I, Frankenstein

4.2

1. Jan 28, 2014
    Lacks the entertainment factor of the typical junk month action/fantasy movie. Eckhart is less than compelling, falling in an awkward limbo between trying too hard and not hard enough. Same could be said about the film. It's horrible if taken seriously, but it doesn't quite fit the fun criteria for cult film either. Too much cheering for the credits and not the film itself. Spend ticketLacks the entertainment factor of the typical junk month action/fantasy movie. Eckhart is less than compelling, falling in an awkward limbo between trying too hard and not hard enough. Same could be said about the film. It's horrible if taken seriously, but it doesn't quite fit the fun criteria for cult film either. Too much cheering for the credits and not the film itself. Spend ticket money elsewhere! Expand
  2. Jan 29, 2014
    Even while keeping in mind the genre and target audience of this movie, it's yet another letdown in today's theatre. Clunky dialogue, ambiguous purpose, and a profound inability to make the audience care. Neat visuals, but like everything else this movie has to offer, it's superficial at best. If you're not particularly invested in a specific aspect of the movie, I would recommend waitingEven while keeping in mind the genre and target audience of this movie, it's yet another letdown in today's theatre. Clunky dialogue, ambiguous purpose, and a profound inability to make the audience care. Neat visuals, but like everything else this movie has to offer, it's superficial at best. If you're not particularly invested in a specific aspect of the movie, I would recommend waiting for it to be offered at online steaming sites/rental than to pay high fees at the cinema. Expand
  3. Apr 1, 2014
    Some graphic novels work as films and some don't. I, Frankenstein is the latter. A cookie-cutter copy of the likes of Underworld (Bill Nighy turns up for probably half a day's shooting and a nice pay check) with low quality SFX and a pacing aimed at 8 year olds. That films like this get funding is a sad reflection of what Hollywood execs think they can get away with. The fact that itSome graphic novels work as films and some don't. I, Frankenstein is the latter. A cookie-cutter copy of the likes of Underworld (Bill Nighy turns up for probably half a day's shooting and a nice pay check) with low quality SFX and a pacing aimed at 8 year olds. That films like this get funding is a sad reflection of what Hollywood execs think they can get away with. The fact that it bombed so badly at the box-office shows that they need to start upping their game. Mary Shelley would be spinning in her grave. Expand
  4. May 15, 2014
    There is no soul in I, Frankenstein. This movie is nothing more but just another popcorn monster movie that was meant to give audience a fun time but it failed to produce.
  5. Sep 2, 2014
    I've read original book by Mary Shelley and the idea of this movie wasn't drawn from blank. Beginning was fine, but then ... gargoyles vs demons? Frankenstein incredibly powerful, crushing walls, and few seconds later he cant get himself up by axe? Queen is good at first, then trying to kill Frankenstein, then good again? Plot has so many flaws, so I could not understand who is good andI've read original book by Mary Shelley and the idea of this movie wasn't drawn from blank. Beginning was fine, but then ... gargoyles vs demons? Frankenstein incredibly powerful, crushing walls, and few seconds later he cant get himself up by axe? Queen is good at first, then trying to kill Frankenstein, then good again? Plot has so many flaws, so I could not understand who is good and who is bad at the end. Frankenstein does not look like he is made from patches apart from some drawn scars and blackened eyes. Bad movie in total, really bad. 310 for special effects and my favorite mystical electricity theme. Expand
  6. Sep 30, 2014
    Just caught "I, Turkey" on Blu-Ray. I was too smart to spend a buck on it i n a theatre. This movie is so bad that it isn't even funny/bad. Maybe it will go down in time as a museum of "OK" CGI. A new CGI effect seems to pop up every minute or so even if the plot (such as it is) does not require any CGI action. Pretty bad!
  7. Jan 24, 2014
    This is one of those movies that don' t deserve to "live" in theaters. Lead actor, Aaron Eckhart is disaster ( my opinion) pale acting, lame CGI in one word complete garbage. Not worth watching.
  8. Jan 24, 2014
    This Movie was awful, if your looking for a movie that makes you puke due to low quality, badly scripted and poorly acted that was made purely to make money you just found the perfect movie.
