Focus Features | Release Date: February 8, 2008
8.8
Universal acclaim based on 398 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SpangleJan 23, 2014
Colin Farrell was absolutely fantastic in this great blend of black comedy and crime/thriller. Truly gut wrenching and heartfelt, this one was a great watch. Riveting and engrossing from the get go, it really pulls you in and makes youColin Farrell was absolutely fantastic in this great blend of black comedy and crime/thriller. Truly gut wrenching and heartfelt, this one was a great watch. Riveting and engrossing from the get go, it really pulls you in and makes you invested in the characters quickly. I came into this expecting it to be a bit like Snatch in the way it was done and since I did not care for that one, I was afraid, but I am glad I watched it anyways, because it wasn't like that at all. Really good film. Expand
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
"In Bruges" is a dark, sardonic, and intriguing dramedy, featuring excellent performances from its three top-billed actors.
beingryanjudeSep 3, 2014
A clever look into the lives of hitmen... in Bruges! Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson are both funny and convincing. In Bruges is black comedy gold. Another hit for Martin McDonagh.
grandpajoe6191Oct 15, 2011
Colin Farrell throws in a unforgettably arrogant but funny performance with great support from Brendan Gleeson in the sly but direct black-comedy "In Bruges". Its a must watch for those who ponder about the meaning of life.
TokyochuchuDec 2, 2012
In Bruges is a phenomenal film. It's unbelievably funny, smart, touching and exciting. Basically speaking, this movie is possibly the best British gangster movie ever made... Oh and Bruges is beautifully shot, too.
oxanaAug 25, 2014
I'm quite certain my review for this movie will improve slightly after I get to see it with English subtitles - without them, the strongly accented and quick manner of speaking is at times very hard to follow for a non-English viewer like me.I'm quite certain my review for this movie will improve slightly after I get to see it with English subtitles - without them, the strongly accented and quick manner of speaking is at times very hard to follow for a non-English viewer like me.

It is nice to see Colin Farrell speaking as he normally does, once again. Not that I hate the honed English with less "Irish" in it, but it brought a lot into his character in this particular movie.

There's some funny parts, and others that have you shaking your head; some gangster action, raw images and bloody scenes. Altogether, though, "In Bruges" is hardly the film it could be.

The characters were not as well drawn as they could be. Sure, we learned each of their main characteristics, but more may have been appropriate. The plot jumped into motion from the start, and made me wonder for a while: "What kind of movie was I expecting to see?" This hardly was one to meet my expectations.
FranzHcriticJul 1, 2014
A gleefully dark and morbid comedy with spectacular trio Ralph Fiennes, Brendan Gleeson, and Colin Farrell, who gives perhaps his most complicated performance to date, as a guilt-ridden assassin trying to reason with his actions, Ken as theA gleefully dark and morbid comedy with spectacular trio Ralph Fiennes, Brendan Gleeson, and Colin Farrell, who gives perhaps his most complicated performance to date, as a guilt-ridden assassin trying to reason with his actions, Ken as the calm mentor comforting him, and Harry, their psychotic boss with contradicting morals. It's sad, funny, and meaningful. Hell, it's close to 'Fargo' Expand
choomtabi31Apr 11, 2016
this is a superb film,Colin Farrel is hilarious,lol funny,well written,and directed,a must see,in my opinion.

Watch it here for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-384-In-Bruges-online-free
StevenFJul 11, 2013
In Bruges tackles all the issues that a typical comedy offers, an out if the comfort zone setting, an unlikely alliance, romance and of course thrills, but it also offers much more with a clever script very dark humour and an unpredictableIn Bruges tackles all the issues that a typical comedy offers, an out if the comfort zone setting, an unlikely alliance, romance and of course thrills, but it also offers much more with a clever script very dark humour and an unpredictable story that keeps on giving.
The Irish duo of powerhouse talents Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson star as two bungling hitmen, Ray and Ken, are sent to Bruges to lay low for a while after a job goes wrong, Ken loves the chance to do all the tourist things, Ray is a more live wire character than his older counterpart, wanting to get right back into jobs. On the phone line is Harry (Ralph Fiennes) who is updating the two on the situation, as he is their employer he keeps them informed for when they can return to England.
