7.1

1. Jun 1, 2015
    Will Smith act most of the movie with a dog so it may be an interesting updating of the original novel, which Smith shows that he can actually act. One of the few films that brings a tear to my eye during one certain scene. However, what the hell is up with the new ending? It sucks, and also makes the film title itself nonsensical.
  2. May 19, 2015
    One of my favorite all time Will Smiths movies. I Am Legend just takes a lot of attention. Will get you hooked in in seconds. The sick are creepy and great. Will Smith just kills the role. Makes it look too realistic
  3. May 9, 2015
    In the novel on which this moody blockbuster is based, Richard Matheson offered a neat sci-fi twist on the vampire mythos, imagining a world-destroying spore which would turn everyday folk into blood-lusting creatures of midnight. Yet, despite retaining the tweaked-vamp threat, Akiva Goldsman and Mark ‘Poseidon’ Protosevich’s script, as realised by MTV alumnus Francis Lawrence, betterIn the novel on which this moody blockbuster is based, Richard Matheson offered a neat sci-fi twist on the vampire mythos, imagining a world-destroying spore which would turn everyday folk into blood-lusting creatures of midnight. Yet, despite retaining the tweaked-vamp threat, Akiva Goldsman and Mark ‘Poseidon’ Protosevich’s script, as realised by MTV alumnus Francis Lawrence, better resembles a werewolf or Dr. Jekyll. By day, it’s a limber, thoughtful and supremely effective drama. By night, it’s a drooling, lurching, crushingly stupid and clumsily executed VFX disaster.

Sunrise. Smartly employing the sharp eye of Lord Of The Rings lenser Andrew Lesnie, Lawrence presents to us a New York free of all human presence. Shoulder-height grass wafts lazily in Times Square, disturbed only by the occasional herd of deer. Skyscrapers still shout of the glories of mankind’s achievements, but with no-one to hear them they serve only to cast long shadows.

In one sense it’s terrifying -the Mary Celeste as an entire conurbation. Yet it’s also oddly beautiful - a city where nature has regained her hold and the tiniest animal sounds are no longer smothered by the deafening cough of engines.

When we’re introduced to this landscape’s only human inhabitant - one Robert Neville (Will Smith), who is conveniently both highly militarily trained and a brilliant virologist - he’s seemingly enjoying his desolate environment, redlining a sports car through town, his faithful canine companion Sam (best animal performance of the decade, say us) gazing happily out of the passenger window. It’s a great opening sequence, especially when it transpires that Neville’s actually on the hunt, rifle in lap, seeking some venison to supplement his tinned provisions.

For a big studio genre film, I Am Legend goes a surprisingly long way to explore psychology, and Smith fearlessly dives headfirst into the mind of an individual who’s had no human contact for almost 40 months.

The little details ring true, such as when Neville chides his dog for not eating her vegetables - he’s anthropomorphised her so completely that he’s forgotten she’s a carnivore. Ignore the predictably dodgy science and plot-fissures, and you have a tentpole picture that doesn’t, for once, insult its audience’s intelligence. Until…

Sunset. Before we sink our teeth in, let’s make one thing clear: having cut his incisors on infernal comic-book adaptation Constantine, Lawrence knows how to crank tension and apply a shock. So, in its earlier moments, I Am Legend plays on our primal fear of the dark like a maestro. But when it comes to the blood-lapping “dark seekers”, Lawrence’s inadequacies come crashing through. A more experienced director would likely have taken a more clever, less profligate approach to this movie’s monsters. As would a filmmaker who was - like Danny Boyle, helming the superior 28 Days Later - forced to operate on a considerably more limited budget.

After all, what are the dark seekers? Skinny, pale, hairless people with a supernaturally advanced metabolism. So why on Earth did Lawrence choose to make them pure-CG conjurations? And what dismally dire CG it is, too. Lawrence’s ‘vampires’ are cartoonish phantoms, evaporators of fear who mercilessly inhale all the atmosphere so ingeniously woven during the daylight hours. Going full CG was the worst artistic decision Lawrence could have made - short of having the populace of New York suddenly jump out from behind the Empire State and shout “April foo-ool!” at Neville before cutting to the credits.

While the sun shines, it’s a four-star thriller with a superb turn from Smith. When the moon rises, it’s a two-star horror cartoon with some of the worst FX we’ve seen all year. So, really, it has to average out at…
  4. Apr 25, 2015
    Will Smith is pretty good in this role and the story is interesting.The visuals are beautiful but the fact that the creatures are made only by CGI is bad.The end is cheesy but,the movie is entertaining all the way till the end.
  5. Mar 11, 2015
    The greatest thing about this movie is it's imagery. It is a little eerie to see New York City so isolated and alone, and Will Smith does a superb job acting. Although it wasn't scary, it was still a good movie.
  6. Feb 27, 2015
    I wish the ending was explained more but other than that this is an emotionally captivating movie! I really felt the connection between Robert Neville and Sam and was so sad to see that relationship go.
  7. Nov 5, 2014
    The movie has a lot of action, and some very sad parts. Along the story line you can't help but get attached to certain characters as you see time goes on and what happens to some of the characters. It's definitely an interesting twist as the movie goes on to show that we're not the only ones that can adapt. The ending is what drew the 8 rating, and if it weren't for that I would of givenThe movie has a lot of action, and some very sad parts. Along the story line you can't help but get attached to certain characters as you see time goes on and what happens to some of the characters. It's definitely an interesting twist as the movie goes on to show that we're not the only ones that can adapt. The ending is what drew the 8 rating, and if it weren't for that I would of given it a 9. I was definitely not a fan of the original ending, though if you're able to watch alternate endings then the second one isn't bad. Expand
  8. Jul 9, 2014
    AWESOME FILM,LOVED IT-Smith turns in a terrific performance, TOUCHING ACTING, STUNNING visuals
    A GOOD ENTERTAINING FILM BY WILL SMITH!!!Just a great movie -it is my opinion - i really enjoyed it- and add to my favorite film gallery .
  9. Jul 6, 2014
    I am legend which is the third of Richard mathson's i am legend novel of the same name, makes a effort of mystery thrilling, new cast will smith playing as dr. Robert Neville and exciting sound effects during the action sequences. In this flim where it's left off about a last standing man named dr. Robert Neville tries to find a cure to kill the virus. during the search, he encounteredI am legend which is the third of Richard mathson's i am legend novel of the same name, makes a effort of mystery thrilling, new cast will smith playing as dr. Robert Neville and exciting sound effects during the action sequences. In this flim where it's left off about a last standing man named dr. Robert Neville tries to find a cure to kill the virus. during the search, he encountered vampire mutants that we're transformed by a virus. I would recommend that it's a instant classic of the I am legend novel. While watching it under 11 or 12 years old, the vampires maybe intense for some audiences. So that's my explanation of this movie. Expand
  10. May 25, 2014
    Im sorry but i just dont understand how people think this is a good movie yes Will Smith did a good performance but the plot was so pointless and that fact that the humans ended up turning into vampires was even worse. I would have rather the movie just differ from the book this time and him be alone the whole dealing with that. I cant believe i actually went to the theaters to watch thisIm sorry but i just dont understand how people think this is a good movie yes Will Smith did a good performance but the plot was so pointless and that fact that the humans ended up turning into vampires was even worse. I would have rather the movie just differ from the book this time and him be alone the whole dealing with that. I cant believe i actually went to the theaters to watch this movie i was beyond bored almost as much as i was when i watched I, Robot. The ending has to be one of the worst ever and even though the alternate ending is a bit better it doesnt effect my rating for this movie.

