Identity

8.8

1. May 25, 2013
    Two, seemingly unconnected, plotlines run throughout Identity. In one ten travellers are forced to seek shelter in a remote motel following a sudden torrential downpour. It soon turns out that there may be killer among them as one by one the guests start to go missing. Meanwhile in an office elsewhere a late appeal is being heard to decide the fate of serial killer Malcolm Rivers.Two, seemingly unconnected, plotlines run throughout Identity. In one ten travellers are forced to seek shelter in a remote motel following a sudden torrential downpour. It soon turns out that there may be killer among them as one by one the guests start to go missing. Meanwhile in an office elsewhere a late appeal is being heard to decide the fate of serial killer Malcolm Rivers.

Featuring an excellent cast Identity does an excellent job of keeping the audience guessing throughout, almost everyone seemingly becoming the number one suspect at some point. When the reality eventually unfolds it is a truly unexpected twist that importantly holds up on second viewing. A tense, clever thriller Identity is certainly one to watch.
  2. Nov 12, 2012
    Plays like a classic game of Clue, but don't get me wrong. This baby is exhilarating and fresh. You'll like everything it gives you.
  3. Aug 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Identity is a thriller about 10 people who are stucked due to a rainstorm in a hotel. Though it has great suspense the ''twist'' is not something really good. All these theories about the people who have psychological and they create many personalities was a little bit weird and confusing. However the whole atmosphere and all that dark climate were extraordinary. The idea was something new and i was impressed after I learnt who the killer was. It is a really good thriller with a great cinematography and it was really dark which is a good thing for a thriller like Identity Expand
  4. nickl
    Jun 25, 2010
    One of the most unique movies ive seen and very well done.
  5. Dec 9, 2012
    "Identity" is both a refreshing and engaging thriller, following the horrific and mysterious events that take place after a group of strangers end up stuck at a run-down motel in the middle of a rainstorm. The performances by all the actors are very good, especially from John Cusack and Amanda Peet, and the third act is actually pretty fantastic. The first twist was quite predictable, but"Identity" is both a refreshing and engaging thriller, following the horrific and mysterious events that take place after a group of strangers end up stuck at a run-down motel in the middle of a rainstorm. The performances by all the actors are very good, especially from John Cusack and Amanda Peet, and the third act is actually pretty fantastic. The first twist was quite predictable, but to my entertainment, it didn't stop there, and succeeded in closing on a truly unforeseen final reveal that is an honestly wonderful sleight-of-hand. The depths to which this movie takes you into the killer's mind is truly surreal and creative, and surprisingly enough makes you sympathize with the guy and understand just how lost his mind really is. It's a great little find and well worth a watch. Expand
  6. R.L.
    Feb 18, 2009
    Let me star off by saying that with this movie you don't get what you expect. You buy this movie expecting a good slasher mystery thriller, that's not what you get here. Identity stars John Cusack, Ray Liotta & Amanda Peet as three of the ten strangers trapped in a run down motel during a savage thunder storm. The film starts off by introducing the characters, and then showing Let me star off by saying that with this movie you don't get what you expect. You buy this movie expecting a good slasher mystery thriller, that's not what you get here. Identity stars John Cusack, Ray Liotta & Amanda Peet as three of the ten strangers trapped in a run down motel during a savage thunder storm. The film starts off by introducing the characters, and then showing how they all got to the motel. The York's had a a family crisis, the limo driver was in an accident, the actress on her way to Hollywood for a small TV gig, the newly married couple with martial trouble, and the cop transporting a convict. These ten people have nothing in common, nothing except all there names are of places & they all have the same birthday. But now all ten of them are trapped in a motel with nowhere to go. Soon enough one of them turns up dead and they realize that there's a killer among them, now the nine have to find out who is trying to kill them before there's none of them left. Identity is a fast-paced extremely entertaining movie with a great idea and a bad story. Expand
  7. Mar 14, 2015
    If you've ever read And Then There Were None, you know what you're getting into... for the most part. This movie starts out on autopilot, pulling out a lot of whodunit cliches, until the last half of the movie goes off the rails into its own twisty and intense thriller. The little twists and turns surprised me and kept me invested in the plot, and the twist towards the end, while notIf you've ever read And Then There Were None, you know what you're getting into... for the most part. This movie starts out on autopilot, pulling out a lot of whodunit cliches, until the last half of the movie goes off the rails into its own twisty and intense thriller. The little twists and turns surprised me and kept me invested in the plot, and the twist towards the end, while not mind-blowing, is a nice change for this type of movie, if only it wasn't revealed so early. The final ten minutes of the movie is slightly confusing, and the "shocker" ending is almost laughable. It's on Netflix, so if you're looking for a suspenseful and fun movie, I recommend it. Expand
  8. WJS
    Jul 25, 2015
    Entertaining "who-dun-it", with a great cast and lots of fun twists and turns. The major problem that I have is that each individual characters story line seems to fall out of a soap opera.
