5.3

1. Aug 15, 2014
    Probably one of the funniest comedy i have seen recently.The subject is really original and the actors were actually pretty good.This is the best Adam Sandler's performance.I highly recommend it.
  2. Mar 1, 2014
    The humor in this movie is too juvenile even for Happy Madison standards. It's also an insult to to any gays or lesbians. Adam... what went through your head when you greenlit this film?
  3. Nov 13, 2013
    I Now Pronounce You Cheesy and Lazy.
    To begin with, the premise of the movie is barely ethical and really illogical. The writing is poor, the jokes are purely stereotypes that soon get old. The acting is so-so, and the movie is not entertaining.
  4. Oct 7, 2013
    That's the problem about making movies nowadays; you know some dicks out there are gonna get offended... for some reason. Seriously, you retarded movie critics wrote your review 20 minutes into the movie and assumed it was offensive to gay people. On contrary, it's not. Plus, many of the actors that cameo in the movie are gay in real life so they're obviously fine with it: Lance Bass forThat's the problem about making movies nowadays; you know some dicks out there are gonna get offended... for some reason. Seriously, you retarded movie critics wrote your review 20 minutes into the movie and assumed it was offensive to gay people. On contrary, it's not. Plus, many of the actors that cameo in the movie are gay in real life so they're obviously fine with it: Lance Bass for example sings at the end.

Sure, there are some rather crude gay jokes but hell, it's a movie; stop taking it so seriously. Why do you try to find every reason to piss yourself off?

Chuck (Adam Sandler) admits at the end during the hearing that he is not gay and is aware that it was wrong and he hurt people. He also states that is not a nice word and that you shouldn't use it.

Fred G. Duncan (Ving Rhames) comes out of the closet on Chuck and states he was inspired to be true to himself; concluding there's no use pretending to be someone your not.

There's a lesson that underlies here... Chuck started off as a giant dickhead that was inconsiderate towards gay people. Then after going through experiences with them such as the Dress Up Party; after realising how the public discriminated against them, he began to develop a more appreciative concern towards them. He became more empathetic towards them; he stood up to the public for gay people.

Larry (Kevin James) begins as an insecure fat guy that has trouble coping with the loss of his wife. Devising the idea of domestic partnership for his children, he begins to show he has trouble coping with the fake relationship with Chuck and is angered whenever Paula is mentioned or mocked. Towards the end of the film, he finally lets go and at the very end, he pursues another love.

Amidst this comedy, the movie blossoms with life lessons; lessons that many dismiss in real life... and it's clear you professional critics are close-minded to any of this. I don't understand how this movie is offensive to people. DID PEOPLE EVEN WATCH THE DAMN MOVIE? DID THEY PAY ATTENTION OR DID THEY JUST PHASE OUT, SEE GAY THINGS HAPPENING AND ASSUME "OH MY GOD, THIS MOVIE OFFENDS ME!!"?

If anything, this movie is an accidental masterpiece of humour, morals and deep insights.
  5. Jul 8, 2013
    A film with a very mixed message that comes off humorless. This is another Adam Sandler disaster he needs to call Paul Thomas Anderson and see if he can save his career.
  6. May 27, 2013
    If you don't take the movie seriously and forget how farfetched it might seem, it comes across as a solid comedy that walks a fine line on gay comedy.
  7. Jan 2, 2013
    I am suprised that both critics and users rated it so low. It was funny and it was a very cute movie and this is coming from a guy. I really enjoyed watching it.
  8. Nov 7, 2012
    115 minutes of unfunny hypocrisy.
  9. Dec 31, 2011
    I think what killed the film (for critics and viewers alike) was that it took on a realistic issue and it showed the issue for exactly what it was - Complete bs. It was nice to see Sandler and James as a duo together and they played their parts very well. There were also quite a few funny (but at times generic) scenes too. I liked this movie and I am suprised that more people dont.

