Identity Thief

4.9

1. Feb 9, 2013
    Very disappointed with this one.
    I was hoping to laugh a lot, but I laugh more watching the previews than watching the movie.
    It was an OK story about stolen identity.
  2. Feb 14, 2013
    No, this is certainly not a polished comedy that can stand proudly next to Bridesmaids and the rest of the canon. But with appropriately moderated expectations, you can enjoy it. There's some genuinely funny physical comedy and the movie has a heart. Bateman is terrific, and McCarthy is solid though this is not her best role and/or she's not directed with as much vigor as she has been.No, this is certainly not a polished comedy that can stand proudly next to Bridesmaids and the rest of the canon. But with appropriately moderated expectations, you can enjoy it. There's some genuinely funny physical comedy and the movie has a heart. Bateman is terrific, and McCarthy is solid though this is not her best role and/or she's not directed with as much vigor as she has been. I seemed to have conflated this movie with the upcoming Sandra Bullock McCarthy vehicle Heat. That film goes further with the gross-out violence and in-your-face comedy. Identity Thief feels a little constrained. Expand
  3. Feb 8, 2013
    Make no excuses, "Identity Thief" fails to bring anything new to the comedy genre. With that said, there are comedic moments that are sure to have you laughing for moments on end.
  4. Feb 17, 2013
    The best of this movie is in the one-minute trailers. Bouncing from unethical to moralism, back and forth, ad nauseum. Funny in places, poorly cast, poorly written, poorly acted. Yawn.
  5. Jun 4, 2013
    "While Identity Thief has some memorable and surprising laughs, the first half of the film is quite funny and promises well, but the second half was lacking in many areas. Batemen and McCarthy do there best, Overall this film is worth seeing at least once" B-
  6. Feb 14, 2013
    Jason Bateman's character has his identity stolen and sets out to bring the culprit (Melissa McCarthy) to justice. Their antagonistic road trip involves broad physical gags, continuous embarrassments and risky situations. Bateman plays his usual hapless character: mild-mannered, exasperated but always amusing. McCarthy spends most of the time in manic mode, which is sometimes amusing,Jason Bateman's character has his identity stolen and sets out to bring the culprit (Melissa McCarthy) to justice. Their antagonistic road trip involves broad physical gags, continuous embarrassments and risky situations. Bateman plays his usual hapless character: mild-mannered, exasperated but always amusing. McCarthy spends most of the time in manic mode, which is sometimes amusing, other times tiresome. Most of the situations aren't that funny, but a random stream of one-liners peppers the proceedings with laughs. Still, it's trying too hard to be outrageous and hilarious, never succeeding at either. Mildly entertaining. Collapse
  7. Feb 13, 2013
    Very disappointing. All the funny parts have already been seen on TV commercials. The comedy fell short of what everyone expects from what they see on TV. It wasn't terrible, and I'm sure some people will find it hilarious, but most won't. An OK movie at best.
  8. Jun 6, 2013
    Wasn't that bad of a movie, Certainly got more then a few laughs from my family and I. The biggest flaw I'd have to say is the pointless sub plot involving the mob-like boss who wants McCarthy's character dead. Has literally no relevance plot wise and would have easily cut a good 10-20 mins off the 2 hour (which is far too long for any comedy) run time. I think they would have been betterWasn't that bad of a movie, Certainly got more then a few laughs from my family and I. The biggest flaw I'd have to say is the pointless sub plot involving the mob-like boss who wants McCarthy's character dead. Has literally no relevance plot wise and would have easily cut a good 10-20 mins off the 2 hour (which is far too long for any comedy) run time. I think they would have been better off if they focused on the bounty hunter subplot instead because that character was rather enjoyable to watch.

I hated how it got so pointlessly sappy through out as well. It's a comedy, I don't want to feel depressed while watching it and they really should have cut down on that aspect of the film. Also, It took quite a while to really get into the movie. It's not until Bateman and McCarthy's characters meet when the film actually starts to get funny and that happens like 30 mins+ into the movie.

