4.8

1. Mar 23, 2013
    Yes It's True This Movie Won't Win Any Awards But It's Funny As Hell!
  2. Mar 21, 2013
    Disappointing movie, dead humor, weak plot, two dimensional characters. It is a buddy film like "Due Date" but has no laughs. skip this movie completely.
  3. Mar 16, 2013
    I felt that this movie had decent acting that was hurt by an awful screenplay. If you don't know the premise, just read the summaryor watch the trailer. Anyway, Melissa McCarty and Jason Bateman both played very wellas Sandy Bigelow Patterson, and any fan of the two will be quite happy with this film. I wasn't. The screenplay is awful. Craig Mazin's script include's odd cursing at random times and one-liners which weren't too amusing. There were some major plot holes, which confused me (the bounty hunter?, and too many mood changes, Usually, a film has one major climax, a turning point. But in this movie, there were around 3 or 4. The movie seemed much different from the trailer, with more emphasis on action than there was in the trailer. Also, the story seems more and more unrealistic as this film goes on.There were some clever jokes, though not many, and that is why I am going high enough to gie this movie a 4. Expand
  4. Mar 10, 2013
    You know that funny diner scene in the trailer? Well, that's the only part in the movie that's funny. This is not a comedy. It's an annoying movie which will leave you feeling like time has been stolen from you. Good cast, absolutely horrible script.
  5. Mar 4, 2013
    Identity Thief is a lazy, idiotic film that insults your intelligence on almost every level. The film is so poorly done that it doesn't even complete a scene before moving onto the next. Half the time your wondering what is happening and if the true comedy is the actual making of the film itself.
  6. Mar 3, 2013
    What a waste of Bateman and McCarthy's talents. The script and plot are just all over the place, not which one of those places is funny. When the writer of your movie write Scary Movie 4 and Hangover 2, a red flag should instantly be waving.
  7. Mar 2, 2013
    Identity Thief is not as good as you might think at first. The premise isn’t something you haven’t watched before, it gives you that Oh, I knew this would happen feeling at most of the times. But I must admit that it has been handled in a little fresh way, the writer Craig Mazin has put a lot of effort to make it look good and unique, outcome of which is both good and bad, supported by Seth Gordon’s average directional contribution. Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy are good actors especially Bateman, I’m his fan since Arrested Development. The only thing good about this movie is their performances which may be helpful to get them even better films in future. Final verdict: A good pastime. Don’t expect much from it. Expand
  8. Feb 27, 2013
    It made me laugh a bunch and I think McCarthy did her best comedy performance I've seen. Only problem was the super white supremacist nature of the film, although I must say that I am a very sensitive person. OK!
  9. Feb 25, 2013
    There were a couple problems I had with this disappointingly droll comedy. First of all, anyone excited to see this movie by the hilarious previews is doomed to be disappointed. All the funniest jokes in the movie lose all there laughs seeing them the second or third or fourth time. The only other problem was it was confusing what kind of audience this film has targeted. Despite all the lewd jokes and other inappropriate parts this movie seems to want to be family movie emphasizing Jason Bateman's character Sandy Patterson loving relationship with his family and those attracted by the jokes will be bored by the film's message. Expand
  10. Feb 24, 2013
    Nice movie rather rushed thru but I did like it. There were a lot of questionable things that are not really reality. I found the actors were good actors
  11. Feb 18, 2013
    When I walked out of Legally Blonde years ago I said Reese Witherspoon deserves an Oscar for that performance. Almost the same could be said of McCarthy here. The degree of difficulty in pulling off some of this comedic acting is very very high. The movie as a whole may not be a gem....but a half dozen scenes are so perfect and so difficult that the movie deserves a viewing. There are some brilliant comedy stretches in this movie. It is not to be missed for that reason. Watch McCarthy in the diner and elsewhere as she is totally hilarious and totally believable simultaneously. Expand
  12. Feb 17, 2013
    The best of this movie is in the one-minute trailers. Bouncing from unethical to moralism, back and forth, ad nauseum. Funny in places, poorly cast, poorly written, poorly acted. Yawn.
  13. Feb 17, 2013
    Ahhhhh!!!! Identity thief is torture!!!! I just hated this film. Other than some of the jokes that work the film was just crap.... Seth Gordon forgot the rules of a great laugh out loud comedy movie. The comic story just didn't work, 1/10. The 1 is for Jason batemen aka the only good actor in the film. Avoid this movie while you still can and look forward to Mellisa Mcarthy's new upcoming film, The Heat........ Expand
  14. Feb 16, 2013
    The movie was very good. It was funny and the comedic delivery was spot on. I recommend seeing this movie. It is full of laughter and has a good plot behind it.
  15. Feb 14, 2013
    I'm gonna give "Identity Thief" an 8 because I know the reviews are hard, but for one jackass Rex Reed, I think he should be ashamed for himself talking about Melissa McCarthey's weight and called her "tractor-sized" and "female hippo." I'm on McCarthey's side, she down to Earth, one of most underrated actresses since her Oscar-nominated role in Bridesmaids. The reason that fans are so upset about Reed's ill-advised comment is because every movie critic has it's own opinion, but I don't trust movie critics. They're all villains here. And it's time for this bastard to give it up because Identity Thief" didn't eventually SOLD the tickets, it's what the audience want to see, a good-old-fashioned comedy. I agree with Paul Feig tweeted "Go f**k yourself" and as you know, I'm gonna see this movie whether Reed likes it or not. Expand
  16. Feb 14, 2013
    I laughed out loud though out this movie. This movie had great humour, timing and delivery. Anyone looking for fun entertainment should see it. Melissa has quickly moved to my number one favourite comedy actor. Movie is good for both sexes and most ages. If you enjoyed Bridesmaids, The Hangover, or Plaines Trains and Automobiles than this is right up you alley. Sit back and Enjoy.
  17. Feb 14, 2013
    No, this is certainly not a polished comedy that can stand proudly next to Bridesmaids and the rest of the canon. But with appropriately moderated expectations, you can enjoy it. There's some genuinely funny physical comedy and the movie has a heart. Bateman is terrific, and McCarthy is solid though this is not her best role and/or she's not directed with as much vigor as she has been. I seemed to have conflated this movie with the upcoming Sandra Bullock McCarthy vehicle Heat. That film goes further with the gross-out violence and in-your-face comedy. Identity Thief feels a little constrained. Expand
  18. Feb 14, 2013
    Jason Bateman's character has his identity stolen and sets out to bring the culprit (Melissa McCarthy) to justice. Their antagonistic road trip involves broad physical gags, continuous embarrassments and risky situations. Bateman plays his usual hapless character: mild-mannered, exasperated but always amusing. McCarthy spends most of the time in manic mode, which is sometimes amusing, other times tiresome. Most of the situations aren't that funny, but a random stream of one-liners peppers the proceedings with laughs. Still, it's trying too hard to be outrageous and hilarious, never succeeding at either. Mildly entertaining. Expand
  19. Feb 13, 2013
    The previews were funny and I generally love Jason Bateman movies (and he was fantastic in this) but I found the movie rather generic and predictable. It was not a let down by any means, it just wasn't a "great" movie. Most of the really funny stuff can be seen from the previews.
  20. Feb 13, 2013
    Very disappointing. All the funny parts have already been seen on TV commercials. The comedy fell short of what everyone expects from what they see on TV. It wasn't terrible, and I'm sure some people will find it hilarious, but most won't. An OK movie at best.
  21. Feb 11, 2013
    I might buy several editions of Rosetta Stone software just to learn how to say "not good" in other languages. Here is my first try, "Ayyyyeee mommy. La pelicula no es bueno!" Stupid movies can be very entertaining and allow us to divert from the seriousness of everyday life. Unfortunately this movie simply made me sad. I know writing comedy can be hard, but if you are going to spend millions making a movie shouldn't the studio at least try to find someone good at it. Expand
  22. Feb 10, 2013
    It's kind of predictable but I still liked it. The actors were good and the jokes were decent. Not the best comedy I've seen but definitely not the worst.
  23. Feb 10, 2013
    No, this movie will not win any accolades for the script, BUT, Melissa McCarthy and Jason Bateman outshine the writing. YOU WILL LAUGH! Get your popcorn, pop and candy and ENJOY IT! Don't mind what the "critics" say.
  24. Feb 9, 2013
    Very disappointed with this one.
    I was hoping to laugh a lot, but I laugh more watching the previews than watching the movie.
    It was an OK story about stolen identity.
  25. Feb 9, 2013
    To be certain, Identity Thief will win no major awards. What it will do is entertain you for about 90 minutes with great laughs and wonderful physical gags. Melissa McCarthy and Jason Bateman have great chemistry. The premise of the movie is quite timely, a guy has his identity stolen and must go after the girl who stole it. I was in a packed house for this movie, and there were plenty of laughs, some quite loud, throughout the movie. If you are on the fence and relying on scores as to whether or not to see this movie, I'd say give it a try. You should be well pleased by the end of it. Expand
  26. Feb 9, 2013
    A poorly done comedy. With few comedic moments that haven't already been seen in the previews. I counted that I laughed a total of 3 times the entire movie. The crowd in the theater was responsive but I'm not sure how they found it funny. I honestly was checking my watch and waiting for the film to end. If you like cliche comedy movies then this is the film for you. I will say that there was nothing wrong with the acting or the filming but the writing was just bad. It just wasn't very funny. Expand
  27. Feb 8, 2013
    Make no excuses, "Identity Thief" fails to bring anything new to the comedy genre. With that said, there are comedic moments that are sure to have you laughing for moments on end.
  28. Feb 8, 2013
    The two redeeming features in the movie “Identity Thief” are Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy trying to make a stupid movie funny out of every cliche ever heard/seen before in a supposed ‘comedy’. Aside from Paul Rudd Bateman is the best ‘straight’ man in movies today and, in addition, is clean shaven which is quite different for an actor in the films today.

