4.8

1. Feb 9, 2013
    A poorly done comedy. With few comedic moments that haven't already been seen in the previews. I counted that I laughed a total of 3 times the entire movie. The crowd in the theater was responsive but I'm not sure how they found it funny. I honestly was checking my watch and waiting for the film to end. If you like cliche comedy movies then this is the film for you. I will say that thereA poorly done comedy. With few comedic moments that haven't already been seen in the previews. I counted that I laughed a total of 3 times the entire movie. The crowd in the theater was responsive but I'm not sure how they found it funny. I honestly was checking my watch and waiting for the film to end. If you like cliche comedy movies then this is the film for you. I will say that there was nothing wrong with the acting or the filming but the writing was just bad. It just wasn't very funny. Expand
  2. Feb 8, 2013
    The two redeeming features in the movie “Identity Thief” are Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy trying to make a stupid movie funny out of every cliche ever heard/seen before in a supposed ‘comedy’. Aside from Paul Rudd Bateman is the best ‘straight’ man in movies today and, in addition, is clean shaven which is quite different for an actor in the films today.

What is there to say

What is there to say about Melissa McCarthy except that it looks like she is being typecast as the raunchy plus size woman in movies when she, obviously, has so much more to offer as an actress.

This is an ‘odd couple’ road trip movie with a screenplay by Craig Mazin who hasn’t met a line in any road trip movie that he doesn’t use. He has the two stars beating up each other, running from killers, getting into car races, and crashes, walking away as if nothing had happened. He puts a man and woman in the trunk of a car and nothing does happen. Add to this a director, Seth Gordon, who seems to have attention deficient disorder and is afraid to have the camera on a scene more than a minute or two. What could and should be a funny sex scene has to be the dumbest and lest comic scenic ever put on film not to mention very insulting to overweight people.

The subject of identity theft is a serious one but can still offer humourous moments and “Identity Thief” has talented actors who could handle both sides of the problem but aren’t given anything to work with.

Amanda Peet, John Cho and Morris Chestnut offer good supporting performances while Eric Stonestreet forgot to leave Cameron from “Modern Family” off the set and doesn’t do himself any good here.

Jason Bateman, Melissa McCarthy and the movie audience deserve a lot better than this.
  3. Feb 11, 2013
    I might buy several editions of Rosetta Stone software just to learn how to say "not good" in other languages. Here is my first try, "Ayyyyeee mommy. La pelicula no es bueno!" Stupid movies can be very entertaining and allow us to divert from the seriousness of everyday life. Unfortunately this movie simply made me sad. I know writing comedy can be hard, but if you are going to spendI might buy several editions of Rosetta Stone software just to learn how to say "not good" in other languages. Here is my first try, "Ayyyyeee mommy. La pelicula no es bueno!" Stupid movies can be very entertaining and allow us to divert from the seriousness of everyday life. Unfortunately this movie simply made me sad. I know writing comedy can be hard, but if you are going to spend millions making a movie shouldn't the studio at least try to find someone good at it. Expand
  4. May 28, 2013
    Director Seth Gordon's previous feature, "Horrible Bosses" (2012), wasn't anything special as a comedy despite its potential, but it contained a few clever moments to make it worthwhile. "Identity Thief" makes a fatal mistake when Gordon attempts to incorporate a dramatic element to the story line. By going in this direction, it is no longer possible to view "Identity Thief" as aDirector Seth Gordon's previous feature, "Horrible Bosses" (2012), wasn't anything special as a comedy despite its potential, but it contained a few clever moments to make it worthwhile. "Identity Thief" makes a fatal mistake when Gordon attempts to incorporate a dramatic element to the story line. By going in this direction, it is no longer possible to view "Identity Thief" as a compilation of marginal fat jokes, sex gags, and slapstick humor. Instead, we are forced to absorb a "serious" aspect that is so poorly rendered it's unbearable to watch. There are bad movies, and then there's "Identity Thief."