  9. Jan 24, 2014
    But what’s most frustrating is that the film never attempts to explore, exploit, or elaborate on Adam’s origins in the Frankenstein story, to the extent that it’s easy to occasionally forget the film’s entire premise while watching it. (In fact, Eckhart himself disappears from the proceedings with surprising regularity, spending a good bit of time skulking around in the shadows, listeningBut what’s most frustrating is that the film never attempts to explore, exploit, or elaborate on Adam’s origins in the Frankenstein story, to the extent that it’s easy to occasionally forget the film’s entire premise while watching it. (In fact, Eckhart himself disappears from the proceedings with surprising regularity, spending a good bit of time skulking around in the shadows, listening in on various supporting characters as they spout expository dialogue.) The film is also entirely devoid of humor, and so drably chaste that one can’t help but perk up at the slight glimmer of lust in Terra’s eye when she gets a look at the shirtless Adam’s stacked, stitched musculature in a low-lit bedroom. Alas, the size of this particular monster’s schwanzstucker goes totally unexplored. Director Beattie keeps his camera in constant motion throughout, though it’s sometimes unclear what effect he’s trying to produce. The relentlessly obtrusive score is matched in volume by the sound editing, which renders the rustling of clothes and the turning of pages in a book with floor-quaking resonance. The sets and other production design elements, however, are quite nice to look at when the camera holds still for long enough. Expand
  10. Jan 26, 2014
    O filme é bastante clichê e com efeitos especiais repetitivos, enjoativos e entendiantes depois de meia hora de filme. O enredo é limitado e resume-se à guerra entre gárgulas e demônios. O final é tão mais decepcionante que o filme todo em si. O romance poderia ser melhor trabalhado. Enfim, a produção é fraca. Só vale mesmo a pena pela cena Aaron Eckhart sem camisa, nada que uma busca naO filme é bastante clichê e com efeitos especiais repetitivos, enjoativos e entendiantes depois de meia hora de filme. O enredo é limitado e resume-se à guerra entre gárgulas e demônios. O final é tão mais decepcionante que o filme todo em si. O romance poderia ser melhor trabalhado. Enfim, a produção é fraca. Só vale mesmo a pena pela cena Aaron Eckhart sem camisa, nada que uma busca na internet não resolva. Não recomendo. A versão 3D pelo menos parece ser mais interessante que a versão normal. Expand
  11. Feb 4, 2014
    the script was written with a potato,the acting was like watching monkeys pee their pants and it was directed by a spork.this movie just pooped its pants all the way and we are the ones smelling the liquid feces that came out of this movie.
  12. Jan 24, 2014
    While reminiscent of Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters and Abraham Lincoln, I Frankenstein lacked almost all the humor, wit and self deprecation so well delivered in its predecessors. I don't think I laughed or felt engaged once. I made it through, but this film didn't even achieve B movie bad, there was something about it that made it feel like it was trying too hard instead of the properWhile reminiscent of Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters and Abraham Lincoln, I Frankenstein lacked almost all the humor, wit and self deprecation so well delivered in its predecessors. I don't think I laughed or felt engaged once. I made it through, but this film didn't even achieve B movie bad, there was something about it that made it feel like it was trying too hard instead of the proper thing, which is to come off as trying not hard at all. Eckart, a decent actor, was an acting equivalent to a wet noodle, taking himself way too seriously. I almost wanted to ask him if he looked at the title of the movie before choosing to play his character without winking at the camera once. Unfortunately his six pack looked like it could throw a harder punch than the actor himself. I honestly missed Jeremy Renner and Gemma Artertons sarcastic silliness from hansel and gretel, whose subtle eye rolls now seem to be the perfect way to sell a good time in this kind of film. Maybe I'll be less bitter about this movie as time passes, but for now I'm seriously pissed I wasted those hours of my life on this listless fantasy reboot. Expand
  13. Jan 24, 2014
    Wow. Miranda Otto deserves an oscar for the way she delivered some of the worst writing in the history of film, but most likely she will win a razzie instead. Eckhart deserves one for relying on his (gross) vein-popping muscles to sell campy fun rather than actually selling campy fun. The only person who seemed like they wanted to movie to be over faster than me was him. Yvonne isWow. Miranda Otto deserves an oscar for the way she delivered some of the worst writing in the history of film, but most likely she will win a razzie instead. Eckhart deserves one for relying on his (gross) vein-popping muscles to sell campy fun rather than actually selling campy fun. The only person who seemed like they wanted to movie to be over faster than me was him. Yvonne is beautiful, and is bound to turn heads, but certainly not for any acting she did here. Here's to hoping she can dodge all the tomatoes in the meantime. The action was lame and completely phoned in-just plain boring is probably the nicest thing I can say.