Overall i give it a 4.5
  11. Mar 11, 2014
    Manhattan when no one is living there anymore is awesome to see. Will Smith was decent in his role and the dog should have been nominated for best supporting actress/actor. The story was lacking in some aspects and the zombies were not all that impressive. I give this a 69.3 out of 100.
  12. Dec 31, 2013
    Virtually any movie Will Smith is starring in, the movie and his own performances is of A standard and this is not excluding I Am Legend. Robert Neville the main protagonist played by Will, is a scientist globally recognised, but not even he could contain the petrifying virus at has appeared to be unstoppable. The mystery behind his immunity is unidentified but what is clear is he's "TheVirtually any movie Will Smith is starring in, the movie and his own performances is of A standard and this is not excluding I Am Legend. Robert Neville the main protagonist played by Will, is a scientist globally recognised, but not even he could contain the petrifying virus at has appeared to be unstoppable. The mystery behind his immunity is unidentified but what is clear is he's "The last man on earth". After a Cancer cure gone wrong it has transformed those injected with the so called vaccine into infected man eaters who have hunted down almost every human remaining. By the time the sun rises its safe due to the infected unable to appear under the sun for unknown reasons but once the sun begins to falls the "zombies" of more intelligences seen before hunt for any life form to eat. In the end it is up to Robert Neville to find the cure in an attempt to save the remaining world. A true classic and must watch for all Zombie fans. Expand
  13. Nov 18, 2013
    This movie is a very good adaptation of the original novel, the novel being my favorite book ever. It doesn't follow the book to the fullest though... As the book was written in the fifties they updated it more, and don't follow the main story of the book.
    Such as in the book Robert Neville does not have a dog, while in the movie, Robert Neville (Played by Will Smith) has a dog.
    Will
    Will Smith does a very good job in this movie, and it makes you feel lonely, as did the book. The movie did a very good job of making you ask what was going to happen next. Like in the book, Neville has flash backs about his family, these are not well done.
    One scene made me almost cry, a movie has never done that before.
    There is two endings but the second one is crap.
    The only thing that ruins this movie is CGI monsters. WHY?
    I don't remember the book having poor CGI monsters in it that don't look scary.

But anyway...
    Unlike the book he has a dog, and this dog is awesome. In this world you see what Neville has to do to survive, and that is very well done.

There isn't much more I can say without spoiling it so I will leave it at that.
    Watch this movie!
    More importantly read the book, one of the best.
  14. Nov 13, 2013
    I Am Legend lives up to its name.
    A very well crafted entertaining survival movie about one man looking for the cure to bring back humanity. Well paced, well written, and well acted.
  15. Oct 16, 2013
    I never read the book, so I can not make any gripes about the differences as so many others have. On it's own, I really enjoyed I am Legend. Will Smith putting on a great performance, and a utterly heartbreaking scene that almost made me cry (I think you know which scene I mean *woof* *woof*)

If anything the real downside to this movie comes from the "monsters." You can see there is more there but they aren't given the credit they should. A few of the earlier scenes you can sense their turmoil and even catch a brief glimpse of intelligence. But as the movie progress they are made to look more and more feral simply to add to the scares. which it doesn't as they feel more like a nuisance than an actual obstacle.