"Identity Thief" starts out as a comedy about a nice, clean-cut guy named Sandy Patterson (Jason Bateman), who travels from the Colorado home he shares with his wife, Trish (Amanda Peet), and two daughters, to Florida. His goal: track down the woman who stole his identity, trashed his credit rating, and cost him his job. She's Diana (Melissa McCarthy), a fat, foul-mouthed dipstick who is freely spending as she adds to Sandy's debt. What transpires is a series of completely implausible situations that transforms "Identity Thief" into a mismatched buddy film. And that's when the wheel's come off completely. The film suffers from the classic complaint that the funniest moments were in the trailer, and even then it’s nothing special. A strong contender for the Razzies, and for those unfamiliar, they acknowledge and award the worst movie of the year. Proceed with caution…….you’ve been warned.
  5. Feb 17, 2013
    Ahhhhh!!!! Identity thief is torture!!!! I just hated this film. Other than some of the jokes that work the film was just crap.... Seth Gordon forgot the rules of a great laugh out loud comedy movie. The comic story just didn't work, 1/10. The 1 is for Jason batemen aka the only good actor in the film. Avoid this movie while you still can and look forward to Mellisa Mcarthy's newAhhhhh!!!! Identity thief is torture!!!! I just hated this film. Other than some of the jokes that work the film was just crap.... Seth Gordon forgot the rules of a great laugh out loud comedy movie. The comic story just didn't work, 1/10. The 1 is for Jason batemen aka the only good actor in the film. Avoid this movie while you still can and look forward to Mellisa Mcarthy's new upcoming film, The Heat........ Expand
  6. Mar 4, 2013
    Identity Thief is a lazy, idiotic film that insults your intelligence on almost every level. The film is so poorly done that it doesn't even complete a scene before moving onto the next. Half the time your wondering what is happening and if the true comedy is the actual making of the film itself.
  7. Mar 21, 2013
    Disappointing movie, dead humor, weak plot, two dimensional characters. It is a buddy film like "Due Date" but has no laughs. skip this movie completely.
  8. Jul 8, 2013
    Such a lazy movie. Melissa Macarthy's shtick is getting infuriatingly repetitive. Jason Bateman, who is usually steller managed to bore me this time around. The director of this film is on a total downward spiral as well. He made Pineapple Express which was good, then the abysmal Sitter and now this. 2013 has been a rough year for comedy. Sigh.
  9. Mar 10, 2013
    You know that funny diner scene in the trailer? Well, that's the only part in the movie that's funny. This is not a comedy. It's an annoying movie which will leave you feeling like time has been stolen from you. Good cast, absolutely horrible script.
  10. Dec 17, 2013
    Just an awful, unrealistic miss that has the same anti-comedic depressing concept of an Everybody Loves Raymond. The glorification of a villain as a comedic character is just not funny. You find yourself wanting to punch Melissa McCarthy in the face rather than laugh at her. That's never good for comedy.
  11. Feb 17, 2013
    The best of this movie is in the one-minute trailers. Bouncing from unethical to moralism, back and forth, ad nauseum. Funny in places, poorly cast, poorly written, poorly acted. Yawn.
  12. Aug 26, 2013
    Bridesmaids made Melissa McCarthy a household name and for good reason but it seems to me that no one really knows how to take advantage of her many talents. Identity Thief maroons her in a sea of bad comedy and irritatingly familiar Jason Bateman moments we have all seen a thousand times. The film follows Sandy Bigelow Patterson (Bateman) as he travels from his family to track down aBridesmaids made Melissa McCarthy a household name and for good reason but it seems to me that no one really knows how to take advantage of her many talents. Identity Thief maroons her in a sea of bad comedy and irritatingly familiar Jason Bateman moments we have all seen a thousand times. The film follows Sandy Bigelow Patterson (Bateman) as he travels from his family to track down a women who has stolen his identity and is slowly but surely ruining his life, one dollar at a time. Ultimately its a film made for McCarthy and a film that has literally no idea what it is doing. It relies heavily on fart and genital humour (Much like Bateman's Horrible Bosses) and never even attempts to be intelligent as the film flips from bizarre raunch comedy to zany road movie to unemotional family film. It doesn't have a clue where its going, what its doing or why its two main stars are acting like they've taken a fistful of tranquillizers. McCarthy wakes up when Eric Stonestreet shows up for a hilarious 10 minute sequence that successfully fooled me into thinking the film was getting better. While funny it doesn't save a film that can't tell its beginning from its end, its just bad. Expand
  13. Feb 13, 2013
    Very disappointing. All the funny parts have already been seen on TV commercials. The comedy fell short of what everyone expects from what they see on TV. It wasn't terrible, and I'm sure some people will find it hilarious, but most won't. An OK movie at best.
  14. Jun 10, 2013
    What a disappointing movie this was. Was Melissa McCarthy funny? Sure she was. But the movie was filled with nothing but annoying scenes and plot holes. If you can make it to the ending at least that part is decent but that's a really big IF because of how absurd and borderline unwatchable this film is.
  15. Feb 9, 2014
