7.0

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Manhattan when no one is living there anymore is awesome to see. Will Smith was decent in his role and the dog should have been nominated for best supporting actress/actor. The story was lacking in some aspects and the zombies were not all that impressive. I give this a 69.3 out of 100.
  2. Dec 31, 2013
    Virtually any movie Will Smith is starring in, the movie and his own performances is of A standard and this is not excluding I Am Legend. Robert Neville the main protagonist played by Will, is a scientist globally recognised, but not even he could contain the petrifying virus at has appeared to be unstoppable. The mystery behind his immunity is unidentified but what is clear is he's "The last man on earth". After a Cancer cure gone wrong it has transformed those injected with the so called vaccine into infected man eaters who have hunted down almost every human remaining. By the time the sun rises its safe due to the infected unable to appear under the sun for unknown reasons but once the sun begins to falls the "zombies" of more intelligences seen before hunt for any life form to eat. In the end it is up to Robert Neville to find the cure in an attempt to save the remaining world. A true classic and must watch for all Zombie fans. Expand
  3. Nov 18, 2013
    This movie is a very good adaptation of the original novel, the novel being my favorite book ever. It doesn't follow the book to the fullest though... As the book was written in the fifties they updated it more, and don't follow the main story of the book.
    Such as in the book Robert Neville does not have a dog, while in the movie, Robert Neville (Played by Will Smith) has a dog.
    Will
    Smith does a very good job in this movie, and it makes you feel lonely, as did the book. The movie did a very good job of making you ask what was going to happen next. Like in the book, Neville has flash backs about his family, these are not well done.
    One scene made me almost cry, a movie has never done that before.
    There is two endings but the second one is crap.
    The only thing that ruins this movie is CGI monsters. WHY?
    I don't remember the book having poor CGI monsters in it that don't look scary.

But anyway...
    Unlike the book he has a dog, and this dog is awesome. In this world you see what Neville has to do to survive, and that is very well done.

There isn't much more I can say without spoiling it so I will leave it at that.
    Watch this movie!
    More importantly read the book, one of the best.
  4. Nov 13, 2013
    I Am Legend lives up to its name.
    A very well crafted entertaining survival movie about one man looking for the cure to bring back humanity. Well paced, well written, and well acted.
  5. Oct 16, 2013
    I never read the book, so I can not make any gripes about the differences as so many others have. On it's own, I really enjoyed I am Legend. Will Smith putting on a great performance, and a utterly heartbreaking scene that almost made me cry (I think you know which scene I mean *woof* *woof*)

If anything the real downside to this movie comes from the "monsters." You can see there is
    more there but they aren't given the credit they should. A few of the earlier scenes you can sense their turmoil and even catch a brief glimpse of intelligence. But as the movie progress they are made to look more and more feral simply to add to the scares. which it doesn't as they feel more like a nuisance than an actual obstacle.

