Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: December 14, 2007
7.1
Generally favorable reviews based on 669 Ratings
Watch Now
Tss5078Feb 23, 2013
Finally, an end of the world thriller that is worth seeing! This remake of 1971's Omega Man is a perfect example of how end of the world movies should occur. The flashbacks to the time before the catastrophe tell the story of what actuallyFinally, an end of the world thriller that is worth seeing! This remake of 1971's Omega Man is a perfect example of how end of the world movies should occur. The flashbacks to the time before the catastrophe tell the story of what actually happen. Will Smith is really great as Dr. Robert Neville. Instead of going on some insane journey to find an unaffected area, he stays right in the heart of the crisis and tries to fix it. He is a great example of a true hero and Will Smith portrays it perfectly. Smith's personality in a dark and somber movie is a bright spot and his interplay with the innocuous things he encounters is fantastic. Will Smith make the film, aided by a great story and some really cool special effects. This is a good one! Expand
ParanoiaMar 27, 2012
in my opinion it was a really well made film, nice story and the camera work was also good. Its a shame that the story was a little way too strict, but I enjoyed it and i would recommend checking it : )
SpangleSep 7, 2016
Carried on the broad shoulders of Will Smith, I Am Legend is a terrifically entertaining piece of science fiction horror with a surprising Christian-infused twist The film has a lot going for it, but above all, provides a great look at theCarried on the broad shoulders of Will Smith, I Am Legend is a terrifically entertaining piece of science fiction horror with a surprising Christian-infused twist The film has a lot going for it, but above all, provides a great look at the decimation of society and the newly emerging attempts to restore society to its previous levels. Other zombie films have focused on the former element with and the real underbelly of society, I Am Legend introduces enough to the latter element in order for it to be a worthy addition to the genre.

Many have unfavorably compared this film to 28 Days Later, due to the evil and anguish portrayed in that film, but that is unfair. Though they are of the same genre, I Am Legend attempts to do more. Instead, of instilling more desolation, it attempts to develop hope, which is admirable. From what I understand, this is unfaithful to the novel, but having never read the novel, I do not really care. Plus, I love The Shining, which is nothing like the novel. Thus, faithfulness to the novel is irrelevant to me when discussing a film. As it stands, the film's exploration of hope and faith in a better tomorrow, as well being the "light in the darkness" is more in line with what I would anticipate in the aftermath of such a disaster. While may will resort to evil as in 28 Days Later, many would try to keep up hope and belief that some force - God or other - will lead them out of this trauma. Ultimately, it comes down to how one grieves and handles strife. Essentially, I Am Legend showcases a different form of handling conflict and executes it very well, particularly evident in the final quote and the actions of Robert Neville (Smith).

The film really shines, however, in the characterization of Neville as the last man on Earth. The loneliness, destitution, and companionship with his beloved dog, Sam, are all traumatic and difficult to watch. The way in which he tries to talk to a female mannequin and talks casually to other mannequins is heart watching and, in my mind, perfectly captures this isolation one would feel if trapped in such a scenario.

In terms of thrills, I Am Legend more than delivers with its fair share of heart attack inducing sequences. That said, a lot of these thrills seem to capitalize on poor decision making from Neville and his dog, which is more tedious to watch than thrilling at times. Though these scenes entertain, they do often fly in the face of the development of Neville as a smart, calculated, and thorough planner of his daily actions.

Adding to the negative, the film's special effects do leave a lot to be desired. Though I thought the depiction of the disease and general concept of the "darkseekers" was well developed, the look and realization of these concepts fell short of expectations. Given that films that came out before and in 2007 had far better effects than this one, it is inexcusable for a film with such a high budget. This, to me, is the main shortcoming of the film, but together with stupid character actions that are against their personality, they add up to really hold back the film from being even better.

