I Can Do Bad All by Myself

6.0

1. TerryC
    Sep 11, 2009
    I just went to see the movie "I Can Do Bad All By Myself" by myself (LOL) & absolutely loved it. The movie has
  2. TR
    Sep 13, 2009
    This movie was amazing! The all-star cast had me crying and laughing at the same time. The music selections were critical to the flow of the movie and were very touching. Everyone can relate to the characters and the story in some fashion. I saw the movie opening night and I will see it again at least twice before it leaves theaters. Go see this movie!!!
  3. CalvinaL
    Sep 14, 2009
    This movie was Tyler Perry's best. Madea's appearance fit in perfectly and did not take away from the messages. Mary J. Blige was excellent and the song was performed extremely well. Go girl.
  4. Evelyn
    Sep 28, 2009
    I really enjoyed this movie.....I loved the religious aspect in which Tyler demonstrates that even a woman that's an adulterer can have a change of heart.
  5. Jul 9, 2012
    The critics have done it AGAIN! They have underated another GREAT Perry film! This movie's too good to get such a low score. People who rated this movie low are just JEALOUS just like spike lee is because Tyler Perry makes GREAT films. REMEMBER.....jealousy is a sin!!!!.....
  6. Amely
    Sep 12, 2009
    Its exactly what you'd expect from Tyler perry, which to me is a very, extremely horrible thing. I saw cause I'm a big fan of Taraji P. Hensen. Her acting in the movie made this predictable, trash bearable. of course its cheesy, look who made it. Its corny on every level. This movie is un-original, nothing is surprising, nothing in this movie takes a risk, completely Its exactly what you'd expect from Tyler perry, which to me is a very, extremely horrible thing. I saw cause I'm a big fan of Taraji P. Hensen. Her acting in the movie made this predictable, trash bearable. of course its cheesy, look who made it. Its corny on every level. This movie is un-original, nothing is surprising, nothing in this movie takes a risk, completely forgettable, I genuinely can not see someone loving this movie. Liking it? Sure. Loving it, come on. Be real. Expand
  7. CameronM
    Sep 12, 2009
    Tyler Perry movies suck PERIOD! He is to black people what the blue collar comedy is to white people... pure crap! Not only is nothing he has ever done funny, it's all the same! It's a shame to see these movies come out so often. LAME LAME LAME. Don't even get me started on his TV series. Thanks to all the people who make chumps like Perry rich. It is truly sickening. Read Tyler Perry movies suck PERIOD! He is to black people what the blue collar comedy is to white people... pure crap! Not only is nothing he has ever done funny, it's all the same! It's a shame to see these movies come out so often. LAME LAME LAME. Don't even get me started on his TV series. Thanks to all the people who make chumps like Perry rich. It is truly sickening. Read a book instead of watching this garbage! You'll be a hell of a lot smarter for it. Expand
  8. ChadS.
    Sep 15, 2009
    Six, count 'em, six songs(both religious and secular) are filmed without abridgement in "I Can Do Bad All By Myself", which is unheard of in a narrative film, let alone, most documentaries with musical subjects. For example, all the executed pieces from the Cuban exiles in Wim Wenders' "The Buena Vista Social Club" are truncated, because the preservation of an unbroken Six, count 'em, six songs(both religious and secular) are filmed without abridgement in "I Can Do Bad All By Myself", which is unheard of in a narrative film, let alone, most documentaries with musical subjects. For example, all the executed pieces from the Cuban exiles in Wim Wenders' "The Buena Vista Social Club" are truncated, because the preservation of an unbroken performance is normally reserved for concert films. Although Mary J. Blige's take on the title song has the power to move even the most die-hard anglophile, her scintillating performance still doesn't cover up the fact that the narrative arrives at a standstill. (The best of the film's six timeouts.) Even worse, story-wise, she's the wrong singer. It would have made more sense had April(Taraji J. Henson) sung the film's showstopper, since the title "I Can Do Bad All By Myself" alludes to the flaky woman's appalling lack of character, shaky life decisions, and overall bizarre behavior. (As to why Tanya is bad, never makes it to the screen.) This filmmaker knows his audience; he knows his base won't be fazed-out by April's unfounded transformation into a generous spirit after just one visit to the Baptist church. To Henson's credit, the secular moviegoer almost forgets that April blew cigarette smoke in the direction of an asthmatic child. She manages to make her character halfway sympathetic, in spite of her schematic character arc. The breakout star from Craig Brewer's "Hustle and Flow" has to conceal a glaring oversight in the film, which might have been caused in due part from the time constraints brought upon by the narrative-siphoning songs. When the children's grandmother(April's mom) goes missing, neither she nor the orphans, inexplicably, are seen talking to the cops. Nobody goes looking for the old woman. Expand