Overall:
    Aside from it's flaws, I Am Legend is still a great and highly enjoyable movie that plays with some rather deep ideas. Just a real shame they had to dumb them down more and more as the movie progressed.
  6. Aug 31, 2013
    The story reminded me a lot of 28 days later. But it was more grim to me. The atmosphere here is good, but not so dark and depressive. This movie is decent, Will Smith fully uses his talent, there are some touching moments.
  7. Aug 27, 2013
    An alright movie with a good performance from Will Smith. The worst thing about it is the zombies, they obviously spent all the budget on advertising because the special effects are actually pretty bad.
  8. Aug 26, 2013
    I was not impressed with "I Am Legend". It is sad and a little boring. My family loves this movie, but Will Smith's role fell flat. Emotional people should not watch this.
  9. Aug 2, 2013
    Third adaptation of the novel by the same name, this one disregards most of the key aspects of the novel, probably because the audience Hollywood aims to wants it simple. In my opinion, this resulted in a boring, uninteresting movie.
  10. Jun 26, 2013
    I'm sorry but I like this film. The CGI may be hokey, but I think this film works for it's first two acts quite successfully building suspense throughout, and Will Smith is strong also. I liked it.
  11. Jun 17, 2013
    Will smith puts in a terrific performance. This films atmosphere is excellent, even in times of complete silence. the film is unpredictable, but at times can be boring to watch. that said a couple of scenes are compelling; bring out a lot of emotion. personally i thought a film with just will smith, throughout 90%, of the film would be easy to turn off but instead i was left with a film that is epic with its decent CG I effects. Even Sam the dog puts on a Oscar winning performance. Expand
  12. Jun 12, 2013
    The best chatastophic film i've ever seen. It has good plot and actors. I didn't like the ending. It was too bad after what had happened in the movie. Was sad too in some moments
  13. Jun 3, 2013
    I got to admit that the first part of the movie is pretty good, I like Smith´s performance and the script is well adapted, especially considering that it’s just ONE character during half the movie. But after Anna (Alice Braga) appears it all goes downhill from there, specifically the ending. It absolutely sucks, plus the ending (of the novel) is what makes the history so amazing. It ruins everything for me… I didn’t like the movie at all. Expand
  14. Jun 3, 2013
    Although the action and storyline could have been more adventurous, Will Smith's powerful performance and a heck of a lot of intense moments make this one of the most unique films of Smith's career.
  15. May 16, 2013
    I Am Legend plays with the idea of what a post-apocalyptic world consists of..next to nobody..wastelands and silence, all in the search of something we desperately seek.
    Will Smith stars in this one-man-band type film, he believes he is not only the last surviving human being in New York, but also throughout the world. He prowls the streets by day in a quiet and derelict Manhattan, but
    at night he must secure himself in his home in darkness, because although he is the last man on earth...he is certainly not alone.
    Unfortunately the thing that everyone seeks is the thing that has infected just about everyone on the planet, a cure for cancer certainly had its side effects in this film.
    We find out right at the beginning of the film from Dr. Alice Krppin (Emma Thompson) that there has been a breakthrough in scientific research and that they have found a cure to cancer..but within seconds after a black screen that this isn't the case at all.
    Will Smith plays Robert Neville, a man who was unaffected by the airborne outbreak due to his immune system, he attempts to find a cure to the outbreak by using his own blood. He now leads a very routine life in New York, going out with his only company, a dog called Sam, and scouring the place for supplies and zones he has not yet cleared, but within the darkness lies those who didn't die from the virus, are now zombie-like beings who are in search of one thing, humans.
    These creatures run riot at night, something Neville must wade out each and every night, he must take certain measures so as they never know where he is, his house will be in darkness when his last watch alarm sounds, he must mask his scent using chemicals so as they cannot trace him and in all he has a very lonely life. We watch as he goes to a video store and has a conversation with a mannequin, showing his isolation and lack of human contact, he reaches out everyday for survivors via radio, but to no avail.
    The sombre tone that surrounds the film captures how isolated one man is in the big bad world, Will Smith expertly portrays a damaged and lonely individual, he knows the Shrek film off by heart, he plays golf atop a pile-up of cars and completely disregards the idea that there is a survivalist colony when he is told so by a fellow survivor, he is truly alone.
    It's a powerful and edgy film, with quite a risky story involving a small cast, which is unfortunately brought down by a disappointing ending that was rushed and premature, it just didn't seem justified.
    But besides that, another excellent blockbuster from Will Smith, intriguing and engaging with quite a message surrounding loneliness and the vulnerability of such a thing...something we may indeed need to one day hit head on.
  16. May 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Entertaining right down to the last third where it all falls apart and suddenly seems to have been hijacked by teabaggers or maybe even the Westboro Baptists. Wasn't there something about a covenant..? Expand
  17. Apr 14, 2013