The film takes a twisted yet hilarious look at what is right in front of you in an unorthodox way, the humour, when you think it is finished, keeps on rolling out the obscene remarks and jokes. The highlights of the film come from the realistic and situational approach. It offers very different insights into certain film scenarios,such as shoot outs and the typical bad guy. The film turns most of these on their head and offers this perhaps generational approach, like how grown up films should perhaps become.
Brendan Gleeson is quite the calm and relaxed gentle giant of the show, is demeanour counteracts the energetic one of Farrell, whose character continuously spits out his distaste for being in Bruges and how he finds and sees everyrhing in a homosexual manner, the politest way to say it.
In terms of the tone, it never settles for second best, when it wants to tell a very funny joke are put across a hilarious situation, it does so without holding and punches, but when it wants to put a message of despair and emotion, it again delivers the goods without fail, showing the capabilities that Martin McDonagh possesses in story-telling but also reaching out to the audience. Many moment this film will indeed make you laugh in hysterics, but the quieter and closer moments will bring back down to reality.
An excellent and varied film with a taste for all sorts of genres, giving different nods to previous films and also promoting a witty script and some powerful performances.
drlowdonJan 22, 2014
A dark comedy drama a large part of the success of In Bruges can be put down to the witty script and the two central performances from Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson, as well as a cameo from Ralph Fiennes, who manage to keep thingsA dark comedy drama a large part of the success of In Bruges can be put down to the witty script and the two central performances from Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson, as well as a cameo from Ralph Fiennes, who manage to keep things grounded even when events start to take a turn towards the absurd. The wholly original setting only adds to the movie making for an enjoyable watch. Expand
ERG1008Sep 3, 2010
Two hitmen are sent to Bruges to "get out of the way" for a couple of weeks.
It reminded me of a sort Father Ted doing hitmen for the first part of the film then it gets a bit darker.
Some great one liners & good performances all round. Never
Two hitmen are sent to Bruges to "get out of the way" for a couple of weeks.
Some great one liners & good performances all round.
Never been to Bruges but looks absolutely beautiful.
TrilobiteGAug 25, 2015
It's annoying ending is nothing compared to how much a laughed, felt suspense and paced through this wonderful blend of dark comedy and heart pounding action.
Andys_ReviewsDec 24, 2012
There are a lot of comic moments in this film, mainly in the form of the things Ray says and does. Few films make me laugh out loud, but this one did in more than a couple of places. The drama comes mainly in the final third and I found thisThere are a lot of comic moments in this film, mainly in the form of the things Ray says and does. Few films make me laugh out loud, but this one did in more than a couple of places. The drama comes mainly in the final third and I found this put a much darker complexion on the comedic scenes that preceded it. I liked the ending; it seemed quite poetic in a way (sorry, no clues). Over all, a very enjoyable film with some laughs, excellent cinematography and some great performances Expand
moonman1994Jul 26, 2013
In Bruges is a perfect blend of comedy, action and drama. It has moments that are out right hilarious as well as extremely shocking moments. The entire cast is brilliant especially Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes. It's aIn Bruges is a perfect blend of comedy, action and drama. It has moments that are out right hilarious as well as extremely shocking moments. The entire cast is brilliant especially Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes. It's a must see film. Expand
Lambo442Feb 25, 2015
I was told this film had emotionally intensity but it's one of the worst piles of garbage I've ever seen. Colin Farrell's acting is terrible, the plot is cliched, none of the characters except Brendan Gleeson are likeable. The one femaleI was told this film had emotionally intensity but it's one of the worst piles of garbage I've ever seen. Colin Farrell's acting is terrible, the plot is cliched, none of the characters except Brendan Gleeson are likeable. The one female character is incredibly weak and soulless. It seems to think being mean to dwarfs is incredibly funny. In fact the whole film is build around this premise. The worst thing about it though is the fact the lead character shows no remorse whatsoever for what's he's done, so you can't empathise with him or like him at all. It's too ridiculous to give its apparent emotional scenes any tour de force. The dialogue is hammy and Ralph Fiennes it just a walking archetype, Harry the London rudeboy, nasty to his wife, says the F word 5 times in every sentence...zzzzz..it was done in Lock stock and it wasn't funny then. Nothing funny about this word. I use it as much as the next person but it has to have context or it just becomes odd and affected. I don't give zeros often but this film offended me. Expand
python2000Dec 30, 2013
Most black comedies aren't exactly black.
Most black comedies aren't exactly black.
