7.1

1. CJMorris
    Dec 11, 2007
    WARNING: this movie is NOT for a general audience like all books are not written for one person, etc. If you like philosophy and ideas, this is as good a dramatization as has been realized on screen. That's Russell's real achievement here. As for the cast, score, design, etc. it's terrific. Well done, Mr. Russell. This film has a heart and a voice that is infinite. An WARNING: this movie is NOT for a general audience like all books are not written for one person, etc. If you like philosophy and ideas, this is as good a dramatization as has been realized on screen. That's Russell's real achievement here. As for the cast, score, design, etc. it's terrific. Well done, Mr. Russell. This film has a heart and a voice that is infinite. An undeniable classic that captures the times. Expand
  2. JohnY.
    Oct 2, 2004
    Absolutely bonkers; this film is not going to make money because it literally slams the audience with a sledgehammer (you'll see what I mean). But still, it's got enormous ambition, a wonderful cast (with a surprise performance from Wahlberg), and is a welcome departure from the boring stuff normally out in the market.
  3. JoeSchmoeR.
    Oct 8, 2004
    The current 53 rating for this film is dumbfounding. This is one of the most original, audacious, and funniest comedies I've seen in a long while. Highly recommended.
  4. JaneA.
    Oct 1, 2004
    This film is wonderfully funny. It's clever and dry and brilliantly absurd. You must see it.
  5. JerryH.
    Oct 2, 2004
    A very funny film with great acting throughout the cast (save a certain cameo). I wish there were more films like this one. Go see this film so more like it can be made. Well done David O.
  6. HeatherO
    Jun 16, 2005
    Some may say this movie is mearly a series of funny, but disconnected and confusing scenes. I say to those people: did you see the scene with the blanket?
  7. DanB.
    Oct 10, 2004
    It was really funny. Weird, slapstick violent, cartoony, and "deep". I have no idea if the deepness is coherent or if it ties together to make sense - but it is funny.
  8. JoeM.
    Nov 10, 2004
    Best Movie that I've seen in years. It is defiantly not for everybody; it does not speak down to the least common denominator. Not everybody will understand this movie; the viewer must have had a glimpse of enlightenment. This movie is about becoming the Buddha and then coming back to Earth. It deals with extremely serious ideas, but it doesn?t take itself seriously. Like everything Best Movie that I've seen in years. It is defiantly not for everybody; it does not speak down to the least common denominator. Not everybody will understand this movie; the viewer must have had a glimpse of enlightenment. This movie is about becoming the Buddha and then coming back to Earth. It deals with extremely serious ideas, but it doesn?t take itself seriously. Like everything in this world, sometimes it?s the Buddha; sometimes it?s not. I can?t wait for the DVD to come out so that I can watch this movie over and over again (but I?ll have to wait just the same). Expand
  9. ok
    Oct 10, 2004
    How "Thirteen Conversations About One Thing" can be unanimously praised and this move can receive anything short of a perfect score absolutely baffles me. There are movies that aren't as smart as they think they are (13 Conversations, Happiness, even the decent Waking Life) and then there are movies that are smarter than anyone gives them credit for. Collateral, in my opinion, fell How "Thirteen Conversations About One Thing" can be unanimously praised and this move can receive anything short of a perfect score absolutely baffles me. There are movies that aren't as smart as they think they are (13 Conversations, Happiness, even the decent Waking Life) and then there are movies that are smarter than anyone gives them credit for. Collateral, in my opinion, fell into that category and Huckabees outdoes that one by a long shot. Brilliant, hilarious, and INCREDIBLY well acted (Oscar for Marky Mark?), I Heart Huckabees is the best major studio flick I've seen all year. Expand
  10. MikeyG
    Oct 2, 2004
    If Naomi Watts isn't wearing skimpy outfits in this movie, the rating goes down to a 6. However, given the interesting concepts presented, the solid acting, the hilarious Mark Wahlberg, and the cool visual effects, this movie warrants a viewing even if you're one of those people, like one of the characters in the movie, that doesn't wanna have to ask certain types of If Naomi Watts isn't wearing skimpy outfits in this movie, the rating goes down to a 6. However, given the interesting concepts presented, the solid acting, the hilarious Mark Wahlberg, and the cool visual effects, this movie warrants a viewing even if you're one of those people, like one of the characters in the movie, that doesn't wanna have to ask certain types of questions of oneself. Expand
  11. AjA.
    Oct 22, 2004
    Original in every way. I expected some serious ideas would be presented but it is the humor that suprised and the wonderful structure which all this fell under that gave this film a certain genius. I would expect that people would either love it dearly or hate it madly. A sign it is all good. Memorable as an experience.
  12. JB
    Oct 25, 2004
    Absolutely fantastic. I give it a 10 to offset the people who are so closeminded and absurdely over-reactionary just because they didn't understand the movie. Please go see this.
  13. RetroH
    Oct 9, 2004
    I snickered my way through this one.
  14. johnn.
    Oct 1, 2005
    Fun & quirky & interesting- great music too.
