6.0

1. Jul 29, 2014
    "The Immortals" merely delivers some stunning visuals and nothing more. With an unintelligent screenwriting and a mediocre direction, even an initially impressive dark and mature tone cannot save the film from being torn apart by its unacceptable weaknesses.
  2. Jan 28, 2013
    Skimming the user reviews, I noticed more consensus than usual with "Immortals." Most reviewers seemed to agree that the film features stunning visuals with weak storytelling; what they disagreed about was the relative value of these qualities. Those handing out eights and nines tended to assert (or imply) that strong storytelling was unnecessary--possibly even detrimental--to an actionSkimming the user reviews, I noticed more consensus than usual with "Immortals." Most reviewers seemed to agree that the film features stunning visuals with weak storytelling; what they disagreed about was the relative value of these qualities. Those handing out eights and nines tended to assert (or imply) that strong storytelling was unnecessary--possibly even detrimental--to an action film. Some claimed that criticizing the script was exposing shameful ignorance of what makes an action movie great: spectacle, gory spectacle, and really gory spectacle. Red-zone reviewers, on the other hand, claimed spectacle was enhanced by strong storytelling--or even, in some cases, dependent upon it. My rating identifies me as one of this latter group--though perhaps not as adamant as some. In part because I'm so charmed by the enthusiasm of green-zone reviewers ("more awesome than Zeus and Chuck Norris fighting to the death on a cloud of Ferraris"), I have genuinely tried to understand how good storytelling could be irrelevant to--or, more puzzling, could detract from--the visual and visceral thrills of a great action movie, but my own viewing experience seems to prove the opposite. I simply can't think of a single action film that I would call great--or even good--despite weak storytelling. Which brings me to the truly inexcusable fault in "Immortals," which is that, in the character of Theseus, the filmmakers have strong storytelling already in hand. Through plays, poetry, and prose, modern filmmakers have inherited an array of fabulous stories about the gods, demigods, mortals, and other creatures of Greek mythology. Especially the great warrior-king! So why don't they use them? This is not pedantry; it's genuine bafflement about why filmmakers would ignore rich, dramatic, coherent stories, all thousands of years beyond the reach of copyright, in favor of thin, sketchy, incoherent assemblages that, to add insult, they have to pay for. I'm waiting for someone with Tarsem Singh's visual genius to tackle, say, THE BACCHAE, using Euripides's script. THAT would be more awesome than Zeus, Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, and Sol Invictus fighting after death--and after a feast of nectar, ambrosia, and soma in Valhalla--on a cloud of Lamborghinis and Aston Martins! Expand
  3. Dec 7, 2012
    All style, but no substance. I really like Tarsem's visual vision for his films, but Immortals made absolutely no sense. The plot was jumbled, making the action awkward and ineffective. Disappointing.
  4. Nov 9, 2012
    The main story is the worst part of this film. This includes the predictable character arc, the forced romance, and the spotty acting. Mickey Rourke makes his villain as interesting and memorable as the hats he wears. The whole movie looks great, but it's a turd covered in glitter.
  5. May 5, 2012
    Very poor performances, this important detail was ignored by management. very messy sound track, a story that exhausted so worn that this, in itself, the story has no validity mythological as personification the characters in a very unwise, especially the Titans. good: photography and visual effects.
  6. Apr 2, 2012
    This movie was recommended by a good friend, after having watched it i know that he was wrong. A movie without emotion and feelings. The story is one we've seen many times before, there's noting new and everything ends as you think it will. And the most important: a lot of things happen for no reason, like in most of the movies we see nowadays.
  7. Mar 8, 2012
    Acting is very disapointing, The script is incredibly corny and honestly is a little bit funny towards the end of the film because its that bad, Action scenes were good but lacked originality (think the slow-mo action scenes from 300). Their re-imagining of the gods didnt sit well for me at all. Overall, Its just another film trying to re-capture what 300 had and it fails to do so (FYI -Acting is very disapointing, The script is incredibly corny and honestly is a little bit funny towards the end of the film because its that bad, Action scenes were good but lacked originality (think the slow-mo action scenes from 300). Their re-imagining of the gods didnt sit well for me at all. Overall, Its just another film trying to re-capture what 300 had and it fails to do so (FYI - it was produced by the producers of 300), Just another disapointing action film imo. Expand
  8. Mar 7, 2012
    Let me begin by saying that I love "300", a film that has style, substance, plot, decent acting and engaging dialogue. Immortals has none of these. it is without a doubt the worst film that I have seen in many years. So bad that I have got off my lazy ass to sign up to this site to say just how bad it is...