Overall:
    Aside from it's flaws, I Am Legend is still a great and highly enjoyable movie that plays with some rather deep ideas. Just a real shame they had to dumb them down more and more as the movie progressed.
  16. Aug 31, 2013
    The story reminded me a lot of 28 days later. But it was more grim to me. The atmosphere here is good, but not so dark and depressive. This movie is decent, Will Smith fully uses his talent, there are some touching moments.
  17. Aug 27, 2013
    An alright movie with a good performance from Will Smith. The worst thing about it is the zombies, they obviously spent all the budget on advertising because the special effects are actually pretty bad.
  18. Aug 26, 2013
    I was not impressed with "I Am Legend". It is sad and a little boring. My family loves this movie, but Will Smith's role fell flat. Emotional people should not watch this.
  19. Aug 2, 2013
    Third adaptation of the novel by the same name, this one disregards most of the key aspects of the novel, probably because the audience Hollywood aims to wants it simple. In my opinion, this resulted in a boring, uninteresting movie.
  20. Jun 26, 2013
    I'm sorry but I like this film. The CGI may be hokey, but I think this film works for it's first two acts quite successfully building suspense throughout, and Will Smith is strong also. I liked it.
  21. Jun 17, 2013
    Will smith puts in a terrific performance. This films atmosphere is excellent, even in times of complete silence. the film is unpredictable, but at times can be boring to watch. that said a couple of scenes are compelling; bring out a lot of emotion. personally i thought a film with just will smith, throughout 90%, of the film would be easy to turn off but instead i was left with a filmWill smith puts in a terrific performance. This films atmosphere is excellent, even in times of complete silence. the film is unpredictable, but at times can be boring to watch. that said a couple of scenes are compelling; bring out a lot of emotion. personally i thought a film with just will smith, throughout 90%, of the film would be easy to turn off but instead i was left with a film that is epic with its decent CG I effects. Even Sam the dog puts on a Oscar winning performance. Expand
  22. Jun 12, 2013
    The best chatastophic film i've ever seen. It has good plot and actors. I didn't like the ending. It was too bad after what had happened in the movie. Was sad too in some moments
  23. Jun 3, 2013
    I got to admit that the first part of the movie is pretty good, I like Smith´s performance and the script is well adapted, especially considering that it’s just ONE character during half the movie. But after Anna (Alice Braga) appears it all goes downhill from there, specifically the ending. It absolutely sucks, plus the ending (of the novel) is what makes the history so amazing. It ruinsI got to admit that the first part of the movie is pretty good, I like Smith´s performance and the script is well adapted, especially considering that it’s just ONE character during half the movie. But after Anna (Alice Braga) appears it all goes downhill from there, specifically the ending. It absolutely sucks, plus the ending (of the novel) is what makes the history so amazing. It ruins everything for me… I didn’t like the movie at all. Expand
  24. Jun 3, 2013
    Although the action and storyline could have been more adventurous, Will Smith's powerful performance and a heck of a lot of intense moments make this one of the most unique films of Smith's career.
  25. May 16, 2013
    I Am Legend plays with the idea of what a post-apocalyptic world consists of..next to nobody..wastelands and silence, all in the search of something we desperately seek.
    Will Smith stars in this one-man-band type film, he believes he is not only the last surviving human being in New York, but also throughout the world. He prowls the streets by day in a quiet and derelict Manhattan, but at night he must secure himself in his home in darkness, because although he is the last man on earth...he is certainly not alone.
    Unfortunately the thing that everyone seeks is the thing that has infected just about everyone on the planet, a cure for cancer certainly had its side effects in this film.
    We find out right at the beginning of the film from Dr. Alice Krppin (Emma Thompson) that there has been a breakthrough in scientific research and that they have found a cure to cancer..but within seconds after a black screen that this isn't the case at all.
    Will Smith plays Robert Neville, a man who was unaffected by the airborne outbreak due to his immune system, he attempts to find a cure to the outbreak by using his own blood. He now leads a very routine life in New York, going out with his only company, a dog called Sam, and scouring the place for supplies and zones he has not yet cleared, but within the darkness lies those who didn't die from the virus, are now zombie-like beings who are in search of one thing, humans.
    These creatures run riot at night, something Neville must wade out each and every night, he must take certain measures so as they never know where he is, his house will be in darkness when his last watch alarm sounds, he must mask his scent using chemicals so as they cannot trace him and in all he has a very lonely life. We watch as he goes to a video store and has a conversation with a mannequin, showing his isolation and lack of human contact, he reaches out everyday for survivors via radio, but to no avail.
    The sombre tone that surrounds the film captures how isolated one man is in the big bad world, Will Smith expertly portrays a damaged and lonely individual, he knows the Shrek film off by heart, he plays golf atop a pile-up of cars and completely disregards the idea that there is a survivalist colony when he is told so by a fellow survivor, he is truly alone.
    It's a powerful and edgy film, with quite a risky story involving a small cast, which is unfortunately brought down by a disappointing ending that was rushed and premature, it just didn't seem justified.
    But besides that, another excellent blockbuster from Will Smith, intriguing and engaging with quite a message surrounding loneliness and the vulnerability of such a thing...something we may indeed need to one day hit head on.
  26. May 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Entertaining right down to the last third where it all falls apart and suddenly seems to have been hijacked by teabaggers or maybe even the Westboro Baptists. Wasn't there something about a covenant..? Expand
  27. Apr 14, 2013
    This is a riviting sci-fi apocalyptic that really gets your heart rate beating. There's just something about Will Smith's performance that really puts you on the edge of your seat. Even though he's "technicaly" the only one in this new world, he keeps you entertained with the fear of the so-called zombies. It has its dramatic scenes also which were just outstanding. By the way, Sam's deathThis is a riviting sci-fi apocalyptic that really gets your heart rate beating. There's just something about Will Smith's performance that really puts you on the edge of your seat. Even though he's "technicaly" the only one in this new world, he keeps you entertained with the fear of the so-called zombies. It has its dramatic scenes also which were just outstanding. By the way, Sam's death was to tragic. I mean seriously, who didn't cry when Robert had to put down his dog? I never thought a movie like this could not only amaze me with its suspense, but also tug on my heart strings at the same time. The only real problem is that this movie is kinda short. I really wish this movie was much longer. But other than that, it's an amazing apocolyptic thriller done better than any other apocolyptic movie. Expand