  9. NeilB
    Sep 15, 2009
    Its tough for me to overlook some glaring issues with the movie. While I try to support Tyler, its clear that he needs to evolve as a director. The movie quite frankly looks low-budget (with the one predictable set shown of the street over and over again) When the child says "my bed, my bed" it became laughable, when Tyler intermingles the high melodrama the product becomes a sad, Its tough for me to overlook some glaring issues with the movie. While I try to support Tyler, its clear that he needs to evolve as a director. The movie quite frankly looks low-budget (with the one predictable set shown of the street over and over again) When the child says "my bed, my bed" it became laughable, when Tyler intermingles the high melodrama the product becomes a sad, predictable overreach dramatic breakdown of Black Lives and Family's. And Now it seems he's leveraging this formula to go all the bank, at our expense. Expand
  10. kgm
    Sep 21, 2009
    Give credit to Tyler Perry for not glamorizing drug dealing, criminal activities, selfish actions and the like. Tyler Perry advocates practical Christian and family values. Sure, his positive characters are a little too good, too clean, too upstanding but ya got to find your heroes somewhere.
  11. DARCYH
    Sep 20, 2009
    iT WAS A GREAT MOVIE, IT SHOWED YOU EVERYDAY ISSUES, ESPECIALLY WHAT CHILDREN REALLY GO THROUGH AND I REALLY THINK THAT WAS GREAT. iT ALSO TEACHES YOU THAT YOU CAN TRUST OTHERS AND YOU MUST TRUST YOURSELF , I WOULD WATCH THIS MOVIE OVER AND OVER AGAIN.............
  12. AnneG
    Sep 15, 2009
    First off, I love Madea...secondly, I believe that Mr. Perry takes everyday situations, flaws that everyone, no matter what color, & spotlights them...he could have had nobodys playing these parts & the message would have still shone through. Great movie!
  13. NatalieC
    Sep 16, 2009
    You know, we just have to appreciate how Tyler Perry continuously drives the messages to us. He used celebrity, song, drama, and The Word to deliver the message. I know that everyone that i have talked to personally that has seen the movie has not stopped talking about it. It is truly his best to date. Keep it real Tyler, keep it real!
  14. LuisG
    Sep 23, 2009
    The message is clear and simple ... laugh, cry and learn another wonderful addition to the perry catalog.
  15. Jan 16, 2015
    Perry's rom -com has the same black humor in every one of his comedy series, i just love the guy cause his humor was funny and he adds heart in his creativity now i just do not buy it. The humor got old and Perry's jokes aren't funny there basically the same and i am sick of it. the movie "I can do bad all by myself" (aka Mary J Blige's song.) The way that Tyler Perry wrote Taraji PPerry's rom -com has the same black humor in every one of his comedy series, i just love the guy cause his humor was funny and he adds heart in his creativity now i just do not buy it. The humor got old and Perry's jokes aren't funny there basically the same and i am sick of it. the movie "I can do bad all by myself" (aka Mary J Blige's song.) The way that Tyler Perry wrote Taraji P Henson's character was literally the best part in this movie, Henson plays the **** alcoholic aunt April who has no choice to care of her sister's kids ( the grandmother was supposed to take care of them), Perry has a mild good choice of good actors some shine some are just there just to be funny; but taraji shines! and nail's it, Perry writes and directs this movie well done. Blige acted superb and stunning as April's friend Tanya, the charming Gladys Knight did fine and really outstanding. Grade C+ Expand

1. Perry also spices things up with two of his most reliable fallbacks: music, and Madea. Having packed his cast with singers, he allows them all a moment to shine, with songs that deliver his patented lessons (trust in yourself, trust in others, trust in God).
    With Bad, Perry is savvy enough to let riveting musical numbers by ringers like Gladys Knight and Mary J. Blige--along with Henson’s deeply empathetic performance--carry the film’s feverish emotions more than his characteristically ham-fisted screenplay.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    Perry's latest emotional roller coaster starts with considerable promise and a high-wattage cast, including Taraji P. Henson and singers Gladys Knight and Mary J. Blige, before giving way to melodramatic predictability.