7.0

1. ChadS.
    Jul 3, 2006
    "Imaginary Heroes" is "Ordinary People" with a different brittle, unloving parent, but solid acting trumps originality in this case. In the Robert Redford film, you could imagine that Mary Tyler Moore's character was on valium; here, the subject of drug use is decidedly more blunt. Sigourney Weaver's episode with pot matches Patricia Clarkson's in "Pieces of April" for "Imaginary Heroes" is "Ordinary People" with a different brittle, unloving parent, but solid acting trumps originality in this case. In the Robert Redford film, you could imagine that Mary Tyler Moore's character was on valium; here, the subject of drug use is decidedly more blunt. Sigourney Weaver's episode with pot matches Patricia Clarkson's in "Pieces of April" for laughs. It's a comic highlight along with a priceless self-criticism about minorities and tokenism late in the film. And that's the film's saving grace. It's not a total bummer. "Imaginary Heroes" needs a reevaluation. Collapse
  2. JoshL.
    Dec 29, 2005
    I'm amazed at the truly vicious detractors of this movie; I throughly enjoyed it, largely from the great direction, brilliant acting from Weaver, Hirsch, and Daniels, and the engaging story that really compelled me to keep watching. It made me laugh and think and I think a movie that accomplishes that as well as 'Imaginary Heroes' did deserves to be advocated.
  3. TonyB.
    Dec 28, 2005
    This is an exceptionally well-acted film, but Emile Hirsch is in danger of being type cast. If you've seen some of his other work, you probably know what I mean. The plot about yet another dysfunctional upper middle class suburban family has more subplots than it can handle and so never really fully realizes any of them.
  4. MichaelB.
    Jul 30, 2005
    A refreshingly honest film that doesn't shirk from some of the brutalities of family life. Sigourney Weaver excels in her role as the mother/wife.
  5. RoyT.
    Jul 19, 2005
    Slow, drowsy, horrible theme, weird, awkward and very depressing BUT great acting, empathic characters, unique type of comedy and drama, really deep, so in a way a good movie worth your while.
  6. JeffL
    Jun 13, 2005
    The human emotion and characterization are very well done. The story is unique and always entertaining.
  7. BeauM.
    Mar 30, 2005
    How some of you are dissing this movie is just a testament to how people are unable to recognize good efforts. This was a wonderful movie...not a perfect one, mind you, but this was a fantastic effort with great performances and an excellent script. I fully intend on watching it again in theaters, and possibly even buying it on DVD.
  8. MarcD.
    Feb 20, 2005
    No doubt, there are many cliches in this one, but there's just enough genuine human emotion to make it worth it. I still don't think that Hirsch has the skills to pull off his character, but Sigourney Weaver more than makes up for it. What a great actress she is.
  9. SarahC.
    Feb 18, 2005
    This movie is just so bad it's hard to describe!!! It is guilty of having contempt for the audience. It thinks we are so naive and dumb that all of these unlikely events and cartoony characters will milk sympathy and tears. But instead, all it got from my audience was bunches of sighs and yawns and people walking out early. I regret staying!
  10. MarilynJ
    Feb 11, 2005
    There is so much melodrama and unrealistic events crammed into two hours, it is almost like a parody of a good drama. i think the only reason we did not see spousal abuse and rape tackled is because they ran out of time. it feels like the filmmakers are holding up a big sign begging for an oscar. thankfully even with miss weaver's casting, i do not think anyone is listening.
    Feb 9, 2005
    Fantastic script.
  12. JohnK.
    Jan 26, 2005
    Well it sucks if MH couldnt relate to it but that doesn't mean it's a bad movie. I thought I was watching a portal into my own life -- I was riveted. Great movie if you care about examining the roots of unhappiness and depression in dysfunctional families.
  13. MH
    Jan 23, 2005
    A really awful movie becuase it never made a case for why I should care about some upper middle class white family and how depressed and wretched they are.

1. A sharply observed tragicomedy that draws laughter as genuinely as it coaxes tears, the nicely paced film tempers its themes of loss and sorrow with a cynically witty edge and is graced by a perfectly pitched Sigourney Weaver performance.
  2. Reviewed by: David Rooney
    The film sways awkwardly back and forth between prickly humor and pathos, rarely ringing true in either register.
  3. Reviewed by: Meredith Brody
    The stand-up performance is still that of the mom--Sigourney Weaver, making the most of the meatiest part she's had in years