7.1

1. Sep 10, 2011
    "I Am Legend", a horror movie starring Will Smith, could have become a better movie with the idea it pertains. However, all I saw was a monotonous movie where Will Smith was running away from infected zombie-like creatures with a unexplained horrific ending.
  2. Feb 4, 2012
    Will Smith is an especially popular actor who makes particularly bad movies. He is usually serviceable in his performance, but never any good. This film is a remake of the far more enigmatic and entertaining B-movie from the 1970s, Will Smith walks around abandoned Manhattan and tries to survive against heavily CGI vampires. There is no villain. There are no great action sequences. There aren't any great lines. It's actually boring. The only part of the movie that was somewhere good was the opening sequence where the US Military has to shoot down the Brooklyn Bridge to quarantine Manhattan because the plague is starting. But that part had nothing to do with the rest of the movie. Expand
  3. Oct 1, 2011
    This movie failed to keep my attention. Not only that the movie became very unrealistic. I watched this movie as it was rated as a vampire movie but it clearly was not.
  4. Dec 22, 2011
    I thought it was good for the most part. The biggest flaw of the movie was that it too far too long to get into. It was solid overall though, The acting was ok and Will Smith's performance did help carry the film during it's boring parts.
  5. Aug 23, 2010
    Very creepy and unsettling but really good. Will Smith's acting in this is phenomal and the environments are spectacular. The only thing is that the end isn't that great.
  6. Aug 25, 2010
    Works extremely well, normally when the Zombies aren't on the screen. Mainly because they're not scary, at all in fact they're hilarious. A few problems I had include the Zombies can extend their Jaws 180 degrees, the love interest compulsory in most of these films appears to have been replaced by a dog, the VERY convenient timing of someone else showing up after so many years alone and Nevilles grenades appear to be nuclear bombs judging by the damage they do. I would have vastly preferred the movie to have taken place during some of it's strongest scenes, when Neville is trying to get his wife and child out of the besieged city. I don't know there's potential for a good film in here but something went wrong on the drawing board and besides the book has already been done much better in the "Omega Man". I probably would go and see a prequel to the film but I wouldn't go see a sequel. Expand
  7. Jul 1, 2011
    Not quite as intense as I thought it'd be. The storyline was pretty interesting, not quite as innovative, but not a snooze-fest either. Will Smith was actually really good, especially in a film that has only two other real characters, he demonstrated quite a lot of acting ability. On the other hand, the other 'supporting cast' aka the zombies, were quite disappointing. The visual effects were rather bad, and they looked too fake - digitised, however you want to call it. Just not quite as good as it could have been. Plus, overall, the film does not offer us anything new that any other zombie film before. Not the best of zombie films, but at least it will keep you entertained and watching. More than that one cannot expect, unfortunately. Expand
  8. Oct 9, 2010
    Great Movie, this movie made me love German Shepards. And this movie made me adore Will Smith's work. Its a great time as you take a trip with the Last man on Earth
  9. Oct 19, 2010
    well done and interpreted, a little bit pathetic, not that kind of movie you'd like to watch again (again and again neither). not that thrilling, not that romantic, not that reflexive as the makers probably meant it
  10. Feb 14, 2011
    I Am Legend is what you get when you take the Zombie apocalypse but replace the Zombies with vampires, Will Smith makes a great performance in this movie, I wasn't sure what to expect with this movie but it turned out to be a emotionally moving, pulse quickening experience, and one of the best movie i've ever seen.