I Am Legend is an inspirational look at hope in the face of tremendous odds. Many criticized the addition of the religion, but it is a very apt addition given the situation. Religion exists to give people hope of a better tomorrow. In times of turmoil and anguish, many turn to religion as that "light in the darkness". Thus, it makes a lot of sense for it to be added into a film of this type. Even if it not in the original novel, it is a logical thematic addition. In terms of the film, I Am Legend delivers thrills, hope, and light, but can at times be a bit tedious and suffers from bad effects. All in all, this one is more than worth a watch if you, like me, are one of the few who has not seen film from Will Smith's prime.
Captain_KirkAug 18, 2012
An underrated sci-fi flick that boasts a great performance by Will Smith, some good (if obvious) CGI work, and an interesting premise that plays out pretty well. I also recommend watching the version containing the alternate ending instead ofAn underrated sci-fi flick that boasts a great performance by Will Smith, some good (if obvious) CGI work, and an interesting premise that plays out pretty well. I also recommend watching the version containing the alternate ending instead of the theatrical version. Expand
StaticSpineAug 31, 2013
The story reminded me a lot of 28 days later. But it was more grim to me. The atmosphere here is good, but not so dark and depressive. This movie is decent, Will Smith fully uses his talent, there are some touching moments.
RikiegeJan 23, 2013
Very good movie with a great performance by Will Smith.
JawsLaxerDramaDec 24, 2012
While the acting is great, there is nothing really going on in this movie. Diagnosis: See for your own eyes, but at the end, I felt confused. Not because it is a piece of crap, but because it was almost like there wasn't a need for this filmWhile the acting is great, there is nothing really going on in this movie. Diagnosis: See for your own eyes, but at the end, I felt confused. Not because it is a piece of crap, but because it was almost like there wasn't a need for this film to be made. This is not a film like "Wall-E" where you can sit there and it's great- this movie...just see it and you'll know what i mean.
Pros: Great direction, and perhaps interesting.
Cons: Boring at some points.
Guilty pleasure: It's not that bad.
LisuebieMay 2, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Entertaining right down to the last third where it all falls apart and suddenly seems to have been hijacked by teabaggers or maybe even the Westboro Baptists. Wasn't there something about a covenant..? Expand
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
"I Am Legend" not only features an extraordinarily impressive performance from Will Smith, but it succeeds in delivering a truly straightforward, yet undeinably forlorn and affecting story.
Rox22Oct 16, 2013
I never read the book, so I can not make any gripes about the differences as so many others have. On it's own, I really enjoyed I am Legend. Will Smith putting on a great performance, and a utterly heartbreaking scene that almost made me cryI never read the book, so I can not make any gripes about the differences as so many others have. On it's own, I really enjoyed I am Legend. Will Smith putting on a great performance, and a utterly heartbreaking scene that almost made me cry (I think you know which scene I mean *woof* *woof*)

If anything the real downside to this movie comes from the "monsters." You can see there is more there but they aren't given the credit they should. A few of the earlier scenes you can sense their turmoil and even catch a brief glimpse of intelligence. But as the movie progress they are made to look more and more feral simply to add to the scares. which it doesn't as they feel more like a nuisance than an actual obstacle.

