7.1

1. PatC.
    Mar 12, 2007
    Excellent movie on a cerebral level, and proof that genuine creativity is still possible in Hollywood. Too bad the film is structurally weak. The convolutions of the thought processes presented spill over into the plot presentation - just a little too much to juggle on the fly. And sure, it's a comedy, but the music mocks the content. End result: Less than the sum of its parts.
  2. JoeX.
    Nov 19, 2004
    I "defiantly" disagree Joe.
  3. Fusichinucca
    Oct 12, 2004
    Perhaps one of the worst movies Dustin Hoffman, a great actor, has ever been associated with. I guess every actor has a turkey in his portfolio and this is Dustin's. Avoid at all costs.
  4. JekX.
    Nov 6, 2004
    I forgot the question ¿%
  5. DavidL
    Oct 17, 2004
    I'm not sure how many of these reviewers actually saw the film. It's absolutely brilliant and the score couldn't have been better.
  6. MichelleR
    Oct 17, 2004
    I don't handout many 10s, but this one is worth it. Don't go to it if you like the formula most movies follow. Outside of the box and hilarious. If you liked Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, you might like i heart huckabees. if you saw Human Nature and found it amusing but sort of shallow character-wise, my money is you'll like this movie.
  7. JaneA
    Oct 18, 2004
    Really wonderful and hilarious and brilliant.
  8. BillW.
    Dec 20, 2004
    Brave, funny and sweet. Puts virtually every other big-studio comedy of the last year to shame.
  9. AliceZ
    Oct 23, 2004
    I don't really understand why the critics gave this movie such bad reviews. I thought it was very funny, very smart, and so much better that most of the garbage that gets made. If you want something different, go see this. You won't regret it.
  10. ChadS.
    Oct 24, 2004
    Mark Wahlberg, as a fireman, is even more hysterical if you've already seen "Ladder 49". There's a fire, and he's watering the... There's a fire, and he rides... After 9/11, we've elevated the firefighter to superhero status, and rightly so, but everybody deserves to be lampooned sometimes. "I Heart Huckabee" is for those of you who liked Richard Linklater's Mark Wahlberg, as a fireman, is even more hysterical if you've already seen "Ladder 49". There's a fire, and he's watering the... There's a fire, and he rides... After 9/11, we've elevated the firefighter to superhero status, and rightly so, but everybody deserves to be lampooned sometimes. "I Heart Huckabee" is for those of you who liked Richard Linklater's "Waking Life", but wished there was a story to dramatize your metaphysics. Naomi Watts steals this movie. She has the most memorable headwear since Samantha Morton in "Sweet and Lowdown". Expand
  11. BrianM.
    Dec 9, 2004
    Worst movie I have seen this year. Vastly overrated by most american critics with a sense of deja vu in their crits. Emperor's clothes springs to mind. Interesting to note that the more serious and less arty newspapers tended to pan it. Prententious claptrap. Brian McGahon.
  12. KerithP.
    Oct 6, 2004
    So absolutey weird it's brilliant. mark wahlberg was hilarious. lily tomlin, superb.
  13. EddieL.
    Oct 9, 2004
    Awful. A waste of time and money.
  14. JamesM.
    Jan 10, 2005
    Any synopsis makes this movie sound like a pretentious bore ("existential detectives?" give me a break!), but in fact it turned out to be one of the smartest and (surprise!) most humane comedies of the year. David O. Russell proves that he, not Kevin Smith, is the Preston Sturges of our time.
  15. tonybob
    Oct 23, 2005
    I loved this movie so much i couldnt stop laughing everytime i watch it it gets funnier it never plays out. i think this is the most underrated movie this year. mark wahlberg was halarious everytime he's on the screen i cant stop laughing.
  16. AnthonyM.
    Jan 25, 2005
    Almost as funny as "Flying High 1&2" and "Toy Story2." It is definttely ORIGINAL. I never seen a movie like this. The directorship and acting are unique!
  17. JeremyD.
    Feb 21, 2005
    Brilliant! Not a good movie for many people because it's certainly not mainstream. Witty, quirky, odd, with a bit of philosophy thrown in. Great acting.
  18. GregG.
    Feb 24, 2005
    Lily and Dustin are absolutely fantastic together. Mark is a great one man circus. Jason and Jude pull up the short end of the acting spectrum, but they are sustainable since the film is such a great ride. A daring endeavor, simply good fun.
  19. MikeE.
    Feb 25, 2005
    Well as you can see....love it...or hate it. If you like big Hollywood blockbusters like Armageddon or other massive pieces of crap, then avoid this movie like the plague. If you have even an ounce of inner questioning or relate to the total mystery of why you're alive...you'll love this flick.