  9. Dan
    Sep 8, 2003
    This movie builds on all the greats of the last forty years (particularly 'Psycho') and unleashes a smart, addictive twist of events that lead to the ultimate payoff. Although the gore is overdone in some scenes, as most modern slasher films are, the movie is an eerie, Hitchcock-esque puzzle that probably can't be figured out; although the film's revelations are This movie builds on all the greats of the last forty years (particularly 'Psycho') and unleashes a smart, addictive twist of events that lead to the ultimate payoff. Although the gore is overdone in some scenes, as most modern slasher films are, the movie is an eerie, Hitchcock-esque puzzle that probably can't be figured out; although the film's revelations are amazing once they come out in the open. Compared to the brainless, cliched teen slashers and ghost movies out there, this one is definitely the best. It's perhaps the most rewarding horror movie I've seen in five years, minimum. Expand
  10. Phatman
    May 4, 2003
    I don't understand how the conclusion could be "laughable" like some people said. It's slightly predictable, but it's really good. The beginning sequence was really well done (when people were starting to arrive at the motel). That's how movies should be made.
  11. RichardD.
    Jun 6, 2003
    More twists and turns than a funfare big dipper. Very satisfying!
  12. DavidG.
    May 9, 2003
    This movie was fantastic!
  13. SteveH.
    Jun 30, 2003
    This movie kept me in suspense from beginning to end. The fact that the storyline cannot be well predicted is so refreshing. It was quite clever.
  14. KeithE.
    Sep 20, 2003
    This was a thought provoking film about ten strangers stuck in a hotel.... suddenly people start dieing. You spend the next hour and twenty minutes frantically trying to find the killer. Then a twist throws everyone off. Very interesting movie.
  15. anshumanr
    Jan 30, 2010
    I was entirely blown away by the script ,cucak is in his full elements.
  16. Fantasy
    Apr 26, 2003
    Well done psycho thriller with a surprise ending. Sort of felt like the Bates Motel where the guests check in but they don't check out? Unless of course, "checking out" means no longer being alive? You will be left with one question: Is it real or is it Memorex? Enjoy!
  17. JackD.
    Apr 27, 2003
    It is 3/4 of a really good movie. Everything is great until they reveal what is really going on...The mood and direction are very well presented....
  18. Walker
    Apr 30, 2003
    For myself, this is one of the most orginal movies I've ever seen. It has a very confusing ending, but if you have the attention span of at least an 8 year old; you should have no problem following the conclusion. It had elements of Final Destination, Phsycho, and Seven. The ensamble cast does an excellent job and when the twist ending takes another turn; I really felt it worked and For myself, this is one of the most orginal movies I've ever seen. It has a very confusing ending, but if you have the attention span of at least an 8 year old; you should have no problem following the conclusion. It had elements of Final Destination, Phsycho, and Seven. The ensamble cast does an excellent job and when the twist ending takes another turn; I really felt it worked and was expertally written. Expand
    May 25, 2003
    I usually dont see movies like this one in the theatre, but I am glad I did. The first hour is just SO GOOD!!! It is not too scary and it is a lot of fun to watch. Well, an hour in, there is only 30 minutes left and I cant wait to see what happens and then BAM, they do a plot twist that takes the horror out of the movie, for the last 30 minutes of the movie, it was still enjoyable, but I usually dont see movies like this one in the theatre, but I am glad I did. The first hour is just SO GOOD!!! It is not too scary and it is a lot of fun to watch. Well, an hour in, there is only 30 minutes left and I cant wait to see what happens and then BAM, they do a plot twist that takes the horror out of the movie, for the last 30 minutes of the movie, it was still enjoyable, but not very good. Now, I am not going to ruin the ending but it made me feel that about another 30 minutes was left out. Anyway the movie is very enjoyable and I would definitely recommend you to see it! Expand
  20. RichardG.
    May 4, 2003
    This is a "Who Done it?" modern type of move, a movie with a wicked twist, and a movie that plays on the fears of the audience. It is well put together and offers has a cast of the best acting pedigree. This movie has everything and no one will get bored with this movie. Fantastic writing and acting.
