Universal Pictures | Release Date: February 8, 2013
4.9
Mixed or average reviews based on 195 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Nesbitt10May 28, 2013
Director Seth Gordon's previous feature, "Horrible Bosses" (2012), wasn't anything special as a comedy despite its potential, but it contained a few clever moments to make it worthwhile. "Identity Thief" makes a fatal mistake when GordonDirector Seth Gordon's previous feature, "Horrible Bosses" (2012), wasn't anything special as a comedy despite its potential, but it contained a few clever moments to make it worthwhile. "Identity Thief" makes a fatal mistake when Gordon attempts to incorporate a dramatic element to the story line. By going in this direction, it is no longer possible to view "Identity Thief" as a compilation of marginal fat jokes, sex gags, and slapstick humor. Instead, we are forced to absorb a "serious" aspect that is so poorly rendered it's unbearable to watch. There are bad movies, and then there's "Identity Thief."

"Identity Thief" starts out as a comedy about a nice, clean-cut guy named Sandy Patterson (Jason Bateman), who travels from the Colorado home he shares with his wife, Trish (Amanda Peet), and two daughters, to Florida. His goal: track down the woman who stole his identity, trashed his credit rating, and cost him his job. She's Diana (Melissa McCarthy), a fat, foul-mouthed dipstick who is freely spending as she adds to Sandy's debt. What transpires is a series of completely implausible situations that transforms "Identity Thief" into a mismatched buddy film. And that's when the wheel's come off completely. The film suffers from the classic complaint that the funniest moments were in the trailer, and even then it’s nothing special. A strong contender for the Razzies, and for those unfamiliar, they acknowledge and award the worst movie of the year. Proceed with caution…….you’ve been warned.
ThegodfathersonFeb 17, 2013
Ahhhhh!!!! Identity thief is torture!!!! I just hated this film. Other than some of the jokes that work the film was just crap.... Seth Gordon forgot the rules of a great laugh out loud comedy movie. The comic story just didn't work, 1/10.Ahhhhh!!!! Identity thief is torture!!!! I just hated this film. Other than some of the jokes that work the film was just crap.... Seth Gordon forgot the rules of a great laugh out loud comedy movie. The comic story just didn't work, 1/10. The 1 is for Jason batemen aka the only good actor in the film. Avoid this movie while you still can and look forward to Mellisa Mcarthy's new upcoming film, The Heat........ Expand
SlimShaddyMar 21, 2013
Disappointing movie, dead humor, weak plot, two dimensional characters. It is a buddy film like "Due Date" but has no laughs. skip this movie completely.
SimpleMethodJul 8, 2013
Such a lazy movie. Melissa Macarthy's shtick is getting infuriatingly repetitive. Jason Bateman, who is usually steller managed to bore me this time around. The director of this film is on a total downward spiral as well. He made PineappleSuch a lazy movie. Melissa Macarthy's shtick is getting infuriatingly repetitive. Jason Bateman, who is usually steller managed to bore me this time around. The director of this film is on a total downward spiral as well. He made Pineapple Express which was good, then the abysmal Sitter and now this. 2013 has been a rough year for comedy. Sigh. Expand
roymarvelousMar 10, 2013
You know that funny diner scene in the trailer? Well, that's the only part in the movie that's funny. This is not a comedy. It's an annoying movie which will leave you feeling like time has been stolen from you. Good cast, absolutely horrible script.
BwillDec 17, 2013
Just an awful, unrealistic miss that has the same anti-comedic depressing concept of an Everybody Loves Raymond. The glorification of a villain as a comedic character is just not funny. You find yourself wanting to punch Melissa McCarthy inJust an awful, unrealistic miss that has the same anti-comedic depressing concept of an Everybody Loves Raymond. The glorification of a villain as a comedic character is just not funny. You find yourself wanting to punch Melissa McCarthy in the face rather than laugh at her. That's never good for comedy. Expand
moonman1994Feb 9, 2013
A poorly done comedy. With few comedic moments that haven't already been seen in the previews. I counted that I laughed a total of 3 times the entire movie. The crowd in the theater was responsive but I'm not sure how they found it funny. IA poorly done comedy. With few comedic moments that haven't already been seen in the previews. I counted that I laughed a total of 3 times the entire movie. The crowd in the theater was responsive but I'm not sure how they found it funny. I honestly was checking my watch and waiting for the film to end. If you like cliche comedy movies then this is the film for you. I will say that there was nothing wrong with the acting or the filming but the writing was just bad. It just wasn't very funny. Expand
GreatMartinFeb 8, 2013
The two redeeming features in the movie “Identity Thief” are Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy trying to make a stupid movie funny out of every cliche ever heard/seen before in a supposed ‘comedy’. Aside from Paul Rudd Bateman is the bestThe two redeeming features in the movie “Identity Thief” are Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy trying to make a stupid movie funny out of every cliche ever heard/seen before in a supposed ‘comedy’. Aside from Paul Rudd Bateman is the best ‘straight’ man in movies today and, in addition, is clean shaven which is quite different for an actor in the films today.

What is there to say about Melissa McCarthy except that it looks like she is being typecast as the raunchy plus size woman in movies when she, obviously, has so much more to offer as an actress.

