I'm Not There.

6.7

1. johnny2cents
    Jan 10, 2009
    Heartbreaking.. I know Haynes was trying to capture the enigma that Dylan is and has been but good grief what was he thinking?? Watching Masked and Anonymous wasn't great but at least it was watchable and sometimes funny. I only hope that someone someday does capture the greatest 20th century songwriter
  2. JohnW.
    Sep 29, 2008
    One of the first movies where I have fallen asleep in my entire life. It was the biggest load of rubbish I have ever seen. Just to be clear, I love music and the only scene that was on the entire movie that was worth something was (hence the score of 1) was where the 3 dudes sit on the porch and play the song with their guitars. That was decent and sounded great. The rest. Drivel. Sorry.
  3. tbi
    Sep 7, 2008
    This movie seemed to be long winded , boring, and confusing. I feel like the people who might seek this movie out, may not have the attention span to even follow it, or maybe zone in and out of it. Too bad.
  4. RichardW.
    Jul 13, 2008
    An incoherent mess filled with great performances (Ledger, Blanchett for two) wasted.
  5. ConradK.
    Jun 18, 2008
    Forrest Gump meets the persona of Bob Dylan, with chaotic results in the screenwriters' heads. Insufferably boring.
  6. JorettaS.
    Jun 14, 2008
    Worst movie of my life. Only watched because Hubby loves Dylan. My God, what a piece of garbage. No wonder it never played in the theaters. Long live Dylan...can this flick.
  7. RayS.
    Jun 14, 2008
    Only a 3 for the music. I've been a Dylan guy since the 60s. I have no idea what this flick is about. Terrible. Maybe if I was a poet or something I might have seen through all the bull----. Surely someone could have made a realistic movie about this guy, but we were thrown this crap. Too bad......But I still love Bobby for what HE is, not this guy in this movie. (or guys?)
  8. TracyM.
    Jun 4, 2008
    Most painful and pointless movie I have ever seen.
  9. DotF.
    May 31, 2008
    I watched all of it and kept waiting for it to get better. I do like Bob Dylan. I like surrealism. I like Fellini. I hated this godawful mess. What a waste of time and money.
  10. MelB.
    May 26, 2008
    This confirms that the so called experts (critics) don't have a clue as to what makes up a good movie. This movie stinks! Don't waste your time.
  11. CMSCMS
    May 17, 2008
    Kate blanchett is really good. Then there's the interest of seeing some big name actors play a very original role. Then there is the movie, once the gimic of seeing these actors in this role wears off, this movie is awful. Fast forward awful...... although, if you studied philosophy, psychology, art, or other stuff like that; maybe you will find the needle in the haystack and enjoy this.
  12. Philrock
    Feb 1, 2008
    A couple of interesting vignettes, but utterly boring. One of the few movies that I walked out on before the end.
  13. tdmac
    Jan 30, 2008
    Ugh. I thought I was dying from torture techniques by the end...the many opportunities for a merciful ending. Please let it end! Oh No! We're back in the western town! Kill Me. And I went to art school.
  14. TomB.
    Jan 19, 2008
    A good friend said it best as we were preparing to leave the theatre after watching I'm Not There, "That is two hours I will never get back." He of course was talking about the non-sequitor path in the life of Bob Dylan, incredulously put to celluloid. The vignettes in the different personae of lives couldn't save the film built around metaphors of civil unrest and struggle, A good friend said it best as we were preparing to leave the theatre after watching I'm Not There, "That is two hours I will never get back." He of course was talking about the non-sequitor path in the life of Bob Dylan, incredulously put to celluloid. The vignettes in the different personae of lives couldn't save the film built around metaphors of civil unrest and struggle, hence the references to the life of Dylan. The resounding theme centered around the tobacco industry, showing that it could still spend advertising dollars in one of the last mediums available to it. Anyone who could breath in the movie was puffing on a cigarette. In one of the vignettes I was somewhat surprised they didn't find a way to put a cancer stick in the mouth of the woman on a Halloween stage play, portrayed as dead in a prop casket. Even that scene fell from all senses. In it, the character of Richard Gere donned a mask to protect his identity and protest a government exercise of eminent domain. With his arrest, someone in the crowd said, "Once a