  20. JimH.
    Feb 26, 2005
    Unlike most Hollywood efforts these days which are aimed at 13-year olds, this film is aimed at 18-year olds. Half-baked ideas are batted about with an earnestness familiar in college dorms. Most of the members of the excellent cast often have a vaguely panicky look in their eyes, like participants in a student production. Given the talent that was employed in making this film, it is a Unlike most Hollywood efforts these days which are aimed at 13-year olds, this film is aimed at 18-year olds. Half-baked ideas are batted about with an earnestness familiar in college dorms. Most of the members of the excellent cast often have a vaguely panicky look in their eyes, like participants in a student production. Given the talent that was employed in making this film, it is a major disappointment. Expand
  21. nallan
    Mar 11, 2005
    Yawn, at only 1hr40mins this was hard to take. Small glimmers of funniness and a few interesting ideas but nothing new. Most films that come out of hollywood treat the audience like an idiot so it is always good to see a film that aims higher. However there other films around that are also doing this and doing a better job at tackling bigger ideas and with a bit more of a punch and better Yawn, at only 1hr40mins this was hard to take. Small glimmers of funniness and a few interesting ideas but nothing new. Most films that come out of hollywood treat the audience like an idiot so it is always good to see a film that aims higher. However there other films around that are also doing this and doing a better job at tackling bigger ideas and with a bit more of a punch and better punchlines. Expand
  22. JohnN
    Mar 16, 2005
    Painfully boring. I kept waiting for it to get on track, but it never did. What a waste of talent. The plot meanders all over the place trying to be philisophical and funny, but just doesn't work.
  23. Adam
    Mar 17, 2005
    I really don't understand the negativity about this movie ... I walked in to the theatre half expecting a bunch of pretentious half-witted blahblahblah. What it is is a totally fun, occasionally manic, caper. Lily Tomlin is the soul of this movie and Marky Mark is the heart. Dustin Hoffman is great too. Schwartzman is a little too sweet for my taste, but he works. Seeing Jude Law I really don't understand the negativity about this movie ... I walked in to the theatre half expecting a bunch of pretentious half-witted blahblahblah. What it is is a totally fun, occasionally manic, caper. Lily Tomlin is the soul of this movie and Marky Mark is the heart. Dustin Hoffman is great too. Schwartzman is a little too sweet for my taste, but he works. Seeing Jude Law puke mayo totally redeemed him in my book. Just see this movie and have fun; then see it again and think (but just a little). Expand
  24. BradS.
    Mar 21, 2005
    Refreshing movie that is actually about something real, or is it?
  25. BrentL
    Mar 23, 2005
    Seeing the movie once makes you laugh. Seeing it again makes you think. Seeing after that makes you act.
  26. eric
    Apr 1, 2005
    Probably one of, if not the best, comedy of the year. gets better with each viewing, too.
  27. alan
    May 23, 2005
    A movie that holds the cynics in such comtempt, while lecturing those that give too much of a sh.t about life. the movie's momentum keeps building until you look forward to the inevitable resolution in the last half hour. such an absurd exercise in character, design, and writing, that it may be a little too polarizing, but if you can go with it, t's a wonderful thing to watch.
  28. JoeB.
    Feb 9, 2007
    If you like the Life Aquatic and Napoleon Dynamite you're probably the sort of person that would like this movie. If like me, you thought those movies sucked, then you should avoid this one, too. In short, this is the sort of movie that is so off the wall it divides people into two groups - one that claims to "get it" and belittles those who are too immature to understand it, and If you like the Life Aquatic and Napoleon Dynamite you're probably the sort of person that would like this movie. If like me, you thought those movies sucked, then you should avoid this one, too. In short, this is the sort of movie that is so off the wall it divides people into two groups - one that claims to "get it" and belittles those who are too immature to understand it, and another group that realizes there is no sense to be found in the movie and there are only a few cheap laughs to be had. Expand
  29. JoeA.
    Nov 12, 2004
    I think I went into this movie expecting too much. I was hoping for a little more from the Hoffman/Tomlin angle. Wahlberg and his character is a pure riot. You gotta like that this movie was made in the first place.
  30. SteveB.
    Nov 17, 2004
    I went in expecting sophormoric discussions of philosophy, but it wasn't anything like that. I even put it off until a Monday night so I wouldn't feel like my weekend was ruined if it was terrible, but I wish I'd gone on a Saturday. Paid $9.25 to see it; would have paid about $15.

1. Despite the unique premise and some truly inspired casting, the picture remains stuck in an existential rut of its own.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Ultimately, Huckabees doesn't work. But it sure does stimulate. This is just the kind of "failure" we could use plenty more of.
    Huckabees is the real thing--an authentic disaster--but the picture is so odd that it should inspire, in at least a part of the audience, feelings of fervent loyalty.