  28. Feb 23, 2013
    Finally, an end of the world thriller that is worth seeing! This remake of 1971's Omega Man is a perfect example of how end of the world movies should occur. The flashbacks to the time before the catastrophe tell the story of what actually happen. Will Smith is really great as Dr. Robert Neville. Instead of going on some insane journey to find an unaffected area, he stays right in theFinally, an end of the world thriller that is worth seeing! This remake of 1971's Omega Man is a perfect example of how end of the world movies should occur. The flashbacks to the time before the catastrophe tell the story of what actually happen. Will Smith is really great as Dr. Robert Neville. Instead of going on some insane journey to find an unaffected area, he stays right in the heart of the crisis and tries to fix it. He is a great example of a true hero and Will Smith portrays it perfectly. Smith's personality in a dark and somber movie is a bright spot and his interplay with the innocuous things he encounters is fantastic. Will Smith make the film, aided by a great story and some really cool special effects. This is a good one! Expand
  29. Jan 23, 2013
    Very good movie with a great performance by Will Smith.
  30. Dec 30, 2012
    Will Smith did a great job in the movie. The dog was really a great part of the movie and I almost cried when he had to kill his own dog. The ending was amazing and sad at the same time. Its a great accomplishment when you can make a grown man nearly cry in a horror movie.
  31. Dec 24, 2012
    While the acting is great, there is nothing really going on in this movie. Diagnosis: See for your own eyes, but at the end, I felt confused. Not because it is a piece of crap, but because it was almost like there wasn't a need for this film to be made. This is not a film like "Wall-E" where you can sit there and it's great- this movie...just see it and you'll know what i mean.
    Pros:
    Pros: Great direction, and perhaps interesting.
    Cons: Boring at some points.
    Guilty pleasure: It's not that bad.
  32. Nov 28, 2012
    "I Am Legend" not only features an extraordinarily impressive performance from Will Smith, but it succeeds in delivering a truly straightforward, yet undeinably forlorn and affecting story.
  33. Aug 18, 2012
    An underrated sci-fi flick that boasts a great performance by Will Smith, some good (if obvious) CGI work, and an interesting premise that plays out pretty well. I also recommend watching the version containing the alternate ending instead of the theatrical version.
  34. Mar 27, 2012
    in my opinion it was a really well made film, nice story and the camera work was also good. Its a shame that the story was a little way too strict, but I enjoyed it and i would recommend checking it : )
  35. Feb 4, 2012
    Will Smith is an especially popular actor who makes particularly bad movies. He is usually serviceable in his performance, but never any good. This film is a remake of the far more enigmatic and entertaining B-movie from the 1970s, Will Smith walks around abandoned Manhattan and tries to survive against heavily CGI vampires. There is no villain. There are no great action sequences. ThereWill Smith is an especially popular actor who makes particularly bad movies. He is usually serviceable in his performance, but never any good. This film is a remake of the far more enigmatic and entertaining B-movie from the 1970s, Will Smith walks around abandoned Manhattan and tries to survive against heavily CGI vampires. There is no villain. There are no great action sequences. There aren't any great lines. It's actually boring. The only part of the movie that was somewhere good was the opening sequence where the US Military has to shoot down the Brooklyn Bridge to quarantine Manhattan because the plague is starting. But that part had nothing to do with the rest of the movie. Expand
  36. Dec 22, 2011
    I thought it was good for the most part. The biggest flaw of the movie was that it too far too long to get into. It was solid overall though, The acting was ok and Will Smith's performance did help carry the film during it's boring parts.
  37. Oct 20, 2011
    This movie really could have been an 8, but it lacked certain things. The story is good, and the destroyed abandoned New York City is amazing. It was created really well digitally. The story is quite creepy, as it shows just the "last man on Earth" and his dog. There isn't a lot of action in it, though the action scenes are good. The effects are great and Will Smith played his part reallyThis movie really could have been an 8, but it lacked certain things. The story is good, and the destroyed abandoned New York City is amazing. It was created really well digitally. The story is quite creepy, as it shows just the "last man on Earth" and his dog. There isn't a lot of action in it, though the action scenes are good. The effects are great and Will Smith played his part really well. The zombies look great, especially close up. It's not so much a horror movie, though there are a few creepy scenes. This movie should appeal to any action movie fan and most horror fans. Expand
  38. Oct 17, 2011
    A very enjoyable film featuring a very stellar performance by Will Smith. The story is very captivating even if a little too short for my liking. As a fan of sci-fi titles, this one stands among some of the better, more refined. I can easily recommend this movie to anyone, even those who do not care to much for the horror.
  39. Oct 9, 2011
    Smith was very well on this role and a vision of apocalyptic and devastated world is always interesting for me but it can't help but I felt like "I Am Legend" lacked of something more substantial.
  40. Oct 1, 2011
    This movie failed to keep my attention. Not only that the movie became very unrealistic. I watched this movie as it was rated as a vampire movie but it clearly was not.
  41. Sep 10, 2011
    "I Am Legend", a horror movie starring Will Smith, could have become a better movie with the idea it pertains. However, all I saw was a monotonous movie where Will Smith was running away from infected zombie-like creatures with a unexplained horrific ending.
  42. Jul 1, 2011
