Focus Features | Release Date: February 8, 2008
8.7
Universal acclaim based on 410 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SunilBFeb 11, 2008
I found this movie to be mediocre. The plot was decent, but the movie was quite slow-paced and dragging along at time. Colin acted quite well in it though the whole thing about ragging on Bruges just didn't make any sense. The humor was I found this movie to be mediocre. The plot was decent, but the movie was quite slow-paced and dragging along at time. Colin acted quite well in it though the whole thing about ragging on Bruges just didn't make any sense. The humor was no ha-ha, from my perspective, but a chuckle here and there. All in all, I would recommend waiting for a DVD on this one. Expand
1 of 5 users found this helpful
BryanM.Mar 26, 2008
While darkly humorous at times, the movie never quite lifted off the ground for me. Odd, bloody, and drawn out. A much different film than it's trailers portray.
JayH.Jun 20, 2008
Not quite the action packed movie the cover box describes, but it is a good dark comedy/drama. The cast is very good, but the slow pace gets tedious at times. Good location filming.
DougN.Apr 13, 2008
I wasn't really impressed by this film. Who could identify with any of the characters? The "action" is somewhat formulaic. The story line isn't that interesting. The best part is Bruges, the city itself.
oxanaAug 25, 2014
I'm quite certain my review for this movie will improve slightly after I get to see it with English subtitles - without them, the strongly accented and quick manner of speaking is at times very hard to follow for a non-English viewer like me.I'm quite certain my review for this movie will improve slightly after I get to see it with English subtitles - without them, the strongly accented and quick manner of speaking is at times very hard to follow for a non-English viewer like me.

It is nice to see Colin Farrell speaking as he normally does, once again. Not that I hate the honed English with less "Irish" in it, but it brought a lot into his character in this particular movie.

There's some funny parts, and others that have you shaking your head; some gangster action, raw images and bloody scenes. Altogether, though, "In Bruges" is hardly the film it could be.

The characters were not as well drawn as they could be. Sure, we learned each of their main characteristics, but more may have been appropriate. The plot jumped into motion from the start, and made me wonder for a while: "What kind of movie was I expecting to see?" This hardly was one to meet my expectations.
MrMovieBuffFeb 23, 2017
'In Bruges' is a deliberately paced, slow-burning, and at times, uninteresting comedy. Filled with characters that I did not seem to care for, and a plot that made the film feel at least two times longer than it should have. Colin Farrell'In Bruges' is a deliberately paced, slow-burning, and at times, uninteresting comedy. Filled with characters that I did not seem to care for, and a plot that made the film feel at least two times longer than it should have. Colin Farrell plays an Irish hitman named Ray, whose order was to originally kill a priest, but he accidentally killed a young boy while during his task. He, and his mentor, Ken (Brendan Gleeson) are sent to Bruges to wait for their next task and instructions. Ken seems to love the city and plans to go sightseeing, but Ray feels indifferent, and at times, is very cynical about the whole thing. Their employer, Harry (Ralph Fiennes) is furious and wants Ken to kill Ray, after coming to the conclusion that Ray killing a child is unforgivable. The movie, directed by Martin McDonagh, has its fair share of some well-thought out scenes, and is crafted the best that it can. However, I found myself to be uninterested in any of the characters and/or events that occur throughout this film. It got very little laughs from me. Colin Farrell is excellent as the sometimes nervous character, Ray, and he shares some excellent screen-time with his co-star, Brendan Gleeson, but ultimately, these great performances weren't enough to keep me invested. It's a mechanical and manufactured comedy, filled with some uplift, but the run-time drags and things escalate towards the third act, but it was too late for me, as whatever interest I had in the movie, was already gone. An admirable effort, but it could have been better. Expand
boguesswhatApr 4, 2017
In Bruges is the epitome of a film you accidentally stumble upon on a network channel you butt-dial on your remote that you haven't found in weeks. The good parts of this movie were Colin Farrell and that's about it... Absolutely nothingIn Bruges is the epitome of a film you accidentally stumble upon on a network channel you butt-dial on your remote that you haven't found in weeks. The good parts of this movie were Colin Farrell and that's about it... Absolutely nothing spoke out to me or surprised me. As a film producer, it should be your goal to surprise the audience with a great movie. In Bruges did just that; it surprised me by how boring it was. Expand