thief, always a thief." I dug deep for that one to pare civil unrest to the crime of robbery by Pat Garrett, and thought about its deeper meaning. Forgive me, I can't consciously go through any mental exercise with this film. There was a couple minutes of entertainment as a young Marcus Carl Franklin, named Woody Guthrie, plucked a round of skittles in a trio of guitar virtuoso. Even Cate Blanchett couldn't save this film. Her portrayal of Dylan was almost believable. In one scene she was in a playful mood with the Beatles in the park. The Beatles were playful, and the frolicking was sped up to represent the fast motion of the Fab Four. I left wishing they had sped up the entire movie, fast forwarding to the end. In that way my friend and I would not have wasted two hours of our lives. If I were to like this movie, maybe I would need psychedelic drugs, strapped down with my eyes taped open like Malcolm McDowell in Clockwork Orange. Expand
  15. Nora
    Jan 14, 2008
    I'm Not There" is the worst, most pretentious, sloppy piece of non-film-making that I have ever seen. This is the first movie that I have ever walked out on. The film critics who raved about this film must have been smoking "funny" cigarettes, while they were watching this mishmash of a train-wreck. Save your money. If you want to see a good film about Bob Dylan, rent Martin I'm Not There" is the worst, most pretentious, sloppy piece of non-film-making that I have ever seen. This is the first movie that I have ever walked out on. The film critics who raved about this film must have been smoking "funny" cigarettes, while they were watching this mishmash of a train-wreck. Save your money. If you want to see a good film about Bob Dylan, rent Martin Scorsese's documentary. Expand
  16. ScottS
    Jan 2, 2008
    Pretentious, incoherent and staggeringly bad. Critics who rave about the film do so to feel superior to the moviegoing public, claiming they "get it". Only Mick LaSalle is honest in his criticism: the film is a failure. Of the actors, Heath Ledger fares best, while the overly-praised Cate Blanchett looks remarkably like, well, Cate Blanchett. And after putting up with this film for 120 of Pretentious, incoherent and staggeringly bad. Critics who rave about the film do so to feel superior to the moviegoing public, claiming they "get it". Only Mick LaSalle is honest in his criticism: the film is a failure. Of the actors, Heath Ledger fares best, while the overly-praised Cate Blanchett looks remarkably like, well, Cate Blanchett. And after putting up with this film for 120 of it's 155 minute running time, I was not longer there. Expand
  17. AaronH.
    Nov 24, 2007
    Wow...I was begging for this movie to be over. They kept teasing like each scene would finally end this snoozer but they never did. Half the audience walked out before this was over.
  18. AaronS.
    Nov 23, 2007
    Todd Haynes experimental Dylan bio-pic is an experiment that fails. As a huge Dylan fan, I took nothing away from this. The stunt casting was just that-a stunt. The various allusions to '60 art films were pointless. And the film's free form structure does the film in-it just becomes a pointless jumble. A game cast is totally wasted-Blanchett is overrated and what Richard Todd Haynes experimental Dylan bio-pic is an experiment that fails. As a huge Dylan fan, I took nothing away from this. The stunt casting was just that-a stunt. The various allusions to '60 art films were pointless. And the film's free form structure does the film in-it just becomes a pointless jumble. A game cast is totally wasted-Blanchett is overrated and what Richard Gere's segment has to do with anything is beyond me. A total misfire from Haynes. I love Dylan and I recommend you go and throw on a couple of his albums. A far more rewarding prospect than sitting through this film. Expand
  19. SamJ.
    Nov 22, 2007
    Completely ridiculous notices here by people who love Dylan, but may not be serious movie fans. This is a disjointed, overly stylized treatise which is often torturous to sit through. I adored Haynes' FAR FROM HEAVEN, but this is a major disappointment.

1. Too often, it’s the MOVIE that isn’t there. What’s meant to be archetypal comes across as superficial.
    So what if nothing is revealed. Todd Haynes is a mischievous visionary who puts the music and the myth of Bob Dylan before us in I'm Not There and dares us not to revel in the troubadour's poetic, contentious, ever-changing essence. It's a feast for the eyes, the ears and the Dylanologist scratching around our minds and hearts.
    One of the most inventive and joyous movies of the year.