  15. KevinE.
    Jan 20, 2005
    At least Hoffman left his typical s***-eating grin at the door for this one. The casting is brilliant. Talky, but that's the point. I'm sure it will sail over the heads of the 'fly-over states' audiences. If you love Lily Tomlin then this is a truffle of a performance for you. Wry, ironic, clever - just what you might expect from David O. Russell.
  16. AaronF.
    Mar 18, 2005
    Well-written, humorous, and somewhat philosophical.
  17. seand
    Mar 8, 2005
    If you didn't learn anything from this, your an idiot!
  18. chrism
    Apr 2, 2005
    Either you get it or you don't. You can choose by the reviews whether you'll want to watch it or not. Let's see the WSJ and Washington Post hated it, what's that say to you? Oftetimes the movie isn't easy, but the rewards come in the second act. It gets hillarious in the end. If you thought Royal Tennenbaums was laugh out loud funny, which most people don't Either you get it or you don't. You can choose by the reviews whether you'll want to watch it or not. Let's see the WSJ and Washington Post hated it, what's that say to you? Oftetimes the movie isn't easy, but the rewards come in the second act. It gets hillarious in the end. If you thought Royal Tennenbaums was laugh out loud funny, which most people don't than this might just become your favorite movie. Expand
  19. KeirS.
    Sep 24, 2005
    Superb.
  20. DustinS.
    Mar 26, 2006
    Madly and refreshingly paced so not a scene, line, or even word is wasted in this mind-bending farce that had me giggiling and astounded. What a wonderful surprise -- I was astonished that so many critics were down on a film with so many tremdous actors giving tremendous performances. Every character delighted and every scene tingled with energy. This movie was so brisk to not allow a Madly and refreshingly paced so not a scene, line, or even word is wasted in this mind-bending farce that had me giggiling and astounded. What a wonderful surprise -- I was astonished that so many critics were down on a film with so many tremdous actors giving tremendous performances. Every character delighted and every scene tingled with energy. This movie was so brisk to not allow a minute of boredom-- at times laugh out loud funny. Must see! Expand
  21. JekX.
    Nov 6, 2004
    I forgot the question ¿%
  22. DavidL
    Oct 17, 2004
    I'm not sure how many of these reviewers actually saw the film. It's absolutely brilliant and the score couldn't have been better.
  23. MichelleR
    Oct 17, 2004
    I don't handout many 10s, but this one is worth it. Don't go to it if you like the formula most movies follow. Outside of the box and hilarious. If you liked Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, you might like i heart huckabees. if you saw Human Nature and found it amusing but sort of shallow character-wise, my money is you'll like this movie.
  24. JaneA
    Oct 18, 2004
    Really wonderful and hilarious and brilliant.
  25. BillW.
    Dec 20, 2004
    Brave, funny and sweet. Puts virtually every other big-studio comedy of the last year to shame.
  26. AliceZ
    Oct 23, 2004
    I don't really understand why the critics gave this movie such bad reviews. I thought it was very funny, very smart, and so much better that most of the garbage that gets made. If you want something different, go see this. You won't regret it.
  27. ChadS.
    Oct 24, 2004
    Mark Wahlberg, as a fireman, is even more hysterical if you've already seen "Ladder 49". There's a fire, and he's watering the... There's a fire, and he rides... After 9/11, we've elevated the firefighter to superhero status, and rightly so, but everybody deserves to be lampooned sometimes. "I Heart Huckabee" is for those of you who liked Richard Linklater's Mark Wahlberg, as a fireman, is even more hysterical if you've already seen "Ladder 49". There's a fire, and he's watering the... There's a fire, and he rides... After 9/11, we've elevated the firefighter to superhero status, and rightly so, but everybody deserves to be lampooned sometimes. "I Heart Huckabee" is for those of you who liked Richard Linklater's "Waking Life", but wished there was a story to dramatize your metaphysics. Naomi Watts steals this movie. She has the most memorable headwear since Samantha Morton in "Sweet and Lowdown". Expand
  28. KerithP.
    Oct 6, 2004
    So absolutey weird it's brilliant. mark wahlberg was hilarious. lily tomlin, superb.
  29. JamesM.
    Jan 10, 2005
    Any synopsis makes this movie sound like a pretentious bore ("existential detectives?" give me a break!), but in fact it turned out to be one of the smartest and (surprise!) most humane comedies of the year. David O. Russell proves that he, not Kevin Smith, is the Preston Sturges of our time.
  30. tonybob
    Oct 23, 2005
    I loved this movie so much i couldnt stop laughing everytime i watch it it gets funnier it never plays out. i think this is the most underrated movie this year. mark wahlberg was halarious everytime he's on the screen i cant stop laughing.

1. Despite the unique premise and some truly inspired casting, the picture remains stuck in an existential rut of its own.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Ultimately, Huckabees doesn't work. But it sure does stimulate. This is just the kind of "failure" we could use plenty more of.
    Huckabees is the real thing--an authentic disaster--but the picture is so odd that it should inspire, in at least a part of the audience, feelings of fervent loyalty.