  11. Mar 20, 2011
    An awful film that seemed to confide in it's own pointlessness. Will Smith shows considerable acting talent, there is no mistaking that, it is the plot and setting that cause discomfort. The film, with all of it's suspense and horror, seems to work up to a specific climax, but this climax proves wholeheartedly unconvincing and unsatisfying. In other words: the movie is long-stretched, at some points boring, even, and bland. Expand
  12. May 29, 2011
    A nice movie. Will Smith can handle with the task of "bringing the movie back and forth." Charismatic and with easiness to take the audience to feel empathy for the actor, brings the movie a watchable story, a road median, a satisfactory performance of the 'ubiquitous' in the film. Something missing from the movie to surprise him (to my eyes). It has a good start giving introduction to the theme early on, bits of action with the suspense surrounding the film from beginning till the end, and this order and unsatisfactory, rushed ending, very busy, badly exploited. What a beautiful and excellent post-apocalyptic scenario, a relationship of 'the dog is man's best friend' beautiful to see, nice to be assisted. Few speeches in the film, which generates more attention to facial expressions that the actor brings in a rather peculiar scenes, showing how the man is afraid of being alone. The desperation of loneliness. When this happens, imagination and creativity arises resulting in comic scenes. It is noteworthy that the soundtrack was well introduced in the dialogues. But suddenly puff. The film slows down, something has changed in the course, and lost the harmony we had on the beginning. A suspenseful drama, tried to escape the cliché but was unsuccessful. Alice Braga could have been easily replaced by a dummy, no emotion added by the character in the film. Left to be desired, expected more. Less is more, a little "overrated." Expand
  13. Apr 30, 2011
    A decent rework of the novel. The atmosphere was very sad and the creatures were generally pretty creepy. However, the supposedly intentional fright moments are plagued with jump scares, a technique I feel is lazy and over used, especially in modern horror films. Smith is okay. He's not bad, but he's okay. All in all, an adequate flick.
  14. Jun 16, 2011
    Has so much potential, but doesn't give out the best it could have. This movie could of easily been one of the best movies of all times, but falls into more of just being a good movie. I enjoyed this movie, a lot. It's a very sad entertaining movie. I recommend getting the two disc package which comes with alternate ending and deleted scenes. But yes this movie is good. Nothing more.
  15. Oct 9, 2011
    Smith was very well on this role and a vision of apocalyptic and devastated world is always interesting for me but it can't help but I felt like "I Am Legend" lacked of something more substantial.
  16. Oct 20, 2011
    This movie really could have been an 8, but it lacked certain things. The story is good, and the destroyed abandoned New York City is amazing. It was created really well digitally. The story is quite creepy, as it shows just the "last man on Earth" and his dog. There isn't a lot of action in it, though the action scenes are good. The effects are great and Will Smith played his part really well. The zombies look great, especially close up. It's not so much a horror movie, though there are a few creepy scenes. This movie should appeal to any action movie fan and most horror fans. Expand
  17. Oct 17, 2011
    A very enjoyable film featuring a very stellar performance by Will Smith. The story is very captivating even if a little too short for my liking. As a fan of sci-fi titles, this one stands among some of the better, more refined. I can easily recommend this movie to anyone, even those who do not care to much for the horror.
  18. Jun 3, 2013
    Although the action and storyline could have been more adventurous, Will Smith's powerful performance and a heck of a lot of intense moments make this one of the most unique films of Smith's career.
  19. May 16, 2013
    I Am Legend plays with the idea of what a post-apocalyptic world consists of..next to nobody..wastelands and silence, all in the search of something we desperately seek.
    Will Smith stars in this one-man-band type film, he believes he is not only the last surviving human being in New York, but also throughout the world. He prowls the streets by day in a quiet and derelict Manhattan, but
    at night he must secure himself in his home in darkness, because although he is the last man on earth...he is certainly not alone.
    Unfortunately the thing that everyone seeks is the thing that has infected just about everyone on the planet, a cure for cancer certainly had its side effects in this film.
    We find out right at the beginning of the film from Dr. Alice Krppin (Emma Thompson) that there has been a breakthrough in scientific research and that they have found a cure to cancer..but within seconds after a black screen that this isn't the case at all.