This is an ‘odd couple’ road trip movie with a screenplay by Craig Mazin who hasn’t met a line in any road trip movie that he doesn’t use. He has the two stars beating up each other, running from killers, getting into car races, and crashes, walking away as if nothing had happened. He puts a man and woman in the trunk of a car and nothing does happen. Add to this a director, Seth Gordon, who seems to have attention deficient disorder and is afraid to have the camera on a scene more than a minute or two. What could and should be a funny sex scene has to be the dumbest and lest comic scenic ever put on film not to mention very insulting to overweight people.

The subject of identity theft is a serious one but can still offer humourous moments and “Identity Thief” has talented actors who could handle both sides of the problem but aren’t given anything to work with.

Amanda Peet, John Cho and Morris Chestnut offer good supporting performances while Eric Stonestreet forgot to leave Cameron from “Modern Family” off the set and doesn’t do himself any good here.

Jason Bateman, Melissa McCarthy and the movie audience deserve a lot better than this.
csw12Mar 4, 2013
Identity Thief is a lazy, idiotic film that insults your intelligence on almost every level. The film is so poorly done that it doesn't even complete a scene before moving onto the next. Half the time your wondering what is happening and ifIdentity Thief is a lazy, idiotic film that insults your intelligence on almost every level. The film is so poorly done that it doesn't even complete a scene before moving onto the next. Half the time your wondering what is happening and if the true comedy is the actual making of the film itself. Expand
OroiaelFeb 11, 2013
I might buy several editions of Rosetta Stone software just to learn how to say "not good" in other languages. Here is my first try, "Ayyyyeee mommy. La pelicula no es bueno!" Stupid movies can be very entertaining and allow us to divert fromI might buy several editions of Rosetta Stone software just to learn how to say "not good" in other languages. Here is my first try, "Ayyyyeee mommy. La pelicula no es bueno!" Stupid movies can be very entertaining and allow us to divert from the seriousness of everyday life. Unfortunately this movie simply made me sad. I know writing comedy can be hard, but if you are going to spend millions making a movie shouldn't the studio at least try to find someone good at it. Expand
Bruce722Jun 10, 2013
What a disappointing movie this was. Was Melissa McCarthy funny? Sure she was. But the movie was filled with nothing but annoying scenes and plot holes. If you can make it to the ending at least that part is decent but that's a really big IFWhat a disappointing movie this was. Was Melissa McCarthy funny? Sure she was. But the movie was filled with nothing but annoying scenes and plot holes. If you can make it to the ending at least that part is decent but that's a really big IF because of how absurd and borderline unwatchable this film is. Expand
billups92Mar 25, 2013
a great trailer and a poor movie.very disappointed,i expected more,it had two or three funny scenes and that is it...i wouldn`t recommend you to watch this.
hoops2448Aug 26, 2013
Bridesmaids made Melissa McCarthy a household name and for good reason but it seems to me that no one really knows how to take advantage of her many talents. Identity Thief maroons her in a sea of bad comedy and irritatingly familiar JasonBridesmaids made Melissa McCarthy a household name and for good reason but it seems to me that no one really knows how to take advantage of her many talents. Identity Thief maroons her in a sea of bad comedy and irritatingly familiar Jason Bateman moments we have all seen a thousand times. The film follows Sandy Bigelow Patterson (Bateman) as he travels from his family to track down a women who has stolen his identity and is slowly but surely ruining his life, one dollar at a time. Ultimately its a film made for McCarthy and a film that has literally no idea what it is doing. It relies heavily on fart and genital humour (Much like Bateman's Horrible Bosses) and never even attempts to be intelligent as the film flips from bizarre raunch comedy to zany road movie to unemotional family film. It doesn't have a clue where its going, what its doing or why its two main stars are acting like they've taken a fistful of tranquillizers. McCarthy wakes up when Eric Stonestreet shows up for a hilarious 10 minute sequence that successfully fooled me into thinking the film was getting better. While funny it doesn't save a film that can't tell its beginning from its end, its just bad. Expand
geedupFeb 9, 2014
I couldn't get through the entire movie. Its not funny, its not original, McCarthy is not funny nor is Bateman. I think I let out a chuckle at one point, but 2 hours of this-no chance. Don't waste your time. 'Nough said
unicornnzAug 27, 2013
Please, for the love of god spend your time doing something productive. The only thing stolen is my time that I will never get back. Dear god, how this bomb got greenlit is beyond me.
JmsbppJul 23, 2013
Maneja un buen tema familiar que no se debio boltear, las cosas cambiaron cuando comenzaron a amarla y los chistes no esran lo mismo las cosas fueron empeorando feo
tolzercubedJul 21, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Of every movie I have seen this was if not the most disappointing and terrible movie I have endured not being a childs movie.

The plot is so full of holes and the lack of any existence of common sense makes you feel like a middle schooler won the award to be director for a day.

This movie had such great potential to not only to be one of the best comedies of the year, but show identity theft to the culture, but made a big joke out of it, in the end saying to forgive criminals for anything they have done bad to you or anyone else and bring them into your family.

Identity thief rarely had a knowledge that provided a laugh for anyone over the mental age of 16.

I have never found myself so outraged at a movie before.
EpicLadySpongeApr 28, 2016
When a movie casts Melissa McCarthy, you know your movie is in trouble no matter what. Animation doesn't count and this doesn't break the rule with Identity Thief.