The

The only bad side to it is that it does get a little boring and cheesey. Besides that, It was a rather solid film.
  10. Nov 26, 2011
    If people looked at it with any bias then you would see its actually good and that its about acceptence and not hate. The cast was solid and the film was enjoyable.
  11. Nov 23, 2011
    Really funny and a must watch, I found myself laughing until I couldn't breath many times throughout this movie, and the part of the reason it's so good is because of how well Adam Sandler and Kevin James are at there parts, the acting all around is just fantastic, and it also manages to sneak some morale lessons in there about not making fun of homosexuals which I thought was a niceReally funny and a must watch, I found myself laughing until I couldn't breath many times throughout this movie, and the part of the reason it's so good is because of how well Adam Sandler and Kevin James are at there parts, the acting all around is just fantastic, and it also manages to sneak some morale lessons in there about not making fun of homosexuals which I thought was a nice touch, in the end this is a must see whether your gay or straight, it's hilarious, kind of touching, and fantastic from beginning to end. Expand
  12. Jan 10, 2011
    This movie breaks the cardinal rule of comedies, it's not funny. I didn't even crack a smile once. I just sat wishing it would end. I don't care that it was considered "offensive" (personally, I didn't find it offensive). I'm just pissed I wasted time on this unfunny P.O.S
  13. David
    Jun 14, 2009
    Just saw this on dvd a couple of days ago. Just another typical hollywood crap that wants to push the gay agenda down everyones throat (pun intended)! The first 30-45 minutes wasn't bad but it got so uncomfortable and just stupid! Everyone keeps talking about all these groups being offended, well I am here to say that as a heterosexual guy, I am offended!! There is no way in hell any Just saw this on dvd a couple of days ago. Just another typical hollywood crap that wants to push the gay agenda down everyones throat (pun intended)! The first 30-45 minutes wasn't bad but it got so uncomfortable and just stupid! Everyone keeps talking about all these groups being offended, well I am here to say that as a heterosexual guy, I am offended!! There is no way in hell any straight guy will do and go through all the things these guys did. NO MATTER WHAT!! The only reason I gave the movie a 3 was that there were a few laughs and that Jessica Beil was so hot! And so was all the other girls in it. Expand
  14. Moa
    Mar 20, 2009
    Oh, come on. The material was hilarious - I don't understand why the critics and users say that this movie had barely any laughs in it. Do I have to remind you of the "I'm Every Woman" part in the shower? Or Chuck binning gay trash? Or that creepy looking gay inspector throwing the basketball? This is all classic stuff and I'm sure gay people can laugh at it as well. It Oh, come on. The material was hilarious - I don't understand why the critics and users say that this movie had barely any laughs in it. Do I have to remind you of the "I'm Every Woman" part in the shower? Or Chuck binning gay trash? Or that creepy looking gay inspector throwing the basketball? This is all classic stuff and I'm sure gay people can laugh at it as well. It informed people about gay rights and how we should not treat a lot of queers the way some of us are and have been before this movie. This movie rocked, and those who did not find it funny need to get a sense of humour. Hell yeah! Expand
  15. Laurens
    Jan 20, 2009
    This isn't even funny; and when you watch a comedy, don't you think you should laugh a little? I found this movie so... ridiculous, i really couldn't laugh at how bad it was. It's about these guys, who are fire fighters; one day Chuck rescues Larry from an almost death experience. Because Larry "owes him" for saving his life, Chuck asks Larry to pretend to be gay so he This isn't even funny; and when you watch a comedy, don't you think you should laugh a little? I found this movie so... ridiculous, i really couldn't laugh at how bad it was. It's about these guys, who are fire fighters; one day Chuck rescues Larry from an almost death experience. Because Larry "owes him" for saving his life, Chuck asks Larry to pretend to be gay so he can get a pension for his kids. The two end up faking a gay relationship. On top of that, Chuck's kids even act gay. Skip the posistives, because there are none, and go to the negatives: 1. Sandler doesn't like to take his work seriously, therefore he takes "attention roles" that seem to reflect his personality with the movie; cheesy and wasteful. 2. No back bone, no story, what's the point of the movie? Overall, it's safe to say it's too gay for existence. Expand
  16. kathyh
    Jan 19, 2009