    Will Smith plays Robert Neville, a man who was unaffected by the airborne outbreak due to his immune system, he attempts to find a cure to the outbreak by using his own blood. He now leads a very routine life in New York, going out with his only company, a dog called Sam, and scouring the place for supplies and zones he has not yet cleared, but within the darkness lies those who didn't die from the virus, are now zombie-like beings who are in search of one thing, humans.
    These creatures run riot at night, something Neville must wade out each and every night, he must take certain measures so as they never know where he is, his house will be in darkness when his last watch alarm sounds, he must mask his scent using chemicals so as they cannot trace him and in all he has a very lonely life. We watch as he goes to a video store and has a conversation with a mannequin, showing his isolation and lack of human contact, he reaches out everyday for survivors via radio, but to no avail.
    The sombre tone that surrounds the film captures how isolated one man is in the big bad world, Will Smith expertly portrays a damaged and lonely individual, he knows the Shrek film off by heart, he plays golf atop a pile-up of cars and completely disregards the idea that there is a survivalist colony when he is told so by a fellow survivor, he is truly alone.
    It's a powerful and edgy film, with quite a risky story involving a small cast, which is unfortunately brought down by a disappointing ending that was rushed and premature, it just didn't seem justified.
    But besides that, another excellent blockbuster from Will Smith, intriguing and engaging with quite a message surrounding loneliness and the vulnerability of such a thing...something we may indeed need to one day hit head on.
  20. Feb 23, 2013
    Finally, an end of the world thriller that is worth seeing! This remake of 1971's Omega Man is a perfect example of how end of the world movies should occur. The flashbacks to the time before the catastrophe tell the story of what actually happen. Will Smith is really great as Dr. Robert Neville. Instead of going on some insane journey to find an unaffected area, he stays right in the heart of the crisis and tries to fix it. He is a great example of a true hero and Will Smith portrays it perfectly. Smith's personality in a dark and somber movie is a bright spot and his interplay with the innocuous things he encounters is fantastic. Will Smith make the film, aided by a great story and some really cool special effects. This is a good one! Expand
  21. Mar 27, 2012
    in my opinion it was a really well made film, nice story and the camera work was also good. Its a shame that the story was a little way too strict, but I enjoyed it and i would recommend checking it : )
  22. Aug 18, 2012
    An underrated sci-fi flick that boasts a great performance by Will Smith, some good (if obvious) CGI work, and an interesting premise that plays out pretty well. I also recommend watching the version containing the alternate ending instead of the theatrical version.
  23. Aug 31, 2013
    The story reminded me a lot of 28 days later. But it was more grim to me. The atmosphere here is good, but not so dark and depressive. This movie is decent, Will Smith fully uses his talent, there are some touching moments.
  24. Jan 23, 2013
    Very good movie with a great performance by Will Smith.
  25. Dec 24, 2012
    While the acting is great, there is nothing really going on in this movie. Diagnosis: See for your own eyes, but at the end, I felt confused. Not because it is a piece of crap, but because it was almost like there wasn't a need for this film to be made. This is not a film like "Wall-E" where you can sit there and it's great- this movie...just see it and you'll know what i mean.
    Pros:
    Great direction, and perhaps interesting.
    Cons: Boring at some points.
    Guilty pleasure: It's not that bad.
  26. May 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Entertaining right down to the last third where it all falls apart and suddenly seems to have been hijacked by teabaggers or maybe even the Westboro Baptists. Wasn't there something about a covenant..? Expand
  27. Nov 28, 2012
    "I Am Legend" not only features an extraordinarily impressive performance from Will Smith, but it succeeds in delivering a truly straightforward, yet undeinably forlorn and affecting story.
  28. Oct 16, 2013
    I never read the book, so I can not make any gripes about the differences as so many others have. On it's own, I really enjoyed I am Legend. Will Smith putting on a great performance, and a utterly heartbreaking scene that almost made me cry (I think you know which scene I mean *woof* *woof*)

If anything the real downside to this movie comes from the "monsters." You can see there is
    more there but they aren't given the credit they should. A few of the earlier scenes you can sense their turmoil and even catch a brief glimpse of intelligence. But as the movie progress they are made to look more and more feral simply to add to the scares. which it doesn't as they feel more like a nuisance than an actual obstacle.