Honestly, It wasn't that bad. The parts of the film that were actual comedy were pretty funny and enjoyable. It's just the long run time and pointless subplots that ruined it for me.
  9. Mar 2, 2013
    Identity Thief is not as good as you might think at first. The premise isn’t something you haven’t watched before, it gives you that Oh, I knew this would happen feeling at most of the times. But I must admit that it has been handled in a little fresh way, the writer Craig Mazin has put a lot of effort to make it look good and unique, outcome of which is both good and bad, supported byIdentity Thief is not as good as you might think at first. The premise isn’t something you haven’t watched before, it gives you that Oh, I knew this would happen feeling at most of the times. But I must admit that it has been handled in a little fresh way, the writer Craig Mazin has put a lot of effort to make it look good and unique, outcome of which is both good and bad, supported by Seth Gordon’s average directional contribution. Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy are good actors especially Bateman, I’m his fan since Arrested Development. The only thing good about this movie is their performances which may be helpful to get them even better films in future. Final verdict: A good pastime. Don’t expect much from it. Expand
  10. Feb 10, 2013
    It's kind of predictable but I still liked it. The actors were good and the jokes were decent. Not the best comedy I've seen but definitely not the worst.
  11. Mar 3, 2013
    What a waste of Bateman and McCarthy's talents. The script and plot are just all over the place, not which one of those places is funny. When the writer of your movie write Scary Movie 4 and Hangover 2, a red flag should instantly be waving.
  12. Feb 25, 2013
    There were a couple problems I had with this disappointingly droll comedy. First of all, anyone excited to see this movie by the hilarious previews is doomed to be disappointed. All the funniest jokes in the movie lose all there laughs seeing them the second or third or fourth time. The only other problem was it was confusing what kind of audience this film has targeted. Despite all theThere were a couple problems I had with this disappointingly droll comedy. First of all, anyone excited to see this movie by the hilarious previews is doomed to be disappointed. All the funniest jokes in the movie lose all there laughs seeing them the second or third or fourth time. The only other problem was it was confusing what kind of audience this film has targeted. Despite all the lewd jokes and other inappropriate parts this movie seems to want to be family movie emphasizing Jason Bateman's character Sandy Patterson loving relationship with his family and those attracted by the jokes will be bored by the film's message. Expand
  13. Feb 13, 2013
    The previews were funny and I generally love Jason Bateman movies (and he was fantastic in this) but I found the movie rather generic and predictable. It was not a let down by any means, it just wasn't a "great" movie. Most of the really funny stuff can be seen from the previews.
  14. Mar 16, 2013
    I felt that this movie had decent acting that was hurt by an awful screenplay. If you don't know the premise, just read the summaryor watch the trailer. Anyway, Melissa McCarty and Jason Bateman both played very wellas Sandy Bigelow Patterson, and any fan of the two will be quite happy with this film. I wasn't. The screenplay is awful. Craig Mazin's script include's odd cursing at randomI felt that this movie had decent acting that was hurt by an awful screenplay. If you don't know the premise, just read the summaryor watch the trailer. Anyway, Melissa McCarty and Jason Bateman both played very wellas Sandy Bigelow Patterson, and any fan of the two will be quite happy with this film. I wasn't. The screenplay is awful. Craig Mazin's script include's odd cursing at random times and one-liners which weren't too amusing. There were some major plot holes, which confused me (the bounty hunter?, and too many mood changes, Usually, a film has one major climax, a turning point. But in this movie, there were around 3 or 4. The movie seemed much different from the trailer, with more emphasis on action than there was in the trailer. Also, the story seems more and more unrealistic as this film goes on.There were some clever jokes, though not many, and that is why I am going high enough to gie this movie a 4. Expand
  15. Jun 17, 2013
    A mixed bag there are some funny scenes, but not enough for a recommendation. Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy give solid performances, but the script and some of the minor characters are not strong enough.
  16. Jun 5, 2013