  21. DerekW.
    Jun 23, 2003
    The beginning was amazing, linking everybody to each other. I thought that was absolutely brillant!!!! However, the middle area felt like the same old whodunnits that horror movies always fall into. I really hate sitting there saying to myself "its him, no her, no him, oh I know!" and then being right. The plot twist was excellent. I never saw it coming at all. I love learning things as The beginning was amazing, linking everybody to each other. I thought that was absolutely brillant!!!! However, the middle area felt like the same old whodunnits that horror movies always fall into. I really hate sitting there saying to myself "its him, no her, no him, oh I know!" and then being right. The plot twist was excellent. I never saw it coming at all. I love learning things as the people in the movie do, it really allows you to put yourself in their place. The ending was sort of what I expected it to be, again being right in my prediction as to who the killer is or might be. Everything came together in the movie, plot twists came at the right time, and made perfect sense in my mind. The only reason I'm not giving this movie a 9 or 10, is because I really don't like slasher flicks. But I live for the twists, if they're done right, as in this movie. Expand
  22. AndrewM.
    Apr 4, 2004
    As a suspense/thriller, this is very very good. Great direction. I didn't actually like the ending (in terms of was it what I wanted to see) but it was well done, and certainly original. I bought this on dvd before seeing it and now I'm quite happy that I own it. Good film.
  23. raVen
    Aug 10, 2004
    (8.5) Black. Deep, deep black. I had previously thought - assumed - that the psych/thriller/horror/mystery depths had been plumbed to their limits with "Fallen" and the graphic "Se7en." But much more than either of those two films, "Identity" trumps physical violence with an even more effective cinematic noose: violence of the mind. And while the various violent sequences of the movie (8.5) Black. Deep, deep black. I had previously thought - assumed - that the psych/thriller/horror/mystery depths had been plumbed to their limits with "Fallen" and the graphic "Se7en." But much more than either of those two films, "Identity" trumps physical violence with an even more effective cinematic noose: violence of the mind. And while the various violent sequences of the movie arouse the predictable and primal gut reaction expected from this tool, the true power -and horror- of the movie lies in the fact that each of these episodes are subservient to a greater, even more horrifying event. We are left then, uniquely, to worry less about how awful it might feel to be stabbed or shot, and more about what it must be to be completely out of one's mind. There is no way we'll ever know just how accurate Identity's interpretation of this mindset is, but it certainly gives one pause... Not to mention the need for a nice, cheery cartoon afterwards. Expand
  24. BenjaminB.
    Jul 1, 2007
    The problem with this movie is that you don't get what you expect. If you expect a typical horror-mystery thriller, you will not become happy with this movie, because in the end it is almost a psychological study. So if you are open for genre-mixtures, you will get a good movie. I give it a 8, because for me it was too obvious who was the murderer.
  25. JamesK.
    Jul 15, 2009
    Although the final plot twist is slightly lame, the premise is interesting.
  26. MattZ.
    Oct 18, 2003
    I was into the movie from start to finish and thats all i can ask for in a film. I'm thinking of asking santa for this one for x-mas. excellent flick!
  27. LeeF.
    Apr 27, 2003
    Like the usa today review, it had a head scratcher of a twist. coincidentally, 3 of my co-workers were at the same showing and we gathered in the lobby aftertwards trying to figure it out. All of us had different opinions. My girlfriend had the most plausible one (I won't reveal it) and i went with hers. I enjoyed Cusack and the all the rest and any movie that makes you talk about itLike the usa today review, it had a head scratcher of a twist. coincidentally, 3 of my co-workers were at the same showing and we gathered in the lobby aftertwards trying to figure it out. All of us had different opinions. My girlfriend had the most plausible one (I won't reveal it) and i went with hers. I enjoyed Cusack and the all the rest and any movie that makes you talk about it afterwards is ok (not unlike Memento). Beats being forgettable like many others. Expand
  28. HerbieF.
    Apr 28, 2003
    I liked it as it had me on the edge of my seat. The problem with those who did not is that they did not understand the ending? Spoilers omitted what you thought you saw as the ending was not what had actually happened in reality. Think about it and it will come to you.