    If you can only resist buying one thing that you really want this year then make damned certain that this is it!

This film is a terrible waste of the material offered up by the original Greek mythology and could be a potential career killer for many of those unfortunate enough to be involved in it.
    The plot is a collection of ticks placed in boxes on a producers must have marketing list. Everything just happens because it must in order to fulfil this cliched criteria...
    Theseus must have a best friend, enter one cheesy Yankee(George Bush Jr could have done no worse in the role than this guy did) who with one terrible line of dialect becomes just that.
    The virgin Oracle soon becomes the ex-virgin Oracle after shedding her robes for a man she has only just met(Mr Producer picks up his pen and places a confident mark in the box for "Intimate relationship and romance"...).
    The sets range from bland brown rocky areas to more bland brown rocky areas with a couple of uninspiring and over used locals thrown in amongst these bland brown rocky areas. In 300 this was not an issue, they were holding one narrow pass against their foes for most of the film. In Immortals the whole of Greece has suffered an unfortunate makeover that would kill there tourist industry(and economy) overnight if it were real. Maybe the lead special effects designer has worked in the game industry, maybe on some post apocalyptic FPS as that is the grim vision of Greece that we are presented with here...
    The icing on this turd cake comes from the costume design, in particular that of the Gods. Camp shiny efforts for most of the film topped off by super camp yellow outfits for the finale. So camp that you would still stop and stare even if they were walking down Canal Street of Manchester in the middle of mardi gras weekend(ps: the street sign said something rather different for many years due to the unfortunate removal of the letters C and S...).
  9. Feb 13, 2012
    Haha. What the **** Just simply, what the **** Don't get decieved by the posters ladies and gentlemen. Tarsem Singh's "Immortals" isn't exactly like "300", although it tries to be with it's rich visuals. It can never be like "300" because of the crappiest Greek God script I've seen in YEARS. What kind of ****ing story flushes down characters like **** and adds fight scenes every 5 seconds?Haha. What the **** Just simply, what the **** Don't get decieved by the posters ladies and gentlemen. Tarsem Singh's "Immortals" isn't exactly like "300", although it tries to be with it's rich visuals. It can never be like "300" because of the crappiest Greek God script I've seen in YEARS. What kind of ****ing story flushes down characters like **** and adds fight scenes every 5 seconds? Haha, the movie gave me a good laugh though. Expand
  10. Jan 10, 2012
    Had high expectations! Set myself up for disappointment. Never again will I get hopes up for another film because of this one. It spoiled my appetite. I'll remain neutral from now on...no matter how HYPED trailers look better than movie. Dry slow to a crawl direction and acting. Only one spectacular scene with Zeus fight
  11. Dec 9, 2011
    Not a bad movie, but not good either. Full of cliche scenes and hillarious costumes, also the 3D effect wasn't the best (even commercials before the actual movie were way better). Let me just say that I had never fallen asleep (twice!) on an action movie before this one. Deffo worse than Clash of the Titans.
  12. Dec 6, 2011
    I'm giving this a ONE instead of a ZERO for the great casting for the gods and their costume designers, who did a terrific job making each one identifiable, and the set designers, who made the top of Mt. Olympus look breathtakingly serene. Too bad the god's actions and fighting scenes weren't godly enough.

I think this will be one of those films that would have been more interesting if Henry Cavill and Freida Pinto's characters never appeared.
  13. Dec 3, 2011
    Sincerely, this movie is simply disgusting. Top contender for: most fake sunsets (really bad lighting of the sets), ridiculous and over the top costumes (mask of Minotaur?), silly story (why Perseus is in that story at all, if story resolution does not depend on him?), bad acting and zombie like titans (really, is that 28 Days Later?).