    I couldn't get through the entire movie. Its not funny, its not original, McCarthy is not funny nor is Bateman. I think I let out a chuckle at one point, but 2 hours of this-no chance. Don't waste your time. 'Nough said
  16. Mar 3, 2013
    What a waste of Bateman and McCarthy's talents. The script and plot are just all over the place, not which one of those places is funny. When the writer of your movie write Scary Movie 4 and Hangover 2, a red flag should instantly be waving.
  17. Aug 3, 2013
    I'm a fan of both Melissa McCarthy and Jason Bateman. But the script here is so witless, the two hour comedy is limited to very few laughs, and almost admirable accomplishment given the original premise.
  18. Aug 27, 2013
    Please, for the love of god spend your time doing something productive. The only thing stolen is my time that I will never get back. Dear god, how this bomb got greenlit is beyond me.
  19. Feb 25, 2013
    There were a couple problems I had with this disappointingly droll comedy. First of all, anyone excited to see this movie by the hilarious previews is doomed to be disappointed. All the funniest jokes in the movie lose all there laughs seeing them the second or third or fourth time. The only other problem was it was confusing what kind of audience this film has targeted. Despite all theThere were a couple problems I had with this disappointingly droll comedy. First of all, anyone excited to see this movie by the hilarious previews is doomed to be disappointed. All the funniest jokes in the movie lose all there laughs seeing them the second or third or fourth time. The only other problem was it was confusing what kind of audience this film has targeted. Despite all the lewd jokes and other inappropriate parts this movie seems to want to be family movie emphasizing Jason Bateman's character Sandy Patterson loving relationship with his family and those attracted by the jokes will be bored by the film's message. Expand
  20. Mar 25, 2013
    a great trailer and a poor movie.very disappointed,i expected more,it had two or three funny scenes and that is it...i wouldn`t recommend you to watch this.
  21. Mar 16, 2013
    I felt that this movie had decent acting that was hurt by an awful screenplay. If you don't know the premise, just read the summaryor watch the trailer. Anyway, Melissa McCarty and Jason Bateman both played very wellas Sandy Bigelow Patterson, and any fan of the two will be quite happy with this film. I wasn't. The screenplay is awful. Craig Mazin's script include's odd cursing at randomI felt that this movie had decent acting that was hurt by an awful screenplay. If you don't know the premise, just read the summaryor watch the trailer. Anyway, Melissa McCarty and Jason Bateman both played very wellas Sandy Bigelow Patterson, and any fan of the two will be quite happy with this film. I wasn't. The screenplay is awful. Craig Mazin's script include's odd cursing at random times and one-liners which weren't too amusing. There were some major plot holes, which confused me (the bounty hunter?, and too many mood changes, Usually, a film has one major climax, a turning point. But in this movie, there were around 3 or 4. The movie seemed much different from the trailer, with more emphasis on action than there was in the trailer. Also, the story seems more and more unrealistic as this film goes on.There were some clever jokes, though not many, and that is why I am going high enough to gie this movie a 4. Expand
  22. Jul 23, 2013
    Maneja un buen tema familiar que no se debio boltear, las cosas cambiaron cuando comenzaron a amarla y los chistes no esran lo mismo las cosas fueron empeorando feo
  23. Dec 13, 2014
    Middle of the road in terms of comedy films. It could have been worse. Bateman and McCarthy provide a few laughs during their journey. The film's insistence on trying to make you well up with emotion over an incredibly unrealistic story is however, embarrassing. If you are a casual film fan who has a soft spot for comedies, don't hesitate to try it.
  24. May 28, 2013
    A poor comedy. The film has funny moments however there are algo more boring moments. Jason Bateman is a clowns and acts like it. Melissa McCarthy is a comedy queen even though this is not her best role.
  25. Jun 17, 2013
    This movie is funny but not as good as I expected, it had its parts, but overall, not recommended, but still McCarthy rocks! It has "all seen before" scenes, raunchy laughs, but McCarthy saves the day this time.
  26. Jul 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Of every movie I have seen this was if not the most disappointing and terrible movie I have endured not being a childs movie.

The plot is so full of holes and the lack of any existence of common sense makes you feel like a middle schooler won the award to be director for a day.

This movie had such great potential to not only to be one of the best comedies of the year, but show identity theft to the culture, but made a big joke out of it, in the end saying to forgive criminals for anything they have done bad to you or anyone else and bring them into your family.

Identity thief rarely had a knowledge that provided a laugh for anyone over the mental age of 16.

I have never found myself so outraged at a movie before.

1. Reviewed by: James White
    Mar 18, 2013
    Clever premise, witless execution.
  2. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Mar 11, 2013
    Melissa McCarthy’s over-the-top performance as a low-rung grifter enlivens what is otherwise a groan-worthy odd-couple comedy.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Feb 26, 2013
    Watching Identity Thief will steal nearly two hours of your life that you’ll never get back. It takes far more than it gives.