I think this because most of them are funny, but the good jokes aren't exactly black. For example in the mediocre 2013 film The Family all of the jokes that I laughed out loud at were reasonably upbeat or dark but not black. This can be found in many other black (I might start renaming them bleak just for literal accuracy) comedies like Thank You For Smoking, The Men Who Stare At Goats and Fargo.
In Bruges is an exception it has a mix of black and upbeat jokes and all of them are hilarious. Whether there about dwarves, elephants, gay beers or cupboards. Every second is hysterical. But every second is also very exciting, somehow I was even interested when Ray and Ken were discussing who's allowed to shoot themselves. Even classics like The Naked Gun and Office Space get a bit slow moving in places, this doesn't.
That was a great achievement and surprised me, but the most amazing thing about the writing and direction of In Bruges is that somehow Martin McDonagh makes the viewer care about the characters. Colin Farrell is a child murderer and should be one of the least likable little in movie history. Yet somehow I was constantly rooting for him in the last 30 minutes and almost cried when he was talking to his dying partner in crime. Ralph Fiennes character Harry is even worse! And I was almost crying for him too! Hell I was almost crying at the death of a cocaine snorting, prostitute client midget. Never would you expect to find a black comedy about murder and Belgium more emotional than The Green Mile and Marley and Me put together. It totally took me by surprise.
In Bruges is definitely one of my favorite movies of the last decade and extremely entertaining, I strongly recommend it as long as you are prepared for the amazing overuse of the word
talisencrwOct 12, 2014
A great gangster movie and marvelous debut behind the camera for the talented Irish director Martin McDonagh. Heartily recommended, with some of the best acting I have seen yet by Colin Farrell, Ralph Fiennes and Brendan Gleeson.
ReubenIsAGodMay 29, 2014
I absolutely love this film, easily the best crime/comedy/drama ive seen since the sensational "Pulp Fiction", full to the brim with some of the most absurd moments in film that ive ever seen.
its also very #deep

Viper8787May 18, 2014
A really funny dark comedy movie. I didn't know what to expect from this movie when someone recommended it to me and I was really pleased with it. Funny when it needed to be and dark when it needed to be. Acting was really good and the choseA really funny dark comedy movie. I didn't know what to expect from this movie when someone recommended it to me and I was really pleased with it. Funny when it needed to be and dark when it needed to be. Acting was really good and the chose the actors well for there parts. A good ending that kept me satisfied with the movie. Expand
FilmQueenOct 21, 2015
This dark comedy is **** perfect. Few movies actually make me laugh, but this one is one of them. I have already watched it two times and the second time it was even better.The dialogue is hilarious and there is a balance between the dramaThis dark comedy is **** perfect. Few movies actually make me laugh, but this one is one of them. I have already watched it two times and the second time it was even better.The dialogue is hilarious and there is a balance between the drama and the comedy. The message at the end of the film is a meaningful one,I like it,although ambiguous endings piss me of a little bit. I should also mention that Colin Farrell did great job, very good performance. Brendan Gleeson is good as well and Ralph Fiennes is hella scary. Expand
CinemaphileJul 29, 2016
Eire's darkly comedic answer to Pulp Fiction with a dash of contrivance and a nihilistic ending. Worth watching for Farrell's hapless and often violently comedic interactions with his screen mates - and of course the best line of the movieEire's darkly comedic answer to Pulp Fiction with a dash of contrivance and a nihilistic ending. Worth watching for Farrell's hapless and often violently comedic interactions with his screen mates - and of course the best line of the movie involving the demise of John Lennon. Expand
ovi_bzFeb 19, 2011
What a surprising movie! You are getting the impression that almost nothing happen in the first half, but the action increase more and more till the end. A very well played scenario, especially by Brendan Gleeson. The dramatic-comic situationWhat a surprising movie! You are getting the impression that almost nothing happen in the first half, but the action increase more and more till the end. A very well played scenario, especially by Brendan Gleeson. The dramatic-comic situation are were wisely place during the plot. All in all, it is a move it is worth to see. Expand
CharlottePApr 13, 2011
Funny, melancholy film with great performances from Gleeson and an unexpectedly excellent Farrell, whose childlike wonder at the sight of a real midget seemed quite genuine. And Bruges looked like a painting which somehow conveys extremes ofFunny, melancholy film with great performances from Gleeson and an unexpectedly excellent Farrell, whose childlike wonder at the sight of a real midget seemed quite genuine. And Bruges looked like a painting which somehow conveys extremes of temperature. Aside from the slightly ersatz note struck by Ralph Fiennes' character (odd casting that: Fiennes is too posh to be a thug), this was an assured and engaging film. Expand
moslegend34Jun 5, 2015
Ray: 'Ken, I grew up in Dublin. I love Dublin. If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me but I didn't, so it doesn't. '
Colin Farrell's deadpan remarks make for a gritty and at times compelling noir film. Matched up with the wise old head of Brendan Gleeson, the actor uses sarcasm and despondent facial expressions to keep audiences off their seats.