  14. Nov 30, 2011
    Immortals is what can only be described as a mess. The acting is poor, the plot is thin, dull and poorly executed and the script is the worst I have ever encountered in a profesional film. Even the films one the redeeming feature - the action - is often flat and dull. There are only two good things in this film. The first is the action scenes involving the gods which are exciting,Immortals is what can only be described as a mess. The acting is poor, the plot is thin, dull and poorly executed and the script is the worst I have ever encountered in a profesional film. Even the films one the redeeming feature - the action - is often flat and dull. There are only two good things in this film. The first is the action scenes involving the gods which are exciting, dramatic, fast moving and satisfyingly gory but far far too brief. The second is the performance of Mickey Rourke as the evil king Hyperion who is easily the best actor in the whole debacle. The main con is the acting ability of all the other actors which makes a plank of wood look like Laurence Olivier. Theseus is played by the typical good looking guy who clearly feels that muscles are a fitting substitute for performance and John Hurt, who is a generally a very good actor, is woefully misused. It is difficult to point out a single actor who acted in any way which didn't seem forced and unreal. However, this may not be their fault as the characters are given the depth of a thimble of water by the script and I imagine it must be hard to work well with a script that is so badly written that it would embarrass a ten year old. Several times, throughout some of the "profound" speeches the characters gave I actually got goosebumps, not because it was such a poweful use of the English language but, because it was so cheesy that it made my skin crawl. This similarly applies to the sex scene which was so completely random and seemed shoe-horned into the film just because every film should have romance. This brings me to the plot which was so predictable that you didn't need to be Nostradamus to stay 3 steps ahead of it. It really does seem like like the creator picked up "Ancient Greece for Pre-School" at a book sale, scavenged some names from it and mushed them all together rather than having any clue about what they are famous for (Eg: Since when was Theseus a bastard? and wasn't Hyperion actually a Titan himself?) but lets just skip over my gripes as to how the film was unrelated to Greek mythology in almost every way as to most readers that will be rather boring. The final nail in the coffin was that the battle scenes, with the exception of those previously mentioned, seemed rather unoriginal, flat, and, dare I say it, boring. Never have I been less interested in the clash of two great armies. Similarly the pre battles speeches had none of the badass attitude or brevity of "Tonight We Dine In Hell" and none of the epic grandeur of the speeches in Lord Of The Rings', instead they just sort of fizzled out in banal nonsense. If I, sat safely in my cinema seat, thought that the supposedly rousing speech was terrible and that the person giving it had the charisma of plague victim then how can we be honestly expected to believe that it could inspire men to charge into almost certain death? Quite simply this film was terrible and I would honestly encourage you not to waste your money and if you really must watch it then buy it cheaply from a bargain bin. Expand
  15. Nov 30, 2011
    Whoever doesnt know or ever read greek mythology this movie has some action elements to be liked.

But for those you know about greek mythology they will agree that this wasnt a greek mythological fantasy action movie... it was an ancient greek tragedy. Faults of this movie are so many and obvious it made me laugh. In a bad way. Where should i start... Bad story , cheesy dialogues ,

Bad story , cheesy dialogues , unnecessary gore , ridiculous costumes, missing gods ( from 12 there were 6 ) , Titans looked like they are some kind of wilds from amazon , Greek name "darios"!! which is a persian name.... I can go on till tommorow but i dont want to spoil anything ( did you know Black sea was full of oil ? ).
    Bad scenario, cheap production,nothing sticked to original greek mythology , bad acting at times ... All felt BAD.

3/10 MAX
  16. Nov 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One word : mediocre, the word says it all, this movie is bad from the beginning to the end, the characters are flat, the sex scene is completely useless, the gods looks like idiots with their golden suit, the story could have been interesting but is very poorly developed (all the hype around the Hyperion bow(something like that) is never exploited ), the fight of the gods against the titans is just ridiculous because they are only some sort of fast moving martial art practitioners and I expected them to have some sort of powers like Zeus shooting lightning bolts or Poseidon using water but no it doesn`t happen. Overall, this is just a bad movie, too much focused on blood scenes and not enough on the rest, it had potential but it`s only a ridiculously bad version of God of War. Expand
  17. Nov 27, 2011
    It was decent nothing to special about it boring at times but terrible story telling a few scenes of true exciting action but I think 300 was way better in content and script writing.
