tbd

No user score yet- Awaiting 2 more ratings

1. Dec 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ms Coesens performance is exceptional. I winced at every moment, not knowing what was to happen. I was not drawn into the politics as I'm not sure that was the intent. What kept this film from "A" quality is what was happening concerning deportation. I was frustrated that the reason or policy for illegals was not explained. In a country not known for mistreating people there are some glaring and incredulous scenes. Therefore, I was drawn in to the emotion, the passion, and the fear but disappointed there was no explanation of why illegals are treated this way in Belgium. Expand

1. Reviewed by: V.A. Musetto
    Mar 25, 2011
    Anne Coesens, wife of the film's director, Olivier Masset-Depasse, gives a strong performance as Tania.
  2. Reviewed by: Manohla Dargis
    Mar 24, 2011
    One problem is that while Mr. Masset-Depasse frames Tania's status in vague political terms, he doesn't make an argument. Instead he creates heroes and villains in what is, by turns, a prison flick, a psychological thriller and a maternal melodrama.
  3. Reviewed by: Joshua Rothkopf
    Mar 22, 2011
    Illegal has caused a stir in Belgium, and the sincerity of the movie can't be denied. But there's little emotion to hold on to, apart from a mother's impotent concern about her wayward teenage son (Gontcharov), still on the outside.