    This is a riviting sci-fi apocalyptic that really gets your heart rate beating. There's just something about Will Smith's performance that really puts you on the edge of your seat. Even though he's "technicaly" the only one in this new world, he keeps you entertained with the fear of the so-called zombies. It has its dramatic scenes also which were just outstanding. By the way, Sam's death was to tragic. I mean seriously, who didn't cry when Robert had to put down his dog? I never thought a movie like this could not only amaze me with its suspense, but also tug on my heart strings at the same time. The only real problem is that this movie is kinda short. I really wish this movie was much longer. But other than that, it's an amazing apocolyptic thriller done better than any other apocolyptic movie. Expand
  18. Feb 23, 2013
    Finally, an end of the world thriller that is worth seeing! This remake of 1971's Omega Man is a perfect example of how end of the world movies should occur. The flashbacks to the time before the catastrophe tell the story of what actually happen. Will Smith is really great as Dr. Robert Neville. Instead of going on some insane journey to find an unaffected area, he stays right in the heart of the crisis and tries to fix it. He is a great example of a true hero and Will Smith portrays it perfectly. Smith's personality in a dark and somber movie is a bright spot and his interplay with the innocuous things he encounters is fantastic. Will Smith make the film, aided by a great story and some really cool special effects. This is a good one! Expand
  19. Jan 23, 2013
    Very good movie with a great performance by Will Smith.
  20. Dec 30, 2012
    Will Smith did a great job in the movie. The dog was really a great part of the movie and I almost cried when he had to kill his own dog. The ending was amazing and sad at the same time. Its a great accomplishment when you can make a grown man nearly cry in a horror movie.
  21. Dec 24, 2012
    While the acting is great, there is nothing really going on in this movie. Diagnosis: See for your own eyes, but at the end, I felt confused. Not because it is a piece of crap, but because it was almost like there wasn't a need for this film to be made. This is not a film like "Wall-E" where you can sit there and it's great- this movie...just see it and you'll know what i mean.
    Pros:
    Great direction, and perhaps interesting.
    Cons: Boring at some points.
    Guilty pleasure: It's not that bad.
  22. Nov 28, 2012
    "I Am Legend" not only features an extraordinarily impressive performance from Will Smith, but it succeeds in delivering a truly straightforward, yet undeinably forlorn and affecting story.
  23. Aug 18, 2012
    An underrated sci-fi flick that boasts a great performance by Will Smith, some good (if obvious) CGI work, and an interesting premise that plays out pretty well. I also recommend watching the version containing the alternate ending instead of the theatrical version.
  24. Mar 27, 2012
    in my opinion it was a really well made film, nice story and the camera work was also good. Its a shame that the story was a little way too strict, but I enjoyed it and i would recommend checking it : )
  25. Feb 4, 2012
    Will Smith is an especially popular actor who makes particularly bad movies. He is usually serviceable in his performance, but never any good. This film is a remake of the far more enigmatic and entertaining B-movie from the 1970s, Will Smith walks around abandoned Manhattan and tries to survive against heavily CGI vampires. There is no villain. There are no great action sequences. There aren't any great lines. It's actually boring. The only part of the movie that was somewhere good was the opening sequence where the US Military has to shoot down the Brooklyn Bridge to quarantine Manhattan because the plague is starting. But that part had nothing to do with the rest of the movie. Expand
  26. Dec 22, 2011
    I thought it was good for the most part. The biggest flaw of the movie was that it too far too long to get into. It was solid overall though, The acting was ok and Will Smith's performance did help carry the film during it's boring parts.
  27. Oct 20, 2011
    This movie really could have been an 8, but it lacked certain things. The story is good, and the destroyed abandoned New York City is amazing. It was created really well digitally. The story is quite creepy, as it shows just the "last man on Earth" and his dog. There isn't a lot of action in it, though the action scenes are good. The effects are great and Will Smith played his part really well. The zombies look great, especially close up. It's not so much a horror movie, though there are a few creepy scenes. This movie should appeal to any action movie fan and most horror fans. Expand
  28. Oct 17, 2011
    A very enjoyable film featuring a very stellar performance by Will Smith. The story is very captivating even if a little too short for my liking. As a fan of sci-fi titles, this one stands among some of the better, more refined. I can easily recommend this movie to anyone, even those who do not care to much for the horror.
  29. Oct 9, 2011
    Smith was very well on this role and a vision of apocalyptic and devastated world is always interesting for me but it can't help but I felt like "I Am Legend" lacked of something more substantial.
  30. Oct 1, 2011
    This movie failed to keep my attention. Not only that the movie became very unrealistic. I watched this movie as it was rated as a vampire movie but it clearly was not.

1. Smith, sporting a newly buffed physique, delivers an extraordinary performance as a man slowly coming unglued under the strain of no human contact and a constantly alternating role of hunter and prey.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Remarkably eerie yet annoyingly larded with cheap horror-film shock effects, I Am Legend stands as an effective but also irksome adaptation of Richard Matheson's classic 1954 sci-fi novel.
  3. The first two thirds and change of I Am Legend is terrific mindless fun: crackerjack action with gnashing vampires barely glimpsed (and scarier for that) and how’d-they-do-that New York locations that retroactively justify the traffic jams.