What is there to say
    about Melissa McCarthy except that it looks like she is being typecast as the raunchy plus size woman in movies when she, obviously, has so much more to offer as an actress.

This is an ‘odd couple’ road trip movie with a screenplay by Craig Mazin who hasn’t met a line in any road trip movie that he doesn’t use. He has the two stars beating up each other, running from killers, getting into car races, and crashes, walking away as if nothing had happened. He puts a man and woman in the trunk of a car and nothing does happen. Add to this a director, Seth Gordon, who seems to have attention deficient disorder and is afraid to have the camera on a scene more than a minute or two. What could and should be a funny sex scene has to be the dumbest and lest comic scenic ever put on film not to mention very insulting to overweight people.

The subject of identity theft is a serious one but can still offer humourous moments and “Identity Thief” has talented actors who could handle both sides of the problem but aren’t given anything to work with.

Amanda Peet, John Cho and Morris Chestnut offer good supporting performances while Eric Stonestreet forgot to leave Cameron from “Modern Family” off the set and doesn’t do himself any good here.

Jason Bateman, Melissa McCarthy and the movie audience deserve a lot better than this.

1. Reviewed by: James White
    Mar 18, 2013
    Clever premise, witless execution.
  2. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Mar 11, 2013
    Melissa McCarthy’s over-the-top performance as a low-rung grifter enlivens what is otherwise a groan-worthy odd-couple comedy.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Feb 26, 2013
    Watching Identity Thief will steal nearly two hours of your life that you’ll never get back. It takes far more than it gives.