    Not quite as intense as I thought it'd be. The storyline was pretty interesting, not quite as innovative, but not a snooze-fest either. Will Smith was actually really good, especially in a film that has only two other real characters, he demonstrated quite a lot of acting ability. On the other hand, the other 'supporting cast' aka the zombies, were quite disappointing. The visual effectsNot quite as intense as I thought it'd be. The storyline was pretty interesting, not quite as innovative, but not a snooze-fest either. Will Smith was actually really good, especially in a film that has only two other real characters, he demonstrated quite a lot of acting ability. On the other hand, the other 'supporting cast' aka the zombies, were quite disappointing. The visual effects were rather bad, and they looked too fake - digitised, however you want to call it. Just not quite as good as it could have been. Plus, overall, the film does not offer us anything new that any other zombie film before. Not the best of zombie films, but at least it will keep you entertained and watching. More than that one cannot expect, unfortunately. Expand
  43. Jun 16, 2011
    Has so much potential, but doesn't give out the best it could have. This movie could of easily been one of the best movies of all times, but falls into more of just being a good movie. I enjoyed this movie, a lot. It's a very sad entertaining movie. I recommend getting the two disc package which comes with alternate ending and deleted scenes. But yes this movie is good. Nothing more.
  44. May 29, 2011
    A nice movie. Will Smith can handle with the task of "bringing the movie back and forth." Charismatic and with easiness to take the audience to feel empathy for the actor, brings the movie a watchable story, a road median, a satisfactory performance of the 'ubiquitous' in the film. Something missing from the movie to surprise him (to my eyes). It has a good start giving introduction to theA nice movie. Will Smith can handle with the task of "bringing the movie back and forth." Charismatic and with easiness to take the audience to feel empathy for the actor, brings the movie a watchable story, a road median, a satisfactory performance of the 'ubiquitous' in the film. Something missing from the movie to surprise him (to my eyes). It has a good start giving introduction to the theme early on, bits of action with the suspense surrounding the film from beginning till the end, and this order and unsatisfactory, rushed ending, very busy, badly exploited. What a beautiful and excellent post-apocalyptic scenario, a relationship of 'the dog is man's best friend' beautiful to see, nice to be assisted. Few speeches in the film, which generates more attention to facial expressions that the actor brings in a rather peculiar scenes, showing how the man is afraid of being alone. The desperation of loneliness. When this happens, imagination and creativity arises resulting in comic scenes. It is noteworthy that the soundtrack was well introduced in the dialogues. But suddenly puff. The film slows down, something has changed in the course, and lost the harmony we had on the beginning. A suspenseful drama, tried to escape the cliché but was unsuccessful. Alice Braga could have been easily replaced by a dummy, no emotion added by the character in the film. Left to be desired, expected more. Less is more, a little "overrated." Expand
  45. Apr 30, 2011
    A decent rework of the novel. The atmosphere was very sad and the creatures were generally pretty creepy. However, the supposedly intentional fright moments are plagued with jump scares, a technique I feel is lazy and over used, especially in modern horror films. Smith is okay. He's not bad, but he's okay. All in all, an adequate flick.
  46. Mar 20, 2011
    An awful film that seemed to confide in it's own pointlessness. Will Smith shows considerable acting talent, there is no mistaking that, it is the plot and setting that cause discomfort. The film, with all of it's suspense and horror, seems to work up to a specific climax, but this climax proves wholeheartedly unconvincing and unsatisfying. In other words: the movie is long-stretched, atAn awful film that seemed to confide in it's own pointlessness. Will Smith shows considerable acting talent, there is no mistaking that, it is the plot and setting that cause discomfort. The film, with all of it's suspense and horror, seems to work up to a specific climax, but this climax proves wholeheartedly unconvincing and unsatisfying. In other words: the movie is long-stretched, at some points boring, even, and bland. Expand
  47. Feb 14, 2011
    I Am Legend is what you get when you take the Zombie apocalypse but replace the Zombies with vampires, Will Smith makes a great performance in this movie, I wasn't sure what to expect with this movie but it turned out to be a emotionally moving, pulse quickening experience, and one of the best movie i've ever seen.
  48. Oct 19, 2010
    well done and interpreted, a little bit pathetic, not that kind of movie you'd like to watch again (again and again neither). not that thrilling, not that romantic, not that reflexive as the makers probably meant it
  49. Oct 9, 2010
    Great Movie, this movie made me love German Shepards. And this movie made me adore Will Smith's work. Its a great time as you take a trip with the Last man on Earth
  50. Aug 25, 2010
    Works extremely well, normally when the Zombies aren't on the screen. Mainly because they're not scary, at all in fact they're hilarious. A few problems I had include the Zombies can extend their Jaws 180 degrees, the love interest compulsory in most of these films appears to have been replaced by a dog, the VERY convenient timing of someone else showing up after so many years alone andWorks extremely well, normally when the Zombies aren't on the screen. Mainly because they're not scary, at all in fact they're hilarious. A few problems I had include the Zombies can extend their Jaws 180 degrees, the love interest compulsory in most of these films appears to have been replaced by a dog, the VERY convenient timing of someone else showing up after so many years alone and Nevilles grenades appear to be nuclear bombs judging by the damage they do. I would have vastly preferred the movie to have taken place during some of it's strongest scenes, when Neville is trying to get his wife and child out of the besieged city. I don't know there's potential for a good film in here but something went wrong on the drawing board and besides the book has already been done much better in the "Omega Man". I probably would go and see a prequel to the film but I wouldn't go see a sequel. Expand
  51. Aug 23, 2010
    Very creepy and unsettling but really good. Will Smith's acting in this is phenomal and the environments are spectacular. The only thing is that the end isn't that great.
  52. MrAgnostos
    Feb 18, 2010
    Am I the only one who noticed the striking religious theme? Christian allegory and themes run through this movie and as a non-religious person, this instantly put me off the it. Science is the catalyst that triggers mankind's demise, sure, but it's also increasingly apparent that the DarkSeekers or whatever theyre called, are almost inevitable consequences of modern living. Will Am I the only one who noticed the striking religious theme? Christian allegory and themes run through this movie and as a non-religious person, this instantly put me off the it. Science is the catalyst that triggers mankind's demise, sure, but it's also increasingly apparent that the DarkSeekers or whatever theyre called, are almost inevitable consequences of modern living. Will Smith, our saviour, has fallen out with God, though he essentially 'sees the light' near the end. The light and dark themes are biblical. The woman and boy who see out the movie and christian, and practically the final scene of the movie is of a church, bells ringing... theres plenty more, but like C.S. Lewis' books, once I discovered their true nature as a child, I was just instantly put off. Expand
