as in real life, God is absolved of blame for the disaster, but credited for the salvation. Expand
  47. mathewB.
    Dec 29, 2007
    Completely ineffective. Bad special effects, and unintersting. Smith has nothing ti do, and film does not address the meaning of humanity at all. So all you have left are dull monolouges and very poor action sequences.
  48. Jun 3, 2013
    I got to admit that the first part of the movie is pretty good, I like Smith´s performance and the script is well adapted, especially considering that it’s just ONE character during half the movie. But after Anna (Alice Braga) appears it all goes downhill from there, specifically the ending. It absolutely sucks, plus the ending (of the novel) is what makes the history so amazing. It ruinsI got to admit that the first part of the movie is pretty good, I like Smith´s performance and the script is well adapted, especially considering that it’s just ONE character during half the movie. But after Anna (Alice Braga) appears it all goes downhill from there, specifically the ending. It absolutely sucks, plus the ending (of the novel) is what makes the history so amazing. It ruins everything for me… I didn’t like the movie at all. Expand
  49. Aug 2, 2013
    Third adaptation of the novel by the same name, this one disregards most of the key aspects of the novel, probably because the audience Hollywood aims to wants it simple. In my opinion, this resulted in a boring, uninteresting movie.

1. Smith, sporting a newly buffed physique, delivers an extraordinary performance as a man slowly coming unglued under the strain of no human contact and a constantly alternating role of hunter and prey.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Remarkably eerie yet annoyingly larded with cheap horror-film shock effects, I Am Legend stands as an effective but also irksome adaptation of Richard Matheson's classic 1954 sci-fi novel.
  3. The first two thirds and change of I Am Legend is terrific mindless fun: crackerjack action with gnashing vampires barely glimpsed (and scarier for that) and how’d-they-do-that New York locations that retroactively justify the traffic jams.