  18. Nov 18, 2011
    It's definitely cool looking, but sometimes that's just not good enough. The acting and the action scenes were both patchy, the plot was ridiculous to the point of unintentionally funny, the 3D was weirdly flat, and easily 2/3 of the scenes could have been cut without the movie losing anything. Though I had to add a point for Mickey Rourke, who was awesome.
  19. Nov 17, 2011
    It's obvious that the filmakers behind this film were far more interested in the visual effects and the set pieces because somewhere along the way they forgot that they actually needed to tell a story here. The visuals are striking: the scenery is quite beautiful, the action well choreographed, even the acting was solid but everything else (everything that mattered) is just awful. TheIt's obvious that the filmakers behind this film were far more interested in the visual effects and the set pieces because somewhere along the way they forgot that they actually needed to tell a story here. The visuals are striking: the scenery is quite beautiful, the action well choreographed, even the acting was solid but everything else (everything that mattered) is just awful. The characters have absolutely no depth and lack chemistry; Henry Cavill is just required to look heroic and handsome because his character is pretty much the same as Sam Worthington's Perseus from Clash of the Titans. Titans may have been a bad film but at the least the plot was coherent enough unlike Immortals where the filmakers decide that they (needlessly) have to have Poseidon send a giant wave in to help the heroes fend off about 6 soldiers when Theseus himself killed at least that single handedly earlier in the film. It's just misplaced and silly; much like an unneccessary love scene that just came out of nowhere. It's misjudged and doesnt make much sense. Nothing really to recommend here. Expand
  20. Nov 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A rather mundane way to waste a couple of hours. This film reeks of average content, average scripting and (mostly) average acting. That's not to say it's bad, it's not not good in any real way. Certainly the action scenes (which we all are watching it for, lets face it) can be quite good, but those that are are unfulfilling in their length. A great deal has been said about Immortals comparison to 300, well of that film it falls far short, but the lineage of this bastard son is notable in the attempt at the slow motion visceral combat scenes. Yet somehow director Singh has managed to take all the slickness and clarity out of these scenes. In the predictable final battle, after a rather lacklustre pep-talk by main character Theseus, the melee is so confusion and the colours so drab that its very difficult to see exactly what is going on and whose doing what. Not that you'd care much; the characters of this film are all pretty mundane and without intrigue, popping off a couple of cliched lines occasionally and then dying appropriately as the drama demands. You have Theseus, the main protagonist who has a rather worrying relationship with his mother and that's about all there is to distinguish him. He blathers a bit about faith and the lack of faith (a running theme), but it's so irrelevant to the overall plot you can pretty much disregard it. There's Phaedra, the virgin oracle who doesn't remain so very long (here the film is similar to 300 in its gratuitous and pointless sex scene, although not as funny as 300). Then there's, for me, the one true highlight of the film, the "evil" king Hyperion, played by Mickey Rourke. Rourke is by far the strongest character of the film and I actually found myself rooting for him more and more; he had a game plan, set morals and didn't seem like a piece of wet tissue paper like a lot of the other characters. I genuinely hoped he would win in the end (he didn't, this is Hollywood after all). Another stronger point is the battle sequences of the gods, which are fast and viceral, though too short to be really satisfying. Watching what one of them splatter bad guy head with a hammer in slow motion was pretty fun. But tragically that's about it, the greek gods, who are dressed in bizarre garish gold costumes something akin to a French perfum advert, are pretty anonymous - the only way to tell Poseidon appart from Zeus is that he's holding a trident. I'm sore pressed to say who the other two gods were, possibly Apollo? Maybe Helios? Perhaps Whocares, god of weak character development? Athena, who is actually named, seems a bit of bimbo and quite pathetic, rather than the strong willed, stubborn goddess of wisdom and war she's meant to be. But, like all other characters in this film, even the gods are just there as padding until their dramatic deaths (I did tick the "spoiler" box). Of course only a Titan (whom Hyperion is attempting to free to bring about a new world order or something....) can do it. I bet they're massive! I hear you cry. Well no, they're not titanic, ahem, they're more like the savages from the Decent and plastered in grey mud, then they die like Hollywood vampires by crumbling into dust, much like my interest at this point. All that isn't bad, it's just not good, it's weak but its palatable. It's average but its not terrible. What's really bad about the film is little irritating stupidities that make no sense whatsoever. It might just be me, but Phaedra drinking from pool of water in the least efficient way possible (holding her hand vertically so that no water is actually retained) and then dribbling water from her own lips into Theseus' was just ridiculous. The misuse of actors like John Hurt who had so much more potential. The random sea of oil that has no function to the plot whatsoever. The knife wound that Theseus receives in the end but doesn't stop him - at least Maximus in Gladiator had the good grace to die after such a wound. The village that is undefendable despite the fact that its only obvious entrance is a narrow corridor cut into the stone of the cliffs themselves - as we all know, small narrow corridors are totally undefensible unless manned by half naked Greeks... oh wait. These things and others just pander to ridiculous pointless features that are there as padding for an empty film with barely enough strength of character to stand up on its own. I suspect the lifetime of this film is slightly less than its title puports.