Overall:
Aside from it's flaws, I Am Legend is still a great and highly enjoyable movie that plays with some rather deep ideas. Just a real shame they had to dumb them down more and more as the movie progressed.
RedShadowHatDec 30, 2012
Will Smith did a great job in the movie. The dog was really a great part of the movie and I almost cried when he had to kill his own dog. The ending was amazing and sad at the same time. Its a great accomplishment when you can make a grownWill Smith did a great job in the movie. The dog was really a great part of the movie and I almost cried when he had to kill his own dog. The ending was amazing and sad at the same time. Its a great accomplishment when you can make a grown man nearly cry in a horror movie. Expand
python2000Aug 27, 2013
An alright movie with a good performance from Will Smith. The worst thing about it is the zombies, they obviously spent all the budget on advertising because the special effects are actually pretty bad.
BradySmithApr 1, 2016
Such a tense, emotionally affecting, well acted, and well directed movie, that somewhat cheesy visual effects don't do much to hurt the film. There are moments of terror, moments of heartbreak, and even moments of beauty rarely found in evenSuch a tense, emotionally affecting, well acted, and well directed movie, that somewhat cheesy visual effects don't do much to hurt the film. There are moments of terror, moments of heartbreak, and even moments of beauty rarely found in even the best of the zombie and mutant genres. Will Smith's performance is absolutely incredible and really should have attracted more awards attention than it did. I'd definitely say it's Oscar nomination worthy performance. The story throughout is very engaging and the brilliant musical score only heightens the emotion. Sure, the "dark seekers" could have looked more realistic to add to the horror, but this still remains one of the best of its kind. Expand
spollardMar 11, 2014
Manhattan when no one is living there anymore is awesome to see. Will Smith was decent in his role and the dog should have been nominated for best supporting actress/actor. The story was lacking in some aspects and the zombies were not allManhattan when no one is living there anymore is awesome to see. Will Smith was decent in his role and the dog should have been nominated for best supporting actress/actor. The story was lacking in some aspects and the zombies were not all that impressive. I give this a 69.3 out of 100. Expand
Movie1997Apr 14, 2013
This is a riviting sci-fi apocalyptic that really gets your heart rate beating. There's just something about Will Smith's performance that really puts you on the edge of your seat. Even though he's "technicaly" the only one in this new world,This is a riviting sci-fi apocalyptic that really gets your heart rate beating. There's just something about Will Smith's performance that really puts you on the edge of your seat. Even though he's "technicaly" the only one in this new world, he keeps you entertained with the fear of the so-called zombies. It has its dramatic scenes also which were just outstanding. By the way, Sam's death was to tragic. I mean seriously, who didn't cry when Robert had to put down his dog? I never thought a movie like this could not only amaze me with its suspense, but also tug on my heart strings at the same time. The only real problem is that this movie is kinda short. I really wish this movie was much longer. But other than that, it's an amazing apocolyptic thriller done better than any other apocolyptic movie. Expand
GabiiRRSJun 3, 2013
I got to admit that the first part of the movie is pretty good, I like Smith´s performance and the script is well adapted, especially considering that it’s just ONE character during half the movie. But after Anna (Alice Braga) appears it allI got to admit that the first part of the movie is pretty good, I like Smith´s performance and the script is well adapted, especially considering that it’s just ONE character during half the movie. But after Anna (Alice Braga) appears it all goes downhill from there, specifically the ending. It absolutely sucks, plus the ending (of the novel) is what makes the history so amazing. It ruins everything for me… I didn’t like the movie at all. Expand
KivaJun 12, 2013
The best chatastophic film i've ever seen. It has good plot and actors. I didn't like the ending. It was too bad after what had happened in the movie. Was sad too in some moments
turbulentmaniacJun 17, 2013
Will smith puts in a terrific performance. This films atmosphere is excellent, even in times of complete silence. the film is unpredictable, but at times can be boring to watch. that said a couple of scenes are compelling; bring out a lot ofWill smith puts in a terrific performance. This films atmosphere is excellent, even in times of complete silence. the film is unpredictable, but at times can be boring to watch. that said a couple of scenes are compelling; bring out a lot of emotion. personally i thought a film with just will smith, throughout 90%, of the film would be easy to turn off but instead i was left with a film that is epic with its decent CG I effects. Even Sam the dog puts on a Oscar winning performance. Expand
wrightm1Jun 26, 2013
I'm sorry but I like this film. The CGI may be hokey, but I think this film works for it's first two acts quite successfully building suspense throughout, and Will Smith is strong also. I liked it.
mariotoadrabbitJul 6, 2014
I am legend which is the third of Richard mathson's i am legend novel of the same name, makes a effort of mystery thrilling, new cast will smith playing as dr. Robert Neville and exciting sound effects during the action sequences. In thisI am legend which is the third of Richard mathson's i am legend novel of the same name, makes a effort of mystery thrilling, new cast will smith playing as dr. Robert Neville and exciting sound effects during the action sequences. In this flim where it's left off about a last standing man named dr. Robert Neville tries to find a cure to kill the virus. during the search, he encountered vampire mutants that we're transformed by a virus. I would recommend that it's a instant classic of the I am legend novel. While watching it under 11 or 12 years old, the vampires maybe intense for some audiences. So that's my explanation of this movie. Expand
Bene_GesseritAug 2, 2013
Third adaptation of the novel by the same name, this one disregards most of the key aspects of the novel, probably because the audience Hollywood aims to wants it simple. In my opinion, this resulted in a boring, uninteresting movie.
DuckNationMay 25, 2014
Im sorry but i just dont understand how people think this is a good movie yes Will Smith did a good performance but the plot was so pointless and that fact that the humans ended up turning into vampires was even worse. I would have rather theIm sorry but i just dont understand how people think this is a good movie yes Will Smith did a good performance but the plot was so pointless and that fact that the humans ended up turning into vampires was even worse. I would have rather the movie just differ from the book this time and him be alone the whole dealing with that. I cant believe i actually went to the theaters to watch this movie i was beyond bored almost as much as i was when i watched I, Robot. The ending has to be one of the worst ever and even though the alternate ending is a bit better it doesnt effect my rating for this movie.