    This movie wants SO BADLY to be this generations' Midnight Run, it hurts. The road trip, one lead character bringing the other to "justice", the bounty hunter, the killers, the scamming of expense money, of course they learn to like each other by the end...it's like a checklist of the DeNiro/Grodin classic. And that movie was by no means original, itself. Take Bateman's low key, put-uponThis movie wants SO BADLY to be this generations' Midnight Run, it hurts. The road trip, one lead character bringing the other to "justice", the bounty hunter, the killers, the scamming of expense money, of course they learn to like each other by the end...it's like a checklist of the DeNiro/Grodin classic. And that movie was by no means original, itself. Take Bateman's low key, put-upon character and McCarthy's brash, vulger character, put them in situations....there's the movie. There's a few laughs, but not as many as you would think. And for a wacky comedy, McCarthy cries, what, about seven times during this? I guess they wanted that Planes, Trains and Automobiles feel to it. Nope. Just a shadow of those better films. Expand
  17. May 28, 2013
    A poor comedy. The film has funny moments however there are algo more boring moments. Jason Bateman is a clowns and acts like it. Melissa McCarthy is a comedy queen even though this is not her best role.
  18. Jun 17, 2013
    This movie is funny but not as good as I expected, it had its parts, but overall, not recommended, but still McCarthy rocks! It has "all seen before" scenes, raunchy laughs, but McCarthy saves the day this time.
  19. Jun 22, 2013
    I really recommend to skip this movie, after I watched I was very disappointed and I left the cinema with the feeling that I really should have been doing something more important
  20. Jul 7, 2013
    Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy do everything they can to spark this movie as a comedy. There are definite moments in the movie that are sure to leave you laughing while other moments are sure to leave you board. The movie starts off slow and has slow moments in both the middle and the end. I had high hopes for this movie and was expecting it to be nothing but hilarious due to theJason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy do everything they can to spark this movie as a comedy. There are definite moments in the movie that are sure to leave you laughing while other moments are sure to leave you board. The movie starts off slow and has slow moments in both the middle and the end. I had high hopes for this movie and was expecting it to be nothing but hilarious due to the previews which actually showed all the funny moments in the movie leaving no suspense once watched. However, this movie did leave me laughing throughout at certain moments and I will never forget the end when McCarthys character learns her real name... Priceless moment to say the least. Expand
  21. Dec 21, 2013
    Melissa McCarthy is one of the funniest females in Hollywood. After wasting her talent for 7 seasons on Gilmore Girls, she finally got her big break and hasn't slowed down since. One of her latest films is Identity Thief, which is also Seth Gordon's follow up to the hit comedy, Horrible Bosses. Much like his last film, Identity Thief has a whole bunch of funny scenes and outrageousMelissa McCarthy is one of the funniest females in Hollywood. After wasting her talent for 7 seasons on Gilmore Girls, she finally got her big break and hasn't slowed down since. One of her latest films is Identity Thief, which is also Seth Gordon's follow up to the hit comedy, Horrible Bosses. Much like his last film, Identity Thief has a whole bunch of funny scenes and outrageous characters, but fails to deliver a solid story to go with it. Sandy Bigelow Patterson (Jason Bateman) is a man with a girls name, making him the prime target for a female (Melissa McCarthy) who makes a living stealing from everyone else. The laws surrounding identity theft make prosecutions very difficult and it can sometimes take years before everything is straightened out. Patterson, with his new job and home on the line, can't wait for that and decides to confront his assailant. As I said earlier there are some real funny moments in this film, but the story is sadly extremely predictable. Identity Theft is something that has never really been done in comedy before. With the right story behind it, this really could have been the next Hangover, but sadly, the Hangover it is not. As usual Bateman and McCarthy are both terrific and to my surprise, had some pretty good chemistry together. Identity Thief is not a movie that sticks with you long after it's over. It is a good way to kill a few hours and good for a few laughs, but not much else. Expand
  22. Sep 1, 2014
    Identity Thief rests on the shoulders of Melissa McCarthy. The premise is more than clever; it simply gets lost in the shuffle now and then. Still, the film is amusing and benefits from a talented cast.
  23. Aug 3, 2013
    I'm a fan of both Melissa McCarthy and Jason Bateman. But the script here is so witless, the two hour comedy is limited to very few laughs, and almost admirable accomplishment given the original premise.
  24. Dec 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Little fun adventurous popcorn movie. It was an average movie, Melissa
    MacCarthy was really good and without her it would have been unworthy
    to see or mention. Jason Bateman was only a good man of the story but
    Melissa controlled the movie who is actually a thief. Her impressive
    acting from the movie 'The Heat' is still fresh in my eyes which made
    this movie a bit curious.

