In America

8.7

1. WAKOJAKO
    Jan 8, 2004
    Rather farfetched and manipulative--I so much wanted to like this film, but after the first of many hard-to-believe instances, it just dissolved into the sappy, Hollywoodized soap-opera it is. Pady Considine delivers a fine performance, though.
  2. BillR.
    Apr 3, 2004
    If Jim Sheridan's In the Name of the Father is the dramatic equivalent of a strong yell, and his The Boxer, a respectably muted shout, then In America is the equivalent of a whimper from this director, playing out mostly limp, stultified, nearly anonymous.....that is, apart from the odd scene like the aspiring rapper in Johnny's ride, or our yuppie lovers making out to what If Jim Sheridan's In the Name of the Father is the dramatic equivalent of a strong yell, and his The Boxer, a respectably muted shout, then In America is the equivalent of a whimper from this director, playing out mostly limp, stultified, nearly anonymous.....that is, apart from the odd scene like the aspiring rapper in Johnny's ride, or our yuppie lovers making out to what sounds like the opening credit music from The Insider. To be fair, Sam Morton does manage to wring a very good performance from such obvious maudlin material (take notes, Ruby Zellweger), but that barely matters when in a film this low on characters (or character), she's curiously wasted. The entire integration of Djimon Hounsou - what's that all about? If the tykes in this picture could be any more Precocious (puke), I swear they'd be googly-eyed. Come on, Sheridan - even if you can make it somewhat watchable as opposed to say, Ron Howard, I *know* you're far above this Cinema Paradiso/Hallmark card award-baiting. Collapse
  3. MarvinL.
    Dec 4, 2003
    Say goodbye to Frankie? You've gotta be kidding me. Two hours of unrelenting sap, dished out by good actors with cool accents (maybe that's why critics dig it).
  4. CurtisN.
    Feb 29, 2004
    This movie was not my cup of tea. Too slow and hard to believe events. The best thing about this movie was the singing of Desperado by Sarah Bolger(Christy). Yet it isn't even on the movie's soundtrack.

Definitely designed to tug on its audience's heartstrings, a task at which it completely succeeds, In America is ultimately a solid, if unspectacular family film.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Warm and borderline sentimental...also brimming with true and privileged moments, as well as an optimism in the face of tough circumstances that serves as a corrective to some of the more fashionably grim modern accounts of similar stories.
  3. The New Yorker
    Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    In short, the Sheridan of In America wants us to pity his characters for the rough ride that they endure, yet at the same time he traps them inside a bubble of the picturesque and the outlandish. Even if you like this movie, you have to ask: What has it done to deserve its title? [1 December 2003, p. 118]