Ultimately it's a failure on all fronts: script, effects, plausibility, action, pace, tone, dedication, direction, and performances (major Aaron Eckhart fail of all things). It's not even fun for chrissake, and not deserving of cult status as the more recent fantasy reboot entries have been. Where is Bruce Campbell when you really really need him?
  14. Feb 3, 2014
    I really wasn't expecting much from this, but to be honest this exceeded my expectations, but then again my expectations were low, still the CGI is awful, the story while original, just becomes a series of boring cliches, and even with Aaron Eckhart trying his best this is still a lame, generic, crappy movie.
  15. Mar 12, 2014
    It's really, really bad. I mean that. It's just bad on so many levels. When I mean bad, I mean "REPETITIVE AND BORING" I, Frankenstein was just too dull for me to actually enjoy it. Oh, And did I mention it was Bad?
  16. May 2, 2014
    Laughable plot that is incredibly generic and predictable, Terrible acting, and god awful CGI. There is simply nothing good about I, Frankenstein and I would not recommend it at all.
  17. Jan 29, 2014
    It's still January and this already qualifies as the worst movie of the year! Aaron Eckhart plays the classic monster all buffed up 200 years later. There's some narrative blur about gargoyles and demons fighting over the fate of humanity, but it's a jumbled mess. The action is just as confusing and the design looks like a dark, unoriginal video game. The only thing to recommend this movieIt's still January and this already qualifies as the worst movie of the year! Aaron Eckhart plays the classic monster all buffed up 200 years later. There's some narrative blur about gargoyles and demons fighting over the fate of humanity, but it's a jumbled mess. The action is just as confusing and the design looks like a dark, unoriginal video game. The only thing to recommend this movie is one scene with Eckhart shirtless, but I've included it in this review, so you can spare yourself the agony. Expand
  18. Feb 5, 2014
    No topic, no humour, no plot. Two hours of meaningless action and dissapointment. If you want to lose 2 hours this movie is for you. This entire movie is only a reason to eat popcorn.
  19. Feb 3, 2014
    You're going to forget about I, Frankenstein for at least 2 days
    Cons-Clunky dialogue, ambiguous purpose, pale acting, lame CGI, badly scripted and a terrible plot
    Pros-It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
    Recommendation-No One
  20. May 15, 2014
    thank god for red box, since this only cost me 1.34. what a piece of garbage - turned it off after ten minutes and i feel like they owe me my ten minutes back.
  21. May 24, 2014
    This movie is straight garbage! I mean i knew that it was going to be from the first time i watched the trailers but i was thinking maybe since Aaron Eckhart is in it i might like it. I know most people hated his alien invasion movie "Battle Los Angeles" but i found it to be not all that bad actually. This movie on the other hand was completely unwatchable, i was starting to fall asleepThis movie is straight garbage! I mean i knew that it was going to be from the first time i watched the trailers but i was thinking maybe since Aaron Eckhart is in it i might like it. I know most people hated his alien invasion movie "Battle Los Angeles" but i found it to be not all that bad actually. This movie on the other hand was completely unwatchable, i was starting to fall asleep half way through and the only reason i finished it was to continue with my at least one movie a day routine and bring you all this review and tell you to save yourself the 90 minutes of eye rape and would prefer you to watch pretty much anything else. The story was crap, the demons were a total rip off of Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer also the way they die was a rip off of Blade, the gargoyles were decent but nothing great, acting was freaking horrendous both Aaron Eckhart and Bill Nighy were a let down, Miranda Otto was completely forgettable, i seriously cant stand Jai Courtney and Yvonne Strahovski was annoying because of her character arc in the film, The one i liked was Caitlin Stasey and she dies not long after you first see her.