Sandy is a married and hard working man but he's struggling to pay to
    lead a normal life from his earnings. He did not realize someone is
    behind it who stole his identity and spending his money till he was
    arrested. When the law gives thumbs down and so his company, he takes
    all the risk of his own and go a trip to find the thief. Like a bounty
    hunter he finds his man who is actually a lady. To bring her back to
    his town, that is where the real problem lies when some strange people
    are on their trail for their quest.

From the Director Seth Gordon of recent blockbuster 'Horrible Bosses'
    fame. He retained Jason Bateman for this comedy flick but like I said
    Melissa MacCarthy steals the show. The fun was not even close like what
    the 'Horrible Bosses' though somehow enjoyable. It's supposed to be a
    pure fun filled movie but in the second half they began to turn it over
    to character sentimental. Sometimes the emotions are very dry which had
    no depth of feelings. It won't convince the audience to have a fondness
    for characters but well tried. Call it an a simple time pass movie.
  25. Aug 5, 2013
    McCarthy is fantastic in her role as the thief: the cutthroat attitude, bad behaviour and careless spending suits her well. Bateman isn't ruthless or even particularly funny as Sandy Patterson and thus lets the side down slightly. John Cho plays a boorish boss and the extra obstacles that the duo face are simply not needed. Identity Thief does have a few funny scenes to please the viewerMcCarthy is fantastic in her role as the thief: the cutthroat attitude, bad behaviour and careless spending suits her well. Bateman isn't ruthless or even particularly funny as Sandy Patterson and thus lets the side down slightly. John Cho plays a boorish boss and the extra obstacles that the duo face are simply not needed. Identity Thief does have a few funny scenes to please the viewer Snakes and Fist-Fights to name a few and the movie really comes into its own when both leads are trying to trample each other. It's a soft, caramel conclusion. Identity Thief is satisfying...You won't be wasting time with this one but you probably won't miss much either. Expand
  26. Dec 13, 2014
    Middle of the road in terms of comedy films. It could have been worse. Bateman and McCarthy provide a few laughs during their journey. The film's insistence on trying to make you well up with emotion over an incredibly unrealistic story is however, embarrassing. If you are a casual film fan who has a soft spot for comedies, don't hesitate to try it.
  27. Apr 18, 2014
    Was really hoping that this movie was going to be good but it was a major let down. I really wanted to like it but the jokes just weren't funny. I'm not saying that I never laughed because I did but not as often as I should have for a good comedy movie.
  28. Jul 7, 2014
    Identity Thief is a drama in disguise, where in some parts it is funny, but for the most part it is entertaining and more of a heartwarming movie, despite its countless flaws.
  29. Nov 13, 2014
    "Identity Thief" 10 Scale Rating: 6.5 (Decent) ...

The Good: Much better than I expected and not as vulgar as I assumed it would be, the film has some genuinely funny moments. I am possibly the only reviewer on Earth who didn't like McCarthy in "Bridesmaids", but she was very good in this ... both comically and dramatically. Bateman was the same guy he always is, but it works. The
    "Identity Thief" 10 Scale Rating: 6.5 (Decent) ...

The Bad: Not that you expect more, but the plot is paper thin. The police in the film might be the most clueless bunch that I have ever seen, but I guess there wouldn't be a movie if they weren't. A few gags got a tad repetitive.

1. Reviewed by: James White
    Mar 18, 2013
    Clever premise, witless execution.
  2. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Mar 11, 2013
    Melissa McCarthy’s over-the-top performance as a low-rung grifter enlivens what is otherwise a groan-worthy odd-couple comedy.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Feb 26, 2013
    Watching Identity Thief will steal nearly two hours of your life that you’ll never get back. It takes far more than it gives.