Sony Pictures Classics | Release Date: June 28, 2013
5.5
Mixed or average reviews based on 30 Ratings
WATCH NOW
mikeyPAJul 8, 2013
Almodovar has set the bar so incredibly high with the evolution of his creativity and the brilliance of his work that I'm So Excited is bound to disappoint even his most ardent fans. Taken on its own, the film is light, entertaining andAlmodovar has set the bar so incredibly high with the evolution of his creativity and the brilliance of his work that I'm So Excited is bound to disappoint even his most ardent fans. Taken on its own, the film is light, entertaining and fun--the perfect antidote to Spain's current malaise and crippling unemployment.

In this context, the film makes perfect sense. Retreating to a genre he invented and then transcended proves that Almodovar's timing is impeccable. He has nothing to prove. When the going gets tough you party like it's 1999... don't worry, be happy. We can self-medicate with sex, drugs and mo-town. It's a recurring theme in his work and an apt application in I'm So Excited.

Watching this film made me want to go back and revisit his earlier work and the reasons I fell in love with new Spanish cinema. It's not original, not evolutionary, and given my rising expectations each time I see a new Almodovar, probably a letdown.

I always leave an Almodovar movie with a smile on my face, albeit somewhat more muted for this film than for his other work. Compared to what's out there, this is a very good film... but it's a detour not a a step forward.
lasttimeisawMay 6, 2014
Almodóvar’s latest offering after his posh genre thriller THE SKIN I LIVE IN (2011, 7/10) is an outré farce which is evocative of his earlier output in the 80s, almost exclusively restrained inside a plane, more specifically, the cockpit andAlmodóvar’s latest offering after his posh genre thriller THE SKIN I LIVE IN (2011, 7/10) is an outré farce which is evocative of his earlier output in the 80s, almost exclusively restrained inside a plane, more specifically, the cockpit and the business cabin, I’M SO EXCITED! is a hilarious parody of AIRPLANE! (1980, 6/10). We all know economy is depressing and life is governed by austerity measures in Spain nowadays, so it wouldn’t be a more opportune time for a screwball comedy to satirise the circumstances and offer its audience tons of fun, Almodóvar is a dab hand to achieve this mission, the film not only potently leads us to break away from the grim reality for 90 minutes, but also conducts its cunning metaphors for the aftertaste if one is familiar with the social contexts in Spain.

read rest of the review on my blog, google cinema omnivore.