Columbia Pictures | Release Date: October 17, 1997
2.2
Generally unfavorable reviews based on 266 Ratings
WATCH NOW
nbcJun 23, 2011
I have to say, I liked I Know What You Did Last Summer even better than Scream. It was one of those "at the edge of your seat" thrillers with plenty of jumps, scares, and surprises. Sarah Michelle Gellar makes you like the movie maybe moreI have to say, I liked I Know What You Did Last Summer even better than Scream. It was one of those "at the edge of your seat" thrillers with plenty of jumps, scares, and surprises. Sarah Michelle Gellar makes you like the movie maybe more than you should, but that's fine by me. Expand
Daniel2651Feb 10, 2014
If you thought Scream was scary then this summer 7 little words will give you the biggest scare of your life.
The film starts by looking at a group of four friends who are celebrating the fact that Helen (Sarah Gellar) has won a beauty pageant. The party is going great until the four friends decide to take a drive and accidentally run over a man. Not wanting to report the crime the four friends decide to throw the man in the river. But just before they throw him in the river the man wakes up but luckily for the group of friends after he wakes up he falls in the river and disappears into the murky depths. After this the friends seem tohave gotten away with it until a year later one of them, Julie, (Jennifer Love Hewitt) recieves a letter which reads "I know what you did last summer." From this moment on the four friends find themselves in a revenge story where the killer is taunting them at first and then horrifically killing them one by one.
Even though the film is a bit slow at the start there are some very scary parts in it like when one of the Julie is driving and she hears a scratching sound coming from her boot. So she opens the boot and inside is her friend's dead body covered in crabs. This scared me because at first I thought it was going to be a false-scare but then I saw the dead body and almost jumped out of my seat.
My favourite scene in the film is when Julie is trapped on a boat and is getting chased by the killer. This is a good chase scene because not only does the killer nearly catch her on more than one occasion but also you get the feeling that the killer will catch her eventually because the boat is the middle of the water so you get the feeling that she can't run from the killer forever.
I would recommend this film to anyone who likes horror/action films with a bit of gore. And I would rate this film 7/10.
mds03Mar 17, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It wasn't quite as good as Scream but it had just about as much originality as Scream did. The acting was good except for Freddy Prince Junior's. It was really creepy and scary at certain parts. Way scarier than Scream but not as smart with how the story goes. The only problem is that every character that should have escaped got killed because the killer appeared out no where as if he was a ghost which he is not. He's like a 60 year old man and he walks when he chases people when their running as fast as they can but he still manages to kill them somehow. Sarah Michelle Gellar should have survived. Expand
GagaForGhibliJun 5, 2012
For A Horror Movie It's Very Well Writen And The Acting Is Fine..
Sarah Michelle Gellar Does A Amazing Job!
vini1904Aug 14, 2012
A classic thriller with some of the best chase scenes, the script is good, the performances are good, if you're a fan of suspense,'ve probably watched this movie.
RikiegeNov 17, 2012
A good horror movie and very original in its time.
MissDraeMar 1, 2014
A great cast to a good movie. Although it wasn't an oscar winning movie it is a fun summer teen flic to watch. Sarah Michelle gellar gave an incredible performance, I consider it to be one of my favourite movies
movielove111Apr 1, 2014
Wonderful film with an interesting message and suspense towards the end. One of my favorite Hollywood film. All the cast performed well especially Jennifer was amazing.
rickymOct 18, 2009
Awesome horror film one of the true masterpieces of the late 90's an epic flick with one of the best plots ever.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
johannes12Jul 13, 2015
There isn't a whole lot to say about this movie. It's not original, not very scary, very cliché with bad characters and bad scripting, but still enjoyable to watch. Doesn't try to score cheap with ''jump scenes'' but puts more emphasis onThere isn't a whole lot to say about this movie. It's not original, not very scary, very cliché with bad characters and bad scripting, but still enjoyable to watch. Doesn't try to score cheap with ''jump scenes'' but puts more emphasis on suspense. Nice to watch when you're drunk and don't have the attention span for a more complicated horror movie. Expand
MinecraftFFeb 13, 2017
MrTacoBobJul 14, 2017
I do not know why people hate this movie. It was a great movie! It creeps me out. Well anyways while this one is good I CANT say the same for the other 2 movies.