  53. TWood
    Nov 26, 2009
    Great acting from Will Smith and plenty of edge of the seat (as well as poignant) moments. Overall, an entertaining and emotional journey.
  54. kristianv.
    Oct 14, 2009
    A terrific movie. Great acting, amazing music, unbelievable atmosphere and overall just a really good movie. The only reason I'm not giving it a 10, is because the night scenes aren't nearly as strong as the day scenes.
  55. jackv
    Oct 12, 2009
    Awful, I liked smith in fresh prince and all his wacky nonsense movies such as Wild Wild West and Men in Black, but after this an I, Robot, he needs to be run out of Hollywood by a torch carrying mob. A monstrosity of a film that dishonors another great book.
  56. CastorT.
    Aug 19, 2009
    Very good movie but too much CGI.
  57. MarianS
    Aug 4, 2009
    Fairly entertaining, though it deviated widely from the source material.
  58. SeanF
    Jun 7, 2009
    An interesting updating of the original novel. Will Smith shows that he can actually act. Sometimes when I make that statement people give a quizickle look, but, remember that most of the film is Smith acting on his own with a dog, and he holds the audiences interest. One of the few films that brings a tear to my eye during one certain scene. However, what the hell is up with the new An interesting updating of the original novel. Will Smith shows that he can actually act. Sometimes when I make that statement people give a quizickle look, but, remember that most of the film is Smith acting on his own with a dog, and he holds the audiences interest. One of the few films that brings a tear to my eye during one certain scene. However, what the hell is up with the new ending? It sucks,and also makes the film title itself nonsensical. Collapse
  59. alkebulanp
    May 29, 2009
    A total waste of smith's talent. ur basic night creatures from hell re-make w little imagination or creativity on display. too many scenes filmed in near total darkness, but then, there's little illumination in the entire film.
  60. doiknoyunope
    May 27, 2009
    The only reason this movie gets a 1 is because of Will Smith!! This movie was horrible! How could this movie get 10s(from you guys) and 90s(from critics)? I don't understand. in my opion this movie was unclear...I can honestly say that I paid attention to the whole movie and to this day I still do not understand anything that happened in the whole movie. If anyone would care to The only reason this movie gets a 1 is because of Will Smith!! This movie was horrible! How could this movie get 10s(from you guys) and 90s(from critics)? I don't understand. in my opion this movie was unclear...I can honestly say that I paid attention to the whole movie and to this day I still do not understand anything that happened in the whole movie. If anyone would care to explain, please feel free to do so. Expand
  61. JeremyE
    Feb 22, 2009
    if it wasn't for will smith this movie would have gotten a 0. his acting really is the only reason to see it. The story feels disjointed, like it's pausing itself every ten minutes. That makes the movie kind of like a chore to watch. Take my advice, don't watch this.
  62. AC
    Dec 18, 2008
    I've seen all 3 of the "I am Legend" movies and it seems like each one gets farther and farther from the book. And I've read the book several times. I was blown away by the story, so much so that when I finished it I had to read it again that same night. Now of the 3 movies, Last man on earth, Omega Man, I am Legend this is by far the worst of them. I gave this movie two views I've seen all 3 of the "I am Legend" movies and it seems like each one gets farther and farther from the book. And I've read the book several times. I was blown away by the story, so much so that when I finished it I had to read it again that same night. Now of the 3 movies, Last man on earth, Omega Man, I am Legend this is by far the worst of them. I gave this movie two views to give it a chance and hated it so much more the second time around. They changed some much of it from the book why even call it I am Legend.. And the ending?!? Who came up with that!!!!! It was GARBAGE but then again in Hollywood it's all about making money and not being true to the source material. Well I've said my piece if you want to watch go for it hopefully you'll get some enjoyment out of this stinker as for me I wasted 3 plus hours of my life that I'll never get back. Expand
  63. PaulaD.
    Nov 22, 2008
    This movie will satisfy those who like sci-fi and action movies with an entertaining plot and beautiful scenery.
  64. ChrisM.
    Nov 14, 2008
    Excellent acting by Will Smith, Really brought you into the mood of the movie.
  65. LyndellK.
    Oct 25, 2008
    This movie with Will Smith's performance deserves a 10. The monsters some say were not scary well they were not supposed to be these horrible thing they were people infected by a virus the thought of these soulless shells of what used to be a human had me at the edge the entire time. Then how it showed this man who had lost everything at the edge releasing that all he has are himself This movie with Will Smith's performance deserves a 10. The monsters some say were not scary well they were not supposed to be these horrible thing they were people infected by a virus the thought of these soulless shells of what used to be a human had me at the edge the entire time. Then how it showed this man who had lost everything at the edge releasing that all he has are himself and these In-Human creatures it was amazing. The movie go's from Thriller to Horror to Drama then has an ending that was unexpected and that Greatly Combined all of the genres that went from absolutely nothing anyone could possibly do, too an Amazing miracle happening That left me want to know so much more about the apocalyptic time. the only draw back is i prefer reaL people instead of GFX. great movie 9-10 and one of the best performances i've ever seen by an actor. Expand
  66. liamf.
    Oct 22, 2008
    I loved this movie, but i thought the alternate ending would of been so much better and of made so much more sense and would of been closer to the book. it would of made the title make sense.
  67. AnthonyK.
    Sep 13, 2008
    "...this was a powerful film will smith plays a wonderful performance this film it was just as good as 28 days later & 28 weeks later.it just goes to show yo how much heart & passion the man had into finding a cure".
  68. AGuy
    Sep 1, 2008
    This film is really good but when compared to the book (which is a masterpiece) you notice the changes a lot. In the book he's alone most of the time as he doesn't even have a dog. The vamps are a lot more human in book. Also if you call this a rip-off of other films it's more or less impossible because it's based on a book. (It's by richard matheson - GET IT!).
  69. Annoymous
    Jul 7, 2008