    This was not so bad, usually I do not like Adam Sandler movies but this one, as far fetched as it was, had a few good lines. I do not think it is offensive as some of the other reviewers. Lighten up.
  17. AnyL
    Dec 21, 2008
    I thought it was funny, my roommate and I laughed the whole way through, and my roommate is asian and he was not offended by this movie. It was for fun, slapstick, fun comedy....were people expecting a classy drama? gee
  18. AlexG
    Apr 15, 2008
    Bad Reviews??? surely not this is a brilliant film with some superb comedy acting, it may come across as homophobic and something a pre-teen would design but some of the humor goes beyond that in order to make it appealing to all age groups, perfect for anyone with a sense of humor
  19. A.Nonymous
    Jan 14, 2008
    Crass, banal and incompetent. Typical Sandler trash. The only reason this movie received any good Crits was because it was jumping on the "Gay Rights" bandwagon, in an attempt to hide what was just an immature cheap shot at homosexual jokes.
  20. Draque
    Nov 29, 2007
    I'm curious how many people who claim this movie isn't offensive are anything *other* than straight, white, American males. if you were to make a movie that starred two white guys cracking jokes about black people are lazy, shiftless and eat nothing but watermelons and fried chicken, then turn around at the end and say "No seriously. Black people are ok in my book" with a huge, I'm curious how many people who claim this movie isn't offensive are anything *other* than straight, white, American males. if you were to make a movie that starred two white guys cracking jokes about black people are lazy, shiftless and eat nothing but watermelons and fried chicken, then turn around at the end and say "No seriously. Black people are ok in my book" with a huge, shit eating grin on my face, you would have succeeded in making a movie as hypocritical as Chuck and Lary. Seeing as that movie would only be offensive to a single minority however, it could not stand up against the pure repugnance of the racism, sexism, homophobia and over-the-top stereotyping of every minority you can imagine. To Adam Sandler: We get that you're straight. You don't need to take every scene in which you are present to remind us of that. No one even *wants* you to be gay. In particular, gay people are glad you're not. Expand
  21. PeterJ.
    Nov 26, 2007
    Let me first say that I enjoy Adam Sandler movies for the most part and find them an enjoyable entertainment experience. However, not this particular movie. My wife and I actually had to turn off the movie after the 1 hour mark. We could not take it any longer. There was nothing funny at all. The jokes were beyond abysmal and Kevin James and Sandler do not mesh well at all. I am going to Let me first say that I enjoy Adam Sandler movies for the most part and find them an enjoyable entertainment experience. However, not this particular movie. My wife and I actually had to turn off the movie after the 1 hour mark. We could not take it any longer. There was nothing funny at all. The jokes were beyond abysmal and Kevin James and Sandler do not mesh well at all. I am going to give Adam a free pass this one time, but I will be leary when the next one comes out... Expand
  22. JohnP.
    Nov 20, 2007
    Adam Sandler has had some hits and misses, Kevin James really should have known better. This movie without a doubt makes the likes of Dumb & Dumber, Porkys and American Pie look like a Merchant Ivory production. How can such bowel movements make it to DVD let alone the big screen?? I'm in complete shock that Alexander Payne was involved in this infantile mental masturbation of a Adam Sandler has had some hits and misses, Kevin James really should have known better. This movie without a doubt makes the likes of Dumb & Dumber, Porkys and American Pie look like a Merchant Ivory production. How can such bowel movements make it to DVD let alone the big screen?? I'm in complete shock that Alexander Payne was involved in this infantile mental masturbation of a mess. Shameful waste of talent. Expand
  23. JimmyR
    Nov 8, 2007
    Come on guys, this IS offensive. The gay deceivers, made nearly 40 yrs ago, was the same plot, but way funnier, and a whole lot less offensive. despite the good-hearted message-moment at the end [after a feature's worth of cheesy jokes at the expense of gay people], the two leads are sweet but misguided, and i just wish this movie hadn't been made at all. it makes me sad.
  24. JasonA
    Oct 10, 2007