Overall i give it a 3.0
  22. May 24, 2014
    What in the world was Aaron Eckhart thinking making this piece of junk. Half way through this movie I stopped caring about anything going on. The script is awful with actors like Eckhart and Nighy having to say some of the dopiest lines in their careers. The only minor saving grace is some of the effects aren't bad. D-
  23. May 27, 2014
    It's exactly as awful as the trailers made clear. Cheap, derivative, takes itself way too seriously. It's a good thing Eckhart's a beaut or it'd be 0.
  24. Jun 7, 2014
    Una película muy mala en la animación me pareció que los personajes eran muy falsos en si la película fue horrible si se toma en serio si Yo realmente esperaba mucho de esto, pero para ser sincero, esto fu horrible, pero por otra parte mis expectativas eran bajas,en cuanto a la historia, me aprecio muy carecida de acción "I, Frankenstein" es uña de las peores películas del año esto esUna película muy mala en la animación me pareció que los personajes eran muy falsos en si la película fue horrible si se toma en serio si Yo realmente esperaba mucho de esto, pero para ser sincero, esto fu horrible, pero por otra parte mis expectativas eran bajas,en cuanto a la historia, me aprecio muy carecida de acción "I, Frankenstein" es uña de las peores películas del año esto es por ahora por que ahora no sabemos que clases de mierdas los directores creen en un futuro no muy cercano. En cuanto ala película tuvo mal Argumento y un pésimo guion.No es culpa de las Actores. Toda la culpa la tiene el guionista hacer malos diálogos. Expand
  25. Jun 17, 2014
    I don't think that I've ever rated a movie with a 0, but this one does not deserve more. After 20 minutes of watching this jest, I felt a sudden urge to throw up.
  26. Jul 11, 2014
    Crummy Underworld copy that fails to deliver on one point besides good picture and sound quality. I'll put it as straight as possible. I, Frankenstein is among the worst I've seen in years. Actually you do not need to read more, it is enough that you trust me when I say you'll never, never see this movie.
  27. Dec 27, 2014
    It's got some solid effects, but they can't save "I, Frankenstein" from an incoherent script, poorly written characters and a loud feeling on the whole thing.
  28. Feb 23, 2015
    I like the idea of two face having another role to play..sure ..why not....but even while watching it again i can see that someone making this movie was thinking the same.... i can also see how the female lead isn't that hot......which i've come to appreciate....as well as the name gideon for Jai Courtney......its all coming together........at least they don't try to do too much.....makesI like the idea of two face having another role to play..sure ..why not....but even while watching it again i can see that someone making this movie was thinking the same.... i can also see how the female lead isn't that hot......which i've come to appreciate....as well as the name gideon for Jai Courtney......its all coming together........at least they don't try to do too much.....makes me wonder as to weather someone might want an army of me.....for reviews and making anything look better......-JRA Expand
  29. Feb 5, 2016
    Are you like speaking to me, my betrayals? You dare want to mess with my monster? THAT DOESN'T EVEN MEAN ANYTHING TO COME UP AND SCREW UP MY MONSTER AS IT IS I, FRANKENSTEIN! Sorry, Frankenstein, you're not alive at all.

1. Reviewed by: Michael O'Sullivan
    Jan 30, 2014
    If it touches on notions of scientific arrogance and the question of what makes us human, it ultimately does so lightly, and with a mix of eye-popping action and loopy good humor.
  2. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Jan 29, 2014
    I, Frankenstein is nowhere near as garishly, ghoulishly awful as "Van Helsing," Universal’s last attempt to resurrect its classic monsters. It’s a grimly fiendish slog nonetheless, and hardly worth getting up out of the grave for.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Jan 27, 2014
    Ambitious of vision and swooping of camera, I, Frankenstein is no "I, Robot," let alone "I, Claudius," but it’s definitely watchable on a cold Jan. evening or, a few months from now, on your I, Pad.