    Not as good as I expected to be. It was too short and the ending is terrible and unsatisfying. Really overrated. Also the CGI effects were unimpressive.
  70. JasonD.
    Jun 9, 2008
    This was yet another great movie with Will Smith. I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to seeing his next movie....Hancock.
  71. DuncanM.
    Jun 3, 2008
    Ok, the movie is exciting in parts and the scenes of desolation do more than Will smith could in ten movies to evoke a world emptied. But the book has been butchered folks. This is NOT how the book is! I know screenwriters need to take liberties and "adapt" books to screenplays, but they have really gone to town on this. Other parts that really bring the movie down are developed scenes Ok, the movie is exciting in parts and the scenes of desolation do more than Will smith could in ten movies to evoke a world emptied. But the book has been butchered folks. This is NOT how the book is! I know screenwriters need to take liberties and "adapt" books to screenplays, but they have really gone to town on this. Other parts that really bring the movie down are developed scenes that go nowhere. The nightstalkers are meant to be dumb ravenous animals at a bestial level, or are they... After watching the movie i still don't know, i know what happened in the book. And it wasn't a farcical game of "chase the black man whilst roaring, then set up elaborate traps in their spare time" Overall I'm really disappointed that they didn't incorporate the main twist that was in the book. Read the book , avoid the movie. Expand
  72. NigelM.
    Jun 2, 2008
    Terrible rip-off of 28 days later with 10 times the budget, but none of the atmosphere. The script is clunking, Will Smith has none of his usual charm and the CGI ruins it completely. There are some nonsensical bits of talking to shop dummies, which were unintentionally comical, but mostly this is just a dull re-hash of very tired post-world- destruction themes done without flare or imagination.
  73. EmilyM.
    May 27, 2008
    Fairly entertaining...but very reminiscent of 28 DAYS LATER. Kind of scary with all the zombies hiding in the dark, but the film has quite a few loose ends. HOW did the infection start? The movie starts out with the announcement that there is a cure for cancer, and then suddenly most of the world is dead? How and why is the protagonist immune to the virus? What happened to his wife and Fairly entertaining...but very reminiscent of 28 DAYS LATER. Kind of scary with all the zombies hiding in the dark, but the film has quite a few loose ends. HOW did the infection start? The movie starts out with the announcement that there is a cure for cancer, and then suddenly most of the world is dead? How and why is the protagonist immune to the virus? What happened to his wife and kid? And WHY are there lions and deer running wild around New York City? And why aren't they infected? Shouldn't they be ZOMBIE lions? Weird movie. Kind of pointless, in my opinion. Expand
  74. JiaqiC.
    May 19, 2008
    The alienation and fear experienced by Robert Neville is brilliantly projected (to great effect) in the first half...then it unfortunately deteriorates into a mindless action film.
  75. JoseR.
    Apr 26, 2008
    This movie is one of the best I've ever seen. Not only is it suspenseful but it also gives you a sense that its real. For ME this movie is the best.
  76. T.A.
    Apr 13, 2008
    This is really one of those films that wastes all it's time creating this huge marketing campaign claiming it to be the blockbuster only to shortshoot it and rush out a half finished and half assed movie. I honestly believe that if they had added even another 20min. to it it would have achieved greatness. Because your suddenly thrust into this random collection of happenings and This is really one of those films that wastes all it's time creating this huge marketing campaign claiming it to be the blockbuster only to shortshoot it and rush out a half finished and half assed movie. I honestly believe that if they had added even another 20min. to it it would have achieved greatness. Because your suddenly thrust into this random collection of happenings and flashbacks without any actual sense of what the fuck is going on or where it's going or what's happening leaving you staring at the screen in the end going wtf!? It just doesn't feel like I Am Legend is an actual movie because it never actually explains anything. Aside from that though it's really just as good as your average Hollywood "Blockbuster". So when it comes right down to it I Am Legend was the short and half-assed movie that almost could. Expand
  77. FurduiA.
    Apr 8, 2008
    Take all the bad zombie movies, put them toghether, add some new technologies and some good actors and you'll get to "I am legend", which is a great movie. It has only one weak spot - when Will is saved from the gazillion zombies by one lady and her kid :))) In the next evening you'll see that all the lights, bombs and other devices placed around Will's house are unable to Take all the bad zombie movies, put them toghether, add some new technologies and some good actors and you'll get to "I am legend", which is a great movie. It has only one weak spot - when Will is saved from the gazillion zombies by one lady and her kid :))) In the next evening you'll see that all the lights, bombs and other devices placed around Will's house are unable to keep the zombies away, but apparently the night before they had a headacke and the Rambo lady kicked their asses. Expand
  78. TonyB.
    Apr 4, 2008
    A tremendous production design is just about its only virtue...surprisingly boring in spots.
  79. BrianH.
    Apr 2, 2008
    Wow, I wasn't expecting too much and it was even worse than I thought. Every 10 minutes something happens in the script that just baffles me. Pure Hollywood trash and Will Smith is just playing himself again. barf.
  80. Adev
    Apr 1, 2008
    Good movie but bit weird at times I guess thats why its a sci fi.
  81. Mobius
    Mar 31, 2008
    Good points: Smith and the dog manage to hold the film together and give a believable performance of being alone in the city. Bad Points: Awful CGI infected creatures. having Faith in god pushed in your face. Oh did i mention crap CGI Animation.
  82. Ossobuco
    Mar 29, 2008
    Why do I have this nagging feeling that will smith might turn out to be a decent actor should he stop being so aware of being will smith. If he stopped choosing bad hollow movies to star in couldn't hurt. Some sloppy CGI to booth.
  83. SteveT.
    Mar 28, 2008
    Just in case some of those other reviewers are confused - this is NOT a zombie flick. Read the book.
  84. FrederickM.
    Mar 27, 2008
    its a pretty stellar movie until the mutated come in, thats when things spiral out of control, also has a pretty dumb ending.
  85. DamienR.
    Mar 25, 2008
    Easily one of the best movies of 2007. The special effects are great, the story is great, the acting by Will Smith is some of the best he's ever delivered and this movie is just generally a thrill ride from start to finish. I also thought the ending was very suitable and cant imagine why it was prone to such criticism when it suited the story so well.
  86. AndyB.