Overall:
    Aside from it's flaws, I Am Legend is still a great and highly enjoyable movie that plays with some rather deep ideas. Just a real shame they had to dumb them down more and more as the movie progressed.
  29. Dec 30, 2012
    Will Smith did a great job in the movie. The dog was really a great part of the movie and I almost cried when he had to kill his own dog. The ending was amazing and sad at the same time. Its a great accomplishment when you can make a grown man nearly cry in a horror movie.
  30. Aug 27, 2013
    An alright movie with a good performance from Will Smith. The worst thing about it is the zombies, they obviously spent all the budget on advertising because the special effects are actually pretty bad.
  31. Mar 11, 2014
    Manhattan when no one is living there anymore is awesome to see. Will Smith was decent in his role and the dog should have been nominated for best supporting actress/actor. The story was lacking in some aspects and the zombies were not all that impressive. I give this a 69.3 out of 100.
  32. Apr 14, 2013
    This is a riviting sci-fi apocalyptic that really gets your heart rate beating. There's just something about Will Smith's performance that really puts you on the edge of your seat. Even though he's "technicaly" the only one in this new world, he keeps you entertained with the fear of the so-called zombies. It has its dramatic scenes also which were just outstanding. By the way, Sam's death was to tragic. I mean seriously, who didn't cry when Robert had to put down his dog? I never thought a movie like this could not only amaze me with its suspense, but also tug on my heart strings at the same time. The only real problem is that this movie is kinda short. I really wish this movie was much longer. But other than that, it's an amazing apocolyptic thriller done better than any other apocolyptic movie. Expand
  33. Jul 9, 2014
    AWESOME FILM,LOVED IT-Smith turns in a terrific performance, TOUCHING ACTING, STUNNING visuals
    A GOOD ENTERTAINING FILM BY WILL SMITH!!!Just a great movie -it is my opinion - i really enjoyed it- and add to my favorite film gallery .
  34. Jun 3, 2013
    I got to admit that the first part of the movie is pretty good, I like Smith´s performance and the script is well adapted, especially considering that it’s just ONE character during half the movie. But after Anna (Alice Braga) appears it all goes downhill from there, specifically the ending. It absolutely sucks, plus the ending (of the novel) is what makes the history so amazing. It ruins everything for me… I didn’t like the movie at all. Expand
  35. Dec 31, 2013
    Virtually any movie Will Smith is starring in, the movie and his own performances is of A standard and this is not excluding I Am Legend. Robert Neville the main protagonist played by Will, is a scientist globally recognised, but not even he could contain the petrifying virus at has appeared to be unstoppable. The mystery behind his immunity is unidentified but what is clear is he's "The last man on earth". After a Cancer cure gone wrong it has transformed those injected with the so called vaccine into infected man eaters who have hunted down almost every human remaining. By the time the sun rises its safe due to the infected unable to appear under the sun for unknown reasons but once the sun begins to falls the "zombies" of more intelligences seen before hunt for any life form to eat. In the end it is up to Robert Neville to find the cure in an attempt to save the remaining world. A true classic and must watch for all Zombie fans. Expand
  36. Jun 12, 2013
    The best chatastophic film i've ever seen. It has good plot and actors. I didn't like the ending. It was too bad after what had happened in the movie. Was sad too in some moments
  37. Jun 17, 2013
    Will smith puts in a terrific performance. This films atmosphere is excellent, even in times of complete silence. the film is unpredictable, but at times can be boring to watch. that said a couple of scenes are compelling; bring out a lot of emotion. personally i thought a film with just will smith, throughout 90%, of the film would be easy to turn off but instead i was left with a film that is epic with its decent CG I effects. Even Sam the dog puts on a Oscar winning performance. Expand
  38. Jun 26, 2013
    I'm sorry but I like this film. The CGI may be hokey, but I think this film works for it's first two acts quite successfully building suspense throughout, and Will Smith is strong also. I liked it.
