8.8

1. Jul 2, 2015
    This was an excellent film, with jarring visuals, strong performances, and an incredibly deep and impressive soundtrack. The film will certainly miss the mark for many, who only see the 4 main characters as privileged jerks that cannot be empathized with. However, this is what the movie is dealing with.

We meet the four stars one at a time, and we see them medicating with heavy drugs, reckless driving, and other stunts. While happy at first, we begin to see the chinks in their armor. These "strong men" aren't as they appear - they are broken, they've done horrible things, they have deep regrets, and share a hidden and dark secret that's revealed mid-way through the film.

This is one of the most under-appreciated films that I'll recommend. With the right mindset, it's a very unique angle on the darkness and despair that creeps into the lives of men, constantly reminding them they are not invincible. They are mortals, filling themselves with drugs to blunt the crushing pain of life collapsing onto them.

They're no longer the young men they identified with, but the friendship lasts. When their bacchanale begins to spiral out of control, we're treated to incredible acting and a fresh and satisfying story that doesn't let up.
  2. Apr 19, 2012
    This seems to be a very divisive movie. You'll either love it it immensely or hate it with every fiber of your being. I for one loved it! It's been two weeks since i watched it on Netflix, and I still can not stop thinking about it. I thought it was a beautiful, albeit intense movie. The score is just as enchanting and the acting is phenomenal! The subject matter is dark, and theThis seems to be a very divisive movie. You'll either love it it immensely or hate it with every fiber of your being. I for one loved it! It's been two weeks since i watched it on Netflix, and I still can not stop thinking about it. I thought it was a beautiful, albeit intense movie. The score is just as enchanting and the acting is phenomenal! The subject matter is dark, and the director, Mark Pellington, takes the audience places most filmmakers dare not go. It doesn't help that it has 3 relatively mainstream actors, two of which are well known for doing comedy, which i feel is what shot this film in the foot. Movie-goers expectations. I feel the people who choose to watch based solely on the cast, and know nothing of the movie are setting themselves up for disappointment. A wonderful film, that is unfortunately not for everyone. Expand
  3. Dec 9, 2011
    I was hopeful for this movie because it has some of my favorite actors in it...and they all do OK. But for a movie dealing with some pretty deep dark things, there is surprisingly little introspection. I found myself wishing for a faster way to the inevitable. Plus, Carla Gugino plays the most ineffective, clueless sheriff ever.

1. Reviewed by: Mick LaSalle
    Dec 22, 2011
    You know how I realized I actually liked I Melt With You? I kept talking about it, and at one point, in the middle of mocking it, I accidentally referred to it as "a good picture." That's when I realized, yes, it really is good, albeit in ways that are different from other movies.
  2. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Dec 9, 2011
    I still can't believe I Melt With You went there. Over the top, off the hook and just plain bonkers, it makes its mark.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Abele
    Dec 8, 2011
    I Melt With You assuredly marks itself as one of 2011's most ludicrous releases.