P.S. I really do wish Hyperion had won in the end, at least I felt like he had put the hard work in.
  21. Nov 13, 2011
    Immortals is just another one of those, loud, noisy, thinly written, and overproduced movie that is just sloppily made and poorly acted. And also, the movie makes sev
  22. Nov 12, 2011
    This isn't so much a movie as a vehicle for sleek visuals. The plot was anemic and the characters laughably flat. Visually, it picks up where 300 left off, but adds in some epic (and beautiful) landscape shots to go with the truly visceral battle scenes. If you're looking for blood spatter in HD, this is your flick, but overall, the cardboard characters, imbecilic plot, and absurd;yThis isn't so much a movie as a vehicle for sleek visuals. The plot was anemic and the characters laughably flat. Visually, it picks up where 300 left off, but adds in some epic (and beautiful) landscape shots to go with the truly visceral battle scenes. If you're looking for blood spatter in HD, this is your flick, but overall, the cardboard characters, imbecilic plot, and absurd;y self-important voices overs are just to bad to make this move enjoyable. This movie falls far below "300," which at least had the good sense to let itself be fun. Expand
  23. Nov 12, 2011
    Mediocrity at its finest. Let's call this the poor man's 300. Nothing about this was exceptional at all. It started pretty solid, but faded as it went along. There wasn't a single stand-out moment in this film for me. The acting was mediocre, the characters were all very one dimensional (I didn't care for any of the characters) and poorly developed characters like the monk (yes he isMediocrity at its finest. Let's call this the poor man's 300. Nothing about this was exceptional at all. It started pretty solid, but faded as it went along. There wasn't a single stand-out moment in this film for me. The acting was mediocre, the characters were all very one dimensional (I didn't care for any of the characters) and poorly developed characters like the monk (yes he is literally just called "the monk") serve quite literally no purpose in this film. Even the action, the true focus of the film wasn't up to scratch. Apart from the battle with the gods (which looked awesome, but wasn't enough of it), none of the battles caught my eye. Infact, there was one point in the film where I fell asleep momentarily due to sheer boredom, which has only ever happened to me in one other film (funnily enough, it was Clash of the Titans). Nothing about this film is great or even good. Literally everything is either "meh" or just plain bad. If you want to see the film and develop your own view of it then by all means be my guest because you may enjoy it, but I didn't. One final word of advice: Do NOT waste your money on the 3D. Go 2D or not at all. Expand
  24. Nov 12, 2011
    A mortal movie... won't be remembered. Mediocre acting, mediocre story, a sex scene completely unnecessary, not so great special effects... and boring the first part.

1. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Nov 16, 2011
    The Greek myths, of course, will endure. The same cannot be said for Singh's silly, self-serious, instantly forgettable, and inaptly named Immortals.
  2. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Nov 13, 2011
    The film is as faithful to Greek mythology as Thor is to tales of the Norse Gods, but it ultimately doesn't matter. Tarsem's goal is to give viewers an experience a little different from the norm and, to that end, he succeeds. The "wow!" factor is in full evidence.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark Jenkins
    Nov 12, 2011
    The movie's self-importance is further inflated by the usual pseudo-Wagnerian score and occasional narration by John Hurt.