    I don't agree with the critics or many of the user reviews at all. I found it funny if you take the jokes on homosexuals as what they are : jokes, and not take them to heart or seriously because after all, it's a comedy, not a documentary on homosexuals. I thought it was hilarious all the way through even though, i usually find Sandler a bad actor. The only disappointment is I don't agree with the critics or many of the user reviews at all. I found it funny if you take the jokes on homosexuals as what they are : jokes, and not take them to heart or seriously because after all, it's a comedy, not a documentary on homosexuals. I thought it was hilarious all the way through even though, i usually find Sandler a bad actor. The only disappointment is Sandler's typical predictable ending that end up tend to be really corny. Expand
    Sep 11, 2007
    Well Adam Sandler did his typical below average job. I thought Kevin James would make the movie at least so-so, but no, I was disappointed.
  26. Rev.R.
    Sep 4, 2007
    The fact that our culture can make this shallow, stereotypical, predictable movie a $100 million plus success, while seeming unable to stomach Brokeback Mountain only reveals that we are not yet close to dealing with this very serious issue. Humor can be an art form that enlightens; however, here, it demeans and insults our intelligence. This is nothing more than "Let's make good The fact that our culture can make this shallow, stereotypical, predictable movie a $100 million plus success, while seeming unable to stomach Brokeback Mountain only reveals that we are not yet close to dealing with this very serious issue. Humor can be an art form that enlightens; however, here, it demeans and insults our intelligence. This is nothing more than "Let's make good money by poking fun at homosexuality, and the end do a Seinfield, 'not that there's anything wrong with that.'" Shame on all involved in the making of this thoughtless, artless, work of ridicule. Expand
  27. JohnS.
    Aug 22, 2007
    Very funny! I don't agree with the critics.
  28. StacyS.
    Aug 21, 2007
    This was a good movie I didn't mind taking the whole family to see.
  29. KaylynR
    Aug 17, 2007
    It was funny and it wasn't like offensive to gay people either. It had a nice message to it.
  30. FrankO.
    Aug 4, 2007
    I laughed a lot in this movie, better than I expected. Like the role reversal between Sandler & James character(i.e. Chuck helping the son with his dancing routines). Predictable ending but I still enjoyed it!!!!!
  31. asdfasdfa
    Jul 29, 2007
    Done by the same people who did Grandma's Boy, this movie is pretty good and has a lot of the same cast. If you like a good gay joke you'll like the movie.
  32. shaneequaj
    Jul 28, 2007
    The humor is obnoxious, generic and grating. One of the worst movies I've seen this year.
  33. ReelW
    Jul 28, 2007
    Unfunny, overly long, and painful to sit through after Sandler's great job in Reign over Me. Now I know why this film is slated for a Nov 20 release on DVD....IMO - straight to DVD would have been a better plan!
  34. TomM
    Jul 27, 2007
    Gay is not a race, it can, however, have prejudices against its idea. The humor is decent, not A grade by any means, but it still is laughable if you have any decency to accept crude humor. I only laughed at some parts, and wasn't intrigued by the plot. Assuming someone is shallow by laughing at gay jokes is ironically a mishap, since it just started this era that its viewed upon as Gay is not a race, it can, however, have prejudices against its idea. The humor is decent, not A grade by any means, but it still is laughable if you have any decency to accept crude humor. I only laughed at some parts, and wasn't intrigued by the plot. Assuming someone is shallow by laughing at gay jokes is ironically a mishap, since it just started this era that its viewed upon as immoral. Unfortunately, you have to be narrow-minded to take offense to a movie that still has a decent moral on accepting gays who they are. Please, give some intelligent criticism rather then a blatantly obvious bias. Expand
  35. JoeG.
    Jul 25, 2007
    Totally worthless, unfunny, and moronic recycled junior high trash talk.
  36. JackL.
    Jul 25, 2007
    It's a very shallow and empty movie. The laughs/ jokes belong to the average (or lower) people who cannot interpret to realize how insulting/ racist the jokes are when laughing at them. Bad movie after all.
  37. DmanM.
    Jul 25, 2007
    C'mon now! So many people have to lighten up and judge this movie for what it is. Don't take yourself, this movie, or your perception of other people....and how they fit into your worldview so seriously that you forget this is stupid humor. As stupid humor goes...they do a pretty good job. Will I remember this movie a few months from now? Probably not. Was I entertained? I C'mon now! So many people have to lighten up and judge this movie for what it is. Don't take yourself, this movie, or your perception of other people....and how they fit into your worldview so seriously that you forget this is stupid humor. As stupid humor goes...they do a pretty good job. Will I remember this movie a few months from now? Probably not. Was I entertained? I laughed a few times. Nothing else/nothing more. So, point your rage in the right direction, please. Expand
