Fox Searchlight Pictures | Release Date: November 26, 2003
8.7
Universal acclaim based on 66 Ratings
WATCH NOW
WAKOJAKOJan 8, 2004
Rather farfetched and manipulative--I so much wanted to like this film, but after the first of many hard-to-believe instances, it just dissolved into the sappy, Hollywoodized soap-opera it is. Pady Considine delivers a fine performance, though.
BillR.Apr 3, 2004
If Jim Sheridan's In the Name of the Father is the dramatic equivalent of a strong yell, and his The Boxer, a respectably muted shout, then In America is the equivalent of a whimper from this director, playing out mostly limp, If Jim Sheridan's In the Name of the Father is the dramatic equivalent of a strong yell, and his The Boxer, a respectably muted shout, then In America is the equivalent of a whimper from this director, playing out mostly limp, stultified, nearly anonymous.....that is, apart from the odd scene like the aspiring rapper in Johnny's ride, or our yuppie lovers making out to what sounds like the opening credit music from The Insider. To be fair, Sam Morton does manage to wring a very good performance from such obvious maudlin material (take notes, Ruby Zellweger), but that barely matters when in a film this low on characters (or character), she's curiously wasted. The entire integration of Djimon Hounsou - what's that all about? If the tykes in this picture could be any more Precocious (puke), I swear they'd be googly-eyed. Come on, Sheridan - even if you can make it somewhat watchable as opposed to say, Ron Howard, I *know* you're far above this Cinema Paradiso/Hallmark card award-baiting. Expand
MarvinL.Dec 4, 2003
Say goodbye to Frankie? You've gotta be kidding me. Two hours of unrelenting sap, dished out by good actors with cool accents (maybe that's why critics dig it).
CurtisN.Feb 29, 2004
This movie was not my cup of tea. Too slow and hard to believe events. The best thing about this movie was the singing of Desperado by Sarah Bolger(Christy). Yet it isn't even on the movie's soundtrack.