Overall i give it a 4.5
RayzorMooseNov 13, 2013
I Am Legend lives up to its name.
A very well crafted entertaining survival movie about one man looking for the cure to bring back humanity. Well paced, well written, and well acted.
MrAlcatrazNov 18, 2013
This movie is a very good adaptation of the original novel, the novel being my favorite book ever. It doesn't follow the book to the fullest though... As the book was written in the fifties they updated it more, and don't follow the mainThis movie is a very good adaptation of the original novel, the novel being my favorite book ever. It doesn't follow the book to the fullest though... As the book was written in the fifties they updated it more, and don't follow the main story of the book.
Such as in the book Robert Neville does not have a dog, while in the movie, Robert Neville (Played by Will Smith) has a dog.
Will Smith does a very good job in this movie, and it makes you feel lonely, as did the book. The movie did a very good job of making you ask what was going to happen next. Like in the book, Neville has flash backs about his family, these are not well done.
One scene made me almost cry, a movie has never done that before.
There is two endings but the second one is crap.
The only thing that ruins this movie is CGI monsters. WHY?
I don't remember the book having poor CGI monsters in it that don't look scary.

But anyway...
Unlike the book he has a dog, and this dog is awesome. In this world you see what Neville has to do to survive, and that is very well done.

There isn't much more I can say without spoiling it so I will leave it at that.
Watch this movie!
More importantly read the book, one of the best.
bfoore90Dec 14, 2016
If there was ever a reason for Will Smith to deserve an Oscar for his acting then "I AM Legend" is one of them. The film is, in my opinion a true tour-de-force for Smith who carries the movie in one of the best performances I've ever seenIf there was ever a reason for Will Smith to deserve an Oscar for his acting then "I AM Legend" is one of them. The film is, in my opinion a true tour-de-force for Smith who carries the movie in one of the best performances I've ever seen from him. The film is an interesting adaption to the book and does a good job keeping the audience interested and involved. My only gripe is that the later part of the movie could have been done better. Expand
Meth-dudeApr 25, 2015
Will Smith is pretty good in this role and the story is interesting.The visuals are beautiful but the fact that the creatures are made only by CGI is bad.The end is cheesy but,the movie is entertaining all the way till the end.
inaneswineNov 14, 2017
After Will Smith, who delivers a truly excellent performance as the lonely Robert Neville, New York City becomes the real star of this show, as we see the capital of consumerism abandoned and reduced to ruins ravaged by animals and monstersAfter Will Smith, who delivers a truly excellent performance as the lonely Robert Neville, New York City becomes the real star of this show, as we see the capital of consumerism abandoned and reduced to ruins ravaged by animals and monsters alike. The film gracefully explores the themes of isolation, loss and determination, and Neville's dog Sam is the most emotionally poignant companion since Wilson in Cast Away.

However, the film seriously falters in its third act, with the introduction of two human survivors who we simply aren't given the time to know or care about, and who actually spoil the tense silence that comes before it. The film's other main flaw is the monsters themselves, who are rather badly digitally produced and simply aren't very frightening. But come the final moments, Robert's story comes to a heart-rending peak, beautifully played by Smith. (I speak of the film's superior alternate ending, not the "God loves us" fodder of the theatrical version.)

I Am Legend is a taut and touching piece, if quite flawed.
KaprawiecAug 8, 2016
I'll rate it for what it is - an excellent zombie movie. This one actually have quite logical explanation for the disease source, and has interesting ending. Will Smith act is very realistic, as usual he is the strongest part of the movie heI'll rate it for what it is - an excellent zombie movie. This one actually have quite logical explanation for the disease source, and has interesting ending. Will Smith act is very realistic, as usual he is the strongest part of the movie he plays in. The role was similar to Tom Hanks from Cast Away, but in my oppinion Will did it better. I liked how the city looked after 3 years without humans (well, scene with lions was poorly executed). Movie also builds up tension quite good, and overall its worth watching. For a zombie flick fans 10/10. Expand
SiAScORCHNov 5, 2014
The movie has a lot of action, and some very sad parts. Along the story line you can't help but get attached to certain characters as you see time goes on and what happens to some of the characters. It's definitely an interesting twist as theThe movie has a lot of action, and some very sad parts. Along the story line you can't help but get attached to certain characters as you see time goes on and what happens to some of the characters. It's definitely an interesting twist as the movie goes on to show that we're not the only ones that can adapt. The ending is what drew the 8 rating, and if it weren't for that I would of given it a 9. I was definitely not a fan of the original ending, though if you're able to watch alternate endings then the second one isn't bad. Expand
emlugo123Feb 27, 2015
I wish the ending was explained more but other than that this is an emotionally captivating movie! I really felt the connection between Robert Neville and Sam and was so sad to see that relationship go.