    Mar 25, 2008
    I give it a 2 just because I finished the movie. The Director of this movie, previously was a music video maker. Proof that Hollywood knows how to market and rip off the consumer, throw Will Smith into a movie, make some cool movie posters and one-liners keep it PG-13 so the underage can consume it and some cool previews and your gonna make money. This movie started pretty cool, but was I give it a 2 just because I finished the movie. The Director of this movie, previously was a music video maker. Proof that Hollywood knows how to market and rip off the consumer, throw Will Smith into a movie, make some cool movie posters and one-liners keep it PG-13 so the underage can consume it and some cool previews and your gonna make money. This movie started pretty cool, but was crap after the first half. Left a lot of things unexplained, didn't play up the zombies at all. The zombies looked like something out of Shrek the CG stuff, just didn't do it. This whole movie was an identity crisis. Didn't know what it wanted to be, should it be a moralistic, allegory, or a end of the world horror flick, or both? Never figured it out. I wanted to like it, but my gut was right on this one. No good. Expand
  87. ColinC.
    Mar 25, 2008
    Very enjoyable film. Some of the crits left me with lower expectations, but it really was a very good film. I found the premise quite believable, which made it all the scarier, and the effects were very well done. And I thought they did a good job keeping the story interesting. Definitely recommend it.
  88. ThatemW.
    Mar 24, 2008
    This was a great movie. Loved the whole thing. Ending could be better, but it was still pretty good. CG was really good too.
  89. PeterJ.
    Mar 21, 2008
    Will Smith comes away with another great performance! It is a shame he does not get the credit he deserves. He should have won an Oscar for The Pursuit of Happyness. Or at least been nominated...
  90. MikeS.
    Mar 20, 2008
    What could have been a great plot came off as a vehicle for Will Smith desperately attempting to win acclaim as a dramatic actor. If they had named his dog "wilson", it might have at least been a good comedic spoof instead of a poor attempt on Smith's part to imitate the character played flawlessly by Tom Hanks in Castaway. Will Smith is a very talented guy, he can pull off the wise What could have been a great plot came off as a vehicle for Will Smith desperately attempting to win acclaim as a dramatic actor. If they had named his dog "wilson", it might have at least been a good comedic spoof instead of a poor attempt on Smith's part to imitate the character played flawlessly by Tom Hanks in Castaway. Will Smith is a very talented guy, he can pull off the wise guy - stunt pilot character ala Independence Day as well as any actor. But his performance in this film is strained and overdone, and too much time is spent showing close-ups meant to showcase emotions that don't really come through believably. Not a terrible movie, but very forgettable. Expand
  91. KenH.
    Mar 20, 2008
    Deeply flawed after the first hour. Really a shame because the movie had enormous potential. Once gets a sense the folks making the movie had no idea what kind of story to tell. The CGI animations are surprisingly bad -- what the heck happened there?
  92. DaleE.
    Mar 20, 2008
    This movie was Awesome, with great special effects, and an eerie look at New York in the future. The ending was not as good, but the alternate one looks cool from the Trailers!
  93. MichaelR
    Mar 18, 2008
    Its a great Scifi movie and Will Smith proves again what a great actor he is.He was mostly by himself in the movie but he can hold the audience to watch the movie with his great acting.The story is very believable and very unpredictable.This movie is better then most Stephen King movies.
  94. JayH.
    Mar 11, 2008
    Awesome special effects a feel for the near future. Believably done, genuinely scary, great pace and very tense throughout the first hour, it bogs down a bit after that, but it is a powerful and compelling film. It can be disturbing as well.
  95. BladeU.
    Mar 6, 2008
    A zombie flick for anyone, including those who can't handle the gore of the Resident Evil Antagonists. I Am Legend amazes viewers, a story that can be enjoyed by anyone even with only one main character. It wows audiences with it's remodeled post-apocalypse environment. The Flash-back-filled story line thrilled me and I'm sure it will thrill most audiences. Bravo I Am Legend.
  96. GeorgeN.
    Mar 4, 2008
    What an amazing movie! I read the book and enjoyed it but this movie not only expanded upon some of the original concepts but gave it much greater depth. It was obvious by reading the book that the author had a limited understanding of human physiology but this movie was put together with a much more realistic approach. I am very excited for the DVD release!
  97. JonH.
    Mar 1, 2008
    Not a GOOD movie but a really FUN movie.
  98. Phil
    Mar 1, 2008
    Thrilling; no disappointments in that area, but any ticket holder could tell you the plot was horribly unoriginal. The "infected" could've been a tad more gruesome as well.
  99. HeatherB.
    Mar 1, 2008
    I really enjoyed this movie. I thought it was a nice blend of comedy and drama with a little action thrown in. People who did not like the movie Cast Away will not like this movie.
  100. LeeP.
    Feb 19, 2008
    Having read the book by Richard Mattheson I was hoping that this offering was going to stay more closely to the text as it is one of my favourite reads. Although it changes the original story a lot and ends on a more upbeat note then the short story it is based on, I didn't hate this film at all. Well the first three quarters anyhow. It has genuine heart at times and you feel for Having read the book by Richard Mattheson I was hoping that this offering was going to stay more closely to the text as it is one of my favourite reads. Although it changes the original story a lot and ends on a more upbeat note then the short story it is based on, I didn't hate this film at all. Well the first three quarters anyhow. It has genuine heart at times and you feel for Will Smith's character when he loses his only friend half way through the film. However the villains of the piece are not scary enough or as inhuman as they are described in the book and this dulls the tension and fear somewhat. The only negative, for me, was the shoddy Hollywood ending where everything gets wrapped up too nicely. Expand

1. Smith, sporting a newly buffed physique, delivers an extraordinary performance as a man slowly coming unglued under the strain of no human contact and a constantly alternating role of hunter and prey.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Remarkably eerie yet annoyingly larded with cheap horror-film shock effects, I Am Legend stands as an effective but also irksome adaptation of Richard Matheson's classic 1954 sci-fi novel.
  3. The first two thirds and change of I Am Legend is terrific mindless fun: crackerjack action with gnashing vampires barely glimpsed (and scarier for that) and how’d-they-do-that New York locations that retroactively justify the traffic jams.