  38. NathanielD
    Jul 23, 2007
    Are you kidding me? This movie was HILARIOUS. I've read so much crazy criticisms of this movie it's ridiculous. You've got half saying it's offensive to homosexuals and half saying it's offensive to Christians. Yes, it's a pro-gay movie (which is great) and it wouldn't be able to show true empathy without showing the offensive side to homosexuals first. Are you kidding me? This movie was HILARIOUS. I've read so much crazy criticisms of this movie it's ridiculous. You've got half saying it's offensive to homosexuals and half saying it's offensive to Christians. Yes, it's a pro-gay movie (which is great) and it wouldn't be able to show true empathy without showing the offensive side to homosexuals first. The ONLY reason this movie has bad reviews is that critics don't like Sandler at all, or they have a problem with dealing with homosexuality issues. Cheers to Kevin James and the Sandman for taking this on, it was awesome. Expand
  39. LennyB.
    Jul 23, 2007
    I was surprised to see such negative reviews. I thought the movie was one of Sandler's funniest! I'm sure this movie must of offended many people however. as a big fan of Kevin James I thought the chemistry worked between him and Sandler very well.
  40. LarryS.
    Jul 23, 2007
    Poor writing, poor directing, an awful movie! Not even a rental when it goes to video!
  41. ML.
    Jul 22, 2007
    This movie is FUNNY. It looked funny from the previews, and it did not disappoint. Yes, there were sections that I thought were a bit inappropriate. But, most of them were with meaning. This isn't a movie where Sandler has to go over the top, either. Just a fun movie.
  42. RM.
    Jul 22, 2007
    The movie was funnier than these ratings are leading viewers to believe. If you like the movies from the Happy Madison studios, this is the same formula, although diluted when compared to Billy Madison and Happy Gimore. Adam Sandler's character is very NOT gay and his character does have some bigotry. The whole focus of that is at the end, he admits and it and turns it around. I The movie was funnier than these ratings are leading viewers to believe. If you like the movies from the Happy Madison studios, this is the same formula, although diluted when compared to Billy Madison and Happy Gimore. Adam Sandler's character is very NOT gay and his character does have some bigotry. The whole focus of that is at the end, he admits and it and turns it around. I don't believe in discrimination/hate myself, but people need to relax. I respect those that didn't think the movie was funny, but I guarantee that if the gay aspect of this movie was all positive, some of those reviews would have been much higher than they were. To me, that is discrimination as well. Oh...and Jessica Biel was worth the price of admission ALONE...one word: HOT! Expand
  43. TylerG
    Jul 21, 2007
    I was extremely, EXTREMELY offended. I usually love Adam Sandler's films. In fact, there's only been one or two that I haven't enjoyed. But add another one to the list because this movie is bad. Genuinely funny parts are a rarity in this grossly offensive movie that has some of my favorite comedians. This movie was made to represent gays as good guys, and hetero Christians I was extremely, EXTREMELY offended. I usually love Adam Sandler's films. In fact, there's only been one or two that I haven't enjoyed. But add another one to the list because this movie is bad. Genuinely funny parts are a rarity in this grossly offensive movie that has some of my favorite comedians. This movie was made to represent gays as good guys, and hetero Christians as the bad guys. And I won't stand for that and I want everyone to know that this movie is an extremely offensive film that is bound to lose loads of eagerly awaiting fans after they see it. Expand
  44. EdwardL
    Jul 18, 2007
    Do NOT listen to the critics!! This movie is awesome!! Extremely funny! I laughed throughout the movie.

1. The curious thing here is that Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor rewrote this long-in-development screenplay. Yet the authors of such smart comedies as "Sideways," "About Schmidt" and "Citizen Ruth" can't move the film away from the world of easy laughs and sitcom jokes into a realm where sexual prejudices and presumptions get examined in a whimsical yet insightful manner.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    The kind of buddy comedy Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau might have starred in 40 years ago, when the material would have felt less dated, if no less silly.
  3. Reviewed by: Nathan Lee
    Tremendously savvy in its stupid way, I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry is as eloquent as "Brokeback Mountain," and even more radical.