New Line Cinema | Release Date: December 28, 2001
7.1
Generally favorable reviews based on 121 Ratings
WATCH NOW
AkashVijayJan 19, 2015
Erin Cochran ... directs this mess like a substitute teacher soldiering through a day's work for a day's pay. The camera shakes uncontrollably. [I am Sam] is ludicrous, manipulative and shamelessly over-sentimental.
brichardsonNov 26, 2013
"You went full retard, man. Never go full retard. You don't buy that? Ask Sean Penn, 2001, "I Am Sam." Remember? Went full retard, went home empty handed..."

Kirk Lazarus
MichaelF.Apr 1, 2002
So sappy, this movie really wants to be loved and really wants people to care for these characters. So poorly written and sappy. Penn is great, Fanning is great, but she is poorly directed with her acting, at times she seemed too smart.So sappy, this movie really wants to be loved and really wants people to care for these characters. So poorly written and sappy. Penn is great, Fanning is great, but she is poorly directed with her acting, at times she seemed too smart. Michelle stank. Expand
SchoolTeacherMar 7, 2002
I'm afraid I'd have to agree with all the above negative comments. It was so poorly written and predictably sappy that I had to force myself to sit through it. However, I was intrigued by Penn's acting.
GlennP.Aug 6, 2002
Worst 3 hours of my life.