Combine this with some gorgeous scenery, an artfully constructed piano score (similar to the Seven Psychopaths) half timbered backstreets, an existential dwarf, risqué romance as well as a dry and tough performance from the the boss Ralph Fiennes and you have 'a f******* fairtytale of a flick.
everlastallSep 26, 2015
Dark and filled with snark and dry humor, the movie twists between relaxing, clever, intense and hilarious. Not a fan of the little speech at the end, but otherwise I loved this film.
awesomefastguyJul 19, 2014
'In Bruges' is my third favourite film of all time and there's a reason for that- the dialogue is witty, the performances very strong and the plot is brilliant. Colin Farrell gives the gives performance of his career and Ralph Fiennes is'In Bruges' is my third favourite film of all time and there's a reason for that- the dialogue is witty, the performances very strong and the plot is brilliant. Colin Farrell gives the gives performance of his career and Ralph Fiennes is both menacing and hilarious.

It's not for everyone since it is very violent, but if you like comedy-thrillers you should definitely check it out.
theNILEJun 25, 2015
My friend and I were bored stiff. We got nearly half-way through it before we'd had enough. Unfunny, uninteresting, gave us no reason to watch after the first 15 minutes but we persevered. Totally unrewarding, waste of our lives. Just nothingMy friend and I were bored stiff. We got nearly half-way through it before we'd had enough. Unfunny, uninteresting, gave us no reason to watch after the first 15 minutes but we persevered. Totally unrewarding, waste of our lives. Just nothing at all interesting happened. The dialogue may as well be drivel since I didn't give a damn what they were talking about. The characters were boring, unlikeable, but I just couldn't bare how slow-paced it was... This is perfect torture for a bored person. Expand
benpacoFeb 6, 2014
A great set of actors doing some very ... interesting things. It's not exactly a "sit down with your parents and bond" thing so much as it's just very funny. It's a very dark humor, and honestly a little predictable, but it doesn't try to beA great set of actors doing some very ... interesting things. It's not exactly a "sit down with your parents and bond" thing so much as it's just very funny. It's a very dark humor, and honestly a little predictable, but it doesn't try to be anything more than it is. Expand
MaxHazardNov 11, 2013
What happens when you mix a rated R movie with an over sensitive, stick-up-ass audience? You get something completely underrated. From complaining about the use of the F word or having a fit about non-politically correct jokes, yet not evenWhat happens when you mix a rated R movie with an over sensitive, stick-up-ass audience? You get something completely underrated. From complaining about the use of the F word or having a fit about non-politically correct jokes, yet not even batting a lash over excessive gore and violence, the American poop troop are sure to be offended by this masterpiece of film. Amazingly enough, there are people who would go into this with its rating, categories and summery and be utterly flabbergasted at what they just saw. I can only imagine these same viewers renting Backdoor Sluts 9 and finding themselves perplexed as to why they are watching a bunch of whores getting rammed in the rear. Dear reader, if you are not a prissy princess with the mental IQ of a pile of rotting monkey balls, you might actually enjoy In Bruges. If on the other hand you are currently suffering from butthurtitis, red in the face and about to punch your monitor after reading my review, I kindly ask that you suck on my nuts. Expand
SergeInhoApr 19, 2012
The film is just perfect. Destined to be a cult, well balanced between dark humor (very funny) and blood thrilling scenes. The climax that rises from the first scene to the end probably touches its peak when the music of The Dubliners givesThe film is just perfect. Destined to be a cult, well balanced between dark humor (very funny) and blood thrilling scenes. The climax that rises from the first scene to the end probably touches its peak when the music of The Dubliners gives the film its epic touch. Colin Farrel and Brendan Gleeson are perfect in their roles. Can't think of anything that goes wrong. Masterpiece! Expand