  39. Jul 6, 2014
    I am legend which is the third of Richard mathson's i am legend novel of the same name, makes a effort of mystery thrilling, new cast will smith playing as dr. Robert Neville and exciting sound effects during the action sequences. In this flim where it's left off about a last standing man named dr. Robert Neville tries to find a cure to kill the virus. during the search, he encountered vampire mutants that we're transformed by a virus. I would recommend that it's a instant classic of the I am legend novel. While watching it under 11 or 12 years old, the vampires maybe intense for some audiences. So that's my explanation of this movie. Expand
  40. Aug 2, 2013
    Third adaptation of the novel by the same name, this one disregards most of the key aspects of the novel, probably because the audience Hollywood aims to wants it simple. In my opinion, this resulted in a boring, uninteresting movie.
  41. Aug 26, 2013
    I was not impressed with "I Am Legend". It is sad and a little boring. My family loves this movie, but Will Smith's role fell flat. Emotional people should not watch this.
  42. May 25, 2014
    Im sorry but i just dont understand how people think this is a good movie yes Will Smith did a good performance but the plot was so pointless and that fact that the humans ended up turning into vampires was even worse. I would have rather the movie just differ from the book this time and him be alone the whole dealing with that. I cant believe i actually went to the theaters to watch this movie i was beyond bored almost as much as i was when i watched I, Robot. The ending has to be one of the worst ever and even though the alternate ending is a bit better it doesnt effect my rating for this movie.

Overall i give it a 4.5
  43. Nov 13, 2013
    I Am Legend lives up to its name.
    A very well crafted entertaining survival movie about one man looking for the cure to bring back humanity. Well paced, well written, and well acted.
  44. Nov 18, 2013
    This movie is a very good adaptation of the original novel, the novel being my favorite book ever. It doesn't follow the book to the fullest though... As the book was written in the fifties they updated it more, and don't follow the main story of the book.
    Such as in the book Robert Neville does not have a dog, while in the movie, Robert Neville (Played by Will Smith) has a dog.
    Will
    Smith does a very good job in this movie, and it makes you feel lonely, as did the book. The movie did a very good job of making you ask what was going to happen next. Like in the book, Neville has flash backs about his family, these are not well done.
    One scene made me almost cry, a movie has never done that before.
    There is two endings but the second one is crap.
    The only thing that ruins this movie is CGI monsters. WHY?
    I don't remember the book having poor CGI monsters in it that don't look scary.

But anyway...
    Unlike the book he has a dog, and this dog is awesome. In this world you see what Neville has to do to survive, and that is very well done.

There isn't much more I can say without spoiling it so I will leave it at that.
    Watch this movie!
    More importantly read the book, one of the best.
  45. Nov 5, 2014
    The movie has a lot of action, and some very sad parts. Along the story line you can't help but get attached to certain characters as you see time goes on and what happens to some of the characters. It's definitely an interesting twist as the movie goes on to show that we're not the only ones that can adapt. The ending is what drew the 8 rating, and if it weren't for that I would of given it a 9. I was definitely not a fan of the original ending, though if you're able to watch alternate endings then the second one isn't bad. Expand

1. Smith, sporting a newly buffed physique, delivers an extraordinary performance as a man slowly coming unglued under the strain of no human contact and a constantly alternating role of hunter and prey.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Remarkably eerie yet annoyingly larded with cheap horror-film shock effects, I Am Legend stands as an effective but also irksome adaptation of Richard Matheson's classic 1954 sci-fi novel.
  3. The first two thirds and change of I Am Legend is terrific mindless fun: crackerjack action with gnashing vampires barely glimpsed (and scarier for that) and how’d-they-do-that New York locations that retroactively justify the traffic jams.