  29. BillyB.
    May 11, 2003
    A better title for this movie would be "A Warped Sense of Reality". When it gets to the end, what you thought you were watching -wasn't. And as for the surprise ending, in reality that is not what really happened. Confused. Go see the movie as you will enjoy it.
  30. PaulG.
    May 11, 2003
    A thriller with a great ending!
  31. RichardThisisGreat!
    May 4, 2003
    Great movie, great writing, mystery type of movie, suprising and interesting.
  32. ShirleyL.
    May 5, 2003
    Well acted with a great cast. A keep you guessing story that is will written and very tightly wrapped. Very tense and full of suspence. Scary and fun and well worth seeing.
  33. Michael
    Sep 21, 2003
    Excellent suspenseful thriller- loved the ending!
  34. BenW.
    Sep 6, 2003
    It was spooky and suspensful throughout, and even halfway through or so, you might be thinking you've seen it all done before, but bear with me and really trust me -- you haven't.
  35. Marc-o
    Jan 14, 2004
    Unpredictable and clever , i thinks thats how one critic described the first jeepers Creepers film only this is good the whole way through, good cast too. hard to take that the guy who wrote this was responsabile for Jack frost 2: Return of the mutant killer snowman Wierd.
  36. F.S.
    Jan 31, 2004
    Really good, ENDING was awesome.
  37. JohnY.
    Apr 26, 2003
    There?s nothing like a skillful horror film, and "Identity" is one of the best in recent years. It provides the scares while plunging deep into the arena of abnormal psychology. The cast and atmosphere are perfect, and there is a plot twist that, rather than acting as a gimmick, actually provides for intelligent discussion afterwards.
  38. KatA.
    Apr 29, 2003
    This movie is really good and scary for the first 2/3, but it goes downhill when it makes the transition into a psychological trip. The idea is intriguing and the cast, particularly John Cusack and John C. Mcginley are awesome, but it wasn't quite what I expected.
  39. ScottM.
    May 12, 2003
    I respect a movie that has courage to stand out and be daring. this movie gave you goosebumps while making you stay interested in the mind-blowing plot. It deserved the 10 and I was pleased with the ending.
  40. JamesS.
    Sep 21, 2003
    I thought the movie started as a typical horror movie, then the plot started to pick up, by the time I got to the end my head was spinning too much to catch the credits!
  41. Mar 5, 2015
    Entirely unique, Identity is a film that rides on its twists and turns, which will leave you on the edge of your seat throughout. A perfect example of psychological horror, this one will bend your brain as you try to put the pieces together, and then actually let you snap them together before finally punching you in the brain at the end. The direction from James Mangold is very good, as heEntirely unique, Identity is a film that rides on its twists and turns, which will leave you on the edge of your seat throughout. A perfect example of psychological horror, this one will bend your brain as you try to put the pieces together, and then actually let you snap them together before finally punching you in the brain at the end. The direction from James Mangold is very good, as he managed to help this film not get lost with its complex and unique premise, which is impressive to say the least. I also really liked the cinematography here, really captured everything beautifully. The acting from John Cusack, Ray Liotta, Amanda Peet, and John Hawkes, is really good, though the whole cast is pretty strong as a unit. Overall, Identity is one that will have you questioning what is going on throughout and while it is not one that will eat you up inside for a few days afterwards with questions, it is one that will stay with you thanks to the impeccable last half hour and, hell, strong first hour preceding that. This is one that sets you up very well and then pulls the chair out from underneath you. Expand
  42. Nov 9, 2015
    I'm usually good at figuring out movies. This one had me totally stumped. I was very surprised at the ending but really enjoyed the movie. Highly recommend seeing this one.
  43. Mar 7, 2016
    One of the best films I never planned to watch, but when I did, I was (positively) shocked and amazed!
    Film is interesting enough to get you hooked up to the story, but real thing comes with the end.

1. Cusack is especially good in a role that's got more (and less) going on under the surface, while Peet offers up another coltish, trash-mouthed vamp.
    Managed to pull the rug out from under me about three-quarters of the way through, and I still hadn't found my feet when the credits rolled.
  3. A slick, bloody thriller, but it's also, to its credit, a genuine whodunit.